[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good things: >Kylo Ren has more character development than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 354x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 354x309
Good things:
>Kylo Ren has more character development than any other villain. doesnt just exist to have a lightsaber duel like General Grievous, Darth Maul or Count Dooku.
>Snoke is actually spooky
>Captain Phasma isn't some "girl power" bullshit and is literally put in the trash
>Not too much fan service

Bad Things:
>Lightsabers require no training to use. A stormtrooper with no training can hold his own against someone trained by Luke
>Bizarre pacing. 20 minutes devoted to fighting squids and mercs while important things are hurried/cut
>Cringe inducing info dump where Leia straight up explains to her husband who their son is
>We have to blow up a big death sphere for the 3rd time
>I got to the theater late and had to sit in the front, so my neck hurts a little
>Too much goes unexplained. Star Killer BTFO's several planets. We don't know which planets they are or if they matter. Things like Ren's ancient lightsaber and Snoke can be mysteries for a later time, but things like which planet just got blown up are neccisary for the plot
>>
>Not too much fan service
famo the entire movie is fan service
>>
>>63783609
>I got to the theatre late and had to sit at the front so my neck hurt a little

I will always appreciate this subtle bait
>>
>>Bizarre pacing. 20 minutes devoted to fighting squids and mercs while important things are hurried/cut

It added some quick action and reintroduced the sly, charismatic, charmer that Han was/is. They needed to do that to develop his character to make his death more impactful

>>Too much goes unexplained. Star Killer BTFO's several planets. We don't know which planets they are or if they matter. Things like Ren's ancient lightsaber and Snoke can be mysteries for a later time, but things like which planet just got blown up are neccisary for the plot

We have at least two more movies following this plot line not too mention endless books/comics, video games, TV shows... Shit will get explained and the movie would have suffered like the prequels from too much explanation of inane bullshit.
>>
>>63783609
this is probably pretty fair. the 3rd act and some of the character developments, notably rey's, were super rushed. The death star shit was so inconsequential and well-trodden that there was basically no tension in that story line, it was just there to give the "real" plot points a setting and to give Poe something to look important.

The whole thing was transition/set up, it can't function on its own as a standalone movie. I think it did like an 8 or 9 out of 10 in context of avoiding the pitfalls of i-iii, transitioning from old generation to new, expanding the universe, and setting up 5 more hours of blockbuster movies in the saga

I doubt non-star wars fans who are adults would like it. Could see kids and existing fans being accepting to very pleased depending on expectations/tastes
>>
>>63783609
I'll take the bait.

Kylo had been shot.
>>
>>63783766
So charismatic and charming that both groups still wanted to kill him. They could have shown this in the bar or when they infiltrated the base.
>>
>>63783934
But they (Rey/Finn) needed to be introduced to the legend Han. The bar scene had too many other plot points and properly showing off Han 5 minutes before he dies would have been even worse.
>>
>>63783766
What planets were being blown up was information that was needed at the time, otherwise the scene doesn't work. Most of the audience thought it was Coruscant and the characters are talking about it like the Republic has been destroyed. Then it turns out that the planets were totally incosiquential and nobody in the movie cares.
>>
>>63783609
>Star Killer BTFO's several planets. We don't know which planets they are or if they matter.
Actually the bad guys say their target is the New Republic and we see them blow up some city planets, not a stretch to say it was the capital system of the Republic. But it was certainly underplayed, I mean you'd think destroying the fucking heart of the goverment would have enourmous implications. Nope, the good guys just carry on as normal.

The baddies say they're allies of the Republic government but apparently the government doesn't feel the need to communicate with them at all.
>>
>>63784202
By "they" I mean the Resistance, obviously.
>>
>>63784202
>you'd think destroying the fucking heart of the government would have enormous implications

This is a solid criticism, but you have to remember how fucking huge space is - it's not that unbelievable that there's multiple quite large and powerful 'governments' and completely obliterating one in an instant would probably not have that massive an immediate consequence. I mean it would take time for word to spread, especially if the new republic's home planet and probably most of their transport and communication abilities are destroyed.
>>
>>63784444
That's true, but then they should have made a point of it. Instead everyone is warp jumping around instantly.
>>
>>63784202
The First Order controls some of the galaxy, the Republic controls some of the galaxy and the rest of it is lawless. The resistance is in First Order space but supported by the Republic. There is a peace treaty between First Order and Republic. None of this is explained because they couldn't figure out how to do it without avoiding boring exposition like we had in the prequels.
>>
>>63783663
>don't know which planets they are or if they matter. Things like Ren's ancient lightsaber and Snoke can be mysteries for a later time, but things like which planet just got blown up are neccisary for the p

really wtf...it wasn't a movie just purre fanservice so the fanboys cold have some material to masturbate to.
>>
>>63784658
Yeah that's what I guessed, they're called the Resistance because they're trying to liberate First Order space. It's a clever way to keep the good guys as the underdogs, but means it's weird that the Republic apparently doesn't give two shits about the Resistance because we barely hear anything about the goverment.
>>
File: EMPERER SNOGE XDDDD.png (10 KB, 545x413) Image search: [Google]
EMPERER SNOGE XDDDD.png
10 KB, 545x413
>>63783609
>not too much fan service
>>
Bad things:

>Rey has less character development than Leia in ANH
>>
>>63783609

It ruins the entire original trilogy by retconning away the ending of return of the jedi. Also there are no original ideas because it is a complete rehash. Also Mary Sue characters with no depth.
>>
>>63784816
>Implying the original trilogy's ending wasn't already ruined by Ewoks
>>
>>63784658
So now that the first order 9/11x99 the fuck out of them is there going to be some full scale war like the prequels?
>>
>>63783823
>it can't function on its own as a standalone movie.

It's 2015, you should only expect to watch one third of a movie at any given release,
>>
>>63784738
I mean, running a section of a fallen galactic empire is probably busy work, they're probably stretched out really thin on the front lines but we can't expect to see whole Republic fleets cruising around in First Order territory.
>>
Ok ACTUAL bad things here

>too much comedy, sure, use it from time to time, but doing some retarded disney crap comedy scene every 5 minutes ruins the tension of a scene, specially when kylo found out rey was gone, at least they were somewhat decently done.
>the effects, they don't look star wars at all, mainly the explosions.
>the millenium falcon animation, way too much goofy movement
>ending shot wasn't a centered shot with several of the characters looking at a direction for a while, just some rotation shot shit which shows how abrams just tried to make it look like star wars, but not feel like it
>too much a new hope crap, after the middle of the movie it gets out of hand

GOOD STUFF

>Kylo ren is just a huge manchild with autistic outbursts, not just a pair of hands for a light saber, dude is legit messed up in the head
>the first 50ish minutes, poe and finn actually work really well as a duo and the movie starts in a different tone than a new hope, it's maybe at it's best here, exploring and expanding the world and characters but sadly that ends way too early, leaving us with half assed characters and the most interesting one, poe, out of the picture.
>>
>>63785357

It wasn't ruined by the Ewoks. At the end of the return of the jedi things are looking positive. This movie completely reverses that and it demonstrates that the original characters had horrible lives and it was all for nought.
>>
>>63783609
>>Lightsabers require no training to use. A stormtrooper with no training can hold his own against someone trained by Luke
Stop it with this meme already. Kylo was not fully trained, he was badly shot, and he was emotionally fucked up after killing his father. You need a clear mind to use the Force.
>>
>>63784095
>Most of the audience thought it was Coruscant
It wasn't?
>>
>>63784658
No, but somehow I understood the exact situation without exposition so they did SOMETHING right.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.