[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled, can we all agree it was actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 35467899.png (469 KB, 425x640) Image search: [Google]
35467899.png
469 KB, 425x640
So now that the dust has settled, can we all agree it was actually really terrible? When I saw it at the cinema it felt exciting and after it ended I walked out with a smile on my face. It was the first Star Wars in 10 years after all. But afterwards when I really started to think about it and read up on some of the criticisms others had online it dawned on me that the movie was actually just a stupid nostalgia pandering rehash that shouldn't have been made.
>>
It was a well done film, but it was just such a replay of A New Hope with a bit of Empire thrown in. Good, but SO unoriginal.
>>
>>63811577
I thought it was okay walking out of the theater, but when i sat down and took a shit, i realized how bad the pacing was, how unmemorable the entire thing was, and it was as bad as guardians of the galaxy
>>
It's basically just a glib facsimile.
>>
It's a facile replica
>>
>can we all agree that it was actually really terrible

yeah but it wasn't faggot and I'll fucking refute your points right now
>>
There are some plotholes and some things that don't make sense, but it gets by on the strength of the characters and the cinematography and the dialogue.

So I guess it sort of is like GOTG, in that way, though I think TFA is better.
>>
>>63811577

>I enjoyed it.
>but now that miserable cunts have bitched about it online I'm going to agree with them
>>
>>63811644
Guardians wasn't great but it was better than this
>>
>>63811577
The dust hasn't settled yet get the fuck out of here with that shit.
>>
>>63811577

>Try to make Kylo intimidating and Vadery
>He's actually a confused crying teenager that makes Anakin and Hayden look good

Granted his development in 8 and 9 could make him a great character but god damn he really brought the film down.
>>
>>63811577
Daisy Ridley and John Boyega ruined this movie for me, they have zero charisma. Harrison Ford looked like he didn't want to be there, and Carrie Fisher just looked tired. Thought that Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, and Adam Driver were good though, too bad they had too little screentime. A solid 30 minutes too long as well. At least BB-8 was really cute. 6/10.
>>
where the fuck do I go to talk about actual movies? star wars is NOT THAT BIGGA DEAL
>>
>>63812408
oh my god that was THE POINT you faggot

he's a petulant whiny child playing at being Darth Vader because he can't work out his daddy issues.

I bet you wish the villain was a generic stoic badass who did nothing but show up at the end for the lightsaber battle and get killed
>>
>>63811577
>So now that the dust has settled
It's been a day since it came out
>>
File: tumblr_mly21291SC1s8wx7no1_400.jpg (24 KB, 353x450) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mly21291SC1s8wx7no1_400.jpg
24 KB, 353x450
>>63812503
>I bet you wish the villain was a generic stoic badass who did nothing but show up at the end for the lightsaber battle and get killed

Yeah.
>>
>>63813793
yeah well you liked Star Wars for all the wrong reasons, faggot. Darth Maul sux and has literally nothing going for him besides that he has a DUDE DOUBLE BLADED LIGHTSABER LMAO. This movie wasn't for you. Go back and watch the prequels
>>
Anyone else hope that Snoke is actually a giant?
>>
>>63813869
I do. Bring ancient gods back to star wars plz
>>
File: 6458659.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
6458659.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>63813846
K.
>>
File: Battle_of_Geonosis.png (535 KB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_Geonosis.png
535 KB, 1024x435
>>63811632
That's the same way I felt. I would be lying to fit in if I said I didn't love it, but my one major criticism of it is that it was too much like A New Hope.

I think they felt like they had to play it safe just to prove to the fans that they weren't going to ruin Star Wars, and to that end I think the film has succeeded and will make more people very happy if they see it.

As a long time fan who actually liked many aspects of the prequels though, this film didn't really take us anywhere that we haven't already been. I really hope that in Episode VIII they show us some new planets and stuff that we haven't seen.

I know a lot of people complained that they hated how much CG was in the prequels, but the truth is that the audience will always ask for more of the same unless you show them something new. Somehow Lucas managed to make a second desert planet that looked nothing like Tatooine, while Jakku was the exact same planet as Tatooine except with a different name.

There was nothing in Episode VII that could match the pure unadulterated mayhem of some of the action scenes in episodes II and III, and frankly it probably wouldn't have been appropriate given that the Clone Wars were meant to be the largest scale conflict the galaxy had ever seen. However, I couldn't escape the feeling that episode VII was a lot less ambitious than the prequels even though by almost every measure it's a superior film to any of them. I really hope that Episode VIII rectifies this to at least some degree, and they find a happy medium between the dazzling visuals of the prequels and the competent directing of Episode VII.
>>
File: thanos-hd.jpg (74 KB, 1058x591) Image search: [Google]
thanos-hd.jpg
74 KB, 1058x591
>>63813869
We were led to believe he's a giant initially which was a truly shocking moment, and one of the few moments in Episode VII where we saw something that was not in any of the other films. If they decide to actually make him a giant then I will be impressed, and if it turns out he's just a frail old man in a chair then I will be disappointed.

Either way though, he was 100x better than Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy. I know Marvel dicksuckers will say "BUT HE'S SO BADASS THAT HE DOESN'T EVEN CARE WHEN HIS UNDERLINGS BITCH AT HIM!", but that does not work in a movie. He came across as someone who is too lazy to stand up for himself and he ended up just being a big purple raisin in a chair who lets his lackeys bitch at him. If you want your villain to be scary and intimdating, the other characters have to be scared of him.

I got that from Snoke, where Thanos utterly failed despite Snoke being a decrepit old goblin while Thanos is basically an armored gorilla.
>>
The characters had so much potential but the movie itself was so focused on action that they never gave any screentime to much-needed character development and backstories.

I want a fun adventure with fun characters, not just action.

How the fuck did they expect us to care about Han's death if we had no idea what happened between him and Kylo/Ben? That moment could've been so damn good, but there was no emotional stake in it because we weren't clued in as an audience to what the fuck was happening between those characters
>>
The CGI characters looked bad. Really rubbery and sloppy. Snoke was distractingly fake. Same with the goggles lady and the merchant on Jakku.

Also why is the resistance/republic so weak? What have they been doing this whole time burying their heads in the samd under Leias watch?
>>
>>63814614

This so much. The one thing that you could say about the prequels is that they were fresh, they were different, they really did feel like a different era in history, and yet they still had something distinctly Star Wars about them. This felt like a rehash in a lot of ways, but at the same time it didn't. Something that really bothered me was he almost total lack of recognizable aliens. I mean if you look in the background of any of the other movies what do you see? Jawas, Rodians, Twi'Leks, Duros, all the recognizable races. This had tons of new ones, which were cool to be sure, but none of the recognizable ones, which really bothered me.
>>
>>63813869
Oh god yes. A 40 foot tall weird looking frail giant as the big bad? That's simply something you don't see in films very often, especially as a pure mental threat being more or a sorcerer than a warrior.
>>
File: images (14).jpg (12 KB, 367x401) Image search: [Google]
images (14).jpg
12 KB, 367x401
>>63815048
I saw this dude..
>>
>>63814886

You can thank the anti-prequel bandwagon for that. They constantly bitch and moan about any scene that isn't mindless action as being boring, so JJ was probably too scared to risk anything reminiscent of the prequels, even if it was kind of a good idea to have some people sit down for a bit and talk.
>>
>>63811577
It was JUST what I expected, this rehash is nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63811632
This so much holy shit, start in desert island, fucking planet laser thing with a single point of failure, it was a new hope is a black guy and female Luke, with as much star wars fan service they could shove in.
>>
>>63814932
why do people keep saying they are weak? within like a day of identifying a super weapon, they destroyed it. They whopped ass in both battles they were involved in.

>>63811577
>shouldn't have been made
the only thing that dictates whether or not it should have been made is the cash it generates, which will resoundingly support it being made. Whether or not its part of a coherent arc that puts the franchise in a better places is very much tbd because this didnt function standalone movie, even if that's shitty.
>>
it got worse the more i thought about it afterward

i can't imagine remembering much of it in a few years, it'll probably just fade away in the public consciousness somewhat - nothing particularly good and nothing particularly bad, nothing to write home about

which is a shame because the first 40 mins or so were a really good set up, most enjoyable part of the film
>>
>>63815111
Get out of here stalker.
>>
>>63814886

They said enough.

Ren was seduced by Snoke to join the Dark Side and his parents (along with Luke) blamed their selves for this. Their strained relationship and Han's tenderness were all we needed to understand why Han's death was tragic but then you have the added tragedy of Ren's belief that killing Han will loosen the grip of the pain his poor perception of Darth Vader has caused him.
>>
>>63811905
What's their to refute? The whole thing is a lazy remake of A New Hope that relies on nostalgia pandering to carry the movie. Also Rey is such a boring character now that we know she can do everything and do it well on her first try.
>>
>>63815138
>You can thank the anti-prequel bandwagon for that. They constantly bitch and moan about any scene that isn't mindless action as being boring

The prequels are boring because the action sucks and too much of the scenes that aren't action are boring politics or Anakin whining.

The OT has less action than the prequels and are much more exciting
>>
>>63815278
Nah, not enough to give a fuck.
>>
>>63815111
It's a gas mask, not a trunk.
>>
>>63812408
Jesus, dude. I'd take Kylo over Anakin any fucking day of the week.
>>
>>63812459
Boyega was fine you faggot. And a solid 30 mins too long? It felt way too short
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>63815161
>but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable
>>
>>63815323

Sure, not enough for you.
>>
>>63812408

You morons are so eager to tear down a blockbuster you're choosing a roundabout way to praise the fucking prequels

Ren is astronomically better than Anakin.
>>
>>63815428

Tbh just because a character is whiny and annoying doesn't make them a bad character. Even Anakin's personality totally makes sense within the context of the story, and so does Ren's. They both may be thoroughly unlikable, but that doesn't make them bad characters.
>>
>it dawned on me that the movie was actually just a stupid nostalgia

It is. People will realize how shitty this movie was when the next one hits and Harrison Ford isn't there, with this new boring characters.
>>
>>63815428
Anakin had some flaws

Ren
>Force Master
>Saber Duel Champion
>Master Pilot
>Mechanical Genius

Anakin was Space Jesus with 20,000 mitochondria or whatever that had anger issues

so they're at least equal in how shit they are
>>
>>63811577

All it had to do was not be the prequel trilogy to gain the love and adoration of the masses. And it wasn't.

However, in order to distance itself it tried to emulate the original trilogy so very, very hard. The movie was terribly paced. Nothing was given ample time, as if we were rushing to pick up and jam together all of the pieces that people associate with Star Wars. Consequently. the movie had no time to be itself or develop any cinematic style more distinct than your typical J. J. Abrams action flick.

It was a mediocre movie. I think I sat through the entire thing with a straight face. However my heart was pounding heavily during SPOILER, mostly because it was already spoiled to me and the anticipation was killing me.
>>
Anyone have the torrent of the cam?
>>
>>63815624

Tbh the part when the X-wings came across the lake gave me chills. But I think it was my inner child just overjoyed at seeing finally seeing the Resistance fuck shit up.
>>
File: Luke_Skywalker_SWGTCG.jpg (465 KB, 1128x1200) Image search: [Google]
Luke_Skywalker_SWGTCG.jpg
465 KB, 1128x1200
>>63814886
>>63815278
I got the perception that Ben was pretty fucked up even before he turned to the dark side. Leia and Han were afraid of him and hoped that if they sent him off to train with Uncle Luke, he'd make peace with his inner self and end up becoming a good man. I think they cast Adam Diver in the role because they wanted someone who could look deranged and twisted without needing makeup.

He was basically a problem child with severe psychological issues, and then Han and Leia made the mistake of asking Luke to give him Jedi training. Maybe Luke knew the right thing to do would have been to completely sever Ben's connection to the force, but he wanted to believe that there was still good in him like there was in his father, and on a more selfish level maybe he couldn't bear the idea of being the last Jedi in the Skywalker line.
>>
>>63815553

Why is this so hard for people to understand?
>>
>>63815290
She only beat Kylo Ren because Chewbacca had just shot him in the stomach with a bowcaster. If it had been a fairer fight, Kylo Ren would have beaten her.
>>
>I looked up reviews to sway my opinion because I can't create my own

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Oh /tv/
>>
>>63815584
That's why they saved Mark Hammil for the sequel.
>>
>>63815703
That was a total classic "when the cavalry arrives" scene.
>>
>>63811577
It is terrible, prequels are ten times better and finally people get that those were real Star Wars movies, not this flimbo's copycat.
The only people that don't agree are reddit
>>
Would have been better if it wasn't A New Hope with a nigger and womyn thrown in for muh diversity
>>
>>63815750
Plus he was probably exerted from his fight with Finn. Then he almost beat her anyway until she was able to channel the Force or whatever. He was more powerful than everyone, but due to his injuries, fighting two people in succession, and lack of training, he failed. Or rather the ground between them split and they couldn't fight anymore anyway. Maybe he could've still got up and killed Rey after that.
>>
>>63815615
Fucking this. The way she was so unnecessarily perfect at everything was my biggest issue, closely followed by her absorbing everything that was supposed to make Finn cool, and that we thought he would have based on the adverts. Granted some twist of who the new jedi is was expected, but it feels like Finn had nothing redeeming left after it was revealed he wasn't going to be the jedi
>>
>>63815717
>but I was going to Toschee station to pick up some power converters!
>aww Biggs is right, I'll never get off this rock
>I can't, it's too big. You want the impossible.
>>
>>63815717

I know I'm about to get piled on for this but, I like Anakin. I mean, sure, he's a whiny little brat. But here's the thing, what do you think is the mental profile of somebody who becomes Space Himmler? Like, that person doesn't start out as some likeable fun dude. He starts out as a selfish asshole with a huge ego. Not to mention that he grew up being told that he was hot shit "the Chosen One" his whole life, so obviously he is going to have an inflated sense of self importance and resent any attempt to teach him patience or moderation. Take out the bad love scenes and shitty dialogue, and look at Anakin and his personality purely within the story itself and he was actually a well done character.

I expect something similar will happen to Ren, but reversed. He obviously has great ambitions but is really insecure about his abilities. That has potential to lead to interesting places imo.
>>
>>63815893

Star Wars has distinct cinematography that goes with the name. Even the prequels had that, albeit more on the space opera side of things.

The Force Awakens didn't have that style. It wasn't a serial. It wasn't a space opera. Despite all this, It wasn't its own movie, either.
>>
>>63816070

Tbh Luke in ANH is an aweful anime protagonist tier character.
>>
File: 3659295.png (327 KB, 500x616) Image search: [Google]
3659295.png
327 KB, 500x616
>>63816019
The biggest twist was that the whole movie was setting up for the black guy to get cucked.

Hell Finn even got friendzoned at the end, and he wasn't even conscious when it happened which makes it even worse because we know that Rey wasn't lying when she said it.

And if they are following the same beats as the original trilogy, in the sequel they will find an excuse to have Rey and Poe get stuck in some other part of the galaxy while Finn is somewhere else, and there will be some kind of unexpected love triangle where Rey ends up falling for Poe.
>>
>>63815161
Tldr: weeb
>>
>>63816138

I don't think there was a single wipe.
>>
File: Camie1-MOSW.png (224 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
Camie1-MOSW.png
224 KB, 400x450
>>63816070
>but I was going to Toschee station to pick up some power converters!

If you watch the deleted scenes you find out the real reason he wanted to go to Toschee station so bad.

I mean damn this movie came out almost 40 years ago and look at her.
>>
>>63815750
>>63815996
Let's not discount that Rey, in addition to having no training whatsoever, gets force-thrown into a tree and knocked the fuck out.

I'm still putting it in Kylo's favor.
>>
File: 1450439429497.jpg (31 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1450439429497.jpg
31 KB, 408x408
rewatched it tonight, this time without constantly trying to compare it to the OT and figure out who was supposed to be who (ie rey=luke)

and I honestly think it's great. Really good movie.
Poe and Finn alone are really good, but so was kylo ren.
I loved poe simply because how could you not? fearless, charismatic, selfless dude
finn, i loved the concept, this dude who before today didn't even have a real name.. (which made Poe that much more of a bro for giving him one) and yet he wants to not be a murderer and decides to run.

I do wish they'd given a little bit more of a reason why he felt the need to run and why the training/conditioning didn't work on him, and I wish they'd explain a little more why he loved Rey so much, but beyond that he was awesome.

He had a natural hero instinct (even wanted to save rey when he saw her getting attacked on jakku)
again, i'd love to know why considering that he was conditioned to be a stormtrooper since he was a child, but maybe they really think they're the good guys

kylo ren was good because they didn't make the mistake of holding onto his family secret so they could make a big reveal out of it. They told us very early on that he was han and leia's son, and that gave us more time to see how conflicted he was (which was basically his entire story in this movie)

add in the last hurrah of Han Solo, and his attempt to bring his son home and I think you've got a good movie, a very good movie.

The only weak spot is rey, she's too bland. I won't go as far as calling her a mary sue like everyone else but she's certainly bland.

They show her as being a good person by helping bb8, but they also go out of their way to try to make her seem too strong ("i don't need your help to run", and even telling han she can take care of herself) it did feel like a little feminist pandering

i'm hoping 8 explores her backstory enough to make what happened in 7 make more sense (it seems like her powers were unlocked rather than trained)
>>
>>63815631
spend 5 bucks if you want to see the movie
>>
>>63816202

It didn't.
>>
>>63811577

I've never understood the hype of star wars. As a scifi it's far more on the fantasy side, technology just werks, factions are very glossed over and almost caricatures. Many fight scenes are complete shit (mook jedi just die like flies after presumably decades of training), stormtrooper aim, the strange slow fighting style of light sabers when they would make short work of fucking anything.

I've never fallen into the hype or EU, and as a scifi there are far better products in film and TV. Why the fuck does this one get so much attention? Is it just the obnoxious merchandising on fucking EVERYTHING.
>>
small little complaint.. did anyone else notice that the little valley/path that rey and kylo first confronted each other at in the forest looked exactly the same as the valley/path where they ended up fighting later on?

the only difference was one was covered in snow

but they were supposed to be two different planets...

I swear it looked like they reused the same set but added snow
>>
>>63816555
I'm looking forward to watching it again without the distraction of trying to guess everything before it happens. I have a feeling that I'll be able to make a much fairer judgement of the story.
>>
>>63816700
There were wipes throughout the movie.
>>
>>63816202
There were plenty, you ignoramus fuck.
>>
>>63816724
>Why the fuck does this one get so much attention? Is it just the obnoxious merchandising on fucking EVERYTHING.

Two reasons:

1. Being the 1st (at least 1st big one) always gives something a lot more lasting power. Same reason Superman is still one of the world's most popular superheros despite the fact that there are hundreds of others that are more interesting in many ways
also same reason lord of the rings will always have a special place in people's hearts no matter what other fantasy stories do

yes there was other stuff before star wars, like flash thompson, but none of it ever really got that big.
Star Wars was truly the first major work of scifi in pop culture that everyone knew about. It created the space opera.
Now everything you'd consider better is probably considered a rip off

2. There are some things that once done by someone, can't really be done by anyone else without feeling like a total rip off, and if you can "own" that thing in the publics mind, you've got a cash cow on your hands.

examples would be like (well...again superman or batman to a certain extent, you can try to create a ninja that uses great gadgets, but it will always feel like a rip off of batman, same with anyone with superpowers)

the matrix: bullet-time, and that certain style of superhuman kung fu

with star wars: Lightsabers (and people capable of using them in a way that would actually beat guns)

There's just nothing cooler than a lightsaber, a fucking LASER SWORD, so you build a scifi world around that iconic image and it's going to sell better than a scifi that doesn't have a laser sword (and anyone who tries anything like a laser sword will feel like such a rip off)
>>
>>63816744
it really helps. I'd also recommend seeing it in 3d.

I usually hate 3d, but it works perfectly in this movie. It's not the "you feel like your in the scene" 3d of avatar, but it's not the "lol it's coming at you!" bullshit 3d of the past

it's something different, it just gives everything depth, and every single space ship that flew past with the backdrop of stars behind it, just looked right.

1st viewing i saw in 2d, 2nd in 3d, and the movie really deserves to be seen in 3d. It's beautiful.
>>
File: 1450197519001.gif (4 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450197519001.gif
4 MB, 640x480
To me it was kind of what JJ does

You leave the movie and you think that was pretty fun. Then you think about it and think about it. You realize nothing was super memorable and most stuff you enjoyed was because it reminded you of something else.

My favorite thing in the movie was the Kylo Ren character because he was the most unique (if not always in a good way) among a bunch of shitty characters.
>>
>>63816978
*flash gordon

whoops
>>
>>63816555
>>63816744

Tbh I thought it was decent. I liked most of the characters.

Finn was a fun kind of guy, almost a budding Han Solo type with a bit of an attitude and somewhat of a bullshitter. My main complaint with him is that his defection from the First Order felt too quick.

Poe was great, charismatic, heroic. He was the perfect sci-fi hero (relative to the amount of screen time he had), and I also loved how he had Luke tier flying skills without being a Jedi.

I actually really liked Ren. His insecurity, his temper, his obsession with Vader. I loved the scene where he was talking to Vader's helmet, especially when he called him grandfather. That is a character with a lot of potential, especially with the whole reverse Luke thing he has going on. The idea that he wants to stay in the dark but is tempted by the light is really cool imo.

I thought Rey was meh at first, she had some decent chemistry with Fin the way they bickered back and forth, but then the interrogation scene happened. She basically breaks the canon of the universe, since she can learn advanced force powers like the mind trick instantly, and somehow knows how to use a lightsaber (which has very little to do with your ability to use the force). She is clearly some kind of Dragon Ball Z super powered crazy bullshit character that will either need some kind of crazy KOTOR twist backstory or be killed or seriously de powered in order for her to work at all in the rest of the movies.
>>
>>63811577

It really is a modern version of ANH.

If you think it's shit though, that's basically saying the entire series is shit. It wasn't terrible, in fact, it was good. It was written to evoke nostalgia feels, around Han Solo mostly but it'll be Luke come the next one.

This is the farewell tour for the original cast. Watch it with that in mind and ignore the haters trying to be disappointed because it wasn't the second coming of Christ with lightsabers.
>>
>>63816978
as a huge fan of star trek, I can say the lack of jedi and "laser swords" really does effect things, leaves a void

That combination of sci-fi and fantasy that jedi bring to the table, plus just how f'n cool it looks to see someone with a lightsaber really gives some brownie points to the entire star wars franchise

i haven't seen many other franchises even bother to try something similar and it definitely hurts them
>>
>>63817149
this. its a glorified reboot, but with the clear intent to transition from old characters to new.
>>
>>63812408

Actually, Kylo was trying to make himself badass and Vadery.

He isn't. That's the fucking point, he's a half-trained apprentice that decided he wanted to be like his grandpa rather than Luke and gets gleefully lead down the path of "get rekt" by the Supreme Leader, the better for him to have his own pocket Vader, later.
>>
File: 1367467714320.jpg (20 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
1367467714320.jpg
20 KB, 500x351
This didn't feel like a Star Wars movie.

The musical scores were subpar. Nothing like the originals, or even the prequels for that matter. The opening sequence just feels out of place after seeing the rest of the movie.
Quick film cuts - CONSTANTLY. Rarely do we see medium shots to actually tell what is happening. And we get almost no world building as a result. I can't remember ANY setting in this planet that stood out from what we've already seen. Set designs/costumes were incredibly lazily put together for rebels/stormtroopers, nothing unique or detailed like previous star wars movies.
No Lucas scene changes, the weird pan across the screen, nowhere to be found.
Boyega's character, while I had nothing against a black character in the movie, felt 100% unnecessary. He should have left for the outer rim and never returned - it made way more sense. But wait! He has to romantically chase after Rey! Of course! Not a typical star war's character's basis of motivation...
Overuse of Snoke. One scene with him was enough. Instead we had like 3 or 4 where he's giving out menial tasks to these blumbering idiots.
Zero explanation about WHAT THE FUCK - is the first order. How do these people have any resources when the Republic is apparently reinstalled and have control of the major city territories? And why is the Resistance called the "Resistance" if it's backed by a Republic? Isn't it just a Republic army ??

The lightsaber battle at the end was cool. I enjoyed it. han's death scene was also effectively put together
BB8 was a cool droid. He was fun. I like the character Rey, I disagree she is a Mary Sue. She's immediately established as a technically inclined individual, scavenger/pilot living a rough life on a desert planet - and later hinted that she may be some sort of amnesiac. And I actually didn't mind the whole "Starkiller Base" nonsense.

I'm going to go see it a second time. I'm completely undecided at this point.
>>
Anyone else think they used the force theme too much?

I feel like they did it like 10 times where they zoomed in on a characters face and played that theme softly. Really started to grind on me
>>
>>63816555
he literally says in the movie why his dick is so hard for rey, <s>"you're the first person to look at me like that"</s> read: not just a number
>>
>>63817219

Just from dialogue and shit, I'm guessing the resistance was Leia's attempt at hunting down and killing everyone after episode 6

Whereas the republic is more about keeping the peace.

Basically

Leia = post ww2 Israel hunting down and imprisoning old nazis

Republic = Rest of the world that moved on after the war
>>
>>63817046
Saw it in 3D on a large screen during my first viewing and it was a good 3D movie. I will probably see it in 2D for my second one just so I can compare the two, and to save a few bucks.
>>
>>63815048
Abrams did the same thing is Star Trek.
>>
>>63816555
I thought the flashback implied that shed been training as a jedi while she was young, and that after kylo killed everyone else he couldn't bear to kill her too and instead dumped her on Not!Tatooine. So shed already learned a good deal of Jedi skills but repressed the memories.
>>
Someone on IMDB summed it up pretty well:

"Shallow cliché rehashed scenes from the original trilogy intended to just get you off - leaves you feeling unsatisfied and a little dirty. John Williams music serves the appropriate backdrop of bow chicka bow bow. Does a Death Star turn you on? How bout a really big Super Death Star? Just destroy me baby. Are you there yet? Almost... there? Don't worry, we have Han Solo playing the pool boy saying all the right lines that you like. Yeah, someone even has daddy issues. Oh, and there's plenty of pointless light saber smacking. Thank you sir may I have another. I can't wait for the next Star Wars installment: Deep Space - Rey Does Dagobah. You know you want to watch."
>>
>>63818565
Sounds like 4 other the other 6 installments.
StarWars wasnt built arround characters archs and realistic sci-fi with an undertone message.

It was built around how cool a beam of controlled kinetic heat in the palm of your hand, that can slice through virtually anything. Every new character could have died tragically walking dead style for all I'd care.

They were just being too safe
>>
>>63811577
this desu senpai

Throwing out the EU was a mistake in the first place. There was so much they could have drawn on, instead they just invent stand-ins for stuff we already had in earlier movies and other material. Oh hey, it's Tatooine again, no fuck you it's Jakku. It's totally not Tatooine. There are Stormtroopers and Rebels (pardon, Resistance), X-Wings and TIE Fighters, with a new lacquer! OH SHIIIIIIIIT, they are blowing up Coruscant now. Well no, it's some shitty planet that hasn't ever been mentioned before, but we're told it's important. Kylo Ren is Han's son… is this about Jacen Solo struggling on his fall to the dark side? Well of couse not, it's a new guy called Ben Solo.

And it wouldn't have been much effort even, Lucas publishing left a convenient hole in the timeline between 35 and 40 ABY where the sequel trilogy could have taken place. But Disney and lazy writers decided to hollow out a long-standing franchise so nothing would get in the way of selling mobile games and Skylanders figures.
>>
File: 80517637.gif (766 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
80517637.gif
766 KB, 320x240
>>63811577
Anakin was the chosen one
Luke didn't kick Vader ass until the end of Jedi
Rey AWAKENED and got her power. Even if it's explained later, that makes it so this movie cannot stand on its own. Fuck this shit.
>>
>>63811577
It was a good movie only thing bad about it was you know who dying
>>
>>63811577
Average out of ten.

Also, the whole "defector from inhumane regime, hardworking girl finding out she's hot shit in space and villain being a psycho with anger issues" shindig.

It reminded me about Jupiter Ascending I had the fortune(?) to watch.
>>
>>63811577
So you enjoyed it until others told you that you shouldn't

Cool
>>
>>63819060
On the contrary, Luke Skywalker is basically the most basic of character arcs. He's pretty much crafted on the reluctant hero and is the quintessential example of 'character arc' in any movie. Not to mention the more smaller character arcs of characters such as Han, Lando and Vader.

And Star Wars was built on simple (i.e. not at all complex - easy to understand) a hero's space journey.

Not arguing for or against VII. I personally found the movie 'okay'. Not offensive, not progressive. Just okay.
>>
>Like a movie
>Go online after seeing it
>See tens of people pull apart every line of dialogue, shot, and so forth to criticize it
>Decide I dislike the movie thanks to their expert analysis.

Thank you /tv/ for opening my eyes.
>>
The end scene was probably the most unneccessary scene in all of the Star Wars films.
I literally believe it was included so Disney could sell Luke Skywalker figurines/toys/merc. The scene should have been the opening to the next, or fuck, the ending of the next because the search for Skywalker should have actually been an entire movie.
>>
I'm not normally a fan of the cuck meme but that's the best way to describe that movie:

A total cuckfest.
>>
>>63811811
A faux glibisimal
>>
>>63811577
The dust hasn't been settled, wait 2 or even 3 months, then we'll see if it sucked
>>
>>63811577

Indeed, I think we can all agree this is typical Disney shit. Star Wars is not special at all anymore, it is now just one of many properties owned by Disney and produced on a schedule to create as many pointless films as possible oversaturating the market.
>>
>I have to wait for what /tv/ tells me rather than draw my own conclusions
>when I leave the theater I subconsciously ask myself what /tv/ would think of that movie
>>
It's far too self aware, far too many jokes aimed at the audience which don't make sense in the world

You can understand him? Yeah and he can understand you so be careful

For example. I mean, no one questions the fact that people understand BB-8 and other droids, so why question chewbacca? Just lame self insert self referencing writing
>>
>>63811577
This is probably one of the most jarring movies i've seen of being totally blown away while also cringing during some scenes and, ugh. the endless self referential jokes
>>
>>63811577
It was good
Stop being a whiny bitch
>muh disney
>muh george lucas
Fuck off
>>
>>63820352
>>63820352
log off jj
>>
>>63812019
This. Wow. He's even conscious of what he's doing. How can you be so fucking weak, man. And it's just a movie.
>>
>>63820352

It was good for Disney because they get full rights to this version of A New Hope. But its not good for Star Wars fans because it retcons the ending of ROTJ nor is it a good movie because it is a pointless rehash. So by "good" I can only assume you work for Disney.

tldr; fuck off Disney shill
>>
>>63815048
>Something that really bothered me was he almost total lack of recognizable aliens. I mean if you look in the background of any of the other movies what do you see? Jawas, Rodians, Twi'Leks, Duros, all the recognizable races. This had tons of new ones, which were cool to be sure, but none of the recognizable ones, which really bothered me.

This was my main gripe just outside the showing.
>>
>>63820320
If you want to get into it like that, wookies don't inherently know basic. Plus you typically wouldn't assume someone who only speaks a different language can understand yours.
>>
>>63820526
>basic

What the fuck is Basic? And don't you dare quote EU

Literally everyone else in the star wars movie universe understands chewy
>>
File: 1448710156322.gif (471 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
1448710156322.gif
471 KB, 350x263
>>63812408
>that makes Anakin and Hayden look good

It sounds like you're a confused crying teenager
>>
>>63820320
>no one questions the fact that people understand BB-8 and other droids
some times they ask that.
>>
>>63811811
Stop this stupid forced meme

>>63811577
>and read up on some of the criticisms others had online

is this thread bait seriously you let other peoples opinions change yours you stupid faggot then again this is /tv/
>>
>>63811577
>read up on some of the criticisms others had online it dawned on me that the movie was actually just a stupid nostalgia pandering rehash that shouldn't have been made

Anon, I have read other people's opinions too and I've managed to not parrot them. Feel free to leave this board and return when you're older than 16.
>>
>>63820637
inside the movies
>>
>>63820568
English

And we aren't exactly given a whole lot of examples, and most of it is in the same way you understand r2, emotional groans instead of beeps
>>
>>63820134
Tbqh all I've seen here is memeing against the popular thing, very little expert analysis.
>>
Movie was obviously stuck between two seats, trying to please older and audience and newer one. But the movie itself was only alright for me. Being a rehash of ep4 works in a way but felt so unoriginal.
Decent flick, 6/10, would rewatch on yify.

>dat based Oscar Isaac though
>dat Craig cameo
>>
File: GitSum.gif (984 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
GitSum.gif
984 KB, 500x213
>>63814614
Agreed. TFA was too safe. Nothing was too memorable like it was in the prequels at parts. I enjoyed TFA but I expected more.
>>
>>63811577
The fanservice tried its best to reign in the fans, but it all seemed like pantyshots to me.
>>
>>63821102
Is that gif from TFA?
>>
I really enjoyed it desu senpai. The strengths of it outweigh it's weaknesses
>>
>>63815615
gotta worship that woman cock
>>
>>63820644

No need to be glib, friend
>>
>>63821208
Episode 3
>>
Im pretty sure more and more people will see TFA for what it is when the dust settles
>>
>>63821278
I thought It looked very clone-esque, but I don't remember that.bit
>>
>>63821304
Pretty much like TPM. It won't make it memorable tho.
>>
>>63812503
>oh my god that was THE POINT you faggot
That's even worse, then. Not only did the character suck, his design also sucks. That's pretty bad. I mean, I could understand if the actor just didn't get it or maybe the director fucked up a bit, but being shit by design?

That's really bad. Really, really bad.
>>
>>63811577
Am I the only one who sees that BB8/Black Guy = Jar Jar 2?
>>
>>63821397
BB8 made me laugh though.
>>
>>63811632
I was expecting so much from the film, yet I felt empty when it ended.

I knew something was up when I saw the opening scene.

>show desert planet
>star destroyer appears

ORIGINAL!

And why didn't one of the characters fall into that fissure that separated them when the planet was falling apart?
>>
>>63812503
>daddy issues
Is a pretty pathetic motivation for the major villain, hell making anakin a whiny cunt ruined Vader in the minds of many, what makes you think it would be great a second time around?

You can make the villain a great psychotic nut job without being an emotional whiny brat.(ie Kruger in Elysium)
>>
>>63821413
The anti-Jar Jar circle jerk is so overdone. He made plenty of people laugh. It's not a question of laughter. It's just that cheap children's jokes in every scene featuring the character is such a lame schtick.
>>
>>63811577
>dust has settled
>out for 24 hours

4/10, made me respond.
>>
>>63821519
I cringed way more during those forced scenes when Finn hits on Rey.
>>
>>63814614
>>63815048
Say what you want about George's writing skills which can be fucking terrible, but he has an incredible imagination and that was really what made Star Wars what it is.
>>
Movie itself is 6/10. But I need MORE INFORMATION to judge the direction the universe has taken.

Why is the Rebel Alliance still functioning if the Republic has been reinstated? Why is the Rebel fleet 10 X-wings? Where is the Republican military, and why have they permitted the First Order to expand as it has? How are the First Order and Rebellion funded? Why has the Rebel Alliance never captured a single person who has been on the superweapon until Fin? Where were the planetary defense fighters for the First Order, was that measly squadron all that there was despite knowing that the Rebels knew the location of the superweapon and could attack at any time?
>>
Before I start to dig into Episode VII, I just want to say that overall I think it was a better movie than the prequels, and that the trilogy overall has the potential to be very entertaining and even to redeem Star Wars, perhaps. I went in with pretty much no expectations, having only seen the original trailers when the movie was announced, and only mildly outraged that they were going to disregard the work of dozens of authors who contributed to the expanded universe so they could suck a little (a lot) more cash out of the cow.

However, I felt like we were thrown into a conflict that was literally the exact same as the one in A New Hope. Even the opening crawl made me feel that way. In fact the whole movie felt derivative. Rey is literally Anakin from Ep 1, down to (practically) being a slave to an alien merchant on a desert backwater. The only kind of character development we see for Finn is that he has a problem carrying out his orders... He felt like the token Disney character, because there was nothing realistic about the story arc he's had whatsoever. I know that they teased a little with Rey's past but I really felt like they underdeveloped the protagonists.

In my opinion, the whole thing about Poe's death was really lazily executed... The tie fighter they were in sank into the sand and exploded, Finn looked around to see where he was and couldn't find him, and then he miraculously reappeared in a fighter halfway through a battle on another planet.

The new Death Star seemed like a really arbitrary plot device that didn't even have the dramatic build up of the old one. It felt like JJ Abrams needed an excuse for the current threat of the Imperials and just shoehorned in a bigger, badder Death Star for the sake of having one... I mean, the Republic and a whole system of planets got blown up in a five minute seen and only received a few references about the evil power of the First Order in the rest of the film.
>>
Does anyone else think Poe is exhibiting Jedi like abilities? Like what Qui Gon said about how Anakin was such a good pilot?
>>
>>63811577
No just the monkey like we all thought he would.
>>
>>63811577
I just want to know what happened to mon mothma. I get she'd be pretty old by now but seriously, no reference to her at all?
>>
File: Snoke.jpg (52 KB, 810x370) Image search: [Google]
Snoke.jpg
52 KB, 810x370
>>63813869
I reckon he looks like some of the original concepts of Palpy, could be possible.
>>
>>63812503
this crap is overdone.

It is really hard to come up with an interesting character. pressing the lacrimal gland is really fucking cheap
>>
>>63812503
and that fucker doesnt even have enough back story that make the viewer give a fuck about his daddy problems
>>
One thing I did enjoy about the movie is the characters referring the Millennium Falcon as "garbage" like Luke did in ANH, calling it a piece of junk.

If there's any reference to ANH they should leave in and make everything else completely original, it's that one.
>>
>>63811577

>Letting others decide whether you should like a film or not.

Your ARE a massive faggot OP.

Unfortunately this one time you happen to be correct. The Force Awakens was pretty shitty.

If it were anymore of a rehash they would have had to call it a reboot of the original.
>>
File: 1450435888471.jpg (56 KB, 400x354) Image search: [Google]
1450435888471.jpg
56 KB, 400x354
Here are the finer points of my disappointment in no particular or chronological order:

1. Rey is a Mary Sue. She is an expert pilot, an expert marksman, an expert mechanic, skilled in lightsaber combat (despite never receiving training), and skilled in force manipulation (despite never receiving training). She has no critical flaws.

2. Finn has a unique, vibrant personality and set of behaviors - even though he had been indoctrinated his entire life. Victims of indoctrination and abuse are rarely as sociable.

3. J.J. was too obvious in his portrayal of The Order as Space Nazis. The parallels aren't subtle at all, even going as far to include a military parade, an empowered speech, and military salute. The soldiers slaughtered civilians indiscriminately, and the dialogue/actions of the Order reeked of "bad guy" archetype.

4. Leia and Han needlessly talk of "our son" just so Kylo's name can be revealed to the audience later

5. When Finn and Poe escape and the TIE fighter lifts off the ground, the officers on the brig immediately suspect treason instead of a malfunction or an accident/mistake. How would you know that it wasn’t an accident? If a military aircraft takes off in real life without orders from the control tower, are personnel ordered to destroy it?

6. Did the Supreme Leader really need to be in this film? Did he really need to be called "Snoke"? The latter point is more of a pet-peeve.

7. Death Star 3.0 - a battle station several times larger than the Death Star - was constructed without the knowledge of the Rebel Alliance or the New Republic

8. Why would a Stormtrooper coincidentally carry gear that would repel a Lightsaber, when it wasn't known that Finn was armed with one?

9. J.J. uses practical effects, but skimps out on Maz's character with awful CGI

10. Lupita's voice acting for Maz was awful (Opinion, of course)
>>
Am I the only one here that found the tone of the boops and beeps from the droid SUPER ANNOYING AND TERRIBLE
>>
>>63811577
It was fucking awful. Full of plot holes, not an ounce of character development, cheesy as all fucking hell pandering Han and Leia moments, etc.

Kylo Ren is a fucking faggot. Sith lords don't throw temper tantrums like children. It's anakin all over again.

It manages to be 70% comprised of action, yet has not a single bit of good choreography, and relies instead on characters having pirates of the carribean tier banter while running away from enemies that will never hit them because they have impenetrable plot armor.

All of the jokes are fucking garbage.

They managed to take the one character who was interesting in any way ( though only through he used to be) and have the biggest faggot in the entire movie kill him. No emotional impact though, because the plot line was underdeveloped trash.

Lots of CG explosions though, that'll keep the masses happy.

Not a single bit of artful or interesting cinematography.

Not a single interesting plotline.

Not a single line of well written dialogue.

It somehow managed to be the most pg rated star wars movie ever. Kylo Ren gets hit in the fucking face with a lightsaber and is singed a little.

Kylo Ren gets his ass beat by someone that's never held a lightsaber after getting shot by a giant wooki standing in plain sight and making lots of noise.

Stupid cg tentacle monsters grab and instantly maim or eat everyone in the area, except for the one main character, which they grab and do nothing to until someone can figure out what to do.

I could go on.
>>
>>63822067

11. Pacing was slow at the start (good) but became nauseatingly quick after the first act. Consequently, the movie felt rushed and the audience had very little connection to the events unfolding in front of them.

12 The last shot with Luke and Rey was horrid. Why did the camera pan around the same location three times with the same reaction?!

13. Leia's reaction to Han's death was completely apathetic - despite being married, and knowing him for nearly 30 years
Poe's dialogue was greatly lacking.

14. This film had far too many one-liners, quips, and jump cuts

15. Captain Phasma has virtually no dialogue - despite her exposure in the media

16. Captain Phasma deactivates the shields with no hesitation - none of the officers on Starkiller notice that the shields are down or are able to revert the change

17. C3PO, R2D2, and other OT character's inclusion in the film felt forced and inconsistent. Did they need to be in this film?

18. The soundtrack felt weak and unengaging - very surprised, seeing as this was composed by John Williams

19. Anakin's Lightsaber was recovered despite falling into the center of the planet Bespin, a gas giant. Maz never explains how she found it, saying instead that it was "a question for another time."

20. R2D2's wake up from hibernation was done for plot convenience. When and how did R2 decide to wake up? That's to say: What were the "wake up" parameters?

21. The two previous Death Stars were destroyed by exposed weaknesses. Why wouldn't the Order send out more fighters/craft to protect the Oscillator?

22. The audience had very little time to process the destruction of three planets

Several scenes in the trailers were cut from the final product. Not necessarily negative, just odd.

23. The power struggle between Kylo and Hux felt contrived and clunky. I think it was J.J.'s attempt of recapturing the relationship between Vader and Tarkin. (Opinion)
>>
File: 1409968632346.jpg (8 KB, 166x218) Image search: [Google]
1409968632346.jpg
8 KB, 166x218
>>63814800
>big purple raisin
10/10
>>
>tfw you're only the one who spotted daniel craig's cameo
>>
>>63822078
>Kylo Ren is a fucking faggot. Sith lords don't throw temper tantrums like children.

Kylo Ren isn't a sith lord. He is a dangerous child. That is his character.
>>
>>63822067

I agree with almost all of your points except for # 6 and #10
>>
>>63811632
It was a terrible film with a ok execution
>>
>>63822078
>
Kylo Ren is a fucking faggot. Sith lords don't throw temper tantrums like children. It's anakin all over again.

Kylo isn't a Sith Lord
>>
>>63822067
>>63822090

25. The Millennium Falcon enters the Starkiller base via warp drive and disables the shield so everyone else can get through - despite entry being possible anyway

26. The monster-escape scene felt like it came from another movie entirely.

27. Fan-service: Did we need to have a scene with Finn taking out the blaster training ball, and falling on/activating the Tabletop game in the Millennium Falcon?

28. Why do the Rebel Alliance and the New Republic still exist as two separate factions? If the Empire was subdued as a fighting force and galactic empire, why was the title "rebellion" still necessary?

29. Wouldn't the New Republic have mobilized their fleet after the destruction of several of their planets?

30. Why would the Rebellion and the New Republic forgo the destruction of the New Order? Was no one concerned that the Empire would regain their lost numbers, regroup, and rearm themselves?

31. The destructive beam from Starkiller superweapon is described as being "superluminal," meaning faster than light. If that's the case, why were the inhabitants able to see the beam right before it struck the planet?

32. Just for the sake of consistency - Why do blaster shots cause bleeding in TFA? I was under the impression that blaster bolts seared and burned the skin.
>>
File: matthew.png (763 KB, 711x749) Image search: [Google]
matthew.png
763 KB, 711x749
>>63822187
>via warp drive
trekkies pls go
>>
>>63822187
>Just for the sake of consistency - Why do blaster shots cause bleeding in TFA? I was under the impression that blaster bolts seared and burned the skin.

dramatic purpose i guess
>>
>>63822090
>The power struggle between Kylo and Hux felt contrived and clunky. I think it was J.J.'s attempt of recapturing the relationship between Vader and Tarkin. (Opinion

This is not your opinion. This is fact. The entire film was a rehash. It should have been a remake.
>>
>>63822090
>Rey -holding out light saber-
>"I have lightsaber."

>Luke stares at her
>"What?"
>>
>>63822187
>Why do blaster shots cause bleeding in TFA? I was under the impression that blaster bolts seared and burned the skin.

It depends on the setting of the blaster and how the hit actually went.
>>
>tap tap
>>
>>63816257
What a qt. All the deleted scenes are great. I wonder why they cut them in the first place.
>>
>>63811577
>i liked it at first but then I read up reviews online and since I'm an easily influenced pleb with no personality of his own, i started hating it
>>
>>63813869
I'm still hoping that he's Jar Jar.
>>
>>63822152
Nitpicking. He might as well be. Evil dude seduced by dark side with a red lightsaber, pure black clothing, surrounded by stormtroopers. With teary eyes. Guess I should have said Darth Vader fangirl.
>>
>>63822290
you are a dumb mother fucker if you cant see that its a cheasp rehash of Episode 4
>>
>>63822187
>Just for the sake of consistency - Why do blaster shots cause bleeding in TFA? I was under the impression that blaster bolts seared and burned the skin.

They dont, he is only bleeding because short attention span normies needed a reminder he is injured.
>>
It felt weak. Just like super 8. Jj movies have no sraying power. You immediately forget what they were about when you leave and the more you think about them the worse the aftertaste.
>>
>>63822306
cheap rehash
>>
>>63822290
Not op, but my heart rate was up as the movie came to a close while I thought how much fucking dick it sucked.
>>
Just saw it OP.

Han Solo is literally the only good thing in the entire movie.

Rey is ok but her character goes retarded when around anything Jedi.

Finn is so out of place and character its a joke.

Movie had no pacing too.
>>
>>63815615
She's not really a good fighter, she was overconfident and Kylo Ren was obviously thinking about recruiting her to his cause rather than killing her straight out. He got caught off guard and he's a rookie.

I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. At least Ren was charismatic, played well of her surrounding cast and seemed to have a somewhat interesting backstory.
>>
>>63822358
Missa Stormtrooper Finn, missa your humble servant xDD
>>
>>63811577
It was beyond terrible. They should make a reboot asap.
>>
Also I know it's been said before, but jesus, did anyone even think about Finns backstory? He's been indoctrinated to be nothing but an emotionless killing machine from birth, but acts just like a normal, goofy guy? He'd be a ducking psychopath, or not have any emotions at all
>>
>>63822306
except that I stand by my opinions. I enjoyed TFA, I think it's better than ANH, and I'm not gonna back down just because some people on the Internet started bitching about it and I want to blend in. Hell my favourite SW movie of all time is RotS, call me retarded all you want but at least I actually have a personal opinion on stuff and I'm not a weak fuck like some of you who just read a review and think "oh well I guess those are some good points, let's call this a glib facsimile like everyone else and be done with it, that should give me everyone's approval".
>>
>>63822415
>sequel terrible
>reboot instead
Literally the reason why hollywood is shit
>>
No way this comes close to breaking the all time record.
>>
>>63822439
Yeah it's stupid as fuck. Within a span of, what, 3 hours he decides to completely change everything he's been taught and doing for his entire fucking life
>>
DID YOU JUST CALL ME SOLO???????

FUKN EPIC X DDD
>>
>>63822449
>rots is my favorite star wars movie
I'm all for dissenting opinions and all, but you're a fucking tasteless moron.
>>
>>63822454
It will.
>>
>>63811577
>and read up on some of the criticisms others had online

Why would you let others influence your own enjoyment of the movie, or even worse, take it away from you? I thought the movie sucked ass but this was occurring to me while I was watching it, from the cringeworthy scenes with sweaty Finn drinking like an animal out of a trough to Darth Edgelord spazzing out like a child and having women everywhere in the First Order. Add also Snoke's retarded name, the pointless Maz character who was given way too much screen time, the retarded outcome of the final fight. Walking out of the theater I knew it was a disappointment.

Curiously enough my theater had an intermission at the 1 hour mark. My friend thought it was decent but I couldn't wait to tell him how bad it was, and did. At the end of the movie he had also changed his mind. Maybe I'm just toxicly negative, I don't know, but I was just calling things as I saw them.
>>
>>63822449
>rots favourite
you are retarded.
>>
>>63822449
you find a blatant copy better than the original?
you are a tasteless idiot
>>
>>63822326

I love Star Trek 2009 fwiw.

It is literally the only movie of his with any sort of staying power.

MI:III was decent but nothing super spectacular.
>>
File: GUiDGVt.png (100 KB, 282x577) Image search: [Google]
GUiDGVt.png
100 KB, 282x577
>>63815161
>>
>>63822078
>Sith lords don't throw temper tantrums like children.
He's not Sith, and certainly not a lord.
>>
>>63822475
We don't really know about the first order's method of indoctrination, or how effective it really is. I see Finn as a fucking explosion of all these thoughts and feelings he must've repressed for years. He's so fucking scared of The First Order he wants to escape - he doesn't want to fight them or have an adventure or anything. Makes me think they're holding their troops hostage rather than effectively brainwashing them.

Unless there's a novel or comic that contradicts these things
>>
>>63822574
is experienced dark jedi better for you?
>>
>>63816743
They did reuse the same location. The landing site of the Millennium Falcon was the same too, they probably just sprayed fake snow on the ground
>>
>>63822501

No it won't.

A ton of people saw Avatar in the theater multiple times. (yeah I know it was shit but a lot of people loved it)

Only a few diehards will see Ep 7 more than once in the theater. In every sense of the word it is just another movie.
>>
>>63822621
>is experienced
He is not
>>
>>63822543
I watched them both for the first time this week and TFA was, for me, more enjoyable, with better, more nuanced characters and a slightly more interesting universe. It had a broader spectrum of emotions while watching it.

They're both kinda bland, cookie cutter fantasy movies but at least I could enjoy TFA.
>>
>New Empire builds super expensive not-death star with the same amount of resources they could have used to make 10 death stars.
>It's only mildly more effective than the death star.
>Gets destroyed by 4 ground troops and 15 rebel pilots.
>They use tie fighters to bomb people despite the existence of tie bombers.
>They seem to only have a single star destroyer, which they refrain from using.
>All the commanders looked green as fuck.
1st order was kind of shit desu.
>>
>>63815161

I can't tell if you're just pretending to be a faggot
>>
>>63822669
>more interesting universe then the originals

Your bait was too obvious.
>>
>>63816743
I think the planets were too similar overall, Takodana and D'Qar and Starkiller base, all foresty planets.
>>
>>63813869

I thing he's going to turn out to be really small irl.

He might be a burnt out corrupted Yoda race.
>>
why did obama allowed this abomination?

why did they let a jew destroy lucas work?
>>
>anakin is whinny and throwing tantrums
DIS IS BAAAD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FAEC xD
>kylo is whinny and throwing tantrums
Brillant deconstruction of a villian 10|10 disnsy
>>
>>63815750

It still should not have been close. He was a trained force user.

Under those circumstances it should have been a slaughter.
>>
>>63822825
to be fair Kylo actually looks like an inbred autistic kid.
>>
>>63813869

No. That'd be stupid considering how painfully CGI he already looks. Plus if he's a giant he can't do anything but sit there and shoot lightning from his crack.
>>
>>63822825
Kylo's make sense. His motivation is pretty much "I want to be cool like Vader" but he completely lacks any of the charisma or presence that Vader held which is supported by his daddy issues and hissyfits.
Sith are calm motherfuckers whereas Kylo is completely childish.
>>
I can't at all the critics that savaged the prequels loving this movie. The Han/Leia 'let's rehash everything that has happened off-screen in the last 30 years' scene was written no less clunky than anything Anakin/Padme ever said. And everyone hammering Lucas for his 'poetry/it rhymes' meme, that is a hell of a lot better concept than the copy/paste New Hope storyline I had to sit through.
And I'm sorry - but if your last two death stars where blown up from X-wing fighters, don't have your main defence be a shield that can be turned off in a room isolated from the main control room without warning or total authorisation. Why would that be protocol? Why would your planet size weapon with the same vulnerable exhaust port be deactivated so easily by one person? Like learn your lesson guys - defence is your biggest issue!
And if the Republic is on the side of the Resistance, than why do they only have an army of 14 X-wings? Where are all their resources? It looks like the same rebellion man-power they had at the height of the Empire.
JJ shouldn't be so smug, Lucas' prequels where atrocious, but he wasn't too far off the mark either.
>>
>>63816138

As bad as they were at least the prequels felt like Star Wars movie.

This one didn't have that. It felt like a disjointed mess with a ton of fanservice thrown in.

The whole thing felt really sloppy and rushed.
>>
>>63822475
>>63822439
Yeah, it's what bothered me the most. How are they raised? What makes him be so different when literally no one else is? And I mean no one. Out of the Bajillion stormtroopers there are, almost no one ever showed as much as a hint of his own character or a tendency to betray their leaders.

Not only did he do all of these things, but seemingly with no effort at all. He didn't need to change or develop in any way and was perfectly adapted to interacting with others on a firendly and very social basis, when his entire life up to that point should've turned him into someone who has no clue about any of that stuff.

If we didn't know that he used to be a stormtrooper, there is absolutely no indication to assume he was one within his character.
>>
>>63822653

I want to see it again just to remind myself of how bad it was so I can look at all the flaws. But I don't want to pay money for it so I won't.
>>
>>63817050

I think Kylo Ren saved the movie from being a total loss.
>>
Same here.
I was in the cinema, had fun and walked out with a smile ony face.
Then I headed to /tv/ and switched my opinion, because I'm a faggot who only parrots the opinion of others (and memes of course). I made a thread praising Lucas' terrrible prequels and tipped my space fedora. I also told my friends that we actually didn't like the movie because it's a glit fucksmile or something and that they are retarded nostalgia faggots if they don’t feel the same way as me.
>>
>>63821332
Kashyyyk assault, I think.
>>
the movie felt wrong all the time for me but it wasn't too boring
>>
I found the pacing pretty bad. Like, Finn was able to survive Kylo Ren's attacks despite this being his second time to use a saber, and Rey also managing to beat him badly despite it being her FIRST.

The characters also lacked proper development, especially their relationships between each other, I felt the movie tried to pander too much to nostalgia and the other aspects suffered as a result.

It was an alright movie. Pretty fun, but not deserving of the praise it gets.
>>
>>63821374

Kylo Ren was BY FAR the best thing about the movie.

Without him the movie would have been a total loss.
>>
Why don't they just make FTL torpedoes?
>>
>>63821413

I found his overdone boops and beeps almost as annoying as Jar Jar.

If they had just given him different sound effects at wouldn't have been so bad but the sound effects that we got sounded like a parody of a parody.

Sort of like watching a tv show and the characters in the show are watching a star wars like tv show on their television.

The real life producers of the real tv show would use blatantly overdone star wars like sound effects to let you know that the characters in the show were watching a star wars like show on their tv.

That is what BB8 sounded like.
>>
Disney killed cinema. This and Avengers have turned movies into videogames for minorities.
>>
>>63822090
>
19. Anakin's Lightsaber was recovered despite falling into the center of the planet Bespin, a gas giant. Maz never explains how she found it, saying instead that it was "a question for another time."

Yeah, well, they were able to recover it in the old EU, too. It probably fell in the same spot and someone else came by to find it. I don't have a problem with that.
>>
>>63811577
>I liked it, but then /tv/ said it was bad and now I don't like it any more
Fuck off
>>
>>63815161
>watched Akira
Stopped reading there. Why would you watch that unfinished piece of overrated shit, when you can read what might be one of the best comics ever made.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 512x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 512x450
>you enjoyed the film
>you read criticisms on a toxic board that never wanted to enjoy this film
>they nitpick every little detail like they did with the prequels
>apparently only the OT will ever be good enough for these raving obese manchildren
>they indoctrinate you and now the film you enjoyed a few hours ago is the subject of all your hate
>this place is the worst place to discuss TV and cinema ever

Why do I keep coming back?
>>
Be honest. Do you even have your own opinion about anything? Or do you just let 4chan, and by extension then internet decide how you feel about things. Do you really have to be this critical about fucking Star Wars? Do you let 4chan stop you from enjoying life? Wow. Do you really feel the need to fit in on an anonymous image board? When was the last time you had an original thought?
>>
>>63823704
agreed.

people need to come into movies with lower expectations.No director can come out and say that their fans need to check themselves but many of the people nitpicking it haven't provided solutions to how it would have met their standards either.

I went into the movie expecting the start of a trilogy that would have the same focus and narrow scope of the original trilogy with a lot of the great effects, cinematography and action sequences that the prequels brought to the table. I expected likeable, identifiable characters and good dialogue to fit a range of emotions. I wasn't disappointed with any of these points.
>>
What really gets me is that people fancy themselves as some sort of connoisseur just because they can pick something apart. Who's the more intelligent man? The one who constructs something, or the one who dismantle s it?
>>
File: star wars googly luke.gif (1017 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
star wars googly luke.gif
1017 KB, 277x182
>>63823847
>When was the last time you had an original thought?

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
>>
>>63823847
Be honest. Do you even have your own opinion about anything? Or do you just let reddit, and by extension then internet decide how you feel about things. Do you really have to be this critical about fucking Star Wars? Do you let reddit stop you from enjoying life? Wow. Do you really feel the need to fit in on reddit? When was the last time you had an original thought?
>>
>>63824014
Then you don't know how to recognize good cinematography, well written characters or good dialogue, because there isn't any.
>>
File: kylo.jpg (159 KB, 898x701) Image search: [Google]
kylo.jpg
159 KB, 898x701
>>63814614
This so much. I also feel that the film would've been improved by so much if the scenes on Starkiller Base had taken place on Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer or something. I really wasn't a fan of having a third Death Star, but overall I did enjoy the film. I have high hopes for Episode VIII, and I feel that they might be able to improve on Episode VII with anything they plan to do for VIII.

I'm also really pleased with Adam Driver's portrayal of Kylo Ren. Yeah, sure, he looks like a fucking mutant without his mask on, but he did the character justice and turned him from a character who I thought I'd hate into one I actually enjoyed. He wasn't a carbon copy of previous Sith and I feel like I have to give credit to both J.J and Driver for that. His saber, although I had doubts when we first saw it in the trailer, really worked too.
>>
>>63820644
It was a GLIB COPY THOUGH! fucking Rey's Mary Sue Plot armor the bigger and just as lousy made death star. ALL THE FUCKING MATERIAL IN THE EU! and this shit is what we got? FFFFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK JAR JAR ABRAMS AND THE MOUSE!
>>
>>63823268

turn off your brain - the movie
>>
File: the bomb awakens.png (12 KB, 234x55) Image search: [Google]
the bomb awakens.png
12 KB, 234x55
Its bombed anyway.
>>
>>63824502
Top kek
>believing you have the authority on detecting what they are
>probably either a neckbeard with a studio ghibli obsession or a first year film student with an 'edgy' side
>>
>>63822667
and how would you know that? did it explicitly say he wasn't an experienced Jedi. Or are you going on said assumptions because of Rey's Mary Sue plot armor?
>>
>>63822667
and how would you know that? did it explicitly say he wasn't an experienced Jedi. Or are you going on said assumptions because of Rey's Mary Sue plot armor?

>>63824642
let's ignore the obviousness for a moment and focus on the hero on the hero's journey. you know the hero who is supposed to be the eye view the audience takes that offers them a door into this world at the end of which is usually of the hero novice becoming a seasoned vet or at the very least a bit better than they was.

well Finn should have been the main character and not Mary Sue Rey.
>>
>>63824603
then there's Disney 200 million dollar advertising cost. some said as much as 300 million dollars. this movie has to make at the very least, 500 million to even approach what was spent.
>>
>>63824603
>>63824820
stupid fucking goyim. most of star war's profit comes from moichandising.
>>
>>63824869
moichandising doesn't = box office.

Do you even know how movie money works?
>>
File: kyloren.jpg (23 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
kyloren.jpg
23 KB, 620x349
>>63824671
Not the guy you're talking to, but I think a lot of people are saying he's inexperienced at lightsaber combat because there haven't really been any Jedi for him to face. He fought against the students at the Academy, but beyond that I don't think he's fought a lot of other saber duelists. Possibly Snoke, but even then Ren did take a direct hit from Chewie's Bowcaster before he fought against Rey. That thing has sent Stormtroopers in full armour flying through the air. Ren is a beast physically to be able to take that thing head on, but it still did weaken him.

I have to agree that Rey was overpowered in some aspects. Her mind control over that Stormtrooper is one instance that comes to mind, as well as being able to overpower Ren's force pull in order to get hold of Anakin's saber, although it'll make /slightly/ more sense if it does show us that she was previously trained.
>>
>>63824912
are you fucking retarded? i'm saying the box office doesn't matter really. most of their money is going to come from other sources.
>>
>lets kill off one of the most beloved and iconic characters in the history of film
>I know, his son, who he has had exactly 0 scenes with and the relationship with which the audience has no understanding of should do it
>Oh and lets then not mention him at all for the rest of the movie

B R I L L I A N T
>>
>>63824603
>it didn't make back 100% of its budget under 24 hours, and only considering US ticket sales
Yeah buddy, it sure bombed hard.
That's why whole cinemas were bought by Disney to only screen this movie for the holiday season. No way they'll earn a couple billions from merchandising either
>>
>>63815359
>Boyega was fine
Droid please
>>
>>63822187
>32. Just for the sake of consistency - Why do blaster shots cause bleeding in TFA? I was under the impression that blaster bolts seared and burned the skin.

Wookie crosbowns shoot projectiles.
>>
>>63813846
>You liked Star Wars for all the wrong reasons

Is this the new meme to use against people who won't suck Abrams, circumcised chode?
>>
>>63825322
The trooper shot in the beginning that Finn held was bleeding as well
>>
>>63815161
>Fractale
>Sword Art Online
>Guilty Crown
This is a troll, I'm pretty sure. These were all unequivocally terrible shows.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.