[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I swore off all lurking and posting in threads for films and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: this is great.gif (2 MB, 832x346) Image search: [Google]
this is great.gif
2 MB, 832x346
I swore off all lurking and posting in threads for films and series near and dear to my heart like Star Wars and LOTR but I'll make an exception to post my brief take on The Force Awakens. I won't post any spoilers. In short, I was blown away. I'm not going to rank this film in terms of quality (not sure I'd even rank it ahead of this year's Ex Machina if we're just speaking in terms of quality) but I'm not sure that I *could* give it a proper score/rating.

All I know was that I had a cinematic experience on par with the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Better than Return of the Jedi. Better than anything else, including all LOTR/Marvel films with the possible exception of FOTR. But I'm leaning toward TFA over FOTR. Again, I'm talking "cinematic experiences," not "which film was better?"

No film series will ever touch my soul the way Star Wars has. And watching this new film on opening day with my 9 year old daughter and 6 year old son is going to go down as a lifelong moment for me. We all loved it. I loved all the characters, old and new. I loved the mood, tone, humor (actual HUMOR in SW again!), production design, drama and excitement. It felt more "Star Wars" to me than anything that came after The Empire Strikes Back. I can't believe that this day has come after everything that came of the Special Editions and prequels. And I absolutely adore the fact that this film fits with the previous six films OR perfectly fine with ONLY the original trilogy. Brilliant work by Abrams. Loved the subtle homages to everything from Nausicaa to Legend to Friday the 13th Part II to Apocalypse Now.

If TFA isn't for you then I truly hope that some movie coming up is because finding a film that was made with some of your most precious subject matter and sensibilities in mind is a wonderful thing. SO glad I only watched the first two teaser trailers and no TV spots. Nothing was spoiled for me and boy were there some surprises!
>>
File: 1435496252188.jpg (209 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
1435496252188.jpg
209 KB, 600x582
It was JUST what I expected, this rehash is nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
JUST remake my shit up senpai
>>
you can say the same about any capeshit movie
>>
File: literally reddit - the post.jpg (66 KB, 675x700) Image search: [Google]
literally reddit - the post.jpg
66 KB, 675x700
>>63808440
>>
I gotta get off fucking /tv/. First the mods with the spoiler sticky bullshit and now, tumblr and reddit coming in with their undying praise.

2016 isn't looking too good for this place. What happened, when did so many anons turn into emotional faggots over a stupid movie.
>>
>>63808524

This could quite possibly be the most fedora post on the whole website right now.
>>
>>63808703
Deal with the truth pleb
>>
>>63808524
is this pasta?
>>
>>63808802
No
>>
What a lot of people are loving about this is precisely what I disliked about it:

It's too much a homage to a new hope and empire. The story in its basic outline is a replay of a new hope, with one classic element from empire thrown in too.

It kinda felt like the producers were super wary of the criticisms of the prequels being 'not star wars enough,' and went in the complete opposite direction, turning tfa into basically a homage to new hope and empire, complete with cameos from the original actors (han dolos role was maybe a bit more than cameo but it still had that cameo feel and leia and luke were pure cameo).

It just kinda felt like a nostalgia piece to me... And there's nothing wrong with that, but the film just didn't do anything new.
>>
>>63808802
Now it will be
>>
>>63808524
>star wars

>sci-fi

nice bait
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.