[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TV-show runner J. J. Abrams brings his game-changing banality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: thebasedkingoftv.jpg (34 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
thebasedkingoftv.jpg
34 KB, 612x380
Armond drops
>The new characters in The Force Awakens are banal.
>The great renaissance of American filmmaking during the 1970s and its regeneration of film culture (when movies were seen as a vital means of approaching and understanding contemporary experience) were doomed by Star Wars’ pseudo-imaginative, non-campy rehash of escapist junk.

>http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428730/star-wars-demystified
>>
>>63789246

Captain Contrarian, thank goodness you're not here!
>>
>>63789296
Becoming upset when exposed to contrasting opinions is a sign of mental immaturity.
>>
>HURR IM A FUCKING STORMFAG RACIST WHO HATES THE NEW STAR WARS FOR POLITICAL AND RACIST REASONS HOW CAN I LEGITIMIZE MY CRITICISM TO LE BLUEPILLED SHEEPLE I KNOW ILL LATCH ON TO THE FIRST NO-NAME ATTENTION-WHORING HACK WHO WRITES A MILDLY CRITICAL VIEW OF THE MOVIE TO JUSTIFY MY INSANE RACIST, ANTI-SEMITIC, SEXIST BELIEFS TO ANONYMOUS STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET

DELETE THIS
>>
>>63789296
If you use the word "contrarian", you're literally just an idiot. It's an invented concept by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively.

It it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed shit designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Star Wars, breaking Bad, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>63789246
personal opinions aside, what was /tv/'s litmus for armond reviews again, if he hates it, does that means its normal-okay?
>>
>>63789441
if he hates it then it is probably shit,
if he likes it, it is definitely shit
>>
File: 1449947007420.jpg (57 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1449947007420.jpg
57 KB, 567x561
>>63789246
>Star Wars has always been goofy and banal
>complain that Star Wars is banal
>>
>>63789246
>caring what a contrarian thinks

Is the only reason you like this moron because he isn't a corporate shill like every other review? He's just the opposite side of the same coin.

Professional film criticism is dead and Armond is just a symptom of that larger problem.
>>
>>63789246
As usual with Armond there is some confusingly neo-con whining coming out of left-field but there is also the usual scathingly accurate criticisms.

>The Force Awakens is a bread-and-circuses carnival that is intended to keep millennial audiences docile. Maybe that explains the film’s unavoidable sell and both the media’s and the public’s desperate genuflection. Love of Star Wars is not love of cinema, just consumerist habit.

>When director J. J. Abrams re-stages that primal moment, he does it for brand recognition, but so unimaginatively that it feels hackneyed. Even though it’s meant to be painful for rabid Star Wars fanatics, it lacks mythological significance. Star Wars fans are not required to think metaphorically, so any Oedipal meaning is lost, just as the original scene’s impact was ignored in subsequent sequels.
>>
>>63789576
Why did you remove the best part?

>Star Wars fans are not required to think metaphorically, so any Oedipal meaning is lost (although there is something of millennial ingratitude in the new filial confrontation)
>>
>>63789534
Armond does write some really amazing reviews; his take on Creed was one of the few reviews that (accurately) observed the broader social significance of the film.

However more often than not his political analysis gets in the way of looking at the film. Such as in the TFA and Revenant reviews where he invokes Obama's name as a code for everything he doesn't agree with.
>>
>>63789534
>He's just the opposite side of the same coin.

his reviews are pretty well-argued though.
>>
>>63789650
oops, mistake. thanks for catching that senpai
>>
>muh millenials
How is this even an argument?
>>
>>63789745
it's not an argument, it's an observation
>>
based armond shitting on niggas
>>
>>63789390

Nice college essay, punk.
>>
>>63789745
How is that not? They are objectively terrible people and deserve to be called out, especially in reviews of their favorite movie series. Maybe something will click in their tiny brains if they read this and they might decide to become better people as a result.

Great film criticism doesn't just respond to and analyze the movie itself, it also critiques the audience and the larger societal context in which the film is produced.

Armond is one of the few legitimate film critics still around. It's appropriate that his importance is ignored by fanboys and sperglords.
>>
If u actually read it, there's no way he should be called a contrarian.

Especially if he paraphrases Campbell whom existence was necessary for Star Wars to be an actual thing
>>
>DUDE OBAMA MILLENIALS NIHILISM MOVIE-BRATS LMAO

His entire review is just buzzwords and political vitriol strung together. The man is pure ideology.
>>
>>63789745
He belongs here, he just spouts buzzwords and shitposts
>>
>>63790020
nope, read his review
>>
>>63790077
I did, it's ideological trash. I get the sense he didn't even watch the movie, he just found out the biggest twist in the movie from browsing /tv/ and watching that webm and then quickly cobbled together a "review."
>>
>>63790140
>ideological trash
Explain yourself
>>
Thus spake the voice of truth
>>
>>63790344
read his review
>>
The movie was shit but the cereal was delicious
>>
>>63790442
It was pretty good, too crunchy though.
>>
He fucking nailed with this line

"By now we all should know that there’s nothing of adult interest in Star Wars."
>>
>>63790442
>2015
>eating the grainy jew
>>
>>63789534
Why is he wrong
explain in great detail
>>
>>63790424
i did. he complains about hollywood being shit.
To say it is all ideology is meaningless
>>
>>63789246
BANAL?
>>
"Rey “leans in” when she grips the Skywalker light saber, so that feminists can rejoice at the Disney Corporation’s calculated political correctness (although Rey’s competence with weaponry contradicts liberals’ convenient attitudes toward gun control.)"
>>
>>63790611
HOW THE FUCK IS HE RIGHT YOU FUCKING CONTRARIAN FEDORA SPERGLORD HIS WHOLE REVIEW IS NOTHING ABOUT THE FUCKING MOVIE AND EVERYTHING ABOUT HIS RETARDED POLITICAL BELIEFS FUCK YOU AND GET YOUR OWN FUCKING OPINIONS
>>
>>63789379
calm down every thing will be OK
>>
>>63790661
he talks about the characters and significant plot points. He looks at films from a cultural perspective.
Fuck off back to /Empire/
>>
One of AW's focus is on what kind of stories filmmaker's want to tell. It's why he rates most of cinema as juvenile trash.
>>
>>63790716
NO FUCK YOU

>>63790722
WHAT THE FUCK IS EMPIRE YOU FUCKING MANCHILD
>>
>>63790747
ebin
>>
File: 1433944121200.png (1 MB, 664x654) Image search: [Google]
1433944121200.png
1 MB, 664x654
>>63789246
>The great renaissance of American filmmaking[...]were doomed by Star Wars’ pseudo-imaginative, non-campy rehash of escapist junk.
from that point of view he's totally right
>>
File: societalcontextcritic.jpg (46 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
societalcontextcritic.jpg
46 KB, 469x463
>>63789873
>Great film criticism also critiques the audience and the larger societal context in which the film is produced.
>>
>>63789390
This.
>>
>>63789379
>HATES THE NEW STAR WARS FOR POLITICAL AND RACIST REASONS

Can you outline these reasons?
>>
>>63789873
>They are objectively terrible people
>They
>>
>Love of Star Wars is not love of cinema, just consumerist habit.

hehehehehehehe
>>
File: happy_frog.jpg (19 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
happy_frog.jpg
19 KB, 396x385
>>63789246
>JJ brings a black actor for PC reasons
>White critics are euphoric
>A black man is one of the few with the guts to call JJ for his bullshit
>>
BASED ARMOND BTFO STAR TURDS

Fucking nerds literally getting cucked by Disney. Lmao
>>
>ITT chanarchists and shitkids justify their irrational hatred of the most popular movie of all time by quoting from the pretentious, pseudointellectual review of the world's biggest contrarian

Pretty typical 2bh.
>>
File: image.png (63 KB, 1000x920) Image search: [Google]
image.png
63 KB, 1000x920
JUST fuck my rotten tomatoes percentage up, senpai
>>
>>63789379
Get this hothead outta here!
>>
>>63790638
>calculated political correctness

muh nigga armond callin it how it be
>>
>>63789246
>le contrarian black 'hates every good movie, loves every shit movie' critic maymay
One of my favorites desu senpai
>>
File: star-wars-oranges.jpg (72 KB, 426x757) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-oranges.jpg
72 KB, 426x757
FUCK YOU I'M STILL BUYING MY ACTION FIGURES WITH KUNG FU FORCE GRIP

>tfw you run to the market before they run out of star wars oranges
>>
>>63790973
See>>63790611
>>
>>63790985
He hasn't been on there in years

Serves him right for liking that piece of shit Jack and Jill
>>
>>63790985
His reviews were actually removed from counting to RT scores (while literal youtubers are included). Gotta make sure those Marvel movies keep getting 90+% you know.
>>
>>63789390
I know this is going to be hard for you to believe, and try to stay with me here, but the word "contrarian" was around before reddit.
>>
>contrarian
>pure ideology
>political beliefs
These words are not arguments :^)
>>
>>63789246
I hate Jew Wars, but this nigger wrong.

The revival of film in the 70s collapsed under its own weight-- disgusting audiences rather than enlightening them. See The Deer Hunter, Heavens Gate, Apocalypse Now (none of which are any good, and only liked by idiots and 13 year old edgelords).
>>
>>63791040
Explain how he is right. Burden of proof is on you, chankid.

>>63791114
Oh look another chanarchist with no arguments.
>>
File: 8.jpg (19 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
19 KB, 300x225
>>63791039
>not keeping them in your Kylo Ren lunchbox
>>
>>63791017

not true. he likes plenty of well-liked movies. you only hear about him when he dislikes a movie everyone is jacking off over like star wars tho
>>
>>63789379
Why's it have to be racism? I liked Finn. Him and poe were the best part of the movie. The rest of it was ass though.
>Anakins grandson who somehow murdered the whole Jedi academy can't beat a stormtrooper in less than two swings
>He's then beaten by a girl with no training
>>
>>63790973
>chanarchists and shitkids
back to tumblr my little faggot
>>
>>63791156

does that come with a matching thermos? fuck i need this in my life
>>
>>63791053
It was actually the manchildren crying about him fucking up Toy Story 3's perfect score that did him in.
>>
>>63791145
I didn't say he was
>>
I like reading Armond White's reviews for a good laugh, and I love that he's somehow a respected critic despite how insane some of his stances are. Those of you holding up his review as some kind of great rebuttal are forgetting this man loved Transformers 2.

He's basically an angry old man that loves telling kids to fuck off. That kind of person can be pretty hilarious because kids aren't used to being told that to their face, and with conviction, in an age where so many of them are coddled with useless praise.

Doesn't make him always right, but fuck if he isn't fun to have around.
>>
>>63791157
Like every Adam Sandler movie.
>>
>>63789246
>RELATED: Star Wars: Revenge of the Social-Justice Warriors

oh boy here we go...

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428631/star-wars-force-awakens-social-justice-warriors-criticism
>>
>>63791177
Whatever zerg-nerd, the truth hurts doesn't it? Now go back and wank to your Star Wars toys you contrarian chankid sperg.
>>
>>63791207
I feel that he does the political analysis of films much better that Faraci, and all the other sites.
>>
>>63789390
contrarianism is a very real phenomenon, and the only reason you're saying all this is because you feel that being labeled as a contrarian makes you less unique.
>>
>>63791173
>Anakins grandson who somehow murdered the whole Jedi academy

I hate this shit so much. Not one other person in that academy was worth a damn? this just seems like lazy writing.
>>
>>63791274
what truth? im just laughing at your tumblr terms you underaged piece of shit cuck
>>

Thanks Armond

Now that that's settled, can we please stop littering 80% of this board with Star Wars and cape shit trash
>>
>>63791288
Exactly. Did Luke suddenly forget how to duel? He couldn't disarm an uppity little bitch HE trained?
>>
>>63791301
>cuck

The only cuck here is you, chansperg. You're the one eating the shit out of Armond White's asshole.
>>
>>63791381

>posts on 4ching
>calls others names for posting on 4ching

breh....
>>
>>63791381
reminder that consumerism is cucking of the highest form
stop trying to be contrarian on /tv/ pleb go back to your safe space
>>
>>63791145
reddit the post
>>
>>63791193
I thought that was CWC's big bro that fucked it up?
>>
>>63789246
this nigga is just butthurt they employed real actor instead of afriturd amerilard
racist prick
>>
>>63789476
New Hope and Empire weren't banal

>it's popular so it's bad
Literally leave
>>
>>63791422
>>63791435
>>63791467
>chanautist "logic"

Who said I even like Star Wars? I just know that I'm sick of seeing tubospergs like you criticizing a movie just to be edgy contrarians.
>>
armond isn't an uncle tom. he calls out white people often. even he realizes boyega was the best part of the movie despite what /po/fron/tv/ says
>>
>>63791207
watch TF2 without the overdone sound - too much stimulus. the action scenes are amazing and well thought out. That's what AW was saying. Bay is the master of action
>>
>>63791612

so nobody is allowed to criticize this thing? ok hitler
>>
>>63789379
>on a film discussion forum
>doesn't know who Armond White is
>>
>>63791612
close your browser then you big fucking baby
>>
>>63791205
Have you started your post in detail about why hes wrong or are you still saying a buzzword you just learned?
>>

JJ Abrams in a line. All of his stuff is soulless gesturing.
>>
>>63791737
JJ is a mimic par excllence
>>
I dont give a shit about star whores but its obxious how pervavise the marketing is. You literally go have into radio silence to avoid it.
>>
>>63791737
Cool, now how about you develop your own opinions on the topic?

>>63791658
>>63791677
epic arguments as expected
>>
File: image.png (83 KB, 591x363) Image search: [Google]
image.png
83 KB, 591x363
tumbledditors on suicide watch
>>
>>63789390
/thread

contrarian is a fucking buzzword that originally meant people who didn't agree with popular opinions about STOCK EXCHANGES.

I love when people use it because it exposes them for the conformist, reddit-tier idiot sheep that they are and you can instantly discard their shallow opinions.
>>
>>63789476
Star Wars was never "banal." The actors and script were lively and believable.

Until the prequels, they actually gave a shit and the dialogue was well-written.

Can you not into acting?
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (53 KB, 533x349) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
53 KB, 533x349
>>63791968
>The actors and script were lively and believable.
>Until the prequels, they actually gave a shit and the dialogue was well-written.
>>
>>63791939
Bravo my fellow enlightened channarian! I agree we are so much more enlightened than the mass of mindless bluepilled sheeple flocking to see the latest Star Wars films! Can you imagine it, they actually think they are being entertained! They will never understand true enlightenment like us!

CAN'T STUMP THE TRUMP
>>
I agree with him.

The originals had imaginative and in a sense "innocently" created characters. Sure they were combined stereotypes but they felt real and you could tell they came from a creative spark.

Ignoring the fact that JJ copy-pasted personalities from the originals you can tell how they really wanted to make sure that the characters "felt" right and that they were "starwarsy" and that the demographic will like them because they can associate themselves with them, or that they can sell good toys with them, or they can send a political message with them, or whatever.

In short, they were everything but based on that creative spark JJ never even had in the first place.
>>
>>63792023
See >>63791681
>>
File: daisy5head.jpg (173 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
daisy5head.jpg
173 KB, 682x1024
>>63789246
>>The new characters in The Force Awakens are banal.

characters aside, how is daisy's performance as an actress?
>>
>>63790973
I love how you morons don't realize that when you constantly throw around the word 'contrarian,' you're becoming perfect liberals in that you refuse to actually read and respond to real criticisms and points, but instead attempt make the entire criticism process invalid by labeling it as 'contrarian' in nature.

It's what the feminists and race-baiters do with issues too. Same with global warming faggots.

The entire strategy is to assign a blanket label over valid criticism that makes the whole thing into some deliberate attack instead of real criticism, then they can cry it away and hold each other without actually having to face facts or deal with reality.

What word will they make up next for you idiots to parrot to protect your fragile selves in every thread?

If it wasn't so disturbing, it would be entertaining.

I'm glad I have an actual personality and brain and am not a part of your neutered, backwards hivemind shit.
>>
>>63792073
How the fuck do you prove an opinion wrong, dipshit? His opinion isn't exactly sourced by anything but his own retarded beliefs, my opinion is that he is an edgy contrarian who has an irrational hatred of Star Wars going back decades.

Whether you agree with his opinion or not, it's still just an opinion. And my opinion is he's wrong.
>>
>>63791968
>the dialogue was well-written
have you see a ANH?
>>
>>63792113
Better than Carrie Fisher is one way to put it
>>
>Star Wars is a children's movie

no its not. Lets stop saying this meme please. The originals were never meant to be for children only.

Later Lucas discovered how much money he can earn with toys so he started putting more and more childish shit into SW but even the new trilogy wasnt for children.

SW is a typical adventure movie for all ages, but essentially its a male movie.
>>
>>63792125
well put
>>
>>63792113
Is that photoshop? Cant be real can it?
>>
>>63792184
>The originals were never meant to be for children only.

"George came back from 'Star Wars' a nervous wreck," Spielberg told TCM. "He didn't feel 'Star Wars' came up to the vision he initially had. He felt he had just made this little kids' movie."
>>
>>63792125
>real criticisms and points
>in an Armond White review of a popular movie

And yes, I read the review. There was nothing of substance in it. You only think it is insightful because you hate nihilistic millenials like he does. But how does criticizing the audience prove Star Wars is a bad franchise or that TFA itself is bad?
>>
>>63791876
there is no argument you're just flinging shit lmao i hope you don't go into politics my man
>>
>>63792281
I think he was too hard on himself
>>
>>63792125
Bonjour Reddit!
>>
Excellent review about a movie franchise that contributed to Gen X and the Millenials refusal to grow up and become adults. You're going to enrage a lot of people... you've stabbed their sacred cow... but keep it up.
>>
File: 2167495-now_this_is_podracing.jpg (25 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
2167495-now_this_is_podracing.jpg
25 KB, 480x480
Finally! I can finally share my true original patrician opinion of the prequels!

It's been 16 years since I sat down for my first screening of The Phantom Menace. The visuals and score were captivating -- the story telling and dialogue were top notch as well. Let's not forget the acting. It was out of this world! I could tell the entire prequel trilogy would be of the highest quality, and it was as it turns out.

I thought to myself then the same as I think now: thank the heavens for George Lucas. He truly is the patron saint of auteurs.

Alas, much like the underbelly of the Galactic Senate, there was a dark side to The Phantom Menace's success. The movie was TOO good.

I instantly regretted my having seen it as I was 100% convinced that the prequel trilogy would eventually be followed by vastly inferior installments that would force me to resent Star Wars. I absolutely knew beyond a doubt that they would contain race mixing via a cuckoldry story line. And even though I knew this, I was absolutely convinced that I wasn't sure of my knowing this, therefor I was 100% right even if my suspicions did not come to fruition.

Even and especially IF this were not the case, I was also absolutely certain beyond a doubt that the succeeding installments in question would be mediocre. This would make it vastly inferior to the perfection that was the prequel trilogy as they were all terrible, but memorable films.

Furthermore, any attempts and successes at quality film making present in these future installments would most certainly be negated by the fact that elements of the movies would be analogous to elements of previous Star Wars films, therefor lowering the entire film below the quality of anime.

I knew in my heart all those years ago -- 16 years ago -- that George Lucas selling the franchise to Disney was the worst possible thing that could happen to Star Wars. I knew it, and yet, I never voiced my opinions -- passively siding with the enemy. Sorry /tv/.
>>
>>63792218
seems legit
>>
>>63792023

Why do redditers always respond with snarky unfunny sarcasam every time their shitty world view is remotely challenged? Only shit go back to your hugbox you literal bleeding vagina
>>
>>63792349
I think he failed in creating a truly epic movie and ended up with a good children's/YA flick.
>>
>>63792318
Are you serious?
Art is separate from culture?
>>
>>63789246
Based Armond is based. All the things he said are true. It was a very enlightened review I must say.
>>
>>63789246
Armond ought to chill the fuck out desu senpai
>>
This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it’s nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you’d realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that’s just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It’s not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it’s also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won’t do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you’ll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it’s something for little kids.
>>
>>63792436
When I'm reading a review of a movie that just came out I expect the review to deal with the quality of the movie itself, not the culture that surrounds it. Why is this so hard to understand?

Armond only ever preaches to the choir, he isn't interested in converting people to his side, just in telling them what they want to hear.
>>
>>63789246
you know
Poe was very underused but in all the scenes he was in, he was great. probably because Based Oscaar Isaac
Boyega's character Fin was also pretty good and he has some genuinely funny scenes. just about everyone was good in the movie but the main 2 characters, Ren is just garbage in its purest form. can't act, mary sue, terrible expressions. Kylo's actor was fine but his character in general was just so badly made
>>
>>63792512
>t's been 16 years since I sat down for my first screening of The Phantom Menace. The visuals and score were captivating -- the story telling and dialogue were top notch as well. Let's not forget the acting. It was out of this world! I could tell the entire prequel trilogy would be of the highest quality, and it was as it turns out.
>I thought to myself then the same as I think now: thank the heavens for George Lucas. He truly is the patron saint of auteurs.
>Alas, much like the underbelly of the Galactic Senate, there was a dark side to The Phantom Menace's success. The movie was TOO good.
>I instantly regretted my having seen it as I was 100% convinced that the prequel trilogy would eventually be followed by vastly inferior installments that would force me to resent Star Wars. I absolutely knew beyond a doubt that they would contain race mixing via a cuckoldry story line. And even though I knew this, I was absolutely convinced that I wasn't sure of my knowing this, therefor I was 100% right even if my suspicions did not come to fruition.
>Even and especially IF this were not the case, I was also absolutely certain beyond a doubt that the succeeding installments in question would be mediocre. This would make it vastly inferior to the perfection that was the prequel trilogy as they were all terrible, but memorable films.
>Furthermore, any attempts and successes at quality film making present in these future installments would most certainly be negated by the fact that elements of the movies would be analogous to elements of previous Star Wars films, therefor lowering the entire film below the quality of anime.
>I knew in my heart all those years ago -- 16 years ago -- that George Lucas selling the franchise to Disney was the worst possible thing that could happen to Star Wars. I knew it, and yet, I never voiced my opinions -- passively siding with the enemy. Sorry /tv/.

Not quite, he's a critic, not a reviewer
>>
>>63792483
>muh anime

Literally kill yourself you walking talking subhuman
>>
I wish he would do a real review of it instead of just one of his half-reviews. Expecting Star Wars to be something deeper than a fun classic adventure is missing the point (A New Hope is a great movie even for kids who don't relate to any kind of "post-Vietnam anxiety"), but "feminists can rejoice at Disney's calculated political correctness" nails it.
>>
>>63792512
It's hard to understand why you would expect that type of review from Armond. His schtick is to look at culture. You can't comprehend that not all reviews have to be a certain way?
>>
>>63792512
Not quite, he's a critic, not a reviewer
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl8ATtghZ_Q
>>
ctrl+f anal

you guys are lewd
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>"HOW DARE YOU HATE STAR WARS YOU JUST HATE IT BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE LIKES IT YOU ARE A SAD PERSON!"

>*eats star wars brand cereal and apples*
>>
>>63792628
>>63792718
He's a political and cultural commentator, I buy that. He is not a film critic though, and certainly not a film reviewer.
>>
>>63792754
Those are some pretty neat Star Wars cups, family.
>>
>>63792838
Do you think Boogie can even go to the movies?

No way he fits in those seats.
>>
>>63792512
You are degrading Armond White to people on youtube that review games, movies and toys. His thought is razor sharp and always on point. If he doesn't speak anything to you, stick to youtube with their plot holes, character development and whatever bullshit.
>>
>>63792349
Maybe you're too easy on yourself.
>>
>>63792852
He's critic and a well respected one, but hated and demonized by reviewers

his criterion essays are great
>>
File: general-dodonna_hero2.jpg (279 KB, 1920x760) Image search: [Google]
general-dodonna_hero2.jpg
279 KB, 1920x760
>>63792172
How long is she even in the movie? Is she like the equivalent of the old general guys from A New Hope?
>>
>>63789390
You're right. I'm glad this post triggered a lot of dumb millennials.
>>
>Rey “leans in” when she grips the Skywalker light saber, so that feminists can rejoice at the Disney Corporation’s calculated political correctness (although Rey’s competence with weaponry contradicts liberals’ convenient attitudes toward gun control.)

God damn I love Armond.

Also judging by a lot of people's reactions to his review a large majority of this board is illiterate.
>>
>>63792852
>not a film critic

You are a retard. Star Wars is not a film, it's a product. You can eat Star Wars, sleep on Star Wars and fuck Star Wars. I feel bad that he even had to sit through that garbage for two hours.
>>
>>63789379
Are you calling the black critic who panned the movie a stormfag racist?
>>
Star Wars fags absolutely destroyed
>>
>>63789379
>doesn't realize that AW is an old, black, catholic fag
>>
I love that Armond White is a black gay conservative so liberals don't know how to deal with him besides dismissing him entirely because he makes them uncomfortable.
>>
Solid critique except
>Boyega is appealing-enough to surpass the series’ previous racial tokens, Billy Dee Williams and Samuel L. Jackson
>>
>>63793216
don't forget he's a homo too
>>
File: 1355238243187.png (130 KB, 400x428) Image search: [Google]
1355238243187.png
130 KB, 400x428
>all the faggots trying to justify their buyers remorse itt
>>
>>63793302
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqVNGSh-8Wo
>Liberals exploding
>>
This man is amazing, that spark is long gone. Star Wars is going to have a very sad future from now on.
>>
>>63793465
>justifying buyers remorse

the problem with Hollywood for the last 16 years
>>
File: farts.jpg (14 KB, 289x230) Image search: [Google]
farts.jpg
14 KB, 289x230
Redditors BTFO by Based Armond again.
>>
Are there any other film critics consistently based like Armond? There must be others out there like him.
>>
>>63792318
Noting of substance?

I think it might honestly be too deep of an analysis for you, and I'm not trying to be a dick on that.

>The “Luke, I am your father” revelation resonated because it expressed how George Lucas, like his movie-brat peers (Coppola, Bogdanovich, Scorsese, Spielberg, De Palma) struggled with Sixties generational ambivalence.

>Longing for innocence is all that the insipidness of the latest sequel, The Force Awakens, signifies. When director J. J. Abrams re-stages that primal moment, he does it for brand recognition, but so unimaginatively that it feels hackneyed. Even though it’s meant to be painful for rabid Star Wars fanatics, it lacks mythological significance. Star Wars fans are not required to think metaphorically, so any Oedipal meaning is lost...

I mean seriously, if you can actually read that review and then go "nothing of substance," you're going to lose the ear of many intelligent people.

TV-show runner J. J. Abrams brings his game-changing banality to the Star Wars franchise. He follows the template as originated by Lucas and appeals to adolescent thralldom, keeping the brand recognizable. The Force Awakens is paced better than Star Wars’ other dismal episodes, yet it’s even more impersonal. There’s no visual or spiritual excitement, as there was even in a cynical sci-fi product like Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. Abrams is making product to salute the cultural and economic status quo. With Star Wars, product has not only taken the place of art; it has replaced myth.

Yeah nothing of "substance" there, no thought-provoking commentary or deeper look at a media product within our culture. NOTHING TO THINK ABOUT HERE BUT I READ IT SO.

You say you read it, but what you meant was that you reddit.
>>
File: lol.webm (1015 KB, 396x800) Image search: [Google]
lol.webm
1015 KB, 396x800
>>63789246
I can understand this kind of movie isn't fun for everyone, but still. When I read the reviews of critics like Armond, they just seem so obsessed with intellectualism and desperately trying to sound smarter than everyone else that it's impossible for me to take their reviews (or the people who write them) seriously. Every negative review so far reads like it's written with someone who always has a thesaurus at the ready to make sure people can't actually tell what they're trying to say.

There's criticizing the flaws of the film, then there's getting upset over the film because it's trying to bring new life into a series people have loved for decades. Or clearly disliking the fact that millions or even billions of other people are perfectly happy to enjoy escapist, science fiction nonsense. It's like a homophobic writing a review of a gay romance: why bother?

It makes me have faith that all will go right for mankind when I realize that critics like this are largely ignored, mocked and laughed at and have absolutely no relevance to what the public at large does. This Armond guy hated Star Wars and called it shit in 1977, now George Lucas and the cast of Star Wars is 1000x more famous and successful than Armond is, people will actually care when they die and just knowing any one of them in the same room with them is enough to make hundreds of people burst into applause and excitement. Literally no one cares about who Armond is besides neckbeards who desperately wish they were smarter than everyone else who feel happy to lick his and other pompous critics' balls all day.

What the public at large does is watch fun movies. Always warms my heart when I see the completely rotten Transformers movies ratings compared to their massive box office success and how many millions of people love the movies. Movie critics have always been and always will be a joke to the rest of mankind.
>>
>>63790442
Is there a difference between the two? I only had Yoda-Os
>>
>>63793616
>You say you read it, but what you meant was that you reddit
rekt
>>
File: I absolve you.png (923 KB, 1021x445) Image search: [Google]
I absolve you.png
923 KB, 1021x445
>>63789246
MEDIOCRE
E
D
I
O
C
R
E
>>
File: tumblr_mcg432l3pu1ri88lco1_400.gif (169 KB, 390x290) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcg432l3pu1ri88lco1_400.gif
169 KB, 390x290
>>63793616
>You say you read it, but what you meant was that you reddit.

lmao I love you anon

But really I like the points Armond brings up. It's sad that so many "critics" can be appeased by easy political correctness in films. They're being manipulated and they don't even know it.
>>
>>63793124
What percentage of shittrolling faggots in this thread even now what National Review is? 3%? 5%?

Expecting a Roeper review from NRO is like expecting a foreign policy from this White House.

Notice, no one either mentioning his excellent review of the other movie in that column, which is actually about something.
>>
>>63793672
>George Lucas and the cast of Star Wars is 1000x more famous and successful than Armond is

oh shit, worthington's law!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJSeUIxydA
>>
File: 1449337797635.jpg (42 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1449337797635.jpg
42 KB, 640x640
>>63793616
>You say you read it, but what you meant was that you reddit.

FUCKING

BASED
>>
>>63793551
Pauline Kael
>>
File: 1439024763377.jpg (18 KB, 358x310) Image search: [Google]
1439024763377.jpg
18 KB, 358x310
>All these buttblasted Star Shit plebs getting antsy over Armond rightfully calling Star Wars out for being consumerist tripe
>>
>>63790944
But imagine what would have happened if he DIDN'T cast a black
>>
>>63793672
>Or clearly disliking the fact that millions or even billions of other people are perfectly happy to enjoy escapist, science fiction nonsense

and what does that tell you about society and our current culture?
>>
File: 1449362327190.jpg (362 KB, 674x744) Image search: [Google]
1449362327190.jpg
362 KB, 674x744
>>63793672
He's not really exceptional in any way when it comes to critical analysis as performed by academics and not your typical YouTube celebs who pander to the lowest common denominator.

Go to college. Read a few critical essays in whatever field appeals to you. You'll make it one day.
>>
>>63793672
>fun

There's that buzzword again. Just turn your brain off bro! Why are you such a pretentious asshole for not buying into Star Wars hype like the rest of the herd? You must be fun at parties!
>>
I agree with Armond that Abrams is a hack and this movie is a bland product, but there's noting wrong with "escapism".

To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, the only people who should be preoccupied with preventing escape are jailers.
>>
>>63792318
Typical worthless Liberal response: you only like this because he hates people you hate.

News flash: I know you Liberals base every opinion you have on how popular, socially acceptable, and emotionally appealing the person who presents it to you is, but actual thinkers prefer to view the facts objectively and make up their own minds to find the true and correct response, even if it doesn't agree with what they've previously thought or, most importantly, the mighty 'social consensus.'

It's actually especially important if it doesn't agree with their previous notions, because unlike you literal children, real adults have to check their emotional reactions instead of calling someone a contrarian, if they are ever to actually learn and grow into a smarter person. This is what we used to call "wisdom," and "adults" used to have it, or at least we expected them to.

This is how every Liberal-PC-SJW/naive college idiot operates at the core level. They are not objective - they are emotional and reactionary and they base their entire ideology on the acceptance of others. Their mind is a 'safe zone' and they cannot allow it to be breached by conflicting ideas.

They are terrified of thought crime because that will mean they won't be cool anymore.
>>
That review is pretty spot on. Armond always delivers.

>there are people on this board right now who unironically thought the new Shit Wars film was good
>>
>>63793672
here's part 1 (of 3) of an excellent interview with AW. it's very informal and you get insight into his ethos and thought process.
http://bigmediavandal.blogspot.com/2007/12/in-world-that-has-darjeeling-limited.html
>>
>>63793909
most people just use drugs
>>
>>63793672
I don't understand why people like you are so opposed to critical interpretation or literacy

>why does he use big words?
>just turn off your brain, bro!

He really isn't even that obscure in what he's saying, it's all very surface level in regards to the release of these movies at their respective cultural moments. It's alarming that you find it excessively contrarian to critically consider the content of these massive entertainment products.
>>
>>63793933
/tv/ worships RLM too

so theres that
>>
lmao this guy

>first two paragraphs are a poorly written political rant

terrible, i really wanted him to rip into star wars too
>>
>>63793672
>Or clearly disliking the fact that millions or even billions of other people are perfectly happy to enjoy escapist, science fiction nonsense.
fuck off,this argument does not apply, Almond loves pleb shit. He is a fan of Bay and Sandler.
>>
>>63789873
>Using fucking movies to critique the human condition

Fucking disgusting
>>
>>63794014
>/tv/ is one person

RLM threads are filled with redditors on both sides. Intelligent people just ignore those cucks.
>>
>>63789246

lol every word is basically true, but I still like the movie and SW
>>
>>63789390
This.

"contrarianism" is a meme defense of plebs who can't or don't want to bother to think.
>>
>>63794087
Except in hate for Transformers because that's cool to do
>>
>>63793616
It's like a 10 year old reading The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>Star Turds coming out of the woodwork with their weak, meme-criticisms of the greatest film critic of all time

lmao, Disney cucked you so hard you're delusional. can't make this shit up zenpies
>>
>>63793909
This is true, but what about those people who need something to be believable in order to escape? Like they need a quality craft to allow their suspension of disbelief.

I mean if we didn't want well-told stories we could all sit around in our underwear eating cereal and play with toys and use our imaginations. There really is no greater escape than that.
>>
>>63794050
>>63794050
They're not political at all.
>>
>>63794013

they have a point, that type of writing wouldn't fly in a serious academic world, he is dressing up a superficial analysis with weak analogies (arabian nights? wat lol) and verbosity.

also, >muh opedius, is what idiots say to sound smart whenever a son kills a father, it literally adds nothing nor is it thematically applicable to star wars
>>
>>63794141
Escapism and suspension of disbelief don't necessarily cancel each other out.
>>
File: sabrina smile.webm (710 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sabrina smile.webm
710 KB, 1280x720
>>63793842
That we live in a society so happy and decadent that we can all sit down together and watch a fun science fiction movie together? Thanks for asking me that question, made me feel good about the 21st century and mankind in general just thinking about it.

>>63793867
Yeah, no. I'm a project manager for a construction company, I'd rather spend myself actually building and engineering things rather than worshipping or trying to emulate people who make a living criticizing the creative works of others. Most of these guys never seem to be directors, actors or writers themselves, yet make a living shitting on other people's work. I absolutely love how thousands of critics shit on Michael Bay, yet that man has single handedly provided more entertainment and fun to people across the world than all those critics put together.. To me the word "critic" just reads as "failed writer".

>>63794013
Because no one cares. People just want to watch movies. If I wanted to read a book, I'd go to a library. It's easy to understand the phenomenon: people like Star Wars, there's a new Star Wars, people are going to watch the new Star Wars. Why are they going to watch the Star Wars movie? Because Star Wars movies are fun.

>>63793751
No one likes or cares about critics. No one ever has. Most people just like watching movies that are entertaining. That's what movies are, remember? Entertainment. No one builds statues of them or memorials of critics, no one ever makes cool posters or artwork of them after they die. They become icons to no one, they inspire hope or excitement in no one. These actors, directors, writers and special effects artists who worked on any of the Star Wars movies (even the shitty prequels) have contributed more to humanity than any movie critic.

>>63793960
yeah i'm definitely not going to care about this shit. I watched The Darjeeling Limited, it was an ok movie. I like forming my own opinions.
>>
>>63794141
>
That's what most Star Wars fanboys do when they get back from the theater.
>>
File: 1.jpg (24 KB, 381x450) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
24 KB, 381x450
>>63794197
>To me the word "critic" just reads as "failed writer".

Sure thing, pal.
>>
>>63794197
Damn, you somehow managed to be the most pathetic person ITT. Well done. I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>63794197
I think you misunderstand the role of a critic. Critic's help us to understand why a film affects us in certain ways. You don't have to give a fuck about what they think, but you certainly should not be sharing your shit opinions so freely
>>
File: SmugStormtrooper.png (201 KB, 322x324) Image search: [Google]
SmugStormtrooper.png
201 KB, 322x324
>>63794191
Okay, interesting point. I must ponder this now.
>>
>>63793909
>but there's noting wrong with "escapism".

Completely missed the point like how half the star wars shills did. It's not that star wars is bland banal garbage (which it is). It's how pervasive the cancerous culture is now compared to the first 2 sets. It has metastasized to the point you cannot escape it grips. You cannot go into a store, watch a show, listen to a song on the radio or even come to 4chan without it being mention constantly. It's everywhere. A shitty low IQ film made primarily to whore out goods is now a sacrosanct. It's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>63794197
>I like forming my own opinions.

Do you? That's not apparent from the rambling blog post you just shit out.
>>
He's the greatest critic in the biz
>>
>>63794297
Actually, all the best escapist works have a sense of tangibility to them.

>>63794309
It sounded like he was bemoaning escapism itself, not just the omipresent commercialism of it (though he did do that as well).
>>
>>63794014
RLM is awful, I watched the first half hour of the Revenge of the Sith review last night and it was the same nonsense about plotholes and fantasy world inconsistencies that populates drivel like Cracked.com and whatnot. It reminds me of those people that claim Inception is the greatest movie ever because it's basically pure exposition of some super convoluted dream physics.

I will never understand why people think wringing their hands over plot details in fantasy films is worth any time. It's honestly one of the biggest pseudo-intellectual indicators in regards to pop culture analysis.

Maybe RLM is in on it and the reviews are just subtle parodies of that type of thinking, but I have a hard time believing they would write such long reviews if that were the case.
>>
>>63794067
Everybody loved Sandler and Bay before social media decided they are not cool anymore.
>>
i don't like armond nor am i a /pol/-ack but tfa is a uninspiring shameless rehash
i mean does anyone believes it deserves a 90%+ on RT?
>>
>>63794197
>yeah i'm definitely not going to care about this shit.
wait, do you want to talk about OT (armond white) or just blather about yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ1a0ymGCKA
>>
>>63794197
>Yeah, no. I'm a project manager for a construction company, I'd rather spend myself actually building and engineering things rather than worshipping or trying to emulate people who make a living criticizing the creative works of others.
>yet make a living shitting on other people's work.

have you talked to the project's architect? seems your shitting all over their work
>>
File: 1448945710099.jpg (59 KB, 210x180) Image search: [Google]
1448945710099.jpg
59 KB, 210x180
>>63794197
lmao didn't read
>>
Wow if based Armond got to people that much, this article is really going to piss them off:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428631/star-wars-force-awakens-social-justice-warriors-criticism

Also if you keep reading, there's another review below Armonds from a guy who loved the movie, for another point of view.
>>
>>63794179
I do think he occupies a unique space in regard to film critics, not quite academic but not quite "newspaper column" either. I guess for some people he comes off as verbose, but I appreciate his quick little notes from his perspective. Still, part of me feels that the more popular and consumed something is, the more it should be held under scrutiny.
>>
>>63794433
how can it have 90% if it's not good
how can it not be good if it has 90%
>>
>>63789379
Drink some water. Breathe.
>>
>>63794577
>Still, part of me feels that the more popular and consumed something is, the more it should be held under scrutiny.

This 2bh. What is the point of criticism if not to challenge mainstream beliefs and products?
>>
>>63793672
daily reminder this is the kind of philistine gutter trash faggot you share a board with
>>
>>63794577
I would definitely like to read a longer critique
>>
>>63793672
>>63794197
You're a terrible person and embody nearly everything wrong with modern society. Just wanted to let you know.
>>
File: armond-white-twitter-exchange.jpg (36 KB, 650x223) Image search: [Google]
armond-white-twitter-exchange.jpg
36 KB, 650x223
haha wow, armond barely had to try on this one and people are still mad
>>
>>63794716
kek, which one of you fanboys drew that portrait for him?
>>
>>63794757
error the tripfag

probably dead by now
>>
>>63790661
>I-IF YOU DON'T LIKE STAR WARS, YOU NEED TO START THINKING FOR YOURSELF
>>
Famous economist Tyler Cowen reks jj too
>Meh. The first hour was a drag, as dozens of classic Star Wars memes were repeated in derivative and mostly uninteresting fashion. At about the halfway point the movie picks up, but by the end I was left with a flat feeling again. The new female lead was the biggest plus. A Darth for Millennials? Not every dramatic moment was in fact dramatic, nor does Freud seem to have emotional power any more. The visuals are nice enough, though few if any are startling. Han Solo could use Elizabeth Warren in his life. Learning curves are either very steep or very flat, depending on the character. Think of it as Star Wars for an age where Hollywood doesn’t really matter any more and everyone knows it.
http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens.html
>>
>>63794600
hype and nostalgia from idiots would be my guess
>>
>>63792172
That's a pretty shitty way to put it senpai.
>>
>>63794600
Money, dear anon. It's not unreasonable for a reviewer to bump up a mediocre, serviceable cash grab by a few points for a bit of dosh.
>>
>>63794197
>DUDE MOVIES ARE *SUPPOSED* TO BE GARBAGE LMAO

1. kill yourself
2. back to reddit
3. back to /v/

You're literally low-class scum
>works construction
Disgusting. I bet you stink and have 9th grade literacy.
>>
File: StopIt.gif (2 MB, 197x149) Image search: [Google]
StopIt.gif
2 MB, 197x149
>>63794655
>philistine

holy keks

>>63794392
>It's honestly one of the biggest psuedo-intellectual indicators in regards to pop culture analysis.

So what you're saying is that analyzing the plot details in a pop culture film is indicative of one being a psuedo-intellectual towards pop culture film analysis?

What else are you supposed to analyze? This isn't a fucking Jackson Pollock painting. A movie has an objective, and a genre, and many different dynamics, any of which it can fail at.

Actors have to make the audience believe they aren't actors. When they fail at this, they are correctly analyzed as bad actors.

Special effects have to represent something in the story that isn't real. When they fail to do this believably, they are correctly analyzed as bad special effects.

You can be subjective about some things, kind of why movies can be both craft and art, but there is a whole lot that can be and is objectively judged.

You can drive a shitty car that breaks down every ten minutes, but you people be like "I love driving this car! It makes me happy and it's pretty, so you're criticisms of how reliable the car is are fucking wrong! God stop ruining my fun why can't people just be happy with their cars!"
>>
>>63794822
why reviews are mostly bullshit
don't believe the hype

why criticism is about thinking about the object
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 450x618) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 450x618
It’s seldom realized that the movie brats’ films are essentially conservative, politically speaking. Yet, in the new millennium, filmgoers’ superficial political awareness makes them nostalgic for Star Wars to maintain the gullibility of their youth. Longing for innocence is all that the insipidness of the latest sequel, The Force Awakens, signifies.

When director J. J. Abrams re-stages that primal moment, he does it for brand recognition, but so unimaginatively that it feels hackneyed. Even though it’s meant to be painful for rabid Star Wars fanatics, it lacks mythological significance. Star Wars fans are not required to think metaphorically, so any Oedipal meaning is lost (although there is something of millennial ingratitude in the new filial confrontation), just as the original scene’s impact was ignored in subsequent sequels.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428730/star-wars-demystified
>>
His paragraph-long review of that Suffragette movie is equally on target.

>Not a good week for movie feminism. Suffragette retells the 1912 British movement for women’s voting rights by sentimentalizing victimhood and valorizing terrorist activism (planting bombs and throwing rocks hidden in baby carriages). Carey “Crybaby” Mulligan plays a newly politicized laundress, the lead character in this unscrupulous effort at popularizing dissent. As the Communist-inspired Emmeline Pankhurst, Meryl Streep pipes: “Be militant, each of you in your own way. I’d rather be a rebel than a slave!” using a Brit accent fake enough to be Blanchett. Director Sarah Gavron downplays the Emily Davison character, whose Derby Day protest and death catalyzed the movement. Gavron’s sentimental ineptitude typifies recent civil-rights movie propaganda, but with Suffragette 2015 movies may have hit bottom.
>>
>>63792157
Yes, have you?

Show me one piece of bad dialogue from ANH
>>
i always look forward to his semi-annual better than lists
>>
>>63794433
>>63794600

I would EXPECT it to get 90+%. That's exactly what Disney carefully bet so much money on--being competently made and inoffensive enough with enough widespread appeal to get most people to like it. The prequels by contrast had to screw up really really bad not to be well liked, and Ep III STILL has a 60%+ as bad as it it.

Having a high RT doesn't mean a film is particularly good. It just means most people will find the film 6/10, or "not bad" however you want to call it.

Generic Oscar shit and Marvel movies get 85-95% RT scores literally every year, and they're barely ever better than mediocre.
>>
>Now, the rebooted, politically empty The Force Awakens suggests a boot stuck in the rear of film culture’s flabby remains.

HUH?
>>
>>63795113
Are you an illiterate retard? Nothing about that statement is hard to figure out in the context of the rest of the review.
>>
>>63794988
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66jntR0MVE
>>
>>63794918
>objective
>actors
>special effects

Yes, and all of these are outside excessive scrutiny of plot details. When you're going on for 20+ minutes about why Darth Sideous' plan was far-fetched or why Yoda didn't figure things out sooner, you're spending too much time on irrelevant analysis. Suspension of disbelief, just imagine how many inconsistencies the original trilogy has under that level of scrutiny.
>>
>>63794969
i love his constant jabs at mulligan
>>
>>63794918
>fun

There's that word again

Back to Reddit friend
>>
>>63795205
don't forget Blanchett, he loathes her
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
>>63795165
I figured I could go back and find the uniting elements, but it just mixes metaphors and syntax a little too much for my liking.
>>
>>63789246
a glib facsimile
>>
>>63793909
Quite interesting that you'd quote him of all people when he was very outspoken about garbage being garbage
do you think he would have liked star wars?
>>
>>63795103
Yeah kind of distressing how the Rotten Tomato algorithm is the new indicator of quality. Honestly sometimes I wonder if aggregate / user-rating sites like RT or imdb have led to a decline in the general public's ability to critically judge films.
>>
>>63794918
>You can drive a shitty car that breaks down every ten minutes, but you people be like "I love driving this car! It makes me happy and it's pretty, so you're criticisms of how reliable the car is are fucking wrong! God stop ruining my fun why can't people just be happy with their cars!"

This might just be the shittiest analogy I've ever read.

You should stick to what you know (construction), because it's obvious you know nothing of art or art history or art criticism, and it's fairly obvious you don't read a lot.
>>
>>63795298
I don't know, that wasn't my point. I said the new Star Wars was garbage, but that doesn't invalidate the concept of escapism.
>>
>>63795284
i think blanchett's a fine actress when she's able to reel it in, but i can see where he's coming from. too often she just puts on her manic academy award face and meryl streeps everything. i sincerely hope she'll play norma desmond in the inevitable sunset blvd remake down the line
>>
>>63789379
good good, let the sperging flow through you
>>
>>63789390
>It it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed shit designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Star Wars, breaking Bad, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.

I know this is some low quality, walmart sold bait but this is actually mildly amusing, you feel that if people disagree with you as you disagree with them, they should leave what you view to be your safety bubble to find another one for themselves. I mean without all these lowbrow Star Wars posters /tv/ could get back to it's high quality standards of movies right?

Hypocrisy like this is why I keep coming back to /tv/, well that and bane posting, it's amazing how each group of pseudo-intellectuals can be so far up their own asses and still manage to shitpost at one another. Oh and contrarianism existed before reddit dingus, just like a lot of other things.
>>
>>63794392
>I will never understand why people think wringing their hands over plot details

RLM are filmmakers also, this is the stuff they notice.

what do you think scriptwriters think about when watching a movie?
>>
>>63795651
go back to your shill thread
>>
File: _1446824772.jpg (90 KB, 600x256) Image search: [Google]
_1446824772.jpg
90 KB, 600x256
Pretty good thread, nice to have semi-decent arguments on here. I will be thinking about all this while watching the movie tonight. Though I'll probably be disappointed and have to act enthused with the people I see it with.
>>
>>63795615
>bait

If you truly think Star Wars and Breaking Bad aren't lowest common denominator I've got some news for you, friend
>>
>>63795712
(slide whistle)
>>
>>63795325
It's actually obvious that I'm not the anon that wrote that other post. But I like how you masterfully refute my analogy by saying it's shitty and that I'm someone else.

It's actually a spot-fucking-on analogy, and I read a lot, and I write, and I enjoy art, art history, regular history, and criticism of all three.

Any other errors you'd like to toss in before we're finished?
>>
here's the rule for seeing modern hollywood films:

Am I in the demographic for this film?
if no, don't - it's not for you
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.