[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are we all pretending mary sues can't be fun and likeable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: a cute.jpg (38 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
a cute.jpg
38 KB, 768x431
Why are we all pretending mary sues can't be fun and likeable characters?
>>
what's a mary sure?
>>
>>63818216
a new buzzword edgy cunts repeat for the sake of getting some responses before calling their moms to say "look mom, i got a reply on the 4channel"
>>
>>63818321
Mary Sue is not something new, holy fuck, you must be at least 18 to post on these boards kid
>>
>>63818216
Any character that is given abnormal abilities and amazing plot armor to accomplish tasks that should be utterly impossible as a means of wish fullfillment of the writer.

ie she's a feminist insert.
>>
>>63818463

> implying an old concept can't suddenly become a meme that contrarian dorks bring up without fail
>>
She must be Luke's kid then because Luke was a Gary Stu himself in ANH.
>>
i fucking hate everything you cant be what you want i believed wil smith but it was fucking bullshit ill always be a mcdonalds server at best fuck you i fucking wish you get raped by niggers
>>
>>63818551
There are about a billion characters like that. All you do by getting upset by this one in particular is confirm feminists beliefs that everyone is anti-women.
>>
>>63818216
fuck off, reddit
>>
>>63818321
>new
>>
>>63818616
Luke was the main character... it was his story.

Rey is just another character. It's not just her story.
>>
Its not that they can't be fun or likeable, but characters tend to be more likeabe when they're relatable and most people can't relate to constantly having an unlikely solution to difficult problems at every turn.
>>
>>63818187
I liked her but seriously you can't defend how she somehow whooped the shit out of Kylo Ren at the end.

Like seriously, she gets captured and overpowered a fucking trained force user. She then somehow knows what a jedi mind trick is despite not even knowing about the existence of the force or jedi previously (she thought they were myth)

Then Kylo Ren says "the force" in their duel and she closes her eyes for like 2 seconds then starts kicking his ass like it's nothing

Seriously she's a fucking mary sue and its bullshit, I hope she gets taken down a few pegs in the next film
>>
>>63818216

a female version of the archetype luke skywalker defined

oh wait, we're supposed to hate anything new here
>>
>>63818672
She's very clearly the primary protagonist of this trilogy.
>>
>>63818187
Because /tv/ is pretending like SW, and everything about it in the slightest, is the worst thing ever.
>>
File: 1408557918649.jpg (38 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
1408557918649.jpg
38 KB, 620x350
>>63818672

you're fucking dumb as fuck
>>
Because not being fun or likeable is pretty much part of the definition of a Mary Sue
>>
>>63818735
dude did just get shot up with chewie's big fuckoff bowcaster
>>
>>63818817
even then this was the same fucker who used force powers we haven't seen before (freezing blaster bolts n shit)

Also he fucked up Luke's new order. Then gets beaten by the first teen that wanders along with a lightsaber.

Not to mention how hard he struggled with Finn
>>
>>63818888
He was shot directly in the side with one of the most powerful handheld blasters in the canon, was bleeding severely from it, and had literally just killed his own father.

He was extremely nerfed.
>>
>>63818802
She is likeable and fun though.
>>
>>63819032
Not only that but all through the movie they were hyping up how powerful the bowcaster actually was.
>>
>>63818187
But she isn't likeable. She's dull, boring and irritating.
>>
>>63819032

Not him but I don't buy it. Like he should have been able to at least kill her with the force. I mean Ren was clearly extremely powerful because he had already mastered shit like the mind probe and could freeze people and fucking lasers with his mind. The sheer natural talent that Rey would have to possess to avoid just being killed with the force would have to be some Dragon Ball Z shit.
>>
>>63819243
The Force requires focus. Ren was the absolute opposite of focused at that moment.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 225x224
It was JUST what I expected, this rehash is nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer. Akira has actually deep philosophical content (if you're one who's into logic) which is vastly more mentally stimulating than anything which Lucas or Abrams has put forth.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy so hard that their perimecium brains would explode!

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, literarily complex, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as *the* highest form of cinema art-form that has ever existed, though traditional "Western" cinema has set the bar so low as to be surpassed by even the most benign of Eastern mythological and cultural storytelling by-products.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing!
>>
>>63819282

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit. It goes without saying that Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan are the go-to action shows for introductionary fans but if you're a fan of something slower then maybe something like Clannad Afterstory (IF YOU'RE OKAY WITH EPIC FEELS THAT IS). The point I'm trying to make is that there's an anime for everybody :P

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little babies.
>>
>>63818763
except luke had weaknesses

luke didnt get his powers in 5 minutes

And mark hammil could actually act
>>
Mary Sues/Marty Stus are fine, and many, many protagonists fall into the category.
Luke was more of a Marty Stu than Rey.
>>
>>63818672
Uh, what? Rey is clearly the protagonist of the new trilogy.
>>
>>63818888
Darth Vader stops Han solo shooting him in Cloud City
>>
>>63819282
The Akira anime is garbage, if I watched it as a child I would have shrugged it off because of the garbage third act. The manga is a million times better, and I pray they use it as the source material instead of the anime for this inevitable remake they keep threatening us with.
>>
>>63819243
Kylo couldn't use the Force properly because his mind was fucked up, and Rey probably has some prior training at Luke's academy (myserious past and all that).

Plus, Kylo's training was incomplete and Rey likely has a greater natural potential than Kylo.
>>
File: PnpE9.gif (499 KB, 272x178) Image search: [Google]
PnpE9.gif
499 KB, 272x178
But OP - they are fun and likable, they possess every possible positive attribute that a character can be.
>>
>>63818321
fucking retard
>>
>>63818616
hello reddit
Luke was not a Gary Sue in New Hope. He was a whiney, ineffectual bitch who sucked at almost everything except piloting

What made Luke's arc rewarding was that you watched him get better/learn stuff/grow up. And even in Jedi, he only wins by losing.
>>
>>63819644
>Hello reddit
Momma, look how sophisticated in 4chan's inner culture am I!
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.