[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's true, all of it. It was shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: forceawakens.jpg (101 KB, 529x352) Image search: [Google]
forceawakens.jpg
101 KB, 529x352
-Safely made formulaic plot taken from ANH and injected/recycled with elements of the other films
-Turned "Disney-esque", made even more tame and for children than the Original Trilogy from FOX
-Villain is like a whiny and edgy emo teenager with daddy issues, "But dad, I want to rebel! Why can't I be on the dark side?! All the cool kids are doing it!"
-Music is surprisingly forgettable and for a sequel to the Original Trilogy, lacks many of the themes from it
-Politically correct characters inserted everywhere. Strong independent womyn know everything (Rey), are leaders (it's not Princess Leia, it's General Leia), but the men don't.
-The space battles and land battles are surprisingly lame/less fun and weaker than the Original Trilogy, a trilogy that this flick is so nostalgic on
-Han Solo and Chewy are given a shitty reveal without any momentum building. They just walk in and we're just supposed to clap.
-Scenes drag on and meander
-Important plot elements are not explained, wtf JJ?
-Luke is only 30 seconds in, his wtf facial expression mirrors ours, seriously, wtf?

Why do you people like this?
>>
Terrible
>>
>>63811659
>They just walk in and we're just supposed to clap.

My theater did clap.
>>
It's a mix of good and shit basically

> Shit

Rey is the most PC feminist-pandering character ever.

Story wise, it's a rehash of A New Hope + the "father/son confrontation on a dramatic bridge over a huge drop" scene from Empire.

> Good

Absolutely incredible visual style.

Bits of light humor work really well.

Some satisfying light saber fights.

I just walked away feeling like the film was well-made technically but that I hated everything it represents.
>>
>>63811858

>Rey is the most PC feminist-pandering character ever.

How? The hand holding thing? Because other than that I don't see it

Sounds like you just don't like women, buddy boy
>>
>>63811937

Dude, she has that classic ball-busting 'female always right' dynamic with Finn, she gets Jedi powers with no training, and she wins the sword fight with Darth Vader 2.0 when she's never used a light-saber before. If you can't see how this is pandering you're so deep in the kool aid as to be beyond saving.

> Sounds like you just don't like women, buddy boy

It sounds like your brain is literally nothing more than an extension of the media-industrial complex and you are basically an automaton.
>>
>>63811857
Pretty sure every theater did, just like every screening screamed at the millenium falcon and at Vader's helmet
>>
>>63812068
>Darth Vader 2.0

Please do not compare that edgy whiny emo teenager to the badass that is Darth Vader. Kylo was a very weak and whiny villain.
>>
"It draws power from the sun"
Lines like this shit here pisses me off
>>
>>63811659

>-Turned "Disney-esque", made even more tame and for children than the Original Trilogy from FOX
>implying this isn't better than Anakin "I KILLED ALL OF THEM, EVEN THE CHILDREN PLEASE MARRY ME PADME" Skywalker

>>63812117

I was sort of digging Kylo until he took the mask off. But I liked everything else about the movie because I'm a pleb with no taste, so I'm not complaining too much.
>>
>>63811659
>-Luke is only 30 seconds in, his wtf facial expression mirrors ours, seriously, wtf?

>"There's a reason Luke isn't in the trailers or posters."

Lol JJ you fucktard
>>
>>63811858
>Rey is the most PC feminist-pandering character ever.

This isn't a good reason to not like a movie.
>>
The script was cheesey as fuck. Especially the comedy scenes
>>
>>63812277
>Mark Hamill: I had to lose 50 pounds for the role
>I had to lose 50 pounds for 30 seconds of screentime, where I had a big ass beard that covered my face, and a huge ass robe that covered my belly, so why the fuck did I have to lose the weight again?
JJ: Uh...
>>
>>63811937
im not your buddy, pal
>>
I hated how fucking easy it was to just fly into Death Star World and blow it up in under a minute. Like goddamn. There wasn't even a struggle, I think I saw one xwing blow up.
>>
>>63811659
>-Politically correct characters inserted everywhere. Strong independent womyn know everything (Rey), are leaders (it's not Princess Leia, it's General Leia), but the men don't.

I must have been imagining that part where Finn and Poe came up with the whole attack plan
>>
>ctrl + f "glib"
> 0 results

your shit's weak
>>
>>63812117
This.
Kylo hasn't even finished his training yet. He's nowhere NEAR Darth Vader's level. That, and he was fucking INJURED before fighting Rey.

Plus, Rey is obviously Luke's daughter somehow, so she's very in tune with the Force.
In fact, I wouldn't even say it was Rey that beat Kylo, so much as it was the Force itself that did. She channeled the force, and let it guide her.
>>
Can't believe Abrams went with the well despised Emo-angsty villain route that the prequels took with Anikan. Welp "A film is only as good as its villain." -Nicholas Meyer.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 1024x653) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 1024x653
30 seconds of grace?
>>
>>63812531
Well, Han said it himself, "He had too much Vader in him".
>>
>>63812372
Seriously though, how hard would it have been to do the same thing using post production
>>
>>63812068
>Dude, she has that classic ball-busting 'female always right' dynamic with Finn, she gets Jedi powers with no training, and she wins the sword fight with Darth Vader 2.0 when she's never used a light-saber before. If you can't see how this is pandering you're so deep in the kool aid as to be beyond saving.

She learned from Kylo, she looked into his mind. Kylo is barely any better trained and he had a hole in his stomach.
>>
>>63812412
Then you may need your eyes checked
>>
>>63811659
I loved it, fuck your anti-PC /pol/ bullshit, your fucking redneck filth kind disgusts me.
>>
File: 4EqettT.jpg (125 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
4EqettT.jpg
125 KB, 1224x1224
>>63811659
>Why do you people like this?
I mean, look at the first line of your post:
>Safely made
That's it, that's all you need. It wasn't the prequels and it was nearly the same film as A New Hope. That's enough for most people.

I thought it was mediocre and would have preferred a prequel-tier movie we could have shitposted about for another decade.
>>
File: The_Stray_00024.png (665 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The_Stray_00024.png
665 KB, 1280x720
>>63812411
Am I really your Pal
>>
>>63812068

>It sounds like your brain is literally nothing more than an extension of the media-industrial complex and you are basically an automaton.

Holy shit you are autistic
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 598x239) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 598x239
But Kylo was good?
>>
>Starts in space before moving to a desert planet
>Someone strong in the force lives there
>They're also a crack-shot pilot
>they discover this thanks to an old mentor character who tells them about the force
>said mentor character gets killed by the Sith apprentice of the movie
>there's a fight in space, the bad guys' ship/base gets blown up
>the person strong in the force goes to train their Jedi powers

Now, am I talking about Episode 1, 4, or 7?
>>
File: JJ Plagarism.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
JJ Plagarism.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63812923
>>
>>63812841
Kylo is a little pussy bitch
>>
>>63812808
im not that anon but you literally "refuted" his points with a known feminist meme
>any criticism means you are a virgin misogynist XD XD

I know big movie events bring in the tumblrfaggots, but you can at least try not to be so obvious

that being said Rei (Ray? Reigh??) isnt really a feminist character. I liked the "dont hold my hand" because it went against an all too often used troupe

she is a gigantic mary sue though. That much is undeniable
>>
>>63811659
>Han Solo and Chewy are given a shitty reveal without any momentum building. They just walk in and we're just supposed to clap.
>actually forgetting about the part where the ship is captured and they hide under the floor
>>
>>63812637
"You don't share my exact opinion, go back to /pol/!"
really tired of this meme when will it end? Do you understand that people can like what they like and dislike pc culture without being neonazis? it's a crazy backwards thinking idea, i know, how asinine that people would have conflicting opinions on subjective materials.

anyways
>Kylo was great until he took the mask off, then he became Hayden 2.0
>"YOU get a light saber, and YOU get a lightsaber, and YOU get a lightsaber!"
>Literally ANH 2, electric boogaloo, with bonus rehashed daddy issues
>Carry Fisher's "acting"
>"Dude she's just good at the force, of course she can take on a slightly wounded sith knight and just use the force willy nilly even though Luke, who is considered the strongest and only living Jedi took many months with master yoda just to move simple objects"
>Rei knows the answer to literally everything while every man in the movie is busy slipping on banana peels and scratching their heads
>C2PO went from having a red arm before R2 was awake to having another gold one afterwards with literally no explanation
>Spend whole movie jerking off to Luke, literally has no lines
>Rylo could have killed Finn, twice, and Rei, by just twisting his light saber and letting the hilt cut/kill them, and with finn, stabbing him while he was on the ground, but "muh strong plot" demanded he do the angsty teenager snarl and yell instead
fuck this movie
>>
>>63812974
Good, except Han didnt show up until after they got off planet. Other than that, spot on
>>
The thing that bothered me the most is that the film was clearly tailored to the YA audience, basically people who were too young to love star wars, knowing that said YA audiance would go nerdgasmic and say theyve always loved them
>>
>>63811858
The only guy that fucking gets it.

Rey is the worst thing about the movie and she's an awful, pissing drag.

On the other hand, Boyega was very disappointing, underutilized, and marginalized. But it helped push the girl power rhetoric so it's great, I guess.

Other than that dynamic and Rey herself, the movie was enjoyable. It was derivitive but exciting, competant, and as good as a sequel to Star Wars could be; you're not going to surpass the OT, so there's no reason for the film makers to try or for the audience to feel like it should.

But most importantly, it felt like Star Wars. The PT failed at this.
>>
>>63812974
Jesus
>>
>>63813262
The movie was great, you nitpickig little shit, also luke was only on dagobah a couple of days, and c3po didnt har a gold arm after talking to r2d2. This is the starwars move ive waited my whole life for, fuck the haters.
>>
>>63813262
>>63813639
go back and watch. take off your nostalgia goggles friend, these are all legitimate points. Also, the C3PO thing is right too, he has a red arm the whole movie leading up to the last scene where it's suddenly gold again
>>
>Han tells Rey they have to change ship because the empire can track the falcon
>Rey pilots the falcon straight to Luke
kek
>>
>>63813639
literally none of that was nitpicking m80
>>
>>63811659
There are some pretty legitimate criticisms with the way TFA was produced and handled. There are even legitimate criticisms about characters being "too good" archetypes. I'll even believe your complaint about the stormtrooper hero being black, but that's exclusively because I didn't enjoy much of the EU. From my perspective (what I can fuzzily remember from the god-awful II), the Stormtroopers (or at least their predecessors) are supposed to be whatever the fuck race Jango was. Even if more were recruited, it would have been interesting to see a 3rd generation Clone "rebel".

All that said,

Criticizing it for the strong female characters who generally have a better sense of direction than men is fucking retarded, given the context.
It was a running joke in IV-VI that Leia had more common sense and people skills than Han and Luke. $500 says JJ just has a massive hard-on for Leia and wanted a similar character.

I get what you're saying, but do you realize what society in general thinks when they hear criticism like that? I'm not saying it's right, but if you want to actually convince people, try putting some thought into it. If BlackMan was a shitty, contrived character, then criticize it as a shitty, contrived character. The whole PC-to-be-contrarian thing won't stop until the "not-PC-to-be-contrarian" thing also stops.
>>
>>63813262
>THE MEN WERE INCOMPETENT BAAAAWWWWW
Wasn't it the men who came up with the extremely successful plan to blow up the fucking Star Killer? Wasn't it Finn who came up with that rather creative way of getting the shields down?
Wasn't it the combined efforts of Chewbacca and Finn that helped soften up Kylo Ren so that Rey had a chance against him?
Why is it that you ignore all the cool shit that the men in this movie did, and instead choose to focus on Rey? Do you really hate women that much? If Rey had been a dude, you wouldn't be complaining.
>>
>>63814240
it's not even that, I don't give a flying fuck if the hero is a woman, black, white or fucking purple, but how boring is it to sit there and have a Mary Sue who is not only perfect in every way, but in every single scene shes in she has to be the smartest and best in the room. Jesus who wants to watch that? No interesting charactr has ever been without flaws, nobody wants to see someone get everything right. and then to add insult to injury, its always her correcting or going over a man, its not as if she was just the best in the movie, only better than every man, and that's pc tumblr pandering m80. She never corrected or knew more than Leia or the glasses alien, only Han, Rylo and Finn
>>
>>63811659
Literally no clapping or cheering in my cinema at all.
>>
>>63814125
Hello? You may think I'm anti PC but I criticized Kylo Ren, a major white male character of the film. I also criticized Harrison Ford/Han Solo, a white male, for a poor performance in this flick. And Luke/Mark Hamill as well, another white male.

Shut the fuck up.

>>63814240
>If Rey had been a dude, you wouldn't be complaining.

No, I still would. It's the content of their character, not who they resemble.

Rey is a Gary/Mary Sue, she is perfect at everything and it makes her boring and stupid as fuck. If it were a man playing the exact same role, I'd think it's fucking stupid as well, because it is.
>>
it was shit
>>
>>63813423
It was literally a shitty fucking rehash that relied on pandering to nostalgia to carry the movie. For all their flaws, at least the prequel trilogy had a soul.

Go fuck yourself redditor
>>
>>63814975
How you doing, reddit.
>>
>>63814240
How can you fucks be so dumb and blind? Is it so hard to understand that people desire room for development for a protagonist? Fuck, Luke lost his first battle with Vader, and spent a large sum of a movie training, and becoming a better individual. Rey? No, of course not, because it'll be a shame we had some development in place of pandering.
>>
>>63812514

The only way that that would make sense is if she were significantly stronger with the force than Luke or Anakin were. I mean, Luke is supposedly so badass that the entire galaxy is looking for him, but even he needed three movies and two masters to even become a Jedi Knight, let alone a master. Rei would have to be fucking Jesus or something to master high level abilities like the mind trick.

Also that's not really how lightsabers work. Being good with the force doesn't make you good with a lightsaber. Canonically the most powerful Jedi with the force was Yoda, but the best swordsman was Mace Windu, so your explanation still doesn't make sense and Rei still breaks the Force.
>>
>>63812637
I liked it, but just because someone doesn't like PC and the SJW Religion, it doesn't make them a redneck. I live in Manhattan, have two college degrees, make six figures, am an atheist, and I absolutely despise the PC Brainwashing Industrial complex.

You calling anyone who disagrees with your worldview a "redneck" is fairly good sign that you've fully taken to your brainwashing.
>>
>>63812974

I enjoyed the movie. Really did. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. It felt like Star Wars and was fun. That's good enough considering the abortion that started the prequel trilogy, Phantom Menace.

But holy shit this. JJ didn't come up with one damn original thing. He copied everything from the original for shekels.

Glad he's not directing VIII.
>>
I can't decide which is the best comedy moment.

The NOPE Troopers or BB8 and Finn's moment on the Falcon with he thumbs up.
>>
>>63814975
>at least the prequel trilogy had a soul.
He says this as Hayden had the acting skills of a plastic fuck doll.
>>
File: latest.jpg (981 KB, 1456x816) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
981 KB, 1456x816
>>63812974

>Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagiarism "the director"?
>>>No.
>I thought not. It's not a story the Academy would tell you.
>It's a /tv/ legend.
>Darth Plagiarism was a Dark Director of the Reboot, so powerful and so connected he could use the Force to influence the scriptwriters to create copies...
>He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the stories he cared about from dying.
>>>He could actually save plots from death?
>The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be Jewish.
>>>What happened to him?
>He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did.
>Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice rebooted his movies in his sleep.
>It's ironic he could save old movie plots from death, but not himself.
>>
>>63811857

gave JJ my money twice and both times the only time people clapped was when BB8 did a thumbs up
>>
>>63811857
>people clap at the cinema
People know the actors can't hear them right? They aren't at a play. Who would applaud a projector for projecting?
>>
you fuckers really want overt exposition? the thing everyone hated about the prequels? the way it was handled in TFA was great. don't need the past 30 years explained in detail, it doesn't matter
>>
>>63815708
i walked in to the movie not expecting much at all, and i think that's what made it work for me. it really was a fun movie
>>
>>63812531
a flawed human being is a better and more interesting than cartoon badguy (vader in ANH)
>>
>-Music is surprisingly forgettable and for a sequel to the Original Trilogy, lacks many of the themes from it

Honestly this was the biggest issue for me

Barely any original theme stuff until the end and the new music was FORGETTABLE
>>
I just hate how Rey is such a boring character, but being invested in the plot requires you to actually care about her, which I didn't.
>>
>>63814553
And I recognized those criticisms.
I took a point specifically with the one regarding token PC characters. I didn't even fully disagree with that point. I made that pretty clear.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.