[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell? Do people actually like this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4
What the hell? Do people actually like this movie?
>>
>>63781369
Yes, not everybody is a jaded retard who went in wanting to hate everything so they could show how smart they are on the internet
>>
>>63781369
most people have shit taste
>>
>>63781409

Shit taste and paid reviewers to give it good scores :^)
>>
rotten tomatoes is just "bad" or "good", there is no inbetween

I don't think it was a perfect movie at all but it was good, so I'd have to give it a fresh rating on RT if I voted too
>>
>before release
>i-it's g-gonna b-be shit, i-it will have shit reviews

>after release
>r-r-reviews d-don't m-m-matter
>>
>>63781420
hell even Phantom Menace had good reviews when it came out.

let give it time to let people no longer feel the need to justify wasting 10 bucks.
>>
>>63781369
They are not people.
They are bloggers.
They can't afford to make Disney angry or to give a low score to a movie with a progressive agenda.
>>
Yes because Disney paid for good reviews.
>>
>>63781369
No, they think they need to like it because muh stronk wommyn and muh niggers in space.

The whole movie panders to the current geek generation in the net which is even on 4chan extremely strong.

Plus remember how favorably Phantom Menace was received back in the day?
>>
File: 1445398073494.jpg (260 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445398073494.jpg
260 KB, 1920x1080
>>63781381
I didn't do that. I genuinely wanted to like it. It was just soulless trash. Seemed like one giant circle jerk of the original movies with nothing novel to add. I am not trying to sound smart, I don't even have good taste in film desu, but this just seemed plainly bad.
>>
>>63781409
But not you, right? You are a patrician with godlike taste.
>>
>>63781460
Literally everyone said RT will go out of their way to give them a high score, no matter how shit it will be.
The bets where on the exact number.
>>
>>63781369
Yeah, some of us aren't contrarians.
>>
Damn, it's Rotten Tomatoes score is higher than Empire Strikes Back. WTF?
>>
>>63781516
This.
>>
>>63781460
they actually dont, the movie was god awful.
my theater had people falling asleep, checking phones and watches, yawning, and no cheers.
and it was a packed theater.
>>
>>63781558
>le contrarian meme

Literally the only answer you people have been posting the past few days to any criticism.
>>
>>63781582
How can it be God awful when it was 95% ANH?
>>
seriously what the fuck?

the actings was terrible.
story line is a mess.
main villain is some dumb emo kid.
main hero is some boring Marry Sue.
>>
>>63781580
You can't really compare films that way... Unless you think Toy Story 1 or 2 (both 100%) are better films than any of the Star Wars original trilogy.
>>
>>63781640
They objectively are.
>>
>>63781630
the actings was terrible.
story line is a mess.
main villain is some dumb emo kid.
main hero is some boring Marry Sue.

So exactly the same as A New Hope then?
>>
>fresh blood

I was told there was no hymen breaking in this
>>
>>63781610
What criticism? It's basically ANH 2.0.
>>
Either most people, including 90% of /tv/, don't know the first thing about films or Disney is putting a lot of money into marketing this crap.
Both are equally possible.
>>
>>63781580
8.9>>>>8.2, particularly when you adjust for inflation
>>
>>63781695
You haven't seen the movie, have you? You're just repeating dank /tv/ memes.
>>
>>63781381
I hate advertising on 4chan but I need disney's dollars: the post
>>
>>63781369
Anything passable they put out of the horrendous prequel trilogy will be praised to the high heavans. You could reskin Guardians of the Galaxy with a Star Wars theme and it'd be a better Star Wars movie than The Farce Awakens.
>>
>>63781369
4=5>7>6>1>3>2
>>
>>63781480
TPM was 50/50 when it came out, not 95/5.
>>
>>63781693
No, because Luke actually had character flaws, unlike Mary Rey Sue.
>>
>>63781369
>This movie
>The first girl that you ever meet likes you back and is secretly a turbo master level jedi without any training.
>But yeah nobody noticed because she was busy picking turds out of the desert
>IT'S ALWAYS A FUCKING DESERT
>ALL THOSE FUCKING CONVENIENT AS FUCK HAPPENINGS
JESUS FUCK I TRIED TO SUSPEND MY DISBELIEF BUT THE FUCKING 100 POINTS IN LUCK FORCE IS MAGIC COINKYDINK SHIT IS UNBEARABLE.
>>
>>63781735
Saw it last night. It's basically the same movie.
Rey = Luke
Poe = Han
BB8 = R2
Han = Ben
Kylo tries hard to be Vader
Jakku = Tatooine
Starkiller base = Death Star

It even ends with a kind of trench run.
>>
>>63781369
why not it has everything in it, ugly ectomoprh women as a main lead, an ape, and it is being made by a kike. what is not to like ?
>>
>>63781814
Switch 7 and 6.
For all the stupid shit, at least 6 had memorable moments, like when Luke snaps. It also had quiet moments.
TFA doesn't have anything nearly as memorable. After the first 20 minutes TFA doesn't have a single quiet moment in the film either.
>>
>>63781855
Like what? Luke was a chosen one from day 1. His impatience in ESB is his only real flaw and he gets over it much like Rey's fear of the Force.
>>
>>63781858
It wasn't a trench run, it was a swarm attack. They briefly went through a trench for cover, that's all.
>>
>>63781814
5>6>4=7>3>1>>>2

prove me wrong
>>
>>63781886
>TFA doesn't have a single quiet moment
That's fair.
>>
>>63781480
I spent $20 for IMAX 3D Kill me
>>
>>63781480
>hell even Phantom Menace had good reviews when it came out.

Consider suicide

Stop parroting this fucking awful meme

Based on reviews from 1999, The Phantom Menace has a 51 on Metacritic
>>
>>63781913
>3>1
>You're so... Beautiful
>only because I'm so in love
>no because I'm so in love with you
>>
>>63781887
>Doesn't want to leave tatooine
>Scared of the empire
>impatience is also seen in ANH (when Obi-wan starts training him with the practice droid)
>Is strictly a follower, doesn't know how to lead (develops this over time)
>sucks ass at aiming a blaster

Luke's positive traits are that he's a good pilot and that he thinks quick on his feet in ANH. that's all.
He's hardly a mary sue.
>>
>>63781855
What character flaws does Luke have in ANH?

He blows up a death star himself and kills Tarkin, and sends Vader flying off in the 1st film
>>
>>63781369
If you left your house, anon, you'd find out they indeed do. People are happy with the new SW and there is nothing you can do.
>>
>>63781975
>Doesn't want to leave tatooine

Kek, you didn't even watch ANH so I'm going to leave it there.

Go and rewatch the scene where he's begging his Uncle to leave, then goes and looks out at the sunset dreaming of being up there in the stars
>>
>>63781516
this
>>
>>63781947
i didnt know that tpm came out exactly on dec 31st 199 you fucking faggot.
do you not understand the importance of greasing reviews for the first week to get more tickets $$$$$.
the true score comes out weeks after.
welcome to movies by the way.
>>
>>63781858
Maz Kanata = Yoda Also Rey = Luke + Han Poe = That other guy you forgot to care about
>>
>>63782007
and then the scene where he decides he can't leave and it takes his adopted family FUCKING DYING to force him to do so. you're the one who didn't watch it.
>>
>>63781913
>4=7
How?
It's a copy of ANH but a worse version of it. Every scene they copied they did worse too.

I mean seriously, imagine A New Hope without any of the quiet moments like Ben and Luke talking, Luke reflecting on the recent events with the twin stars, the falcon on its way to destroyed alderaan, the falcon on its way to yavin iv, etc.
Then imagine the poor directing choices, such as how Poe flies in and flawlessly blows up death star 3 without any troubles, whereas the trench scene in ANH had a shit ton of build up, tons of death, a long foreboding countdown on both the Empire's end and Luke's end as he approached the end of the trench, and Vader getting stopped by Han right before he blasted Luke. That whole scene screamed tension, and the death planet star electric boogaloo 3 didn't have any of it.
>>
>>63781980
Whiny and annoying. He's upset about not being able to join the literal evil empire just so he can have instant satisfaction of piloting spacecraft.

He is also generally overwhelmed in a short period of time by the death of his entire (known) living family.
>>
>>63781582
Are you in America? Because that sounds like a heap of rude people.

There were not cheers, at least. If you're at a theatre, keep quiet and watch the fucking movie.
>>
actually read the reviews
it's bitter as hell
>>
>>63781886
6 also had the ewoks, incompetent stormtroopers and Han being useless. Han was great in TFA, the stormtroopers were competent for once and there wasn't any annoying child pandering in JJ's movie.
>>
>>63782053
He DOES want to leave though, but he can't because he needs to help Uncle Owen.

You were wrong, get over it
>>
>>63781369
People are dumb OP.
>>
>>63781369

Liking star wars is a meme
>>
>>63781516
Yeah, I love Star Wars, even the prequels, but I just felt exploited leaving the theatre. Fan service and needless death scene ahoy. I didn't feel any of the sense of wonder I felt when I watched the other movies. It just felt like a reason to sell Kylo Ren lightsabers and a Captain Phasma action figures.
>>
>>63782081
Yea, instead he pandered to mindless ADD faggots that can't handle a single fucking slow scene in a movie.
>>
>>63781369

Do people actually pretend its bad?
>>
File: 1450425854022.png (726 KB, 1053x523) Image search: [Google]
1450425854022.png
726 KB, 1053x523
O F F I C I A L R A N K
5 > 4 > 7 = 6 >1 > 3 > 2
O F F I C I A L R A N K
>>
People "liked" The Dark Knight Rises as well.
>>
>>63781369
>Surprised that movie hand-crafted to be as safe and inoffensive to the masses as possible, gets an up-vote from the masses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAM6FycAyqA
>>
>>63782117
It's not bad, but it's nowhere as good as the OT. Abrams clearly doesn't understand what made those movies special, so he just copies ANH hoping he won't mess up in the process, but misses out on crucial details such as pacing.

It will be remembered as the middle child. Not as bad as the prequels, not as good as the OT.
>>
>>63781887
>>63781980

Look, I disagree that Rey is a Mary Sue, because I think her control of the force will be explained later, but Luke was: immature, impatient and envious (of Han, mostly). He also was a bit rude due to these flaws. And we see him working and improving himself during the OT.

Rey is already a balanced character, but she had to grow up fast and learn to take care of herself since a young age. So her only flaw in this movie, was her unwillingness to move forward, which she succeeds in the end.
>>
>>63782190
But this is bad.
I want to see characters develop in my movies, not be pre developed.

Rey was written poorly in this movie.
>>
Yes because not everyone is a contrarian neckbeard that hates on everything popular for the sake of hating on it.
>>
>>63781381
>>63781460
>>63781517
>>63781558
>>63782000
>>63782117

Easy there Kylo.
>>
>>63782072
>America
Nah that must be Euro. Theaters in America will kill you if you even have your screen on during a movie with employees watching every few minutes. That or his theater is shit
>>
>>63781517
yeah thanks for noticing that
>>
>>63782216
Yes and no. She was established as a competent person from the get go, and her journey (so far) wasn't about self improvement but her relationship with others and her place in the world. That's also character development.

I think their mistake was making Finn too much of a comic relief, because it left Rey, Chewie, BB-8 and Han appear too much as pro. I liked his character, though, and he has potential to assume a more straight role once he overcome his insecurities.
>>
>>63782067
He's only whiny on Tatooine. He is a Mary Sue from the end of ANH until he meets Yoda.
>>
>>63782448
>her journey (so far) wasn't about self improvement but her relationship with others and her place in the world. That's also character development.

Very true.
>>
>>63782189
It's better than VI.
>>
>>63781369
Yes anon. Most people aren't autistic like you and your internet friends.
>>
File: cry.jpg (56 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
56 KB, 300x360
>lifelong star wars fan
>going to ugly christmas sweater party tonight
>already bought a star wars sweater
>everyone's going to talk to me about the movie
>they're going to ask me if I liked it/what I thought
>Going to have to pretend I loved it to fit in with normies otherwise they'll all call me a pretentious faggot contrarian who hates everything popular or whatever other bullshit people say when you don't circle-jerk over mass marketed crap

why is watching movies suffering?
>>
>>63782834
You are a pretentious faggot.
>>
>>63782854
See? Why are normies so terrible, bros?
>>
>>63782834
>life long star wars fan
>doesn't like mass marketed crap

So you enjoyed the other ones for the intellectual and artistic depth?
>>
>>63782834

You are a pretentious faggot.
>>
>>63781369
We're just pretending to like it to piss off the fans of the first trilogy. Fuck space operas.
>>
>>63781693
except A New Hope actually had good acting you fucking meme boy

there isn't a single unconvincing thing pulled off by the actors in V
>>
i think some people have perhaps moved past star wars and not realized it. star wars has never been an intense drama or a "heady" sci-fi movie. it has always been a soap opera(space opera!)/adventure movie, relatively light in its nature and easy to digest. that is how the original trilogy is at least.
>>
>>63782834
>being a cück

just be honest and say it sucked but it was still interesting to watch
>>
>>63781897
yeah, we get it.
>>
>>63781516

This.
>>
>>63782914
^
>>
>>63782103
>even the prequels
lol, kill yourself. your opinion on anything is invalid.
>>
>>63782834
>Star Wars is literally the grandfather of Mass Market appeal
>Movies literally created with lots of fucking cameos so they can sell figures and books for spinoffs of literal nobody characters who appear for 2 seconds in the film
>Actually thinking that Star Wars is some sort of niche nerdy fandom
AHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
>>
>>63781693
>>63783715

>Star Wars had good acting
Jesus fuck you fucking nostalgia goggled children need to take off your fucking rose tinted glasses.
ALL OF THE STAR WARS MOVIES HAD FUCKING HORRIBLE WOODEN AS FUCK ACTING
except for maybe Alec Guiness. THE FIRST TRILOGY WAS BASICALLY EFFECTS FLUFF WITH B-MOVIE ACTING.
STOP FUCKING KIDDING YOURSELVES
GEORGE LUCAS WAS ALWAYS A HACK
HIS IDEA OF COMIC RELIEF IS FART JOKES AND ONE LINERS.
Force awakens had terrible lines but at least the acting was more than passable.
>>
>>63782779
Literally kill yourself. You are under the age of 16 no question about it. Do you fall asleep in V when Luke gets to Dagobah? It's soooooo boring.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.