[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate TFA on a scale of 1 - 10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: in a parallel universe.jpg (145 KB, 600x914) Image search: [Google]
in a parallel universe.jpg
145 KB, 600x914
ITT: we rate StarWars VII- The Force Awakens on a scale of 1-10

1 being The Last Airbender

10 being Citizen Kane

no troll answers, just honest ratings
>>
6. But that isn't a bad thing. It was fun. Pretty much exactly what I expected.
>>
DESU

3.5/10

4 if I'm feeling generous

its not THAT bad but it was very, very disappointing
>>
>>63792308
6.5, judging by cinema standards
8.5, judging by Star Wars standards
>>
6 or 7. It's a JJ Abrams RT fresh review special. It was never going to be bad, never going to be a classic either.
>>
7/10 as a film. If you're a huge Star Wars fan then probably a mid-to-high 8/10.
>>
>>63792308
7/10
>>
>>63792308
5/10
i really don't think JJ Abrams was the right person for this
>>
>>63792308
>in parallel universe
>still directed by JewJew and has a female protagonist

So it'd still be shit then?
>>
0/10. Awful editing/action scenes, zero gravitas. no attempts at emotional resonance ring true, because they feel like they popped off an assembly line in a nerd's basement. kylo ren is a cartoon, and has zero of the imposing nature of his idol. like a failed pilot episode of a star wars spinoff, this is a joke.
>>
>>63792308
7/10 - It's not entirely rehashing ANH.
The best parts were the ones where the movie did not try to be ANH.
>>
>>63792308
6.5-7/10
It was a solid entertainment flick. It executed what it went out to pretty well. It did have its flaws, but was overall a solid movie. The rating could be a point higher if you are a big Star Wars fan.
>>
I like go poopy in my big boy pants
>>
6/10 at best. It was fun, but it lacked soul and it was too much of a rehash of ANH.
>>
opening crawl right here for ep7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuY_DN7wus
>>
I am a huge Star Wars fan
>>
>>63792308
First half of the movie was pretty good desu. The entire sequence on Jakku was so well done, i'm a bit upset they didnt just called it Tattooine.
>>
>>63792308
If 10 is Citizen Kane, then TFA is a 12 or 13
This is actually my honest rating. Citizen Kane was good, but to say it's perfect and the GOAT is being pretty fucking edgy. But yeah last airbender is absolute trash
>>
>>63792472
already a copypasta good job bro
>>
>>63792308
I don't watch live /tv/, avoid hype and obvious marketing, and haven't given a shit about star wars in a decade, coupled with my low expectations of hollywood made this move a firm Didn't hate/10.
>>
>>63792308
8/10
>>
File: 7894398042.jpg (36 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
7894398042.jpg
36 KB, 366x488
a movie with huge ass plot holes and you guys are giving it a >5 (above average) rating? for fucking real?
>>
>>
>>63792308
oh wow
that looks better than jjs trash

TFA is a 6/10 tops
>>
>>63792308
7-7.5
A glib facsimile
>>
>>63792308
5 as a standalone movie, 8 at accomplishing its goals
>>
>but to say it's perfect and the GOAT is being pretty fucking edgy.

Saying Citizen Kane is the goat is like the oppisite of being edgy
>>
from 1-10 i'll say 7, so preddy good.

Liked most of it, disliked dumb stuff with Phasma.
>>
just imagine if Nolan wrote the script in combo with Lucas and directed it
>>
>>63792308
>10 being Citizen Kane

No one actually thinks Citizen Kane is a 10/10 movie, you realize, right? It was very innovative, and an astonishing technical achievement for its time, but it's not that great a film.
>>
6/10 but still a totally serviceable Star Wars movie and better than the entire prequel trilogy
>>
>>63792630
Actually this will be much easier
>>63787867
>>63787886
>>63787892
>>63787930
>>63787965
>>63787994
>>63788034
>>63788071
>>63788098

Thanks for reading nerds.
>>
File: 1425430168529.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1425430168529.png
14 KB, 800x600
rated by the standards all movies should be held up to it's a 4/10
Rated by the standards of it being a star wars film 6/10

5 > 4 >>> 6 > 7 > POWER GAP > 1 = 3 > 2
>>
I just got back from seeing it and I'd say a 4 or 5.
I was really bored the whole way through, there were no interesting bad guys at all (whining child in a mask and CGI Voldemort from Harry Potter were certainly no Darth Vader, Tarkin or Sheev), the locations were dull and the Tie Fighter/X-Wing battles were lifeless CGI cutscenes that my brain kind of tuned out for.
I mean, it was Ok for a popcorn flick, but I wouldn't watch it again.
>>
>>63792308
who's the semen demon in the center
>>
7/10. Although the plot felt cohesive, it felt too incomplete as a story. At least the previous films could stand alone as their own movies.
>>
7/10

Good action movie, meh star wars movie
>>
>>63792308
>>
>>63792308
>>
>>63792808
>Good action movie
You have terrible taste
Even worse than the ones giving it a 10/10
>>
>>63792775
Yeah, it really felt like the first part of a trilogy.
>>
>>63792308
6.5/10
>>
>>63792428
negro if you're a huge SW fan they're all perfect 10 the second coming of our messiah jesus christ
>>
>>
File: 1450424848327.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450424848327.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
3/10

This lazy copypasta of a new hope actually manages to take a shit on the original trilogy narrative. "You know all that shit you went through Ep 4-6, yeah in thirty years you fuckers are going to be old and all that shit going to be right back the same way it was before."
>>
>>63792775
This. The acting was good, the action was good, and the plots that were aftually resolved within the movie were done well, but I feel that too many plot elements were left hanging for the sequel. ANH and TPM tell a self contained story and I hoped TFA would do so too.
>>
>>
>>63792428
>If you're a huge Star Wars fan then probably a mid-to-high 8/10.
Sure if star wars fans are mentally retarded.
>>
>>63792775
>it felt too incomplete as a story.
It spread itself really thin.
>>
>>63792668
i wanted to say space odyssey 2001 as GOAT initially, but many normies just find it too dry

whereas something like Dark Knight is too plebian to be GOAT

citizen kane feels like the balance imo, its entertaining enough on its own and pleases both sides
>>
>>63792308
4.5, maybe 4

The more I think about it, the worse it gets.
>>
>>63792773
Can't you read the damn fake poster? It says so right there: Billy Dee Williams. Duh!
>>
3/10
this generations avatar 2009
>>
>>63792308
That fake poster is better than the movie we got.

3/10
>>
8-9/10, loved it, some people here just want something to nerd rage about. And yes i realize there were issues but i still feel like it was well done.
>>
>>63792308
It made apreciate The phantom menace.
>>
3-4
>>
>>63792308

I rate The Last Aibender 4/10
I rate Citizen Kane 6/10
I rate The Force Awakens My Penis/OP's Mom
>>
6/10
>>
>>63792308

Fun movie, but entirely forgettable and unfortunately named Star Wars.
>>
>all these people sying anything above a 5

i haven't even seen it and i know a 5 is genrous, probably in the 3-3.5 range.
>>
Solid 8. Far, far too many people on this board are looking for any excuse to dismiss it purely because of its popularity, when the fact is it's a really good, solid, entertaining and fun movie.
>>
6/10
Fun, didn't feel particularly Star Wars-y cos she never really felt or seemed out of her depth and the whole of the first two OT movies are Luke being totally out of his depth while a bunch of shit goes on around him, but yeah. Was good to watch, acting was okay, decent set pieces etc.
Better than prequels, not as good as OT.
>>
I'll just wait for the torrent. I don't want to support this garbage.
>>
>>63792612
What plotholes, faggot? How do you not realize it's just the first film in a trilogy?
>>
>>63793387
At work they give you some movie passes for your birthday every year. I didn't pay for shit.
>>
>>63793174
Exactly how i feel.

It's what i expected and unfortunately i was not proven wrong.
>>
>>63792878
Except a bunch of that shit is wrong.
>>
File: 1435496252188.jpg (209 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
1435496252188.jpg
209 KB, 600x582
>>63792308
It's JUST what I expected, this rehash is nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
4/10
>>
>>63792878

Just like in real life. Everything you do is futile.
>>
8.8/10

Made me want to watch episode 8, had enough great moments to make me want to rewatch and enjoy the trip again knowing the end
>>

Abrams is a hack.

Abrams is a fucking hack.
>>
>>63792308
7/10

Actually it was a 6/10, but i liked edgy Kylo and looking forward to see what are they going to do with him. Rian please don't fuck it up. Please.
>>
A New Hope - 9/10
The Empire Strikes Back - 10/10
Return of the Jedi - 8/10
The Phantom Menace - 3.5/10
Attack of the Clones - 6/10
Revenge of the Sith - 5/10
The Force Awakens - 8/10

About on-par with RotJ, better than any of the prequels but still falls in the shadow of the originals.
>>
>>63792396
No, it's very weak as a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>63792308
4/10

It's just a more EXTREME!!!ONE retread of Episode IV with a terrible antagonist and a Mary Sue for a protagonist, to say nothing of the massive pile of problems this pile of shit had.
>>
>>63792308
>just honest ratings
my honest rate is
forgetable OST
vapid characters
rehash
missed oportunity on a lot of things

that i will call it missed oportunity the movie
2012 was slighty more original than this CGI bonanza
>>
>>63793906
>le prequels are le worst thing that ever happened meme
The prequels are better than the force awakens.
>>
V = IV > VII > VI > III > I > II

Dont even bother objecting. I am infallible
>>
>>63792308

I thought it was pretty good :/
>>
>>63792308
It was a 4. God I am so disappointed.

Finn is such a boring character and his goodness is so hackneyed and forced. I'm expected to believe that you have been conditioned all your life to be a weapon of the First Order, and on your first day fighting you just suddenly go, "Oh none of this had any effect on my moral compass. I'm going to rescue someone told to be my mortal enemy." Even if they did dedicate some time to characterizing his reasons, he's still a really boring character. He's just some scared ass piece of shit who wants to run.

Kylo Ren was a huge disappointment. Every Sith has been really cool up until this point. Darth Vader was awesome, a force (hue) of intimidation and power and awesomeness. Darth Maul was a stoic martial-arts-like guy who was intense and saved Episode 1 from total disappointment. Darth Tyrannus was fucking Sir Christopher Lee, enough said. Darth Sidious was cool when he wasn't in the prequels. Kylo Ren? Kylo Ren is literally a fanboy of Darth Vader for no reason. Snoke (like what the fuck is THAT name?) somehow convinces the son of two people who personally saw Vader who were close with the guy who knew Vader that Vader was actually the good guy and everyone else was just lying or something. He's not cool or interesting, he's a raging emo faggot that Tumblr's going to ship with every other male character because why the fuck not.

Han Solo saved this movie from being a boring two and a quarter hours. He and Leia were still the most interesting and fun characters and Harrison Ford is still one of my favorite actors. He did a great job and his parts were humorous and very much so like the classics.

Rey was the only new character that wasn't a piece of shit, but that's because she's kind of Luke Skywalker. This isn't to say she's not a good character, because she's done well. It's nice that they didn't give...(cont)
>>
>>63792508
10/10
>>
>>63792308
Its probably like a 6/10 but thats not the same as a 6/10 as /tv/ usually means by 6/10
Its good, but it does have problems
>>
No its not
The only good thing about Star Wars 1-3 were the memes that came from it.
>>
>>63794120
Sorry it's

5 > 4 > 7 > 6 >1 > 3 > 2

Phantom Menace was jsut more well put together than Sith, not by a lot but still. Plus it had practical effects going for it which,

BY THE WAY, the practical effects REALLY pop in the movie.
>>
>>63794267
VII is so shallow and forgettable it won't even have any memes from it.
>>
>>63794334
I don't agree completely with what you said, but its not like you should judge a movie by the memes that come from it
>>
>>63794033
I don't think the prequels are that bad compared to some people, but they were still mediocre at-best, usually saved from total shit by the villains of each installment
>>
>>63794216
...Finn the Jedi path because fuck Finn. I REALLY hope they don't end up together. It would be absolutely disgusting, Finn is ugly as Hell and I don't really care for the obligatory relationships found in most movies anyways. She's better off without a love interest anyways.

I think where this movie fails is that it tries to rush you through all the information that would've been explained over the course of a couple movies if it was made by the team who made the original trilogy. There's also two main characters as all that rushing is going on, and you're not sure which one's going to actually be important until half of the movie is gone. At least the droids are funny. Too bad about Han Solo dying.

If I have any recommendation for anyone, wait until the DVD/BD is out if you're gonna pirate it. It's not worth paying for.
>>
>>63794033
You couldn't be more wrong.
>>
The plot was a little goofy, but it definitely felt like a star wars movie, abrams did a really good job of keeping the feel of the older movies. Im already excited for the next one

7-8/10
>>
>>63793718

This would have been a good plot motif if 4-6 was a more subtle bunch of movies, having Han having to become smuggler again for I don't know cuz he's got ass raped in divorce with Leia, was really sad to see.
>>
acting was very mediocre. Not sure if it was mis-direction or poor acting but rens opening lines were total bullocks. The film was full of plot holes the character depth was minimal. people were way too 'clean' after having lived in hardships for there entire lives. The person who wrote majority of the dialog needs to be fired. very visually pleasing 6/10
>>
>>63794388
this is pretty retarded
>>
File: sheev 1.jpg (17 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
sheev 1.jpg
17 KB, 541x559
>>63794216
>Darth Sidious was cool when he wasn't in the prequels.
>>
>>63794509
I'm not.
>>
6/10

First 1/3 of the movie was great beside all the coincidences (most which I can forgive)

There's just no sense of scale in the movie. You have a weapon that can shoot across the galaxy. Is the rebel base just a short bus ride away? JJ undermines the universe by throwing away distances and scale.

It's supposed to be a war between planets and fleets and super powers across a galaxy. But it just feels like the universe is the size of a city block and the empire and the resistance are throwing rocks at each other.
>>
It's literally guardians of the galaxy with lightsabers.
>>
>>63794315
Shouldn't it be 5 > 4 = 7 > 6 >1 > 3 > 2
since 4 and 7 are just the same movie?
>>
>>63794722
>JJ undermines the universe by throwing away distances and scale.
I mean remember into darkness, where Quonos and Earth are a 25 minute ride tops. And that a ship drifting without power can get half way there in the time it takes an action setpiece to happen.

It's sloppy directing, but how does it get past the editor?
>>

It was good, but it played it way too safe and tried to do way too much in too little time
>>
>>63794584
How so
>>
>>63794722
Agreed. Like i have said before, it feels shallow. I enjoyed it, it's a fun movie, it keeps you entertained the whole time, but that's all there is to it, it's no epic, just a fun action flick.
>>
>>63793396
why on earth would a military captain "Captain Plasma" clearly a highly ranked individual in the new order, evidence being that she was standing next to the leaders during the speach, not be able to take on two very untrained rogues or futhermore value not being thrown in the trash compacter over the safety of her planet when she must know that lowering the sheilds they would be susceptible to attack?

why was Ren such a good pilot? she had never flown a spaceship before in her life.

How did ren know that jedi's had the power to use the mind control technique. When jedis are a myth in her world that are rarely spoken about.

how was the black stormtrooper who was barely able to hold his own against a normal stormtrooper in a duel using a lightsaber and could easily fend of the main villans who had been using a swordlike weapon for years and was trained by the sith snoke?
>>
8/10

But I'm a huge star wars nerd so I'm probably biased.
>>
>>63792762
>Putting Ep III on par with Ep I

Good stuff, I agree wholeheartedly.
>>
>>63795006
literally what i was thinking throughtout
also how his moral compass activates and then goes fuck this imma kill some people again.
>>
>>63792308
5/10

Being generous.
>>
>>63792308
7 If I forget every other scifi or fantasy movie I ever saw.
6 If I forget every other Star Wars movie.
5 If I remember the other Star Wars movies.
3 When I remember that what got me into liking Star Wars are the Jedi Knight games, which the movie takes a huge shit on.
RIP SW.
>>
>>63792308
2/10 - on par with indiana jones 4 but probably worse.

There were some fun action scenes (even though about half of them felt soulless too) but this movie raped everything i love about star wars and wouldn't stop until the credits rolled.

I shed a few tears in the theatre at the end of the movie because i realized that there was never going to be a real star wars movie made again.
>>
4/10 if Star Wars standards

7/10 if movie standards
>>
8/10 despite all the horrible forced marketing and shit advertising the film was good
>>
>>63792482
>>63792428
I feel like I rate it lower as a huge Star Wars fan, personally. The pandering dropped it a solid 2 points.

5.5/10
>>
>>63796947
Why
>>
>>63796901
Do Star Wars fans realize only two of their movies are actually good?
>>
>>63796989
cuz I have good taste in movies
>>
File: transformers_optimus_grimlock.jpg (72 KB, 635x397) Image search: [Google]
transformers_optimus_grimlock.jpg
72 KB, 635x397
>this entire thread

is this the video game scoring system? where 7/10 = average, and 5/10 = poor?

because TFA isnt a 7 or 8 by a long, long shot

this movie is as good as that transformers dinosaur bullshit
>>
4/10 at best
>>
I haven't seen it but there's no way it's worse than the prequels.. And return of the Jedi only had a few good parts so probably 5,4,7,6.
>>
>>63797239
Only retards from /v/ and /co/ are praising it
>>
Please mention the SUPER-NotDeathstar.

How original. The scene where they comparative show the stars captures perfectly the meaninglessness of all the bloating up of old content.

4. Abrams = awful fucking hack. There's so much more to be said, that's gonna be said.
>>
>>63797002
Yes
>>
>>63792308

6/10
>>
>>63797239

I wanna hug you for being so right!
>>
1 to 10?

>1 being The Last Airbender
>10 being Citizen Kane

15. Not sure why you picked that one for your perfect movie.
>>
4/10.

It's not an abortion.

I feel like some people don't know how to use the 1 to 10 scale. They'll say "the movie was average, I liked this, but didn't like this 7/10".
>>
>>63797618
tell us your perfect movie le edge master

>inb4 some indie arthouse thing that only 20 people watched
>>
>>63792891
They are
>>
>>63797874
Hes actually a huge pleb my newfriend

An unapologetic one at that too
>>
I - 7
II - 6.5
Clone Wars - 8.5
III - 5
Rebels - ?
IV - 10
V - 10
VI - 8.5
VII - 9

I might still be coming down from the hype though. Watching it again tonight, we'll see how it starts to settle in.
>>
Here are all SW:

PM: 4
AotC 1
RotS 9
ANH : 7
ESB 8.5-9
RotJ 8
FA 8.5
>>
>>63798298
Do you think you'll notice the horrible pacing problems tonight?

This certainly isn't a bad movie. But there's nothing in there IMO that makes it anything more than average.
>>
0 - N I G G E R W A R S T H E C U C K A W A K E N S
>>
>>63792308
9/10
+
>Great technically editing, specials effects (mostly practical) cinemtography and sounds completely on point literally perfect
>New characters mostly great except for under utilization of poe, luke skywalker and too much rei
>Although not 'original' the story is quite good and leaves you wanting more
-
>Stupid cliffhanger ending Luke Skywalker doesnt say one thing just stares dumbly from a fucking cliff
>Soundtrack extremely weak as in Hobbit vs LOTR weak

9 out of 10 for me

i would rate it higher except for that fucking ending
>>
>>63798742
>>Great technically editing, specials effects (mostly practical) cinemtography and sounds completely on point literally perfect
FUCK OFF BACK TO /v/ YOU ANTI CINEMA CANCER
WHAT THE HELL
>>
>>63798742
I could've done with more Rei and no Finn at all.
>>
>>63792762
These are objectively the correct rankings. Well done anon. Anyone who disagrees needs to reevaluate their lives.
>>
>>63798566
I dunno, we'll see. I do remember that by the time the end of the movie started to close in on the theater, I felt like we were getting there too quickly. But I only felt that way around 3/4s of the way in. Up until that point I wasn't even paying attention to the pacing and was just honestly immersed.

So yeah, it could be possible that I'll be a bit more attuned to the quickness of the plot this time around. As it stands, I think they should've let the movie burn for at least another 15-20 minutes.

That said, I think JJ(who generally kinda sucks at holding a movie together the whole way through), did exactly what this franchise needed; and that was setting it on the right course. Movie was effectively a mirror to ANH, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that, though it does mean that the overall quality of this trilogy as a whole is going to rely a whole lot with what they do differently in VIII and XI. Which leaves me anxious but at the same time optimistic. I think it's good the director's helm is changing hands for the next two films, especially so on account that JJ has really poor staying power.

He was the perfect director for this movie, and aside from maybe 15 more minutes of runtime, -I- honestly couldn't tell you what more I wanted to see from this film. Let's just hope they can round out a solid trilogy.
>>
>>63798742
>Great technically editing, specials effects (mostly practical) cinemtography and sounds completely on point literally perfect

Literally perfect?
>>
5/10 as whole movie if it wasn't star wars.
The big canon destroyign that star system and Kylo Ren killing Han Solo makes it 6/10 cause that was unbelieveable satisfying.

And because it, just being star was, gives it + 1 points.
And god bless Abrams not forcing romance. +.5

So 7.5/10.

-Have to appeal to younger audience, so "emotional response time" after something impactful happens were too short,
-Younger audience too stupid so some stuff was that, a bit stupid. But even if starkiller base was destroyed too easily, it still gave me nostaligia, cause it's star wars. Can't be mad at a kitten.
-Destroying Warhammer 40k Starkiller-base in first movie.

Pls tell me that insane commander (who gave that actually pretty god "I'm insane" speech) is alive.
Gaben pls.
>>
>>63798830
I goddamn loved Finn. His interchanges with BB8 made me gut laugh and I thought his confrontation of Phasma was also great. He was basically a black nerd. I fucking love black nerds.
>>
>>63798897
It isn't a star wars movie
Its a capeshit with star wars paint
>>
File: Abraham.jpg (4 KB, 274x233) Image search: [Google]
Abraham.jpg
4 KB, 274x233
>>63792308
4/10 it was mediocre
>>
>>63798935
It really didn't feel right. He was a Stormtrooper, indoctrinated thoroughly from birth to be Not-Imperial cannon-fodder. So why is he some bland spunky guy with a not-twisted-at-all sense of right and wrong?
>>
6/10

Watchable, but ultimately a forgettable action flick.

V > IV > VI > III > I = VII > II
>>
objectively right answer: 6.9
>>
>>63799087
Well, for his moral compass, from the onset he was tremendously cowardly and simply wanted out of the situation he was in at any cost. It was only after seeing this love interest that he quickly bonded with through extreme circumstances(and in a way he had never experienced before) that he found his compass and decided to align himself on the path of light. Which is still kinda suspect because he outright lies about being able to turn off the shields to the Starkiller in order to save this girl he has his own selfish attachment to, and ultimately it's Chewy and Han who set the charges and push the group to properly aid the Resistance.

As for him going against his indoctrination and being this spunky guy, I just chalk it up to that's how his character was written to read as and he's obviously just one of the traitorous defects of the First Order system.
>>
>>63792308
7 or 8, probably will lower it in repeat viewings.

I think at the end of the day it will end around the same tier as RotJ and RotS for me.
>>
All the whiney little bitches in this thread thinking SW fans are the autistic nerds.

* It's SW. The plot isn't going to be perfect, and there is literally a magical force that helps people.

* It's supposed to be fun.

* You know damn well that themes are going to be borrowed from the earlier films.

For it's intended purpose and target audience, an easy 7 or 7.5.

In the SW universe: V > IV > VII = III > VI > > II > > > > > > > I

What worked:

* Acting was good...VASTLY BETTER THEN THE PREQUELS...and fuck JJ for making his anti-white comment which set everyone against Finn. He owes the actor an apology. JJ needs to check his own racism and not say SJW shit that actually undercuts actors.

* The interplay between the actors was very good.

* For the most part the story flowed well. Some of the coincidences and meetings were a little convenient, but they wanted to accomplish a lot in VII.

* Kylo Ren v. Han was very well done.

* FX were good, no over the top CGI shit.

* The subsequent lightsaber battles were good. ("Hurr durr how can a trooper and untrained girl hold their own against Ren." Ren's training is not complete. Aside from the cool force freeze trick, he is clearly not at the level of any of the Jedi Knights or Sith from the prequels. Obi Wan from Episode I would have handed him his ass. Finn was no doubt trained/programmed with fast reaction times, and Rey was guided by the force.)

What caused me to roll my eyes:

* Death Star 3: Electric Boogaloo. Don't get me wrong, the actual battle was as good as it could be given that they were reusing the plot device. Just wish they had been more creative. OR built it up over all 3 movies (where is it? when will it be operational?). I felt nothing when it destroyed those planets. Done too many times and this time with zero build up.

* I'm not crazy about Han going back to smuggling. It felt forced and I kept thinking "uh, no, you're a general fuckhead."

* Over use of Nazi symbolism.

>>
>>63800005
>* Acting was good...VASTLY BETTER THEN THE PREQUELS...and fuck JJ for making his anti-white comment which set everyone against Finn. He owes the actor an apology. JJ needs to check his own racism and not say SJW shit that actually undercuts actors.
>* For the most part the story flowed well. Some of the coincidences and meetings were a little convenient, but they wanted to accomplish a lot in VII.
>* Kylo Ren v. Han was very well done.
>* FX were good, no over the top CGI shit.

LOL
>>
>>63800005
Yup. Don;t let the trolls bring you down.
>>
>>63800005
What did JJ Abrams say?
>>
>>63800244
something about if i have the opportunity to put as many blacks in why not and not having a white room.
>>
>>63793906

>The Phantom Menace - 6/10
>Attack of the Clones - 3.5/10

fixed
>>
J.J. Abrams loves Star Wars. LOVES it. So much so he - along with everyone else - go out of the way to tell the closest thing to the '77 original as possible: dialogue, plot points, characters, ships and props lifted from the previous films dropped into a weak story to remind us of the iconic moments from the original trilogy. Any new idea - few and far between - tends to be the wrong choice simply as a way to reminisce the originals, making this fulfil its destiny: a Star Wars film made by fans of Star Wars.
2/10
>>
at least with the prequels we went to new places, even though its alll CGI'ed as fuck

TFA is just TNH rebooted
>>
>>63800244

"We wrote these characters but when we went to cast it, one of the things I had felt, having been to the Emmys a couple times — you look around that room and you see the whitest fucking room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably white. And I just thought, we’re casting this show and we have an opportunity to do anything we want, why not cast the show with actors of color?"

This set off a shit storm because people assumed Finn would be an affirmative action pick. He's a relative unknown starring in one of the most anticipated films of the decade. You don't set him up against preconceived notions like that just because you want to signal to your SJW friends how special and "not racist" you are.

If you're truly "not racist" you pick the best people, period. And when someone asks: "I picked the best people for these roles. Period."
>>
>>63795006

- Phasma*. And I agree, that character was pretty retarded, just a new version of Boba Fett, just to sell toys and shit.

- Rey*. I can see the complain, but the fact that she is a scavenger makes sense in why she know a lot about how to fix the millenium falcon. But the pilot bit was necesary for plot sake, you are not going to get an explination, but if she did it like crap (wich, at the start of the escape she was pretty shitty) and crash and died, it wouldn't be any fun.

- Maybe for the same reason you express. Jedis are a myth, and they're myths because of their great powers. So maybe she knew the force could be use as "telekinesis" or mind control. At least she tried, failing 2 times, but at the 3rd time, focusing herself and being confident she made it.

- Well... he kinda didn't, he got his ass kicked. He used the sword in pure common sense. And also, if that stormtrooper knew how to use a melee weapon why wounld't finn be trained with melee skills. Enough to block and attack but not to win a fight.
>>
>>63797239

I think it was something between a 8-9.

Never watched the fourth Transformers, I think I would give the first one a 6 and the others I would not even bother thinking about it and given them a 0.5.
>>
>>63798566

"Pacing problems" is /tv/ is basically a word used by hipsters to hate anything that's popular. You don't actually know what the world actually means.
>>
>>63792308
5 maybe.
>>
i had fun for 2 hours and 16 minutes and did not feel the need to shitpost excessively

it seems /tv/ did not
>>
>>63800921
nice buzzword
>>
>>63800971
nice meme
>>
>>63800886
pacing problems = bad pacing, duh

characters and storylines arent given sufficient time for the audience to digest

important details are hastily rushed, while unimportant ones might take up too much screen time
>>
>>63792308
9/10. If you go into the movie looking for flaws, yeah it's gonna be worse but only neckbeards do that. It was exactly what a new Star Wars should be. Nostalgic as fuck, non stop action and top tier cgi.
>>
>>63792308
5/10, I didn't want ep4 remake. I miss George
>>
File: image.png (127 KB, 345x337) Image search: [Google]
image.png
127 KB, 345x337
>>63793621
(You)
>>
8/10.

It's fun and all the action is glorious. The worst parts are when it slows down to explain things and pay lip-service to the Original Trilogy. When it got to be its own thing it was great.
>>
>>63792308
8/10
>>
File: 38217938131.jpg (49 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
38217938131.jpg
49 KB, 640x426
I wonder how much this movie will score on an average basis if it wasnt starwars

probably 2/10

giving it a score of 8, 9 /10 is literally putting it on the same level of Dark Knight

this movie is shallow pandering fanboy masturbation, thats all
>>
>>63792308

7/10

Liked it. Nothing exceptional.
>>
6. If A New Hope had never existed then it would be an 7.5.
>>
This shit is sounding like hivemind but it's a fucking 6
>>
7/10

is anyone keeping track?
>>
8 tbqh mina familia
>>
>>63792308
4/10

Rey being a Mary Sue took me out of it completely. Kylo Ren made Hayden's Anakin cooler in my mind, and that's a bad thing.

A bigger, badder and equally as flawed death star, really, really, took me out of it.

It was painfully obvious Rey was all powerful because girl power and Finn was shoe horned in because of muh progressive diversity. I didn't enjoy it at all. Should have just waited to see the Reverent and hateful 8.

I hate Jar Jar Abrams for making a piece of shit film. oddly enough it felt like star trek 09 in places. And Rey being a super powerful know it all James Bond like Protagonist ruins the character forever more as far as I'm concerned.

She's suddenly able to fly the falcon without any training or anything versus trained pilots? She's suddenly able to out force an avid force user who was able to stop a bolt earlier in the film? No training, just Power overwhelming?

Jar Jar done fucked it up and I was really hoping it was going to be awesome too.
>>
I liked it on par with A New Hope, so about an 8, for reference Empire is a 9 and Return is a 7.

A good film and very Star Wars imo
>>
File: 238419_1.jpg (73 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
238419_1.jpg
73 KB, 630x630
>>63801254
>you expect a continuation of star wars
>you expect amazing new planets and ancient temples
>you expect a new epic adventure across the galaxy
>you expect more jedi/sith lore

>you get this cheap recycled pile of turd instead

I saw it coming the moment JJ was confirmed to direct it. People are gonna love this movie for years, but mark my words, when this marvel craze phase is over people will see it for the worthless turd it is.
>>
7/10 for a fun movie
0/10 for cinema
9/10 for a Star Wars movie
1/10 if originality counts

bump all those scores up by 2 if there wasn't a nigger as a main character
>>
File: 1448112851848.png (475 KB, 760x797) Image search: [Google]
1448112851848.png
475 KB, 760x797
>>63801687
>>
File: 1450417863964.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1450417863964.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493

The last half of the movie was poor quality. For a starwars movie the CGI was pretty basic/bad. Maz Kanatas lips aren't even in sync with the dialog. The Han Kylo screen felt empty, JJ should have built this up more and NOT have filmed this in front of a blue screen what the hell. He was such a purist about the whole movie but for the most import event it looks like a Command And Conquer cut scene.

I feel like there was some politics or something that happened. The first half was so fucking solid, but at some point it just fizzled out. Not the worst, but not the best.
>>
>>63801472
You had me until you mentioned TDK, fuck that piece of shit.

Abrams or Nolan, who is worse? ...Can't decide.
>>
8.5/10
>>
File: 1448943000513.jpg (29 KB, 337x404) Image search: [Google]
1448943000513.jpg
29 KB, 337x404
>>63801472
>this movie is shallow pandering fanboy masturbation, thats all
>mentions the dark knight as a 8,9/10 film

Capeshit, spaceshit.... its all the same pleb. Get out.
>>
It's great. It takes everything of the OT, combines it into one movie and gives it a hearty polish. This is great because the OT was shallow, cheesy, poorly written, and poorly acted. Now they get to explore new territory in 8 and 9.
>>
>>63801799
Sounds like a budget thing. Practical effects are expensive as fuck.
>>
>>63794216
> Kylo Ren? Kylo Ren is literally a fanboy of Darth Vader for no reason. He's a raging emo faggot

You're not wrong, but that was exactly the point, and what I thought made him a good villain.

He wasn't evil for evil's sake like literally every other Star Wars villain. He had something to prove and something to live up to. He was desparately trying to be Darth Vader, but he knew full well he will never be as great, and he was self-aware enough to know he was making all of Vader's mistakes over again but was too afraid to really do something about it. The kid was in over his head and he knew it.
I thought that made for a very compelling villain, especially by Star Wars standards.
>>
>>63801166
This post describes J.J. Abrams in a nutshell. He's giving Star Wars the same half-assed treatment he gave Trek.
>>
3>5>4>6>1>2>7

something like that, fuck im disappointed
>>
File: e94.jpg (19 KB, 599x242) Image search: [Google]
e94.jpg
19 KB, 599x242
>>63792308
9/10 because of you know what happening to you know who and you know where
>>
>>63800005
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PREQUEL ACTING. JEDI ARE SUPPOSED TO STOIC, CALM, AND COLD.
>>
>>63801999
i hated the prequels with a passion and after this fucking movie, I don't hate them as much any more. I really, really hate this movie. and nothing pisses me off more than how they fucked up the heroes Journey because Rey had to be this flawless girl power prodigy that surpassed all others before her. Anakin took years, and Luke months and that's under the tutelage of actual Jedi Masters. Rey did it all without any of that because of girl power I guess.

fuck this movie.
>>
>>63795006
>Phasma

Agreed. She wasn't compelling. Offered some funny scenes. She gave up because when she was caught she was fucking held at point blank. I don't care how well trained you are.

>Ren
There's evidence to suggest that this isn't the case. There's probably plenty to learn about Ren, but she does describe herself as a pilot and does know a fuckton about how ships work.
Guessing the scavengers had visitors who, I don't know, used ships.

>Finn
Nigga got his ass whooped. It wasn't even close. He just needed a reasonable layer of plot armor so we could see some cool Kylo moves.

None of these are actual plot "holes". Most of them are explained for the sake of story or are simply unexplained bits of backstory.
>>
File: 7645365.jpg (77 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
7645365.jpg
77 KB, 900x600
>4.5/10 Prequel bad
Shit story, terrible acting, no character motivation, complete lack of chemistry, literally copy pasta plot of New Hope, minus any of the magic. It was basically a two hour "remember this" jerk off session. I'm so fucking disappointed in JJ.
>>
File: 1421775069095.gif (208 KB, 323x221) Image search: [Google]
1421775069095.gif
208 KB, 323x221
>>63802099
>>
>>63802063
it's not a bad movie, but it's painfully mediocre for a star wars movie, no one in my theater fucking cared when han died . it's the biggest disappointment of the century
>>
It was a 7/10 for me. The whole movie just sets the stage for everything that comes next and didn't accomplish much else. The pacing was off and it seemed to want to do more but was cut short for time. The movie could have used another hour or so to flesh out the characters and maybe would have benefited from not rehashing A New Hope on so many levels.

>>63802061

OT Obi Wan and Yoda would like to disagree.
>>
0/10 wookie bowcaster is supposed to shoot green blasts

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>63802132
but it fucking was though. and the worse part of it was Rey. Rey was fine being able to fix and fly the falcon for no good reason other than girl power and plot convenience, but to out force and avid force user? and don't get me started about the mumble jumble that was the reason and motivation of this new empire and the equally bland and flawed, death star. fuck this movie in its fucking arse pipe! Finn, the nigger, should have been the protagonist and Rey should have been just some Jedi Padawan who was hiding out. fuck this movie.
>>
>>63802173
Yoda went batshit on Dagoboh, and Obi Wan had years to reflect on Tatoine. It's not a suprise they changed slightly
>>
>>63802095
There are standard martial arts trained to military personnel today to deal with being held up at gunpoint. Pretty sure this would be the case here too.
>>
The prequels had their problems, but those are easily better than this movie. This movie is literally Guardians of the Galaxy Star Wars Edition.
>>
>>63802164
IT IS A FUCKING BAD MOVIE BECAUSE WE WAITED FOR THIRTY FUCKING YEARS FOR THIS SHIT, THIS FUCKING SHIT...FUCK!!!

Finn should have been the protagonist and Rey a Jedi of some kind, that would have been a better sell but what we saw was pure jack shit and it made no sense. and Han, fuck me did they fuck Han up.
>>
>>63792308
-3, I'd rather watch avatar

I'd rather watch ROTS on repeat for 8 hours than see another second of TFA
>>
>>63802099
I remember reading last night that the movie goes to shit in the last 20 minutes. I just saw it today and I can tell the exact moment anon was talking about.
>>
>>63792308
>10 being Citizen Kane

maximum pleb
>>
>>63802247
That shit is utter bullshido. It looks wonderful on a mat. It doesn't work in practical reality.

Besides, she was held up by FOUR fucking people.
>>
There's no scene in TFA that can compare to Sheev and Anakin's talk in in 3.
>>
File: 1254714316888.jpg (90 KB, 341x362) Image search: [Google]
1254714316888.jpg
90 KB, 341x362
>>
File: sad vader.jpg (416 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
sad vader.jpg
416 KB, 2448x3264
7.5/10

As far as Sci Fi action goes it's near the top (what else would you even rate higher in that category? blade runner?), although it is a bit of ad-lib fax silly me, tbqh
>>
8.5 out of 10.

Story was a little clunky, but the characters absolutely saved it.

Anyone who says Finn, Rey, or Kylo were bad characters, or that they had no chemistry, I don't even know what to say. I don't know how one human being can be so absolutely wrong.

If there's one thing the movie had, it was chemistry. Again, the plot was a little contrived, and the setpieces were fun but felt a little divorced from the story (We're putting an X-wing fight here because there has to be a dogfight in the big action setpices! There just has to be! Shut up!) but the characters really jumped out and made the whole thing sing.
>>
I give it a week before the shittiness starts to settle in
>>
I'm going to go see it a second time to get a more accurate feel for it. I know a lot of my feelings toward the movie are derived from the amount of hype I felt for it going into it.
>>
>>63802344

when Rey took that little nap during lightsaber fight ?
>>
>>63792308
8/10

a lot better than I thought it would be
>>
7/10 as a flick
3/10 as a film
1/10 as a cinema milestone
>>
Can anyone tell me how this is a better movie than any of the prequels? Seriously how? I don't any reason other than nostaliga pandering
>>
>>63802344
it starts slightly interesting then goes to shit in the first 20 minutes

then it just progressively gets worse
>>
>>63802510

it isnt
>>
8.5/10

Better then all of the prequel films and slightly better then ROTJ.
>>
>>63792308
i haven't seen the whole, but i'd give it a generous 6/10
>>
File: photography-star-wars-08.jpg (155 KB, 700x399) Image search: [Google]
photography-star-wars-08.jpg
155 KB, 700x399
>>63792308
7 - 7.5/10

Sort of fluctuates between the best of the prequels and the worst of the originals. Really enjoyed the dogfight scenes; brings me back to that kickass RotS opening scene. Still, the movie felt like it was mostly battles; nothing worse than decent, mind you, but not a lot of time to take the whole world in. I really used to like the whole "sneaking around the Death Star", "playing Space-chess on the Falcon" and "Luke practicing with the light saber" scenes of ANH. I felt this one kinda traded those scenes for nostalgia-pandering...

Still, I'm willing to forgive it, since some of those designs and costumes were really spot-on. While the music could be a lot better, the nu-Cantina scene and that sick-looking red smuggler really made the movie for me.
>>

Any other answer is wrong.
>>
>>63792308
It was so dense.
>>
>>63802510
better acting
no jar jar
not killing the villian in the first of the trilogy
not starting it off about a trade dispute
etc etc

I no I'm being trolled but this is /sw/
>>
>>63802510
The acting, for one.
The plot actually made sense, for two
The cinematography was a thing and wasn't just A-shot-B-Shot over and over
The CGI was better.
>>
>>63802396
>what else would you even rate higher in that category? blade runner?
Ok that's some top quality bait
>>
File: bait.png (84 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
84 KB, 4000x4000
>>63802396
>As far as Sci Fi action goes it's near the top (what else would you even rate higher in that category? blade runner?)
>blade runner
>>
I wanna give it an 8 but 7 is more realistic.

John Boyega was a 10/10 btw
>>
File: 627083.jpg (41 KB, 460x499) Image search: [Google]
627083.jpg
41 KB, 460x499
>>63802061

"Sith Lords are our spEcIALTEE"
>>
They did so much bad to Luke's character
>>
>>63802586
>acting

hayden was a million times better than the nigger and the coalburner

>TFA
>having a plot at all

>cinematography
because shaky cam and strange angles for no reason was exactly what the film needed

>cgi was better
not better than TPM, not even close, it's standard fare video game graphics, effects could have been made in battlefronts graphics engine for all I could tell.
>>
File: bugs bunny.png (382 KB, 578x709) Image search: [Google]
bugs bunny.png
382 KB, 578x709
Tron Legacy/10. Except slightly lower score for "delivers as a standalone movie" and slightly higher score for, "Okay, kid, that was a good first try. Now let's see what you REALLY got."
>>
6.5/10...I think

>>63792428

If anything being a big fan should drop it, since the biggest issues with the movie involve the undermining of the original Trilogy.
>>
>>63802727
ROTS writing was standout bad even compared to the other two
>>
>>63802510
It's a competent modern day capeshit film.
>>
File: timoedenkirk.png (258 KB, 373x370) Image search: [Google]
timoedenkirk.png
258 KB, 373x370
>>63802593
>>63802646
ok guys what should I have said then?

didn't realize everyone was so force sensitive here
>>
>>63802768
Oh, you're just a troll then. Alright, carry on.
>>
>>63797355
This. The movie started to feel like bad fucking fanfic at points. "Oh, you remember the Death Star? Guess what, biznitches, this one's like a million, billion bajillion times bigger, what, WHAT?!! That's what I thought, pussy."

*Groan*
>>
File: tumblr_m4gurtN4sh1rthrpyo1_500.jpg (30 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4gurtN4sh1rthrpyo1_500.jpg
30 KB, 500x379
>>63792308
As a standalone film: 5/10
As a Star Wars film: 2/10

It depresses me the more I think about it. The prequels are the crab juice that would wash the taste out of my mouth from this "khalkhalash" film.
The cinematography was poor. The camera was too close to everyone, everything felt cramped, and the scaling was just as bad as the plot progression. It no longer felt like a Star Wars film that took place in a galaxy, but rather a single star system.
The musical score was lackluster, and having not read the credit roll before going in, I thought it was someone trying to emulate John Williams. I can't think of a single original, memorable piece in this one, unlike the other six. The poor man needs to retire or pass the torch.
The character development felt rushed as well. It was like the film couldn't wait to go to the bathroom. Also, the way the old characters were reintroduced seemed almost timed to keep people interested in the film. And don't get me started on the "big" moment.

In sum: It felt too much like rebooted Star Trek than Star Wars.
>>
>>63802510
I didn't fall sleep
>>
I think it's a very strong 8. Teetering on the border between an 8 and a 9.

Liked:
>Boyega, Ridley, Isaac, Ford and Hamill were all great for what they had given to them
>BB-8 is a great design and character
>Humour was well done and not overly cheesy
>Action was more or less consistent - no part of the movie felt like it lulled or dragged

Cons:
>Carrie Fisher was Carrie Fisher, not Leia
>A bit TOO similar to ANH in parts
>Starkiller base felt like an after thought
>CGI creatures that took out those guys from The Raid are clearly not going to age well
>>
there is nothing wrong with Jar Jar, hating him is an acutal meme.
>>
>>63802823
>get rekt
>lelele just a trol
>>
5/10

It's a nice glib flick but played too safe and just rehashed nostalgia

They killed off one of the only character that had any worth and actual story development and pushed the main character role onto a mary sue who can do no wrong

Worried about what they're going to do with Luke in the next episodes and hope Kylo Ren develops more
>>
>>63801254
>>63801747
Yes. I miss that mad bastard so bad. Even at his worst it felt like Lucas was actually trying to add something to the lore and not keeping rehashing old shit.
>>
>>63802823
the cgi was legit worse than the prequels most of the time , and it's understandable since there wasn't as much of it i guess.
>>
>>63803139
The CGI was fine, but do you know what wasn't fine?
miscegenation
>>
>>63800732

Even 'strongest Jedi in the canon' Luke had to practice the Mind Trick for quite some time before he got it to work. Really does delve into Mary Sue territory just so they can say "see! She didn't need saving!"
>>
>>63801769

Joke's on you, Finn's a decoy.
>>
>>63803780
"Don't hold my hand! I can do everything, even master Jedi powers I had no idea even existed, because muh vagina. Check your privilege, shitlord!"
>>
>>63792517
oh
>>
>>63803780
>anakin is a certifiable child genius builds a droid and pod racer from spare parts at the age of 10
>still has to fly space fighter on autopilot and push random buttons to figure out how it works
>still more believable than Rei Illustrious Sue instantly knowing everything about a machine from looking at it for 2 seconds

>all that cringeworthy technobabble
>knowing more about the falcon than motherfucking han solo who probably spent years maintaining and customizing it

I couldn't fucking stand it.
>>
8/10
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.