[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else feel like this wasn't really a star wars movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg (834 KB, 2400x1621) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
834 KB, 2400x1621
Anyone else feel like this wasn't really a star wars movie? It felt more like a generic blockbuster with star wars characters in it rather than the space operas the originals were.
>>
>first story is filled with passion and detail
>makes bank
>next installation is more refined, lots of passion and more experience
>makes more bank
>crew realizes they can shit out anyting and make money

this is the fate of every single artistic franchise.
>>
>>63810522
Agreed completely OP. Nonetheless 7.5/10
>>
Star Wars has always been bottom tier space opera at best. Just watch a proper one like Captain Harlock.
>>
>>63810522
It's the cornerstone of a fucking 4 billion dollar investment, I don't even blame Disney for making it that way.
Maybe they'll take more risks down the line, but right now they really have no choice but to play it safe.
>>
I felt the same way op. Guess I finally understand how the die hard Star Trek fans felt
>>
>>63810522
Sure but it was a really enjoyable formulaic blockbuster dezu sempay
>>
I disagree, it played it safe but it really felt like Star Wars again. The prequels just didnt have that same magic.
>>
>>63810911
Maybe they'll take more risks on the next movie coming out - Rogue One
>>
>>63810522
The pacing was off. There was never any exposition or dialogue. Just ACTION! ACTION! ACTION!
>>
>>63811070
yes it's supposedly going to be a gritty war movie
>>
>>63810865
That movie has the most bullshit ending! fuck you!
>>
File: 1448435679091.jpg (93 KB, 355x333) Image search: [Google]
1448435679091.jpg
93 KB, 355x333
>>63810522
Yeah. Seems to lack that epic feel regardless of all the explosions it throws at us. Weak characters and weak story hurts the film. Kylo Ren is a whimpering little bitch and doesn't feel that threatening.

I miss count Dooku
>>
>>63811098
Yeah, i agree, the scenes on Jakku with Rey at the beginning were great.
>>
>>63810522
>like a generic blockbuster with star wars characters in it rather than the space operas the originals were.

What? This was very space opera. It was filled with action with ridiculous plot twists. It had it all. Space operas were never supposed to be 2deep4u bullshit.
>>
Star Wars has always been shit

Take off your rose-tinted goggles.
>>
>>63812949
>Kylo Ren is a whimpering little bitch and doesn't feel that threatening.
>the character is weak-willed therefore he is bad

you're fucking dumb, I bet you think Darth Maul was cool even though was a genuine glib facsimile
>>
Its a fucking marvel movie pretending to be star wars right down to the poorly done antagonist
>>
>Lots of deep lore and history
>Family issues
>Great new characters
>Space battles

No, you subversive faggot.
>>
File: 1435496252188.jpg (209 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
1435496252188.jpg
209 KB, 600x582
>>63810522
>>63810796
>>63810863
>>63810865
>>63810911
>>63810931
>>63811098
It was JUST what I expected, this rehash is nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63810522
I agree. JJ's directing made it feel very strange. As autistic as it sounds I feel like the way JJ moves the camera around isn't congruent with how Star Wars is meant to look. I mean it had the ingredients for a Star Wars movies but it felt more like a Marvel movie at some points, especially with that stupid beam to power Starkiller. JJ you fucking hack.
>>
>>63813512
This. It's childish banality.
>>
>>63810522
Nope. It felt too much like a Star Wars movie in fact.

Your description is better suited for JJ's Star Trek film, which I actually liked a lot better. Kirk and Spock had charisma coming out of their ears in that movie.
>>
>>63814001

wew
e
w

lad
a
d
>>
>>63814242
Yeah that's the thing that stuck with me most, that Abrams styled editing and lack of patience. The pacing felt very off, especially in the middle, which made the establishment of a relationship between the main characters sloppy.
The scene that stuck out to me was reys vision scene and maz-k talking to her. What a waste. Well written and acted, but none of it had weight cause it happened without patience or visual significance.
>>
>>63810522
Nope.

It's a "Star Wars" movie.

It's just not a "Star Wars" movie made in the 70's or 80's.
>>
>>63810522
It didn't have the Fox opening theme which gave it that oomph.
>>
>>63813578
This.

It felt like avengers set in space.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 580x435
It would have made more sense if Tekka was Rey's mentor. He would get killed, and she would meet a hotshot pilot named Poe, then Jakku would be destroyed by the First Order. It is at this point that Finn appears on the Resistance planet, apparently willing to switch sides, but no one believes him.

From there we would cut to Kylo Ren's training in the force after abandoning his mentor, Luke. The diagram of the Resistance Base would be revealed, as well as incidental info on the new Death Star, and Han Solo would appear on the First Order ship incognito in order to divert his son Kylo. This fails as Kylo betrays him to his superiors. Daisy and Poe plan to rescue Han, but Phasma forces Kylo to kill him before they arrive.

From there, word reaches the Resistance Base that Han is dead, but Finn claims to have secret information on the new Death Star. This encourages Rey to jump into an X-Wing, but in a shocking reversal of fortune, she and Poe are shot down by the First Order as Hux manages to destroy the Resistance Base. Cut to celebration and a medal ceremony much like the one in the first film, but this time, Phasma is awarding both Hux and Kylo.

The warrant for Finn is renewed by the Order, as the Resistance remain divided on what to do with him.
>>
>>63814677
I've always felt that Star Wars is slowed the fuck down. The pace can be downtrodden. Frame by frames. It was going by so fast, snap, snap, snap. And then all the panning and 180 degree rotations on center.

I had the new Star Trek trailer and I'll be damned if it didn't look similar.
So he's done directing after this one right?
Because fix the pace and it'll all work out.

VIII is supposed to be the real big killer.
My bet, Rey does have a twin. They were separated. And there'll be a search like there was for who was supposed to be Leia.
>>
>>63810522
This is exactly how I felt.
It was like a paint by numbers summer superhero movie. It didn't even have Star Wars aliens in it, just weird Abrams ones that looked like they were from his Star Trek ones.
>>
>>63816631

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Like for all the strange nostalgia moments they had the lack of iconic species and really generic side-aliens was at an all time high.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.