[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So was this a metaphor for life and relationships? Either way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: colin-farrell-in-the-lobster.jpg (4 MB, 3866x5477) Image search: [Google]
colin-farrell-in-the-lobster.jpg
4 MB, 3866x5477
So was this a metaphor for life and relationships? Either way Film of the year.
>>
File: 1440540989669.jpg (161 KB, 398x362) Image search: [Google]
1440540989669.jpg
161 KB, 398x362
>>
5/10 pleb bait

fans of wes anderson and michael haneke will love it
>>
File: lobster.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lobster.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>63802397
I liked the way he walked up like it was nothing out of the ordinary
>>
great movie to be honest

funny and creative, normies will call it shit tho
>>
>>63802092
what's the best film of this year?
>>
>>63801889
No the film had zero subtext or symbolism
>>
>>63802092
This is the exact mentality that has lead to this complete drought of quality movies and barrage of Star Wars discussion
>>
>>63801889
Good movie :^)
>>
>>63802430
there were a lot of amusing moments in this movie

i liked the part where that one woman was basically begging him to fuck her, then he made up an excuse and then spent the entire time thinking about how good his excuse was
>>
>>63802822
I'd go so far as to say it's one of the funniest movies of the year even though I'd call it a drama.
>>
>>63802726
Why? The movie was pretty fucking bad. Most of the film felt recycled from the director's previous efforts or taken from the now standard independent aesthetics, a resurgence of 'slow for no reason is good' with boring (yes, Boring) shots punctuated by sporadic bursts of music.

The commentary was empty, the characters were childishly stilted and the central concept was poorly put to waste in place of a generic Love against The Powers That Be dystopian story. It reminded me in that way of a lot of 50's and 60's scifi pulp sold on some wacky concept that is barely explored and then ends in a simple fight of good vs evil.

I found very little worth liking in it outside the performances and some of the early humor. I'm sorry for having an opinion anon. But I'm not a fan of by the number stories told in a slightly off-kilter fashion that pats itself and the viewers so smugly on the back. It is in my opinion films like this that are the death of good discussion.
>>
>>63802397
She was the maid who helped him escape right? Like a part time loner?
>>
>>63802397
Reminded me of the bar dance in The Ordeal (2004)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owrlQlLExY
>>
>>63803074
how is it a generic love against the powers that be

he runs away from the powers that be, and then it turns out that the rebels are just as batshit crazy
>>
>>63803074
These are all your opinions. I found the shots riveting, the acting great (it was stilted on purpose which ironically made it far more true to life than most movie performances), and the commentary way more than empty. There were multiple aspects of this movie to consider and digest, and an enormous ambiguity about what we are supposed to take away from it. There are not many movies (especially recent ones) I can think of that have taken a quasi-science fiction/surrealist approach towards demonstrating the multiple very specific trappings of relationships in modern society. The bottom line is that regardless of your opinion it's undoubtedly one of the most unique movies of the year, and the fact that you seem hellbent on tearing it down while this entire board is literally discussing one of the most vacuous pieces of entertainment ever indicates that you are part of the problem, not the solution. I also notice that you didn't respond to the other person who asked you what your movie of the year was, and would be very curious to see what you think is good if you find this "pretty fucking bad."
>>
>>63803275
I don't think he understood the movie despite smugly claiming it was simplistic with nothing going on.
>>
File: lobster2.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lobster2.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>63803452
>The bottom line is that regardless of your opinion it's undoubtedly one of the most unique movies of the year,
Nothing about this film has not been done better by something else.
>>
>>63804074
Name one movie this year that even compares to it stylistically and thematically.
>>
if you think this is film of the year then you haven't seen Phoenix
>>
>>63803452

There were multiple aspects to this movie to consider and digest
>but I won't identify, discuss, or critique any of them
And an enormous ambiguity about what we are supposed to take away from it
>I didn't understand what the filmmaker was trying to say
demonstrating the multiple very specific trappings of relationships in modern society
>I had no idea what the fuck I was looking at, but I think it had something to do with love & relationships, or something. Specific trappings, modern society, are you guys buying this?
it's undoubtedly one of the most unique movies of the year
>It kinda went over my head, I don't wanna go out on a limb and say it was "good," but that shit was weird right?

Why do you try so hard to sound smart, when you are saying NOTHING of substance about the movie? It sounds like you're bullshitting your way through a high-school essay about a book you didn't actually read. There's not a single genuine opinion or definitive statement in your whole post.
>>
>>63804421
Not him but why don't you learn how to use meme arrows
>>
>>63804671

I'm re-defining the use of meme arrows. Greentext subtitles are a great way to mock people. Get on board or get left behind.
>>
File: Drengushead.jpg (104 KB, 430x582) Image search: [Google]
Drengushead.jpg
104 KB, 430x582
In the future/science fiction universe, everyone has autism.

At least that is how I viewed the film. I enjoyed it quite a lot. I didn't expect to laugh out loud but I did more than few times.

I wouldn't call it film of the year though.
>>
>>63804945

Nah definitely not film of the year for me, either. But it's a worthy follow-up to Dogtooth, unlike Alps which didn't really make much of an impression on me.
>>
>>63804421
Nice deflection. Still haven't shown me a movie that even remotely compares to the Lobster that came out in 2015.
>>
>>63804421
If you want to discuss themes then fine, but it seems as though you failed to grasp the central concept of demonstrating how love is twisted and lost in our modern society. I was simply saying that if you are hating on a movie that is attempting to have artistic merit when there are none to be found at all this year than I don't know how you can call yourself a movie fan.
>>
>>63805057
I was surprised when I found out those films shared a director when I put on my "films watched list". He does have a very distinct style.

One of my favorite scenes was when he tries to keep cool after the heartless woman killed his brother.

Funniest would probably be when he runs into the man with the limp and his new family and acts tough.
>>
File: chevalier-poster.jpg (126 KB, 620x876) Image search: [Google]
chevalier-poster.jpg
126 KB, 620x876
If you loved Lobster, you will love this.
>>
>>63805269
>>63805389

That was my first post in this thread, I'm not the guy you were previously arguing with. I didn't dislike the movie, I just got annoyed with your act of intellectual superiority when he was sharing genuine opinions, and you were basically just countering them with empty sentence structure.

You still haven't said anything that suggests you got anything out of the movie. Please, explain to me HOW "love is twisted and lost in our modern society," and how that was depicted in the film.
>>
I loved it desu.

Thought it was funny. It was something different, it was interesting. Metaphors were obvious but that seemed to be the point.

Whole message I got out of it was that Love is short-sighted not blind.
The whole scene at the end in the diner. Farrell definitely doesn't go through with it.
>>
>>63805795
Fine, but let's agree that you're a huge asshole for coming in a claiming I'm attempting to be intellectually superior when I was having an argument that had nothing to do with demonstrating that I understood the themes of the movie. And also you could just take me at my word instead of being a contentious fuckhead. To me the movie was about showing how that our basic societal structure reinforces ideals that are counterproductive towards experiencing love and emotions in general. It's also about the immense pressure that is forced upon us by those around us that we don't even realize. The whole point of the hotel was to represent both the aspects of conformity that are indelible to modern living and how love has depressingly become yet another bureaucratic nightmare that is predicated on arbitrary conditional elements that members of society had no control over and oftentimes aren't even conscious of. If you want examples, turning people into animals represents the shunning of individuals, the tranquilizing and hunting of outsiders represents the psychological manipulation that reinforces the flawed system, the relationships being founded upon superficial commonalities represent the largely arbitrary nature of modern pairings, and the outsiders represented the notion that even though you may reject the established order you still my be giving into it, which is where the ambiguity comes in. I'm leaving now so this was hasty and I could keep going if I wanted to. I hope your arbitrary guidelines for understanding a movie were met you pretentious hateful fuck.
>>
>>63806212
>Fine, but let's agree that you're a huge asshole
Why do plebs get so mad?
>>
>>63801889
It was more of an analogy for the arbitrary social processes and rituals expected in relationships e.g. the rigmarole of dating, imo, and pointing out how absurd many of them are
>>
>>63806920
I can see that too looking even deeper into it, the hoops people jump through
>>
>THE LAST THING I WANT IS A KISS FROM A STUPID LITTLE GIRL

lost my shit
>>
>>63806920
i would say it's also about alienation, and to some extent how lonely people might be viewed and even dehumanized

none of the loners have any names and are identified exclusively by their "defining characteristic", they're hunted much like animals, and if you can't find a partner you literally become an animal

and adding on to the arbitrary ritual part there's this extremely rigid rule that you absolutely have to have something in common with someone else in order for a relationship to work, it gets to the point where the loners begin contriving ways to follow this arbitrary rule to the point of ridicule
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.