[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HALF IN THE BAG: THE FORCE AWAKENS WHEN?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: asdfg.png (62 KB, 590x477) Image search: [Google]
asdfg.png
62 KB, 590x477
HALF IN THE BAG: THE FORCE AWAKENS WHEN?
>>
He's right, but why do the have the RLM faggots have to act cynical and smarmy in every possible format?
>>
>>63785081
seems like hes being positive about it
>>
>>63785011
Wow, so they aren't that naive.

And yet they made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pn4bTAQWA
>>
File: typicalRLMfans.jpg (49 KB, 654x491) Image search: [Google]
typicalRLMfans.jpg
49 KB, 654x491
>>
>Pure
>"They didn't kill Han because they couldn't sell a 'Dead Solo' figure"
kek
>>
Daily reminder that Mike is the SW guy and the content of the Plinkett reviews are completely him on his own with the only help from Jay being on the technical side so Jay's views are irrelevant here.
>>
>>63785133
Yes, so he can act smarmy towards his own fanbase
>>
Well, he's right, but a big difference is that ANH and ESB were both far better movies than ANF. The movie had more issues beyond shameless, nonstop marketing.
>>
I didn't like the force awakens because it was garbage.
Fuck off with this pseudo-intellectual garbage.
>>
>>63785136
Hence the "welcome back". They're not saying it wasn't like this before
>>
>>63785200
This. Mikes opinion is the one that matters. Jay can fuck off.
>>
That's right, Jay.
>>
>>63785200
>>63785316
And you buttfuckers won't care about Mike's opinion when he says he likes it
>>
its more people criticize the prequels for having shit only added to sell toys to kids, but its fine when TFA does it
>>
>Well, what did you think of the new Star Wars movie, Jay?
>I thought it was actually pretty good!
>Really? You actually liked it?
>Well, okay, I wouldn't say pretty good...
>>
they both liked the new jurrasic park, neither of their opinions matter
>>
Why does he sound like a twat
>>
>>63785383
TFA can get away with a lot because it actually bothered to have good, likeable characters and expert cinematography in addition to being a product. Prequels were just a shallow piece of shit about taxes and democracy.
>>
>'I didn't like The Force Awakens because it felt like a studio product!"

What does that have to do with his subsequent tweets? I can dislike the other films for the exact same reason, it's not a 'weird' argument at all, unless you're arguing that the others weren't? but is anyone who is saying this shit about TFA arguing that the others weren't?
>>
>SW was once something pure

GEEK CULTURE WAS A MISTAKE AND I'M STARTING TO AGREE MORE AND MORE WITH THAT
>>
>>63785439
Jay didn't like it
>>
>>63785011
But in one of the Plinkett reviews, Mike does say that he feels that things were in the prequels just to be made into toys, unlike in the original movies (except for ROTJ). So he at least does think merchandising focus can seep into a movie and be a legitimate criticism.

Now of course for the broader point of "studio product" the original Star Wars was, and thank God, it was the studio who put the pressure on to fix the horrible original cut of the movie. It's the prequels where there was no studio pressure on Lucas and he could do whatever he wanted.
>>
how is it nostalgic to say that star wars was once an original poduct and now it's not?
>>
>holding a different opinion than I do is really, really naive!
>>
>>63785387

Every time.
>>
>>63785449
You are a giant faggot piece of shit. Expert? Really? Go rub shit on your eyeballs and contract a disease.
>>
>>63785585

Quality counter-argumentation
>>
File: 553.jpg (117 KB, 876x719) Image search: [Google]
553.jpg
117 KB, 876x719
But isn't this complaint basically the foundation of the entire Plinkett review?

For fuck's sake, didn't Rich and Mike just put out a video shitting on how Commericalized Star Wars is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HaGe8XcMHA
>>
>>63785316
>>63785200
Daily reminder that Mike is literally a pleb

If Jay liked it, guaranteed Mike liked it.
>>
>>63785449
>expert cinematography
>>
>>63785615

Nah, that video parodied how youtubers are all trying to capitalize on the immense hype for Star Wars by making videos with obsolete news and theories.
>>
>>63785615
This. I think being irritated at Star Wars movies forever nonstop has a bit more grounding to it than hating ANH because it had toys.
>>
>>63785614

You have shit taste. The characters were bland to all out annoying, unless you liked Bogolo channeling Chris Tucker, the plot was a mess when not outright copying A New Hope, and on and on. The movie is a mess and you suck ass for defending it.
>>
>>63785387
This
>>
>>63785387
you forgot to mention jay trying lazily not to laugh at mike's forced lead-in
>>
File: 1448540954005.jpg (12 KB, 253x247) Image search: [Google]
1448540954005.jpg
12 KB, 253x247
>>63785615
>>63785674
They're on a whole other level of hipster, same as Sam
>>
>>63785249
>Welcome back
>I think?
>>
>>63785011
But the original Star Wars wasn't all about selling toys. That's why Lucas got the merchandising rights for nothing from Fox and when the movie exploded they had to sell empty boxes with IOUs because they hadn't bothered to make the toys.

And while yes, movies have always been a business, to pretend the current model of long term planned in advance series isn't something new (usually by saying something dumb like "oh well look at how many James Bonds have been made!") is itself naive.
>>
File: 13541482579703s.jpg (5 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
13541482579703s.jpg
5 KB, 175x175
>>63785011

>tfw the HITB review for Star Wars is going to be Mike, Jay and Rich

the HITB episodes with all 3 of them are always so comfy, like the Into Darkness review
>>
The Mad Max Half in the Bag came out the Sunday after the movie premiered. RLM saw The Force Awakens at a midnight showing so it'll probably be online this Sunday.
>>
File: 75hinzs.png (94 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
75hinzs.png
94 KB, 396x385
>>63785798

>yfw it will be Mike, Jay, Rich and Jack
>>
>>63785798
Jack is going to be on too.
>>
>>63785200
He wrote them with Rich.
>>
Will Rich be Santa in the new HitB? He has to come back as a new character to talk about TFA. Unless he gives his opinion as Fake Plinkett.
>>
>>63785858

Rich will be Santa. Jack will be an elf.
>>
Of course Mike will like it.

He was pushing for JJ to direct the new Star Wars for a long time, and he had this idea based on how he directed Star Trek.

Force Awakens was basically the same kind of thing as JJ did with Star Trek, so I imagine this is exactly what Mike wanted
>>
>>63785895

Rich and Jack will come back as the video game repair guys they played before
>>
>>63785798

>Implying it won't be Jay, Rich and Mr Plinkett
>>
>that recent pre rec stream where Jack says how everyone should have an ID on the internet that is always visible and then gets promptly BTFO by Rich and the chat

that was so great.
>>
WTF?? JAY!! Why the fuck are you going soft, you limp-dick cumguzzling drone!? The original Star Wars films were stories and films foremost THEN toys and shit were made. This fucking film was unnecessarily shoved out the door because Disney can't have enough fucking money. They fucking ENSLAVED JJ and MADE him make this film to carefully calculate this entire scheme just LIKE they paid a majority o those damn critics to convince people to go see the fucking thing because of the rottentomatoes effect. GODDAMMIT, JAY!!! Even Mike made one of the best comments any of RLM has made since early 2014 when they did the jj interview bit and he asked about the colossal pressure of making the film and how Disney and thousands of investors and billions of dollars are riding on this fucking film. I was hysterical and fucking dying after mike said that 'cause rlm haven't been that biting with their satire in more than over 2 years.
>>
>>63785996
The ID system works well on /pol/

But fuck being recognized in different threads and having an archive of all my posts

Unique ID's for a given thread is fine
>>
>>63785206
>smarmy
Is that fucking English
>>
>>63785876

Have you ever seen Rich's idea of film "criticism?" Maybe some of the crass jokes are from Rich but he really isn't capable of delivering any of the substance of those reviews.
>>
>>63786108
Yes
>>
>>63786168
Eeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiii

That is literally what rich considers film Criticism
>>
>>63786022
That's completely wrong. Ewoks were created exclusively to sell toys and most of the story-telling decisions in Jedi were based on toy sales (Han can't die or we won't sell toys).
>>
>>63785996
linku
>>
>>63786209
that's fucking Jedi! Which was worst of the original trilogy by a LONG shot. And YES, that's when shit started going downhill and ultra-commercial.
>>
>>63785011
I'd say that was true around Return of the Jedi onwards, but A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back wasn't really like that. I think Mike even talked about it during the Plinkett review
>>
>>63786212
it's the most recent stream they did, the Blood Borne one. I forget the exact time, somewhere around the middle maybe.

>>63786072
yeah, but he was basically saying that any kind of anonymity should be done away with. like, the moment you go on the internet, you get an ID assigned to you and it will show up everywhere.

it's the quickest I've seen someone change their mind. rich and the chat immediately brought up a bunch of points, jack feebly tried to defend his position for a second, and then said ''yeah, you're right actually.''
>>
>>63785011
No one, at least here on /tv/, has criticised TFA because it sells toys.

They've criticised it because it's got very obvious flaws.
>>
>>63785011
Lmao and nerds shit on women who lose weight and suddenly start thinking their opinion is so important. It goes both ways
>>
seems like he's still somewhere in the denial/anger stages. should be moving on to the bargaining stage any time now.

he's being a bit disingenuous by just focusing on the glibness but ignoring the facsimile bit though. isn't the main complaint that it's just a rehash of anh?
>>
>>63785136
Wow you're pretty stupid.
>>
How does it feel that Jontron "Allah's chosen" Jafari had much better sets, acting and general production values for his shitty Star wars show, while HitB still looks garbage?
>>
File: 1369902718275.jpg (28 KB, 293x277) Image search: [Google]
1369902718275.jpg
28 KB, 293x277
>>63785011

Why would anyone listen to a Jewish manlet like Jay?
>>
>>63786506
yeah, but i guess in a way the two are somewhat connected though, someone could reason why it's a rehash is because disney doesn't want to take any creative risks because money
>>
>>63785615
The FOUNDATION of the Plinkett reviews? Are you retarded? The foundation of the Plinkett reviews is that the prequels were horribly written and horribly directed. Nothing at all to do with the merchandising angle.
>>
>>63785138
>these are the people who argue with here
>>
>>63786515
HitB is IRONICALLY bad. You should be able to relate with that, being an internet memer and all :^)
>>
I really don't get this argument.
Kershner was passionate as fuck about empire and I am pretty sure he didn't give a fuck about the toys.
>>
>>63786573
the motion picture is a jewish medium

ever allowing gentiles to be involved was a mistake tbqhwy
>>
>>63785439
>they both liked the new jurrasic park

Jay complained a lot about Jurassic World and said it didn't work for him. Mike liked it because he is a fucking big child who can enjoy things that are dumb.
>>
>>63785011
Jay sold out.
>>
>a secretly insecure person posts his opinion on twitter as an attempt to validate himself

man, where have I seen this before?
>>
>>63785011
>someone on /tv/ thought it was worth his time to make a thread about someone's tweet
Jesus Christ, get your act together, you faggots.
>>
>>63785615
I think you missed the point of the Plinkett reviews badly
>>
>>63785011
Jay vs Mike when?

And he's right, but the OT had the advantage of being created in an earlier era, where some creativity and originality could still find its way into the movie.

Disney just focused group tested everything and had their marketing department design, write and direct 90% of the movie.
>>
>>63786630
He may not have, but Lucas did. Lucas made a point of owning the merchandising rights for Star Wars before the original movie was even released.
>>
>>63785674
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pn4bTAQWA
>>
>>63786631
>the motion picture is a jewish medium

They didn't invent movies, they stole it just to make money. Just like Jew Jew is stealing Star Wars from the hands of Lucas just to sell more toys and promote anti-white ideas.
>>
>>63786691
I think you did
>>
>>63786662
Every thread on /tv/?
>>
>>63786736
Yeah but the argument was that star wars never had a "heart" and was always JUST a product.
And I am saying Kershner and a lot of the people involved made it more than that.
>>
File: 1444540317292.jpg (38 KB, 526x522) Image search: [Google]
1444540317292.jpg
38 KB, 526x522
I just want to know what was the point of making an Episode VII to begin with. The story was over, and you can never replicate what Star Wars did for cinema by just making more Star Wars (especially Star Wars fan films). It all just seemed like another Disney monopolistic move from the get-go back when it was announced they got the rights to the franchise.

And everything up until now has just been a combined pastiche of Star Wars with all the terrible parts of modern Hollywood. A cynical, calculated, nostalgic, frenetic, lowest common denominator-pandering, commercial cashgrab. And you wanna know the worst part? We'll never hear the end of Star Wars now. Disney's gonna milk this fucker dry until you'll BEG for no more Star Wars.

That's why I'm disappointed that so many people are willingly paying for and solidifying this bleak, desolate future: the death of a cultural landmark and the death of cinema.
>>
>>63786630
No, but the producers did. Just because you have passionate director doesn't make it less of a heavily merchandized studio product
>>
>>63786630

Empire was clearly the one movie that had a lesser emphasis on toys and more on the story.

You can even see how much of the original Star Wars was meant to be turned into toys. And then Jedi is full of shit that's clearly meant for children.
>>
>>63786772
That's not the argument at all. Where does he say Star Wars never had heart?
>>
>>63786787

Because of 2 things.

1.) Lucas wanted 9 parts.
2.) Disney is a money making machine.
>>
>>63786772
>Yeah but the argument was that star wars never had a "heart"
He didn't say that
>>
>>63786743
Yeah, white people were like NO FUN ALLOWED ONLY DOCUMENTARIES LIKE PEOPLE WALKING TO WORK THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

Then the jews came and made it entertainment and an artform
>>
But what about George Lucas working his ass off trying to make ANH

Surely it wasn't a mere toy commercial then?
>>
>/tv/ is too fucking dumb to understand a couple of very simple tweets: the thread
>>
>>63786787
Is it even possible to kill Disney right now?
>>
>>63786787
>We'll never hear the end of Star Wars now.

There was never a planned end, George Lucas has been bullshitting all along. There was no real backstory until Empire came along and he thought out about Vader being Luke's father.
>>
jay's only trick is strawman arguments. he does this in prometheus review too.
>>
File: 789.jpg (130 KB, 992x558) Image search: [Google]
789.jpg
130 KB, 992x558
>>63786787
>I just want to know what was the point of making an Episode VII to begin with.
>>
>>63786829
Ebin! XD
>>
>>63786867
They started selling IOU boxes for Star Wars toys the minute the original film starting doing well. There's nothing in Jay's tweets to indicate that he doesn't think there's never been any heart in Star Wars, just that there's always been a very heavy marketing influence in them.
>>
>>63786829

Not really, it was a thrilling and epic medium until Jews had to take it from us. Things were better back then.
>>
>>63786884
>I didn't go to film school, I went to /pol/

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63786881
You don't know what a strawman is. If he was saying that everyone who didn't like TFA thinks that Star Wars used to be a pure thing he'd be strawmanning
>>
>>63786881
What straman argument? He's merely bringing up one aspect of the Force Awakens criticism as being oddly out of place. Is this the entire foundation of his feelings on the movie? We don't have a Half in the Bag episode yet, but I highly doubt it is.
>>
>>63786817
>>63786826
He is quite literally saying that Star Wars was always
>"all about selling toys and making a bunch of money"
>>
>>63786912
You shut the fuck up, you piece of shit. You've never even seen nor heard of Intolerance.
>>
>>63786911
>They started selling IOU boxes for Star Wars toys the minute the original film starting doing well.
They had to do this because nobody had ever bothered to actually design any action figures for the movie. That's why Lucas got the merchandising rights, because they were viewed as worthless. Nobody was thinking about it during production.

Meanwhile every single costume, alien, droid, etc. for the new movie is going to be vetted on the basis of how well it can be made into a toy.
>>
>>63786948
No he isn't. His complaint isn't even about Star Wars. It's about idiots that are trying to act like the Star Wars films having a corporate/commercial influence is new and only applicable to TFA. You're dumb.
>>
>>63786912
Producer and cinematographer were jewish
>>
>>63786948

Star Wars was always about making money, that doesn't mean that there wasn't more to it than that.

I think even the prequels had good and honest ideas, but they clearly added some things just for the sake of selling toys, sometimes for the detriment of the story and characters.
>>
>>63786911
well then who is he trying to argue with?
>>
>>63786985
>That's why Lucas got the merchandising rights
Yes, because Lucas was smart and knew there'd be a shit ton of money to make from the toys, even if the studio didn't know it at the time. Lucas has been a business man from the very beginning and by extension, Star Wars has been about selling toys from the very beginning. Despite what morons in this thread think, that's not what Jay is trying to say Star Wars is ALL about, just that it's been an integral part from the very beginning.
>>
>>63786820
1 correction:
Lucas wanted 9 or 12. He always said it would be either or, depending on how far he felt like going as it all came out.
Now there's going to be 33
>>
>>63787012
Are you inept? The first 2 Star Wars films were always story and artistic integrity first, money second. Shit sold out with Return of the Jedi.
>>
>>63787012
>Star Wars was always about making money, that doesn't mean that there wasn't more to it than that.
Literally nobody is saying that there wasn't more to it.
>>
>>63787035
Could be worse

They could have made EU canon
>>
>>63786820
>>63787035
Yea, and he changed his mind by ESB that 6 is enough because he doesn't want to deal with this shit.

And 7-9 was supposed to be about Luke + his long lost sister vs the Emperor. Clearly that got compressed all into 6.
>>
>let's take a tweet and project a bunch of arguments that aren't there onto it!
Wow this thread is pathetic and full of dumb faggots.
>>
>>63786997
I am literally quoting him here.
Don't be fucking retarded.
>>63786997
>all about
>all about

Maybe I am wrong here but that means there is nothing more to it though.
>>63787056
Jay is.
>>
The time between Return of the Jedi and the Phantom Menace was shorter than the wait between Revenge of the Sith and the Force Awakens
>>
>>63786985
>Meanwhile every single costume, alien, droid, etc. for the new movie is going to be vetted on the basis of how well it can be made into a toy.

That only matters if it comes at the detriment of the film. Phasma being one of the coolest toys didn't stopped them from turning her into a pushover in the film.
>>
>>63787098
>I take hyperbole very seriously
Jesus Christ, you're embarrassing. Jay is even a Star Wars fan for fucks sake.
>>
>>63787118
no.
>>
>>63785011
he shitting on the people the are criticizing the movie
>>
>>63787029
Jesus Christ, next you're going to tell me about how Lucas had Darth Vader planned out from the start. The bullshit about how he got the merchandising rights in some far sighted business plan is just more of his endless propaganda. He got them because Fox didn't care. Guess what, Lucas didn't believe Star Wars was going to be a hit anymore than anyone else. He got lucky and merchandising was license to print money, despite, how I just said, almost no pre-planned effort to exploit this.
>>
>>63785081

because people eat that shit up le angry reviewer style
>>
>>63787134
Look I have only the tweet to work with.
I am just commenting on what I am seeing here.
>>
>>63787149
>He got them because Fox didn't care
Yes, and he knew they would be valuable eventually. Why else would he have bothered to secure them?
>>
>>63786881
So it's a strawman to complain about SCIENTISTS doing really dumb fucking shit like sticking their face up close to an alien snake thing, fucking around with a decapitated head and electricity until it explodes and sticking their fingers in weird black shit?
>>
>>63786743

>tfw finn is one of the only likeable characters in this movie.
>>
>>63787054
>The first 2 Star Wars films were always story and artistic integrity first

Not really, Lucas wanted money so he could make Apocalypse Now with Coppola.

He had a passion for old serials and space adventure but he probably never took the franchise as seriously as the mindless fanboys did.
>>
RLM were always a fake grass roots campaign controlled by Lucasfilm. Stage one was to minimize Lucas' importance to Star Wars in order to make the IP sellable to an outside interest. Stage two is to shill for these new abominations.
>>
>>63785189
That's exactly what he was saying fucktard.
>>
>>63787200
>Why else would he have bothered to secure them?
Nevermind, I know understand you a 13 year who has never been in a business negotiation, and therefore doesn't understand how common it is to get something purely because the other side wants it less, and then when it turns out to be valuable, to pretend it was a deliberate investment. Continue on with your belief of Lucas as a business genius, I will no longer disturb you.
>>
>>63785200
>Rich Evans doesn't exist
>>
>>63787245

My god you're right.
>>
>>63787149

The original concept for Star Wars was a Flash Gordon adaptation. Lucas clearly wanted to sell merchandise all along.
>>
File: 1436670169460.jpg (2 MB, 3859x4056) Image search: [Google]
1436670169460.jpg
2 MB, 3859x4056
>>63787245

Well that's not the dumbest conspiracy I have heard from /tv/.
>>
>>63787547
This seems more like a /pol/ /x/ collab, but then again /tv/ is honorary /pol/.
>>
>>63787604

Well the Kubrick theories are fairly common lately, not just in here.
>>
>>63787465

Who could have thought that merchandise was valuable anyway? You had to be a genius.
>>
>>63787547
Can you explain this theory for me? Usually I steer clear of these, but I got interested from the picture.
What DID Kubrick do? Did he do the Moon Landing? Or am I over estimating your hint at it being dumb?
>>
>>63787828

That image actually has three theories:

- Kubrick thought that the European Union was akin to Nazi Germany, which might have been a theme of A Clockwork Orange.
- Kubrick faked the moon landings for NASA, he "admitted" this in The Shining where he left some clues.
- Kubrick outed the Illuminati in Eyes Wide Shut and that's why they killed him.
>>
>>63787976
Oh. I thought the upper left was supposed to be:
>European Union = Incompetent children
Hence the babies with the same set up and.
>Warner Brothers/Mega Corporations = The New Rising Threat
Hence the colour similarity between the Warner Brother's announcement, and the flag of Nazi Germany
>>
>>63785485
This.
>>
>>63788074

Well Kubrick definitely had some anti-corporate themes in his movies, especially in 2001 with the IBM references.
>>
>>63785485
>>63788093
You know how /pol/ sometimes clamours on about identity politics? Welp modern geek culture is really the product of that (way more than transgenderism or whatever)
>>
>>63788171
There isn't much politics involved in it for the most part, though. Just an identity.
>>
>>63787073

Thank god that didn't happen. Now we can see Disney just rip it off, throw dumb names into the mix, and pretend they're original.
>>
>>63788238
Actually there is. It's obvious from the various internet sites, that geek identity is more and more linked with specific political ideas.
Also identity politics isn't about politics first, identity second, it's about using identity as a way to politicise people in the certain way, but still preventing them from going outside the "norm", that is late-stage capitalism.
It gives you the feeling of individuality and specialness, while moulding you into an acceptable and well-behaved citizen and consumer.
>>
What is your favourite RLM moment?
>>
>>63788420
Anyway back to 9/11.
>>
>>63788359
Yes but it's a recent development. And it's usually hitched unto other existing ideologies, such as feminism/anti-feminism (with Gamergate) and so on.
>>
>>63788420
The last ten minutes of the movie is just news footage of 9/11
>>
>>63788469
Sure. Most geeks probably didn't care that much about feminism, before the feminist came after, and criticised "their stuff". It always surprises me, when some /v/irgin comes to either /mu/ or /tv/ crying abour feminism saying: " why don't you guys care more about it, you could be next", not realising, that feminist critique of music and film dates back to at least early 90's, and that their critique of video games was pretty much the last piece of media.
>>
>>63785011
Half in the Bug is lame.
Just do a Plinkett special you faglords.
>>
A day has already passed

Sigh, lazy fucks
>>
>>63785523
He backtracked because Mike is a delusional idiot when it comes to movies.
>>
I identify as a Jay fanatic.
>>
what's his argument here
it's fine that there's characters in solely to sell merchandise like phasma, but it's fine because the prequels do it too?

because this is a common complaint of the prequels, in fact the plinkett reviews complain about it
>>
>>63788905
All of them were like that,
>>
>>63788796
I think they're still in denial stage
>>
>>63787547
>they killed him because he made fun of their masquerade orgies.
and that's where it falls apart.
>>
>>63788905
That's the thing, I don't get his point. He's attacking a strawman that doesn't exist, and that he didn't even properly define.
>>
>>63785136

There's a simple charm to New Hope, I think. Star Wars became something much more commercial and "impure" when people wanted sequels, I suppose.

I guess in that sense it is like a little idea becoming commercialized.
>>
File: scared-dr-bowman.jpg (8 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
scared-dr-bowman.jpg
8 KB, 320x180
>tfw you 100% believe the in Kubrick Konspiracies
>>
File: 1449825202933.png (702 KB, 2427x1443) Image search: [Google]
1449825202933.png
702 KB, 2427x1443
>mfw TMNT2 trailer looks way more fun and promising than TFA trailer did
>>
>>63788796
the fact that they're not rushing it out increases the likelihood that the review is critical. they're going to piss off entertainment folks less if they don't immediately yell that it sucks.
>>
File: b01_l.jpg (767 KB, 1400x2600) Image search: [Google]
b01_l.jpg
767 KB, 1400x2600
>>
>>63789100
the fastest I've ever seen them put out a HitB was for Mad Max 4, which came out on a Saturday I think. Second fastest was Prometheus which was on a Sunday.
>>
>>63789120
Should be 18 and up, we all know it's only manchildren who buys this stuff
>>
>>63789067
Agreed. Maybe it's the expectations thing but the trailer was more fun than SW7, Xmen and BvS.

>>63789100
Hopefully they hold off until Christmas Eve. I don't get to see more the movie until Tuesday.
>>
>>63789067
>HEY EVERYONE, I'M TEN YEARS OLD! LOOK AT ME!!!
>>
>>63788932
That seems to be the argument he's making, to be honest -- the originals were just as much about merchandising. It's absolute horseshit. It's essentially saying Star Wars was constructed knowing what an immense success it'd be with the sole aim of selling shit, like it's Transformers or GI Joe. Jay is as smarmy as he is retarded for his eagerness to call people really, really naive for not having a dumb as fuck jaded view of the originals.
>>
>>63789185
Might as well cancel the tickets and rewatch A new hope at home pham, and just imagine Anakin to be female and Han Solo to be black and it's exactly the same premise/movie
>>
>>63789162

>he didn't have snaggletooth as a kid

You have my pity.
>>
>>63789214
Star Wars cuck, please, calm down, breathe.

Be mad at JJ for rehashing a new hope with a diverse cast, not me
Be happy that TMNT 2 looks way much better than TFA did
>>
File: fucking.jpg (21 KB, 477x480) Image search: [Google]
fucking.jpg
21 KB, 477x480
>>63789067
It really fucking pains me to say it, but you're right.
>>
>>63789217
>It's essentially saying Star Wars was constructed knowing what an immense success it'd be with the sole aim of selling shit
It isn't saying that at all. When did /tv/ get so fucked in the head? Star Wars has, however, had a marketing/merchandising slant to it from the moment it started making tons of money.
>>
>>63789004
It's incredible that it's already been forgotten how huge star wars was during release.
>>
>>63789249
>Anakin

Oops!
>>
File: A New Hope Awakens.jpg (534 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
A New Hope Awakens.jpg
534 KB, 1536x864
JUST
>>
>>63785011
Don't they bash movies constantly for being studio products?
>>
>>63785011
He's right in a way, though there is a big difference betwen making a relatively new and inventive "studio product" and a studio iterating on that product in the safest way possible.
>>
>>63789340
but its star wars!
>>
>>63789249
>Anakin
>Han Solo

What? New Hope or Phantom?

Still seeing though. Don't want reviews to sway me. Spoilers though, who cares.
>>
>>63786787
This. After Ep.III, Star Wars was definitively OVER. The new trilogy as well as the new spin offs will just be big budget fan films, pure fanfiction.
>Ooh ooh and Han Solo's son is trained by Luke and then becomes evil!
>>
>>63785136
>>63785249
>>63789004
>>63789307
The novelty of Star Wars is gone, when ANH came out it was a fresh idea and it genuinely blew people away and had a profound effect on cinema and culture for years to come. TFA, although a great reboot if you will, comes off as some sort of product and it was really sickening just how hard it was shilled.
>>
>>63789406
TFA is a sequel to an unmade Episode 6.5 not to Return of the Jedi
>>
>>63789406
>Ooh ooh and Anakin is trained by Obi-wan and then becomes evil!
It's like poetry
>>
>>63789293
Look at the middle tweet of OP's picture, you spastic cunt. He says people criticising the new Star Wars because it's all about making money and selling toys are just nostalgic for something that never existed. That is literally saying the original Star Wars films were only about making money and selling toys as well.
>>
>>63786787
That's my problem now.
New trilogy but it's headed by Disney. They want movies to go on for decades.

So either that means we're stuck with these characters until the apocalypse or they end the trilogy and time jump shot for 10-12.
>>
>>63789465
>That is literally saying the original Star Wars films were only about making money and selling toys as well.
This is true though, but not for A new hope I'd say, it started with Empire strikes back
>>
>>63789424
A fresh movie influenced heavily by Kurosawa and sci-fi serials.
>>
>>63789503
>it started with Empire strikes back
this is wrong though.
>>
File: LukeChristmas.jpg (14 KB, 318x237) Image search: [Google]
LukeChristmas.jpg
14 KB, 318x237
>>63789335
DANG IT
>>
File: 1449754007443.jpg (187 KB, 1441x930) Image search: [Google]
1449754007443.jpg
187 KB, 1441x930
>Eventually we're gonna see BLACKED in Star Wars movies because "disney and muh progressive, IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR"
>>
>>63785011
Why can't these fag "celebrities" and gay reviewers just make a fucking blog website for their entitled opinions, instead of broken up unpunctuated 140 character sentences in 100 tweets.
>>
>>63789513
Everything is influenced by something, that is until Disney fucked the copyright laws and nothing anymore is in the public domain. Saying that one thing is influenced by another is redundant considering that everything is influenced by older culture. It's the natural progression of culture.
>>
>>63789540
You're right. When Empire Strikes Back Came out, there was most definitely not toys, bed sheets, costumes, etc.

Even before Empire, we had The Star Wars Holiday Special. Even before the Star Wars Holiday Special, we had the empty box special that you could buy that would eventually have toys to go along with it. Nope, Star Wars wasn't about selling out from the beginning at all.
>>
>>63789540
Boba fett, those big 4legged robots on Hoth, the snowmonster on Hoth, that thing that Luke rides and so on.

It really came apparent with Ewoks though in the third movie
>>
>>63789465
His overall point isn't even really about the merchandising though. It's that Star Wars is a studio product and has been since A New Hope first became successful. Singling out The Force Awakens for being a big studio film when every major blockbuster is as well, is naive and short sighted.
>>
>that top tweet

Nail on the fucking head. /tv/ actually acting like the Original Trilogy is some benchmark for sci-fi greatness. It's just as dumb and fun as the new movie.
>>
>>63787118
whoa you almost got me
>>
>>63785011
Guess that Check from Disney finally cleared.
>>
>>63789645
This.
Star Wars has always been about a franchise selling toys.
It just helped that the first one is truly good.
>>
>>63789669
It's not a benchmark for sci-fi greatness but it's a certainly a good sf dealing with a good and serious theme.
>>
>>63789739
So the first one was about selling toys?
>>
File: 1427751754724.jpg (33 KB, 298x279) Image search: [Google]
1427751754724.jpg
33 KB, 298x279
>being this obsessed with pleb opinions
>>
>>63789778
You're not too bright, are you anon?
>>
>>63789778
George knew what he had in his hands. Plus he most likely was able to secure budget by working out lie ending fees for the movie.
Why do you think actors took percentages of that over straight money.
>>
>>63789863
Based Arnold

>TV-show runner J. J. Abrams brings his game-changing banality to the Star Wars franchise. He follows the template as originated by Lucas and appeals to adolescent thralldom, keeping the brand recognizable. The Force Awakens is paced better than Star Wars’ other dismal episodes, yet it’s even more impersonal. There’s no visual or spiritual excitement, as there was even in a cynical sci-fi product like Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. Abrams is making product to salute the cultural and economic status quo. With Star Wars, product has not only taken the place of art; it has replaced myth.
>>
There was a shitload of SW merch from the very beginning. It was everywhere. There was no small doll/action figure market before Star Wars invented it. Using the Kenner empty box thing as an argument against the commercialization of SW is hugely misinformed or disingenuous.
>>
>>63789909
Star Wars has ALWAYS been about a franchise selling toys.
>>
>>63788860
He still doesn't like it and even jokingly makes fun of Mike for liking it in the Max Landis interview. I don't think you know what "backtracking" means.
>>
>>63789335
is this the sony power point of star wars?
>>
>>63789863
I don't think that anything that Armond said goes against what jay said.
>>
>Bauman
D R O P P E D
>>
>>63789924
Is that a fact? Or an assumption?
>>
File: 1448554963375.png (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1448554963375.png
32 KB, 300x300
>>63789067
Woah, you're right, TMNT2 trailer looks fun and has me more hyped to buy a cinema ticket than TFA did
>>
>>63789941
>Everyone knows the Star Wars series peaked with that confrontation in The Empire Strikes Back (1980) between Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and the villain, Darth Vader (played on screen by David Prowse, but voiced by James Earl Jones).

>The “Luke, I am your father” revelation resonated because it expressed how George Lucas, like his movie-brat peers (Coppola, Bogdanovich, Scorsese, Spielberg, De Palma) struggled with Sixties generational ambivalence. A father–son antagonism resounds through all their films as a reflection of Vietnam-era student protests and the privilege of those draft-dodging filmmaker progeny. Even Lucas, in his escapist outer-space mode, iterated the era’s unease, culminating in Luke’s fear and symbolic castration.

>It’s seldom realized that the movie brats’ films are essentially conservative, politically speaking. Yet, in the new millennium, filmgoers’ superficial political awareness makes them nostalgic for Star Wars to maintain the gullibility of their youth. Longing for innocence is all that the insipidness of the latest sequel, The Force Awakens, signifies. When director J. J. Abrams re-stages that primal moment, he does it for brand recognition, but so unimaginatively that it feels hackneyed. Even though it’s meant to be painful for rabid Star Wars fanatics, it lacks mythological significance. Star Wars fans are not required to think metaphorically, so any Oedipal meaning is lost (although there is something of millennial ingratitude in the new filial confrontation), just as the original scene’s impact was ignored in subsequent sequels.
>>
>>63789941
>Arnold
>>
>>63790005
>The new characters in The Force Awakens are banal. John Boyega’s black superhero, Finn, updates and restyles Han Solo’s jockish heroism — a cultural evolution that evokes Obama (“I was taken from a family I’ll never know”) for global commercialism. Boyega is appealing-enough to surpass the series’ previous racial tokens, Billy Dee Williams and Samuel L. Jackson, but he is subordinate to the new gallantry of Daisy Ridley’s Rey, who embodies the female empowerment denied to Princess (now General) Leia. Rey “leans in” when she grips the Skywalker light saber, so that feminists can rejoice at the Disney Corporation’s calculated political correctness (although Rey’s competence with weaponry contradicts liberals’ convenient attitudes toward gun control.)

>By now we all should know that there’s nothing of adult interest in Star Wars. Even when it premiered back in 1977, the sci-fi premise and comic-book characters were eclipsed artistically by the visionary spirituality of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Yet the continued prominence of Star Wars signifies something that is politically serious, if not dreadful: The great renaissance of American filmmaking during the 1970s and its regeneration of film culture (when movies were seen as a vital means of approaching and understanding contemporary experience) were doomed by Star Wars’ pseudo-imaginative, non-campy rehash of escapist junk. Now, the rebooted, politically empty The Force Awakens suggests a boot stuck in the rear of film culture’s flabby remains.
>>
So is everyone in this thread seriously too stupid to realize he's not even criticizing Star Wars for being commercial? He's criticizing idiots that are trying to use the commercialization of Star Wars as a knock on The Force Awakens, as if it didn't exist before Disney bought it. Jesus, this board is full of idiots.
>>
>>63790005
why is he so predictable? literally everything with him is about topical politics. he barely even talks about the art of the works of art that he critiques.
>>
>>63785383

What in God's name are you talking about? The prequels were 100 times worse. This movie actually underdid it IMO. Only one type of fighter each for resistance and first order. The only character you could say was superfluous was Phasma.
>>
>>63789941
Based.

You just know the nerds are flaming him for having an opposing opinion.
Funny considering they will hate on someone like Taylor Swift.
>>
>>63789953
He jokingly said it sucked then backtracked and said it was okay. Not as amazing as it could have been but not awful.
>>
>>63790094
Where I live we have a very similar critic.
Plebs really hate him for making parallels between Ice Age 2 and Iraqi war, but for me that's the thing that makes him stand out.
I guess that's why I love Amrand, even if I don't agree with him politically.
>>
File: 1441810678633.jpg (66 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1441810678633.jpg
66 KB, 600x800
>>63789941
>>63790005
>>63790030

Fucking brutal.
>>
>>63790155
>he made an exaggerated joke about the movie
>he then gave his real thoughts on the movie
Sooo...like every other Half in the Bag episode ever then.
>>
>>63790030
His point about Rey and gun control is amazing.
>>
>>63790205
Yeah.
Still backtracking.
>>
File: bdw.jpg (131 KB, 750x602) Image search: [Google]
bdw.jpg
131 KB, 750x602
>>63790205
>>
>>63790247
You're retarded.
>>
>>63790005
>It’s seldom realized that the movie brats’ films are essentially conservative

In what universe did that nigga grow up?
The 60s-70s lot were certainly leftist for their time,and in some cases even for ours.
>>
Mike criticize Into Darkness because J.J "referenced" too much what previous Star Trek did before.
Seeing how TFA is pretty much a ANH reboot, he might be a little annoyed
>>
>>63790329
Doubt it. He liked a lot of garbage this year.
>>
>>63790329
He may just interpret it as a passing of the torch from the old cast to the new, but that's a stupid way to interpret it.
>>
>>63790294
he's saying that Lucas, Coppola, De Palma etc. were pretty conservative for the time period. Which is true. Lucas, for example, made American Graffiti which might be the first cultural inkling of the boomers wanting a do-over of the 60s.
>>
>>63790417
He was ready to suck max landis's dick right there on set. Remember they have a movie coming out soon and will do literally everything to be part of the very same hollywood they are making fun of.
>>
File: Btf1XKzIQAA-_LY.jpg (34 KB, 600x364) Image search: [Google]
Btf1XKzIQAA-_LY.jpg
34 KB, 600x364
>>63790544
Uh, Jay tops Max
>>
>>63790544
Nah. I don't think they are going to tour SpaceCop around the festival circuit.
It might play some here and there, but I doubt they're aiming for a distributor.
It'll get the Feeding Frenzy treatment.
>>
>>63790329
There is no such thing as rehashing/referencing in Star Wars. Only poetry.
>>
>>63790329
Into Darkness didn't offer anything but references. Force Awakens at least gives us new characters and character drama.
>>
>>63790649
>character drama

Reddit please.
>>
>>63790544
Yeah they were really sucking his dick when they said Franenstein was mediocre and forgettable and followed Max's script pretty closely.
>>
>>63790649
>Admiral Marcus
refuted
>>
>>63785011
>B-B-BUT IT WAS FUN

God, I can see that already. Just churn that shit out.
>>
>>63790649
>new characters and character drama.

you mean like Annakin #2 and Tarkin #2 and R2D2 #2 and Han Solo getting Obi Wan'd and Luke having no lines?

I'm sure they'll try to complement the new cast but there's really no difference between Into Darkness and TFA in terms of integrity.
>>
>>63785699

he's defending it cause it's good, your in the minority, sith.
>>
>>63790649
>Force Awakens at least gives us new characters and character drama.
Only Finn is a new character, and they didn't even take risk with him either.
What I would have given to have a brave stormtrooper forced to cloborate with his enemies after being wrongfully accused of treason, and realising troughout his journey he was on the bad side.
But god forbid, Boyega is cheering on 5 minutes into the film when he kills da evil empire
>>
>>63790544

so? who cares,there a bunch of guys from fucking shitty cheesehead milwaukee who make free videos on youtube. if u look anymore into it then you're some kind of joke

-yooper
>>
>>63785011

So when will Plinkett review it? I need his opinion so I can know my own stance on it
>>
>>63785011
Actually there was a time, it was the brief time between New Hope and Empire.
>>
>>63790862

They won't make a Plinkett review before the DVD/Blu-Ray is released so they can use the scenes in the review.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.