[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has John Williams lost his touch? Why are there no threads about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: john-williams.jpg.jpg (60 KB, 694x419) Image search: [Google]
john-williams.jpg.jpg
60 KB, 694x419
Has John Williams lost his touch? Why are there no threads about how he phoned this score in and that it's utterly forgettable.

Typically the music of Star Wars is almost like another character. The music from TFA is not the least bit memorable. The only music of note in it is that from previous SW films.
>>
It was easily the worst SW music. Barely registered it was there.
>>
Did the movie have that "epic" version of Han and Leia's theme from the trailers?
>>
Yup. It was garbage. Nothing like Duel of the Fates, Battle of Heroes or General Grievous.
Just terrible.
>>
damn that sucks
>>
>>63785504
He didn't write the music for The Force Awakens. He only conducted the score
>>
Leave him alone.
He can't make majestic pieces to go under non-majestic scenes.
Even at their worst, the prequels were shot "cinematically" with grand establishing shots, and swaying action sequences.
That's the kind of thing you can put epic scores under.

This movie is an quick and dirty action flick. John Williams music, the kind of John Williams music we'd expect wouldn't work here anymore, than Jerry Goldsmith's "Leaving Drydock" would.
>>
>>63785504
I can imagine him going downhill, the piece he wrote for classical guitar a while back isn't that great either.
>>
I was super disappointed by the music. The prequels still had stuff like Duel of the Fates. What did this introduce? I can't think of much. There's this music seemingly associated with the Resistance, but, I can't remember it very well, it wasn't very distinct.
>>
>>63786050

No, he did compose the score. I mean, what would be the point of him just conducting?
>>
Very disappointing
>>
>>63786080
literally this.
>>
>>63788064

Then he should have passed on the project
>>
Star Wars fans are living in the past

Go watch any films Lawrence Kasdan has written for in the past few years, the scripts suck ass

Go listen to any films Williams has done the soundtrack for in the past few years (Tintin for example), forgettable ass

All that nostalgia pandering. At least Howard Shore is still consistently amazing, probably the best thing about The Hobbit trilogy in fact

Posting again
>>
>>63787048
The same reason Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford were brought back; the same reason Mark Hamill, who only appeared for 30 seconds of the movie, was in it. The same reason for all the "callbacks" to the original trilogy. They are just trying to plaster as much "Star Wars" shit as possible to this movie in the hopes that enough people are fooled into thinking it's "authentic". It really lets you peer into the mind of JJ Abrams, and the minds of the audience at large. Materialistic cattle.
>>
>>63788302
Some how I sense that if he did, he might have passed away in some unfortunate, rodent related accident.

Disney's remaking Star Wars. Even if John Williams had died in 2008, they'd still have found a way to reanimate his corpse so he can be added to the credits list.
>>
>>63788593
>tfw this all comes from the rebellious "The new generations is always right" mentality that stopped people from listening to "old geezers" who "just don't get it", and lead into at-least three generations now losing the concept of evaluating what you're presented with, beyond its surface level because each generation is now relating to a whole different sphere of pop culture, and thus more complex ideas slowly realized within one sphere of culture never really get passed down to the next generation en-mass, as that generation is not interested. Leaving each forced to start from square zero, and becoming playthings in the mathematical necessity of the corporate machine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.