[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'm the bad guy? How did that happen? https://www.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: fallingdown[1].jpg (31 KB, 704x304) Image search: [Google]
fallingdown[1].jpg
31 KB, 704x304
>I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

That line and this scene have more emotional impact than anything in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
>>
>>63817828
>45 y.o. man is defining himself as "bad" or "good"
Wew, lad, it's the same crap for manchildren. as SW.
>>
>>63817958
>implying this movies sophisticated message doesn't fly completely over your head

The entirety of Star Wars can't compare with the artistry exhibited in Falling Down.
>>
>>63818014
>sophisticated message
White cuckolds are suffering, I get it.
>>
>>63818211
Guess again.
>>
>>63817828
Of course gordon gekko was the bad guy. Did he even read the script?
>>
Poor guy. Real tragic hero.
>>
>>63818014
>artistry exhibited in Falling Down

alright stop what you're doin cause I'm about to ruin the image and style that you're use to
>>
>>63819558
what
>>
Of course all of the angry manchildren here identify with this jackass.
>>
>>63819596
D-FENS did literally nothing wrong. He never drew first blood. Except for blowing up the construction site, maybe.
>>
>>63819630

Threatening minimum wage fast food workers with a gun is probably a bit unethical.
>>
>>63819650
I don't know. I mean who hasn't wanted to shoot service industry workers from time to time?
>>
getting autistically upset at fast food staff about not being able to get a breakfast sandwich and shooting into the ceiling will do that
>>
Why didn't noone have a gun? I thought this is Murrica.
>>
>>63819691

I always sympathize with them because it's shitty work that is completely devoid of any accolades and it's one of the few professions that's socially acceptable to demean.
>>
>>63819750
It's Los Angeles, they have some of the strictest gun control in the country.
>>
>>63817828

This film, man... Always loved it...

Kills a bunch of spic gang bangers and a Neonazi and is repaid with a bullet from a government worker.
>>
>>63817828
Moral relativism happened
>>
>>63819815
It's rather surprising he doesn't encounter any black gang members but I guess that PC was pretty big even back in the early 1990s.
>>
>>63818211

Haha he said cuck again xD
>>
>whole movie D-FENS is strong, steady and taking a stand
>mortally wounded when the cop corners and shoots him at Venice
>falls off the pier
>roll credits
>'Falling Down'
>>
>>63817828
for you
>>
>>63819845
explain
>>
>>63819862
>falling down
>PC
lol
>>
>>63819952
It is though. You might have a point if Douglas' character didn't die at the end.
>>
File: banking.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
banking.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>63819773
Lotta good those tight gun laws did them
>>
>falling down
as opposed to falling up?
>>
File: seriousfeels.jpg (60 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
seriousfeels.jpg
60 KB, 500x599
I would've got you.
>>
File: 1068856-economicallyviable[1].jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1068856-economicallyviable[1].jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
Best scene of the movie coming through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7oglIAdnJM

>Don't forget me
>>
>>63819984
>messes up Asian owner over Coke can price gouging
>Mexicans are scummy gangsters who steal and partake in drive-by shooting
>that surplus store owner who openly berates gays, Africans and Jews
>Zyklon B
>manslaughtering the elderly
>wanton destruction of public property with military-grade equipment
>women are timebomb homewreckers no matter how well you provide
Basically, the movie takes a swing at everybody in America, rich and poor, white and minority, The Man and the idiots behind the counter at McDonald's who can't diffuse a situation. It's very much neutral in that respect of heaping blame on any one group of individual.
>>
DUDE ENTITLEMENT LMAO
>>
>>63817828
That one and only confrontation of the 2 main characters was amazing. It really had an emotional pull when you see Duvall approach Douglass, like one way or another someone's dying.
>>
>>63821475
>D-FENS in black
>Duvall in grey (morally ambiguous)

Pure pottery.
>>
I'll take movies that could never be made today for 500 Alex
>>
>>63820346
best part of a pretty decent movie along with schumaker's idiosyncrasies

anyone else feel like douglas plays a pretty good white guy, not many jews could pull that off
>>
Douglas' character did nothing wrong, as evidenced by the fact that the dog was happy to see him and sad when he died.
>>
bump for best movie to emerge from the 90s
>>
his wife was so cute when she was crying in the video
>>
>>63825172
seek help
>>
>>63825308
you misinterpret me i do not think she was cute because she was crying, rather i was using that as a marker for the moments i was talking about
the angle was perfect and made her look very nice
>>
>>63825308
Tears are a kind of lubricant, Anon.
Can he help it if his weiner pauses and say 'Yes'?
>>
>>63817828
Joel Schumacher is a shit director but this is definitely his masterpiece
>>
>>63825438
Has he even made anything new since the 90s?
>>
>>63825545
The Number 23 was...interesting.
>>
>You are now aware that Duvall's wife murdered their daughter.
>>
>cinema
>on my /tv/
gg, op, you're gunna piss off the starcucks and capeshitters with this but it's nice to see art posted here again. keep fighting the good fight.
>>
>>63825703
Not out of the realm of possibility, wasn't there a story Duvall told about her where she running away from ghosts like Lady Macbeth? Both the wife characters were the worst people in the film, was that intended as a subtle ant-marriage message?
>>
>>63825768
>Falling Down
>art

Are you serious?
>>
>>63825843
Don't be such a cunt.
>>
>>63825816

I forget. I remember that

1. She's crazy and unbalanced.
2. She's desperate for his attention.
3. Their child died of SIDS despite being out of the age range for such a thing.

Munchausen by proxy.
>>
>>63825843
sorry it's not izombie or supergirl, bro. but it sure as fuck is bretty gud for a moobie.
>>
>>63817828

That was great. He paid the full price for going out of control. Very few movies show something like this.

Nowadays he would've killed some other killer who was mysteriously stalking his wife or something and redeemed himself without seppuku.
>>
>>63826136
tfw this is true and what most modern movie goers like >>63825843 this fag want
fuck happy endings
>>
>>63826136
He was definitely a tragic hero figure in the Ancient Greek tradition. Not sure if it induced a cathartic feeling in audiences, though.
>>
>>63819952
Definitely is PC in parts, some good themes though, I understand if it doesn't clcik with afro kids, the American dream is different for different cultures.
>>
>>63826266
I think you have a very loose understanding of what 'PC' is.
>>
>>63826354
"Justifiably" executing a skin head that was just sexist, homophobic and possibly racist wasn't grouped tightly enough for you, it was a 3 minute scene, they probably had to cut the scene where he rapes a dog.
>>
>>63826508
>buying into the meme
yeah, the nazi got shot. so did the immigrant and the mexicunt gangbangers got fucked too. there's nothing pc about treating all shitheads equally.
>>
I love the movie depicts LA as the absolute hellhole it is. I mean, they show degenerate homeless people dying of AIDS laying in parks next to kids playing happily. What a fucking bleak juxtaposition.
>>
>>63826597
>buying into equality message
He white-knighted for some causes and had different personal reason for others, the distinction is there and it isn't equal.
>>
Is this the original Breaking Bad?
>>
>>63826860
Not even similar in any way.
>>
>>63825816
Douglas' mother is the worst. she is shown to be a likely source of his quick temperament and paranoia when they visit her

duvalls wife is mostly just crazy and draining on his own sanity, but not necessarily a bad person. and douglas' wife had good reason to leave him
>>
I did like the throwback to 8 and a half in the opening scene, could tell it was going to be a patrician movie.
>>
>>63827371
So it just depends how crazy your wife is and what you are willing to put up with from her that determines how insane you will go. Good to know.
>>
>>63819691
That's retarded. Of course a dumb NEET who has never worked wouldn't understand
>>
>that scene where the cops question his ex and she is so vague and dumb they roll their eyes and leave
Imagine that today
>SEXIST! BLAMING THE VICTIM! BOYCOTT THIS MYSOGINISTIC FILM!
>>
>>63827646
The wife was totally at fault, based on what we see in the movie. Sure the guy had a quick temper, but he clearly loved his wife and daughter and wanted to give them the American Dream as he believed it to be. As he said "I did everything right," but that just wasn't enough in the degenerate society he inherited. He really is a tragic figure, since his downfall resulted from his inability to deal with the insincerity, hypocrisy, and valueless behavior of everyone around him. He was a sane man in an insane world who couldn't help but be destroyed by it in the end.

The movie vindicates D-FENS as a good man at his core by showing his interactions with his dog. The dog is happy to see him, hangs out with him while he is in the house watching the home movies, and is sad when he dies. It's subtle but it definitely gets the point across.
>>
File: 4026-6009.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
4026-6009.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
> white man spends months living life as the average black man
> flips his shit because of it

booohooo, cry me a fucking river.
>>
>>63828236

>average black man

>caring enough about his kids to get them birthday presents
>>
>>63828236

>average black man

>having a job to get laid off from in the first place
>>
>>63828279
you're right. a black protag would spend half the movie behind bars for what he did to the korean shop owner. hell, probably would be dead 10 minutes into the film.

whitey got to utilize that white privilege.
>>
>>63828306
>>average black man
>>having a job to get laid off from in the first place
also correct, a black protag would never get hired. once more, whitey utilizing his privilege.
>>
>>63828236
>average black man

demanding to pay the proper market price for a cold coke rather than just stealing it.
>>
>>63828374

>conveniently forgetting that the cops shoot an entirely unarmed D-FENS as soon as they catch up to him

actually p. interesting now that I think about it, the parallel between DFENS feigning having a gun with a waterpistol and that black kid with his hand in his pocket
>>
>>63828443
D-FENS was deliberate suicide by cop though, the kid probably didn't know what the fuck he was doing.
>>
>>63817828

got a "d'aww" out of me
>>
>>63828443
> tell cop you've got a gun
> draw on him with water pistol

he a good boi, he dindu nuffin wrong.
>>
I'm confused why some people think he is the hero of this movie?
>>
>>63828436
>demanding to pay the proper market price for a cold coke rather than just stealing it.
except he doesn't get that demand that, he stole that coke.
>>
>>63828805
He repeatedly vanquishes evil
>>
>>63828805
he stands up for good
does he even actually murder anybody other than the neonazi and kind of the old man?
>>
>>63828805
because he's white. make him black and he'd instantly be a troublesome thug.
>>
>>63828890

He shoots the lady cop when they're chasing him at the house but it's a fleshwound
>>
>>63826179
It never has for me. I felt bad for him. The way he died and what he died for is probably the reason for no catharsis. Too realistic an ending.

The rabid dog got put down. Even though the film showed people getting away with worse shit, until they met him
>>
>>63828805
He's a tragic figure in the classic sense. He's definitely painted more as the protagonist of the film and modern society in general, represented by Duvall, is the antagonist. It's a classic American underdog story with strains of populism and righteous/regenerative violence and vengeance.

Basically it's a movie only Americans could produce and I wouldn't expect most non-Americans to understand it.
>>
File: douglasamericanpresident2.jpg (71 KB, 395x188) Image search: [Google]
douglasamericanpresident2.jpg
71 KB, 395x188
>>63817828
>You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and hand guns. I consider them a threat to national security, and I will go door to door if I have to, but I'm gonna convince Americans that I'm right, and I'm gonna get the guns.

That speech and this scene have more emotional impact than anything in Falling Down.
>>
>>63828979
lel, what movie is this?
>>
File: 1435205203278.jpg (118 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1435205203278.jpg
118 KB, 640x480
>>63817828
Even the Star Wars CGI cartoon has a better scene than that m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GquX0agvzJM
>>
>>63819691
>I said no onions. they deserve death right? lmao
>>
>>63829822
he didn't even kill them you spastic
>>
>from the director of Batman and Robin
>>
>>63828963
>Basically it's a movie only Americans could produce and I wouldn't expect most non-Americans to understand it.
It's literally Europe: the movie, the script was basically written by Nietzsche with Russian classics as the co-writers.
>>
>>63820347

Economically viable is the only black dude in the film and he's basically the other side of the d-fens coin which is resistance through peaceful protest rather than violence
>>
File: God_bless_america_ver2.jpg (37 KB, 324x481) Image search: [Google]
God_bless_america_ver2.jpg
37 KB, 324x481
>>63822609
They tried, but it sucked massive donkey dick
>>
>>63831060

A glib facsimile
>>
>>63831179
hello wizzie
>>
Can't you retards see even D-FENS himself realizes how much of an asshole he is when watching old family videos? And what was he going to do if he succeeded in kidnapping his own daughter and ex? Shoot them and kill himself, Duvall is the hero of the movie. A true patriot
>>
>>63831431
i don't think he was going to kill his daughter and ex
i think he was going to spend the day with them and then go home and blow his brains out
>>
>>63825438
>his masterpiece
>not 8MM
u dun goofed
>>
>>63831431
>Shoot them and kill himself
Why would you think that, are you insane?
>>
>>63831431
That's not what would have happened at all. Okay, maybe he would have killed the wife, but he wouldn't have hurt his daughter.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.