[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's 1999 >be me >go see phantom menace >"wow,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
File: 381591-jarjar2.jpg (101 KB, 600x488) Image search: [Google]
381591-jarjar2.jpg
101 KB, 600x488
>it's 1999
>be me
>go see phantom menace
>"wow, that wasn't that good"
>everyone tells me i'm crazy
>everyone tells me i'm a hater
>everyone says, other than a few things, phantom menace was great
>years later, people admit the phantom menace sucked

>it's 2015
>be me
>go see the force awakens
>"wow, that wasn't that good"
>get same fucking reaction

I guess I'll talk with you faggots about the Force Awakens in a few years when you finally pull your heads out of your asses again.
>>
Other than a few things, TFA was great
>>
>>63820099
But phantom menace was great other than a few things.
>>
Phantom Menace is fun when you can finally make sense of all the political bullshit going on in the first half hour.

Jar Jar is irrelevant. TFA is much better than Phantom Menace though.
>>
>>63820099

> prequels
> dared to do something new, failed in a lot of aspects but it had heart
> disney sequel / reboot
> plays it as safe as possible, better everything than the prequel, but it's all a soulless rehash
>>
>>63820099
both TFA and TPM were nice movies tbf

also, the PS1 phantom menace game was brilliant
>>
>>63820099
You must hang out with fucking faggots because i was 9 when i saw that shit on the theatre and i couldnt believe how fucking bad it was, thesame for myfriends and almosteveryone i knew now, TFA was fufking awesome and since you hang out with faggots you probably areone,soyouropinion is invalidate
>>
>>63820099
yes the denial is strong in the fanboys
>>
>>63820171
this
>>
>>63820247
You type like you are still 9
>>
Let's be honest, The Phantom Menace is ten times better than TFA, prequels are massively underrated because of quirky redditors "le prequels are bad mmmkay epic maymay", Lucas is a fantastic director and a real human being, try to watch Red Tails if you want to see a good war movie. Hating on Lucas or prequels is literally reddit-tier
>>
>>63820099
It's stylistically designed to be that way.
>>
>>63820099
The Phantom Menace is better than The Force Awakens tbcfahwyl
>>
>>63820171
I liked TFA but to be fair it felt like a Disney movie, if they started singing after the starkiller was destroyed I woudn't have been surprised
>>
>>63820331
yea for sure
>>
>>63820331
This desu
>>
>>63820331
>Lucas is a fantastic director

better than JJ Hackams but still a mediocre director, at least his movies didn't feel like a TV series though
>>
>>63820328
he's still at the theatre locked in a never ending hate fuelled time warp were he just shits on it on forums all day
>>
>>63820171
I think this was just for the first one, if they continue playing it safe, then there is a problem.
>>
>>63820331
He did not direct Red Tails though.
>>
File: 1449522445764.jpg (135 KB, 502x461) Image search: [Google]
1449522445764.jpg
135 KB, 502x461
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe star wars *isn't* your thing?
>>
>>63820564
they have already announced those young han, young yoda, young boba fett etc. flicks. how is that not proof that they will continue to play it as safe as possible for eternity?
>>
File: 1425879553690.gif (1 MB, 248x254) Image search: [Google]
1425879553690.gif
1 MB, 248x254
>>63820130
>>63820144
>>
If you are white and support this propaganda bullshit of a movie you are a c.uck and a traitor to your ancestors... that simple.

It is straight up cultrual marxist propaganda aimed at the youth.

That is how cultural marxism works... little steps to the ultimate goal.

And to do this to THE institution of white nerdiness? And many of you still don't get it?

If you support this crap... you're brainwashed, a dolt and a traitor.
>>
File: 477xmdv002pl.jpg (15 KB, 222x205) Image search: [Google]
477xmdv002pl.jpg
15 KB, 222x205
>>63820719
>>
>>63820719
You mean I'm a TRAY-TOR?

I see what you did there, anon. You sneaky fuck.
>>
>>63820719
>that scene when the x-wings pilots talk when they're flying on the starkiller planet
>first shot: the hispanic
>second shot: the woman
>third shot: the fat white guy
>fourth shot: the asian guy back in their headquarters
>fifth shot: the black guy

repeat this for 10 minutes
>>
>>63820640
Those are spinoff movies (Haven't heard of the yoda movie yet) and the Fett movie may not get made at all. Just because they are based on popular characters, does not mean the plots of those movie will be played safe.
>>
File: 1280.png (260 KB, 600x345) Image search: [Google]
1280.png
260 KB, 600x345
>>63820099
Honestly, They should have just remade A New Hope, retell the story with better tech for the new Generation if they were gonna rehash the shit out of the movies.
>>
>>63820171
Stop with this "the prequels had heart" crap, it hurts my brain to read so much bullshit.
>>
File: 1435390144602.gif (1 MB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
1435390144602.gif
1 MB, 191x200
>>63820871
forced diversity and "muh grl power!"
Fuck that Jew Abrams
>>
>>63820922
it wasn't that good but at least it has a story and was not a rehash of other star Wars movies
>>
>>63820171
The prequels were awful and you are a millennial cunt who should kill yourself.
>>
>>63820719
and this
>>
>>63820922
Phantom Menace had heart.

Everyone hating Jar Jar Binks hurt Lucas's feelings. The other two were just depressing messes as a result. Lucas supposedly stopped using the Internet after all the Jar Jar hate.
>>
>>63820922
what do you expect from millennial scum? they were brainless babbys when the prequels came out so they loved them and it's not like they grew up since then.
>>
>>63820959
it's actually not a bad message but it should have been done with more subtlety, that scene was pretty ridiculous tbf

I think they're gonna fix this problem by making 4 or 5 different versions of every movie in the next years, one for the hispanics, one for the whites etc
>>
>>63820989
Force Awakens had a story too. Stop using words you do not know the meaning of.
>>
>>63820099
Phantom Menace was always dope and the haters were always jackasses.
>>
>>63820959
Diversity has been in Star Wars since Empire. Empire, the one you faggots love, started this shit.

Girl power has been around since Leia.
>>
>It's 2017
>Star Wars 8 is out
>OP thinks to himself "This will suck but you gotta see it man. You have a duty."
>OP sees the movie.
>"Damn, it sucked. Will those plebs ever learn? Will they ever listen?"
>>
>>63821044
duuuh, it was a story rehash of Episode 4 and nothing more
>>
>>63821044
>Force Awakens had a story too
Yeah, but I liked it better when it was called A New Hope.
>>
>>63820331
Is this the hottest new shitpost that redditors are forcing here?
>>
File: doge.jpg (147 KB, 815x389) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
147 KB, 815x389
>>63821060

>let's find out in 2019 when sw9 comes out!
>>
>>63820581
The movie was almost finished when Lucas decided a couple of scenes needed tweaking, so he ended up reshooting practically the entire film and directing those reshoots himself.
>>
Frankly recently I have come to appreciate the prequels a lot more. They do have flaws but are still weird original fantasy movies with amazing world building. The Force Awakens is just bland, there is nothing there to whet my imagination...
>>
>>63821023
>I think they're gonna fix this problem by making 4 or 5 different versions of every movie in the next years, one for the hispanics, one for the whites etc

that would be racist as fuck tbf senpai... it'd be literally segregation 2.0. no way will that happen.
>>
>The entire first scene was a carbon copy of the first scene in ep IV.
Where exactly is the point where something goes from being a homage to just being plagarism? TFA really straddled that line.
>>
File: millennial-disease.jpg (47 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
millennial-disease.jpg
47 KB, 500x314
>>63821205
>>
File: fhfhj.png (55 KB, 213x160) Image search: [Google]
fhfhj.png
55 KB, 213x160
>>63820343
episode 1 felt more like a disney movie
>>
File: tumblr_lsh5vrbx1h1qfq39h.png (180 KB, 460x348) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lsh5vrbx1h1qfq39h.png
180 KB, 460x348
>>63820719
Is this going to be the new pasta for the upcoming star wars movies?
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 852x480
>>63821013
Phantom Menace is a sunny flick that chooses to look on the bright side. It's a little overcomplicated and dull, but it doesnt piss in anyone's face.

Attack of the Clones is overemotional, and finally bittersweet.

Revenge of the Sith, I kind of forget, but there's an unexplained death of Padme that any amateur detective would probably be interested in.
>>
>>63820171
> It had heart
> It was shamelessly trying to sell toys and make everything "cool" with lame CGI

Choose one. Be wise.
>>
File: star_wars_consume.jpg (277 KB, 648x960) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_consume.jpg
277 KB, 648x960
>>63820922
>>63821018
>>63821005
nobody's saying the prequels were good, you retards

they were genuinely bad as films and in their execution. the script and the portrayal of it were terrible. the actors, even the legitimately talented ones, were hindered by Lucas's "direction"

TFA is better in its execution and presentation but has nothing new and is basically just fan service. the general plot outline of the prequels was perfectly fine, it was the specifics of the execution where it became a problem. they could have been great films if Lucas had just taken an exec producer role and not directed them.

but at least the prequels expanded the canon and gave way to other Star Wars media (Battle for Naboo, the Starfighter series, the Old Republic games, Battlefront, etc), while TFA destroys a mountain of established canon in favor of fanfic-tier rehashing of a plot we've seen before.

if VIII and IX turn out to be rehashes of V and VI as well, this new trilogy will be equally shit in a different way from the prequels.
>>
>>63821452
don't kid yourself anon, Star Wars has always been big on merchandising from day one

that doesn't change the fact that the originals were quality films while every film after them has been shit
>>
>>63820099
The fuck are you taking about?

Almost all of /tv/ hates it too.
>>
File: image.jpg (972 KB, 2582x1576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
972 KB, 2582x1576
A New Hope was a little different in structure from TFA, right?
>>
>>63820719
>People are actually THIS paranoid
>>
>>63822165
Yes. TFA is actually a mix of AHN,TESB and ROTJ.

What you are showing is The Hero's Journey, and most blockbusters fit that
>>
TFA was mediocre, the Phantom menace was a bad.
>>
>>63822286
*bad movie
>>
>>63821770
>almost all of /tv/
Wow, that's gotta be, like, twenty people or something.

Also, those twenty people unironically think Jews are trying to brainwash white women into falling in love with blacks in an attempt to kill off the white race.

I guess what I'm saying is who gives a shit what /tv/ thinks, because it's certainly not the popular reaction.
>>
>>63820099

I thought everyone on 4chan agreed that it sucked. Only brainwashed normies think it's anything beyond a 5/10.
>>
Why does the Empire have like 2 Star Destroyers now?
How can they afford giant not-death stars when they can't even afford a fleet to protect their planet?
>>
>>63820616
>You know this is a dumb scifi series for babies and manchildren right?
>If want to think go watch Star Trek.
>>
Depends how good/bad the rest is. When AotC came it that was even worse than TPM and even most of the diehard fans had to admit the whole this was a fucking disaster.
>>
>>63822271
Nope.

>ANH starts with a young woman on a mission for the rebellion
>TFA starts with a young man on a mission for the resistance
>ANH: young woman gets caught by a Darth Vader
>TFA: young man gets caught by a Darth Kylo Ren
>ANH: young woman gives the plans to a droid, droid escapes capture on desert planet of tatooine
>TFA: young man gives the map to a droid, droid escapes capture on desert planet of jakku
>ANH: droid gets captured by little alien dudes, sold to farmer and his adopted son (who is a young man with a powerful destiny)
>TFA: droid gets captured by a little alien dude, saved by an orphan (who is a young woman with a powerful destiny)

Now, this is the tricky part, because they switch it up here.

>ANH: young man meets another young man, first order (re:empire) chases them, but they escape the desert planet on a millennium falcon
>TFA: young woman meets a young man who knows the droids owner, the empire chases them, they escape on a millennium falcon
>ANH: millennium falcon gets captured by a big station, action ensues, they save a princess, they escape
>TFA: millennium falcon gets captured by a big ship, action ensues, they save an old man, they escape

Also, Han Solo is TFA's Obi-Wan Kenobi, just introduced slightly later. Check it.
>kenobi and han solo both act as connection to the past for the newbies
>kenobi and han solo both take the characters to an alien bar
>kenobi and han solo both get killed by a darth dude while the main characters watch, and main character is like nooooooooo and shoots and then runs off
>kenobi was killed by darth vader who was anakin skywalker who was like a son to him, han solo was killed by kylo ren who was ben solo (mother was a skywalker) who was han solo's actual son
>both killed by a red lightsaber

There's more, too.
>ANH: x-wings attack death star, looks like they're going to lose, han helps, x-wings win!
>TFA: x-wings attack starkiller, looks like they're going to lose, han help, x-wings win!
>>
>>63823698
Whoops, made a mistake and called the Empire the First Order in a part, but seriously, it doesn't matter. They're the fucking Empire.

All this shit is the same shit. It's just A New Hope renamed and redone.
>>
TFA was a typical Disney blockbuster. It might as well have been part of the Marvel universe.
>>
>>63820099
only a retard would defend tfa. It wasn't horrible, not as horrible as the prequels, but its full of problems
>>
>>63820171
>had heart
>heart
>sand
>>
>>63820871
fucking this
>>
>jar jar binks vs joss whedon shitty jokes all over the place

>double bladed lightsaber duels vs edgy lightsaber crossguard

Honestly i'd go for another george lucas star wars that could actually be a breakaway hit or a film full of monstrously bad idea's.

Then another 2 completely forgettable rehashed movies.
>>
>>63820099
TFA had some major problems with the script, but apart of that it was at least a very competently made movie.

TPM didn't have anything except for design going for it, and I think the prequels were designed better than TFA.
>>
>>63820099
Normies only like movies to hop on the hype train so they can fit in their social peers. It doesn't matter what you actually think about the movie, you just gotta be with it dude xD
>>
>>63820170
no it's not
>>
>>63820099
a glib facsimile
>>
>>63824343
>competently made movie
>movie's pace is fucking all over the place
>characters meet each other and then a few scenes later they're best friends forever for no fucking reason
>once the millennium falcon gets introduced, it's a constant barrage of shit people liked from old movies being introduced one after the other
>hey here's han and chewie
>hey here's leia
>hey here's c3p0
>hey here's r2
>oh r2 doesn't work any more frowny face
>oh he works again for no reason smiley face
>hey here's luke
>poe is dead and then he's not and there's no explanation for it
>han dies like a fucking chump
>boyega can't act
>daisy can't act
>best actor is bb-8 lol
>captain phasma sucks as a character and then goes into the bin
>her character design sucked
>kylo ren looks fucking dumb
>the settings are dumb and uninspired
>get introduced to that mean alien who tries to catch bb-8, then lol never see his dumbass again
>old cantina was just better in every way than new cantina
>leia looks like the fucking emperor
>luke looks like a fat old cosplayer
>weird ass daniel craig cameo takes you out of the film wondering if that was fucking james bond as a dumbass stormtrooper (it fucking was!)

TFA sucked shit. It's the modern day Phantom Menace.
>>
>>63820099
phantom manace 1999 critics hate it
force awashihpäskndfölmgb .ä<YDTGFLJM zäöpldsmä.f-DB ysjmzkr nbdztjkmn
>>
>>63820959
This
>>
>>63820871
Slightly unrelated but I want someone to make a compilation of Finn running up to the camera with his mouth open, breathing heavily. It must have happened at least 5 times during the entire film and it looked retarded.
>>
Denial is a powerful thing
>>
File: 1450109548994.jpg (20 KB, 270x300) Image search: [Google]
1450109548994.jpg
20 KB, 270x300
>>63820171
This, Lucas will never forgive the fans now
>>
>>63820171
>Prequels had heart
>Padme dies of a broken heart in the last of the prequel trilogy
Lucas is a fucking genius
>>
>>63820919
that's what they fucking did, dumbass. They just kept the older characters in the story so that people don't realize it. They're just passing the stupid-ass torch.
>>
Preech!
>>
>>63821621
>but at least the prequels expanded the canon
and in the process, shit all over the ideas established by the OT
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.