[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHAT A HORRIBLE DISAPPOINTMENT The tone and atmosphere was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
WHAT A HORRIBLE DISAPPOINTMENT

The tone and atmosphere was completely off. Disney's command of the movie becomes apparent very quickly with character interactions and action sequences. It's feels very much in the same vein as Disney's other cinematic universe. This is Disney action movie #143 with Star Wars iconography plastered across it.

The pace of the movie is seriously lacking in care and direction. There is no time to set any of the scenes or build to any set pieces. 4 different characters are trying to be established in the first half hour and because of this, the story never feels like it gets to settle down. And it never does. The movie desperately needed moments of calm and reflection.

The score is possibly the most disappointing aspect of the picture. At no point did it feel like it was used to its potential. Again, the generic soundtrack feels like another Disney trope.

Character development is non existent and we're treated to some of the worst examples of plot armour in recent memory. Rey is an unrealistic character even in a fantasy setting like Star Wars. Her invulnerability makes her far less engaging than she could be. Finn feels like wasted potential. His sole role as the comic relief contradicts his character in many ways and a lot of the time, JJ trades in any sense of tension for a quip from Finn. Ford and Fisher on screen together were distractingly bad. Kylo is very angsty and his obsession with Vader is like a metaphor for this movie.

There isn't a single iconic scene in TFA. At no point does the film feel like its building to a memorable, deliberate set piece. Han dying will be remembered only because it affects the following sequels.

(1/2)
>>
JJ shows that he's a company man in every way. Not a single risk in creativity was taken. The story was paint by numbers from beginning to end. Hiding behind Poetry to justify such a lazy reskin of ANH is bordering on insulting.

It being a kids' movie doesn't excuse it from criticism or scrutiny. Some of the best movies ever made have been aimed at children. A "kids' movie" is not a synonym for poorly made or lacking in ideas. Trying to appeal to children does not exempt it from missing any sense of foreboding or gravitas.

Excuses of it being a part of a series can only go so far. Good movies can exist within themselves as satisfying stand alone films as well as part of a bigger story.

(2/2)
>>
>>63780980

Im glad whiny faggots like you didnt enjoy the movie. Now off to Redditt with you
>>
>>63780980
It's literally ANH 2.0.
>>
>>63780980
Here ya go.
>>
Yeah, I knew this movie would be shit. Where's the free stream? I'm not paying for it.
>>
>>63780980

Everyone on /tv/ likes this meme movie didn't you get the memo
>>
its basically a marvel movie
>>
Name one scene from TFA that will be remembered as iconic.

protip:I really don't think you can
>>
>>63781031
it was garbage. Sarah Conner is a believable character on the hero journey. as is Ripley. Rey can into repairing and flying the falcon and can apparently out force use an active force user.
>>
>>63781172

Han solo gutted with a lightsaber by his own son.

your move faggot
>>
>>63781075
> I knew this movie would be shit
>because some guy on the internet said so

I'm saying the movie is good or bad, but you should make up your own mind.
>>
>>63781172
TRAITOR
>>
>>63781208
But that was poorly executed.
>>
>>63781245
Yeah, but I ain't paying for it.

Fuck jew jew.
>>
>>63780980
would you go so far as to say that it is a glib facsimile?
>>
>>63781208
not really...i was like mhe...
everybody knew he was going to die the moment he saw him on the bridge...
>>
>>63781245
>give Disney more money
>>
>>63781259
So was the Mustafar scene in RotS tbf
>>
>>63781323
nah
Ewan saved it
>>
>>63781031
Lol, reddit would defend a soulless copy pasting kids movie, you shit taste retard. Back to /v/eddit
>>
>>63781208
you dense stupid fuck! Han sliced open a dead camel kangaroo thing. how does that compare to Rey fighting an active force user? As shitty as Aotc was, believably, Ben and Anakin got their asses handed to them by Dooku. Not Tumblerina Princess power Plot armored Rey!
>>
File: 1450306457097.jpg (42 KB, 300x271) Image search: [Google]
1450306457097.jpg
42 KB, 300x271
>>63780980
>The score is possibly the most disappointing aspect of the picture. At no point did it feel like it was used to its potential. Again, the generic soundtrack feels like another Disney trope.

This is disappointing to hear. Music is one of the most important aspects of pretty much anything for me, movies or tv or video games. I don't understand what is meant by bad music being a Disney trope though. Are you implying that Pirates of the Caribbean had a bad score?
>>
>>63780980
>The tone and atmosphere was completely off

You know you can hate it all you want, but saying things like this that are objectively wrong just makes you sound like a retard.
>>
>>63780980
The score is possibly the most disappointing aspect of the picture
The soft piano music when we first meet Rey is one of my favorite parts of the score.
>>
>>63781412
not bad, but certainly not original, Zimmer is a hack.
>>
>>63781412
>Are you implying that Pirates of the Caribbean had a bad score?

Or Winter Soldier which had a great score as well.
>>
>>63781208
Of course reddit thinks that has the dramatic weight of anything from the OT. It was a cringey scene and could've been from any action movie. Your pleb brain is jsut forcing you to praise this movie because you always intended on liking it, regardless of how generic it was always destined to be, which the reviews confirm.
>>
>>63781031
did you use all your I-faggot products to type that?
>>
>>63781208
I guess it's subjective; I didn't think that scene was done well at all. Everyone could see it coming a mile away and I don't think Ford or Driver sold it very well.

It's maybe unfair, but compare that scene in its lack of atmosphere and apprehension with the first 30 seconds of this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY
>>
>>63781035
I almost face palmed at the beginning when the guy was like Okay droid I need you to take this vital information and escape with it because it holds secrets that the Empire is trying to get their hands on. Entirely ripped from the beginning of ANH. Even the spot where he puts the chip is IDENTICAL to where it goes inside R2-D2.
>>
>>63781555
>>63781515

Ford in general gave a poor performance, it was painfully clear that he didn't give a shit about anything going on and just showed up because he wanted Han Solo to die.
>>
>>63781416
That point was true though, all of it
>>
File: pol is right once again.jpg (57 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
pol is right once again.jpg
57 KB, 600x423
>>63781031
This movie is made for Reddit you utter faggot.

It's trash and no amount of shilling or Rotten Tomatoes ratings will change that.
>>
So does the movie just pander to nostalgia, bringing in old characters and references while still maintaining the same story as A New Hope?
>>
>>63780980

You are objectively wrong in almost all of your points, but you are entitled to your opinion
>>
>>63781208
This scene was shit as fuck.
>Ford not even trying, just going Kingdom of Crystal Skull
>Awkward, cringy dialogue
>Reactions of other characters as if they were on drugs or didn't care at all
>>
>>63781323
The Mustafar scene has the high ground though.
>>
>>63781626
Yes.
>>
>>63781620
being part of an evil organization is what brings all whites together, apparently
>>
>>63781515
>Your pleb brain is jsut forcing you to praise this movie because you always intended on liking it

And your pleb brain is forcing you to shit on the movie because you always intended on hating it.

Disliking something doesn't make you somehow smarter than people who like it. Just a tip for you growing up kid
>>
>>63781651
>Reactions of other characters as if they were on drugs

Yeah I don't know what the fuck is up with Daisy Ridley. It's like she's trying so hard to show "emotion", but it just comes off looking totally bizarre and disjointed.
>>
>>63781651
ford is just to old now, I seen other old actors with more heart still but Ford should have retired before doing this.
>>
>>63781416
It wasn't entirely off, at times the film couldn't decide if it was JJ's Star Wars or JJ's Star Trek. This came from things like dialogue to the scene where the Republic is hit and everyone is dressed like in Into Darkness.
>>
Everybody has the same reaction for every major film now. You faggots are all so predictable now. This "it's cool to hate everything meme" needs to stay the fuck in 2015 where it belongs.
>>
Star Wars was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.
>>
>>63781259
r u 'avin a laugh, mate?
>>
>>63781756
I thought this board was for film school critic types and not dick loving cock suckers.
>>
>>63781031
this
>>
>>63781756
Are you retarded? It's because the quality of blockbuster filmmaking has gone wayyyy down since 2005-ish.
>>
>>63781801
We get it. Everything sucks.
>>
>>63781756
>This "it's cool to hate everything meme" needs to stay the fuck in 2015 where it belongs.

It's here for good. The board is just full of retards who migrated here and don't understand what the "counter culture" on 4chan was about.

So now they just say the opposite of Reddit or the mainstream
>>
>>63781848
Literally nobody here discusses movies anymore
>>
>>63781848
Do you honestly believe there aren't a lot of genuine criticisms for TFA?
>>
>>63781827
Fuck you. You can't tell me that

Terminator vs. Terminator Genysis
E.T. vs. Super 8
Star Trek: TMP vs. Into Darkness
Predator vs. Predators
Alien vs. AVP:R

Doesn't show a pattern.
>>
>>63781900
No
>>
>>63781888
trips confirm it.
>>
>>63781911
You disliking those movies doesn't make them bad
>>
>>63781900
Of course there is, but when the criticism almost instantly becomes "IT'S TOTAL FUCKING SHIT, IF YOU LIKE THIS YOU ARE REDDIT" then it's hard to take it seriously
>>
>>63781900
The issue is that the the genuine criticisms are blown out of proportion, at worst it's a 5/10 or 6/10 movie yet people are treating like some bottom of the bargain bin type garbage just to be contrarian to the fan boys who love anything Star Wars
>>
>>63781504
I have a passionate distain for WS
>>
>>63781945
suck a shotgun fæm
>>
Accurate description.
The prequels were better kids movies than this.
>>
>>63781964
Nice rebuttal that's what I figured you say
>>
>>63781416
There is a serious lack of dread and trepidation in TFA. Ep4 and 5 weren't like that. Everything feels very quip-y and light hearted here. There is a middle ground between Marvel sarcasm and tiring grimdark shit. JJ and Disney (surprise) lean too far to the former.
>>
>I watched all plinkett reviews! I'm an expert on star wars now!

i was 15 once too
>>
>>63780980
>>63781000
HE SAYS WHAT WERE ALL THINKING

you formulate into sentences what i cant possibly even begin to. I intend to use this to support my argument of why TFA is a piece of literal shit. thank you based anon
>>
>>63781954
people like that need to be beaten down because of their blinded love. ;)
>>
>>63781966
Retards like this is why I go to Reddit for actual discussions
>>
>>63781983
What am i supposed to say when you cant distinguish between well and poorly made movies?
>>
>>63781986
>There is a serious lack of dread and trepidation in TFA

You mean like when Kylo and the Storm Troopers come down and murder an entire village in cold blood? Or when they blow another village up with air strikes? Or when they invade that place Han/Rey/Finn are and destroy that too?
>>
>>63781636
Thanks f.a.m

What made the movie good in your opinon?
>>
>>63781721

He didn't want anything to do with star wars anymore. I'm sure he got a nice paycheck to show up and kill his character off.
>>
File: 1450074009169.png (178 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1450074009169.png
178 KB, 330x319
>>63782002
>thinking anyone wants to be an expert on star wars
>>
>>63782047
Exactly. The tone was off.
>>
>>63782010
>I go to Reddit
Nobody is surprised.
>>
>>63782047
Felt utterly predictable and impactless.
>>
To those that liked it, can you explain why?

I must have asked in like 10 threads now and never get a reply.
>>
>>63782047
Or when you actually see an entire planet get fucking nuked from the perspective of the civillians?

i swear, some people went into the theatre, decided they wouldn't like the movie, played with their phones for 2 hours and went home and start sputing shit on the internet.
>>
>>63781756
I wish it did something different. Not every story has to end with the Mary Sue winning. Especially not one that has confirmed sequels already.
>>
>>63781986

Agreed, I just kept feeling like this wasn't a Star Wars movie. Every other scene they feel the need to insert a marvel like joke and while they are funny, they completely kill any serious mood that might be attempted.

For instance when Kylo is tearing apart the consoles with his lightsaber. The stormtroopers observe what is happening and pull a casual 180 and slide out of the picture.

I love this shit in the recent marvel movies, but in Star Wars it just feels like they are throwing the tone out the window for some cheap laughs.
>>
>>63782106
Nobody won though. The lightsaber duel ended in a draw. The resistance had a great victory when they destroyed death star 3, but the war seemed far from over.
>>
>>63782105
>Or when you actually see an entire planet get fucking nuked from the perspective of the civillians?

this was a good scene, had more weight than the destruction of Alderaan. I still didn't like the movie.
>>
>>63782099
I like it because you don't
>>
>>63781921
Wow.
>>
>>63782099
Because I get payed to.
>>
>>63782105

The problem isn't that the movie isn't dark or serious enough, it is that the tone is all over the place. From planets getting destroyed to Finn shouting funny one liners at Phasma, from a village being massacred to Poe asking the Sith lord who should speak first.

Pick one or the other and stick to it. You don't see the main characters in 4-6 spouting this type of dialogue so often with the exception of Han in a few scenes where it actually works.
>>
>>63782099
BECAUSE REY IS A STRONG INDEPENDENT SPACE WOMAN WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN.
If you don't like her you're sexist. IT'S 2015 PEOPLE, COME ON, SHE IS THE GREATEST STAR WARS CHARACTER EVER YOU SEXIST PIGS
>>
Did anyone else notice that this movie is the same story as New Hope, only with more characters and a way bigger budget? Not to mention the multiple times deus ex machina saved the main characters or moved the plot?
>>
>>63780980
This isn't anything new.

RotJ felt like a Marquand movie. TESB DEFINITELY felt like a Kershner film.

So of course TFA felt like an Abrams film.
>>
>>63782099
BECUZ your mom gave me handy during the bridge scene m8
>>
>>63782237
Thanks for contributing to the discussion retard
>>
>>63782047
Dread for characters we actually know Anon. No one gives a shit about Dexster Jetster's brother on whogivesashit planet.
>>
>>63782177
>The lightsaber duel ended in a draw
Lmao
>>
>>63780980
DUDE EVERYTHING SUCKS LMAOO
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 640x427
>it's another thread where anons claim the movie is good but can't explain why

Top kek
>>
>>63782355
>present legitimate criticism
>"you just think everything sucks, why don't you just shut up and eat shit like the rest of us?"
>>
>>63782099
I watched it and I thought it was okay.

After having just marathoned the other films again in preparation for TFA I was mostly just disappointed in two major things.

Death star 3.0
- oh wow so interesting, I bet we have to disable the shields first too

And

Plot armor whore.

The whole shit with Han and his son everyone could see coming from miles away, so when it happened I felt nothing. Ren needs a fucking haircut is all I could think about.

The more I think about the film the more it feels like a marvel movie. And it's okay, because it's much better than the prequels. And it had some good moments. I liked the resistance showing up after the bar gets attacked. Nice to see a good pilot that is actually a good pilot.
>>
>>63782270
It's more like an anime series that gets a movie and the movie is a condensed version of the entire series. Like Macross the series compared to the movie of Macross. TFA is a playdoh mix of the OT
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 500x500
>>63782393
>It's another thread where anons shit on movies to look cool
>>
>>63782270

No joke, this movie felt like one big reference. Is it too much to ask for an original plot?

We have done the deaths stars, the mysterious sith master+ masked apprentice, the teaming up with a smuggler to make it to the rebellion, the rebellion vs empire.

This just feels so uninspired.
>>
>>63782259
The OT wasn't that much different though. Han solo spouting one-liners in basically anything he said, c-3po never shutting the fuck up, chewie being a drama qeen, Eweoks.

Just look at the ewoks ffs.

Stupid little bears only in the movie so you can sell more shit to kids, doing stupid shit the entire time, and then you get a scenen where one of them dies and another one is crying above his corpse.
>>
>>63782401
Give me one example of legit criticism, autismo
>>
>>63782352
Muh special ops I'm classified too.
>>
>>63782428
Exactly! I felt like the only one who noticed it. I liked it, I had fun, but I don't understand how people didn't notice how it it referenced the older movies. It's like Disney was afraid to try anything new.
>>
>>63782428
Basically this.

I felt as if I didn't see anything new. Like I was watching the same film again, with a new coat of paint. Only somehow less memorable scenes. I guess firing the cannon was the most memorable part.
>>
>>63781208

That just reminded me of something I've thought about since the phantom menace.

Judging from how quickly Qui Gons lightsaber slagged that blast door, being ran through by a lightsaber would vaporise most of the liquids in your body and flash cook your torso.

Han Solo being run through and having a steam explosion of blood and viscera erupt out of him would be extremely memorable.
>>
>>63781031
I think you belong there, anon

movie was objectively shit
>>
File: 1436227027037.jpg (22 KB, 253x247) Image search: [Google]
1436227027037.jpg
22 KB, 253x247
>>63782047
>Bad people doing bad things
>doing bad things to people we have no investment in, either due to lack of introduction, or lack of development
>This is considered "Tense" and "dread" in 2015

The gas station scene in "No country for old men" had far greater aura of dread than any scene in TFA
>>
>>63782401
>legitimate criticism
´´its bad because i say so!``

Or

>´´this,this and this are bad!``

why it is bad?

>b-b-back to reddit!

shit is getting boring already
>>
>>63782501
>steam explosion of blood and viscera

we cant show that anon, think of the kids!
>>
>>63782438
that was the only thing left to do, they already had human being bad ass, so now it was cute little bears that are cold blooded killer tribe.
>>
>>63782514
>YEAH! IT SUCKS! HAW HAW I HATE EVERYTHING!

There's no way any of you are over 15
>>
>>63782438

I agree with you to an extent. I feel Hans lines actually fit his character and the situation he was in. Not watching a village get slaughtered and then get smart with the big bad.

I don't like C3P0 either but his lines can be justified by the bumbling idiot droid saying whereas every time I see Finn or Rey say this shit I wonder how they thought it was a good idea.

And yes the Ewoks made episode 6 an abortion to watch, if it wasn't for the emperor scenes that movie would be irredeemable.

Add in JarJar and all the other retarded slap stick characters and it isn't all that different, but I feel JJ took all the jarring quotes from the secondary characters and now placed them on the most important characters in the movie.
>>
>>63781172
I'll finish what you start
>>
>>63782424
Thanks for proving the point Anon.

Can you please tell us all why the movie was good in your opinion?
>>
>>63782417

Yeah. The comparisons to ANH are more abundant, but it feels more of an amalgamation of the OT than a straight rip of ANH. Perhaps, to be naively optimistic, TFA is just a way to get most of the nostalgia out of the way so VIII and IX can forge their own path. Pander to the old to build up hype and turn it into a massive movie that sucks everyone in then do your own thing for the next two.

But we'll probably just end up with ESB 2: Electric boogaloo
>>
File: 1414270782912.jpg (125 KB, 634x887) Image search: [Google]
1414270782912.jpg
125 KB, 634x887
>>63782537
>This is why it's bad
>HAUHGUHAG, YO..YOU JUST WANNA BE AN EDGY FAGGOT
>Please clarify why it's good
>Because PEOPLE LIKE IT STOP BEING EDGY

I can play that game too faget :^)
>>
>>63782501
but it was junk saber
>>
>>63782580
Tell me why the movie was so bad
>>
Is it explained in the movie how Anakin's lightsaber was recovered from falling into a gas giant?
>>
>>63782582
Ok?
>>
>>63782538

Can you imagine the collective wailing and shrieking though?
>>
>>63782601
A movie is not good by default.
>>
>>63782438
No one is defending Return of the Jedi. George went full cash grab.

This point is subjective but, the reason Han gets away with quips in Ep4 is because it suits his character and Ford was charismatic as fuck. And even then, the number of jokes in Ep4 and 5 don't compare to TFA.

Kylo Ren had just began massacring a village when Poe starting making jokes at his expense.
>>
File: Tiles_05_UV_M_CM_1.jpg (41 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Tiles_05_UV_M_CM_1.jpg
41 KB, 512x512
>>63782548

I'm not even a star wars fanboi, but I didnt like the movie because it was tensionless and pandered too much to the fanbase. The destruction of the new death star looked like something straight out of a shitty fanfic. The mary sue-ness of Rey didnt help it also. The acting was stilted and wooden.

So anyone that has critism of the move must be underage? or is it the opposite, where we have actual taste and real expectations besides some masturbatory fanfic disney movie?

>being autismo

>defending a bad movie just because you're a fangay
>>
>>63782047
Had no weight at all. That's like saying Arnold storming the manor in Commando went under your skin.
>>
>>63782408
>Doesn't answer the question
>Instead explains what he didn't like
Thought so.
>>
>>63782581
the next one is definitely going to rip off empire more and going to end with the down note there is doubt about it. Ray and Luke shit going to be Luke is Yoda and training Ray to be a jedi knight.
>>
>>63782711
I felt like that said a lot about Poe's character though.

"Damn, that guy just slaughtered an entire village, but Poes dosn't give a SHIT!"
>>
>>63782601
My reasons are in the OP.
>>
>>63780980
I agree OP, I was waiting for more.
It was ok, but... I dont know, I was so hyped.
I actually shed a tear smiling when the score came in.
And then the movie happened, the characters interactions were kinda off and too many times I found myself questionning characters motives, actions or dialogues.
It was too safe, and felt even less mature than J.J's Star Trek
>>
>>63782744
Oh sorry let me direct you to the end of my post where I specifically mentioned a scene and character I liked.
>>
>>63782781

I would totally give you that too. However then the other characters started doing it and I lost faith.
>>
>>63780980
There needs to be more emphasis on the comic relief when criticizing the movie. Sure it might make a laugh at least once but it makes the plot not taken as seriously. There's too much of it and too many big budget blockbusters are doing this.
>>
Ren was wasted
Finding out he was Luke's nephew 5 minutes into the film wasted what could have been a cool reveal before killing Han.

Having Ren kind of flounder his way around the film, firstly by having Po throw banter at him, and then having him get clowned by the girl. At no point did it feel like there was a 'big bad' that was menacing.
>>
>>63782806
I already ended the discussion, you're talking to yourself now, but maybe that's your thing, because you're autistic? I don't know and quite frankly I don't care. Maybe you'll get the point eventually in a few years time, for autistic people it takes time I understand to get the point and bear in mind you're one of the lucky ones, some autists never actually get the point, which may be your case, I hope not, because I really want from you to get the point, but I doubt you will, because your autism is severe by the looks of it
>>
>>63782408

So what you're saying is

5 > 4 > 6 > 7 >>>>POWER GAP >>>> 1 > 3 > 2

As expected?
>>
The best part of the movie: Watching Ford "I only accepted this role so I could kill off my character and be done with that shit" and Fischer "I'm being a good mom, I'm doing the movie so my duahgter can be in a SW movie" not giving a fuck.
>>
>babby's first contrarion rant

Everything you said applies to all the movies kid.
>>
>>63782781

it was too quippy for the context though
It felt like dialogue out of a Whedon (particularly Buffy) script.

Also, why the fuck would Leia send her best pilot to fetch the map? It seems like something you'd send a spy or whatever to get...
>>
>>63782876
You look pretty stupid.
>>
>>63782898
I'm not sure if I agree on the ordering of the prequels. But yes, that kind of feeling.
>>
>>63782532

Stop comparing TFA to an actual film.

How dare you! You know it can't stand up to that kind of comparison
>>
File: tom.jpg (71 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
71 KB, 600x400
Went to see the premier on wednesday with some pals. Half the theatre dressed up you could mistake the setting for a cosplay convension.

As soon as the intro rolls people start screaming and clapping their hands frantically. When the millenium falcon was introduced the crowd went even wilder "WOO HELL YEAH!". It was cringy as fuck, as the movie progressed thankfully the hype died down and when the credits rolled all I could here were some slow claps.

>mfw I wasn't that much of an aspie that I could enjoy the movie for what it was.
>>
>>63782099
I really liked it. Not a shill.

Pros:
Cinematography was solid.
Acting was decent.
Attention to detail was great (the shape of the hallways, the backgrounds, the computer visuals all match ANH impeccably)
Music was good. Not enough original work, but the old themes were used well.
Pacing was good - had the right combination of action
Stakes were raised with a multi-planet deathstar

Cons:
Predictable, especially Han's death
R2 did not get a chance to save the day
Daddy issues all around (Abrams trademark)
Leia's voice, I pictured her Family Guy character the entire time
SJW shit
Lupita Nyongo CGI character, why not just have her be there as a human?
>>
>>63782548
Good goy, keep shilling for your jewish overlords who produced this soulles piece of shit, you're such a delusional cuckold.
>>
>>63782946
Not him but

>gets btfo'd
>y-you look pretty stupid!

Wew
>>
>>63782582
>That pic

Ugh, I can't dissociate Adam Driver from that hag. I have PTSD when I see him on the screen now
>>
>>63781208
I liked that scene when it was Ben Kenobi.
>>
>>63780980
completly agree
>>
File: 1325796789001.png (1022 B, 144x192) Image search: [Google]
1325796789001.png
1022 B, 144x192
>Character development is non existent

Did we even watch the same movie? Rey learned that she has the potential to become a jedi and decided to stop waiting for a family that would never return for her, Kylo Ren left his doubts of the dark side behind him by killing his father, Finn found the courage to fight his fears instead of trying to get away.
>>
>>63782898

While the dialogue in 7 is far ahead of the prequels I would rather watch 1-3 than watch 7 again. For me 7 was just so middle of the road mediocre where as 1-3 have some laughably bad parts and some very gripping moments.
>>
>>63783017
How is that a BTFO?
I wasnt the same guy either, one guy asked a question and the other starts an autistic tant about why is he talking alone. That's stupid.
>>
File: 1327642875688.jpg (183 KB, 465x428) Image search: [Google]
1327642875688.jpg
183 KB, 465x428
>>63781208
I almost thought I saw a smile on Harrison's pruned up face. He literally agreed to be in that film just so he could get released from the pop culture icon's shackles. I can see how the casting went down.

>"Han please, this trilogy wouldn't be the same without you."
>"Okay, but for this price tag, & for me to die at the end of the first movie. Also a premier ticket for my life partner, Roman Polanski please."
>>
>>63783017
>>63782709
>>
>>63781626

Rebbit will justify it as a "neat reboot"
>>
File: 1442034925028.gif (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1442034925028.gif
2 MB, 1280x720
>>63783017
>Not him but
>>
>>63781412
there was no bass in any of the music. it was like they just tossed some Apple Loops into a logic session and said fuck it
>>
>>63782969
I have a hard time rating the prequels, even in relation to each other because I was so disinterested in them. I literally waited 2 years after Ep. 3 came out to see it because I was so disillusioned by Ep 1 & 2.

Out of curiosity, what is your ranking then?

3 > 1?

IMO, 3 just tried way too fucking hard to be "dark"
>>
The worst thing about the movie was Capitan Phasma. If it was not for merchandise I would never ever remember that such character appeared on the screen. Nice character exposure there.
>>
The movie would have been better if we never see snoke

Phasma was pointless. Every one of hey appearances was for a punchline to a joke

The final helicopter shot was horrible and actually ruined the ending

Finn fought way too well against Kylo

The destruction of those planets was way too underplayed. No one seemed to care. what planets even were they? Was that Corrascant?

Who was the old man at the start? He seemed important. Was he there to give the map to Rey? Why did Luke train Kylo/Ben and not Rey? Why did Han name his son seemingly after Obi Wan?

Why did R2 wake up all a sudden and fix all the plots problems?
>>
>>63781000
>JJ shows that he's a company man in every way. Not a single risk in creativity was taken.

No shit Disney knew exactly what they wanted and told him to work within what they wanted. To cater to Nostalgia and the first movies as hard as you fucking can with no risks or new directions because thats what the prequels tried and failed just play it fucking safe.

Hopefully the spin offs and other episodes will do something different but if you expected this to be a big risk taking movie your an idiot.
>>
>>63783059
I do enjoy watching movies that are so bad that they are good.

But that is surprising to hear. I can't say I was emotionally invested in the prequels at all. Character motivation really threw me off and made me say "ok, I guess they are going to do that now...for...reason"
>>
>>63783174
I haven't decided whether I like 2 or 3 more, but in my opinion 1 was the absolute worst.
>>
>>63783204

Yeah its not like Empire has an extremley similar character who has a cool design that was kept alive by toys and fans going omg they look cool.
>>
>>63782781
I'd agree with you if the quips stopped with Poe. But then every character became a vehicle for jokes.

I had no idea why they decided to do that when they had natural comedic relief from BB-8 and Chewbacca.
>>
File: 1404424700689.jpg (47 KB, 560x422) Image search: [Google]
1404424700689.jpg
47 KB, 560x422
>>63780980
I mean what the fuck did you guys expected?!
As soon as the names "Disney" & "JJ Abrams" came up, you had NO RIGHT what so ever to have any sort of artistic expectation or hopes. fuck off or go and watch better films
>>
If finn was sanitations, why was he on the village massacre mission?
>>
>>63780980
Sounds like you didnt see the movie next to a pretty girl with whom you later had dinner and passionate sex.

WHAT A FUCKING LOSER.
>>
>>63781208
>Stormtroopers just standing around
>only Chewie notices Finn and Rey walking in, none of the Stormtroopers do
>no fighting between TIEs and X-Wings going on outside

Other than those nitpicks, yeah, it was a really well done scene. Solo getting tossed aside after being gutted was great.

Unfortunately, it was like the only well done scene of the film.
>>
File: mediocre.png (132 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mediocre.png
132 KB, 300x300
>>63780980
People wanted the movies to be more like the first trilogy, welp, now it is more like the first trilogy, so wha'ts the fucking problem now? That you want it to be different? Episodes I-III was diffierent in so many aspects and people complained during decades because wasn't the same thing now we have the same thing and...there are complains its the same things?
>>
>>63783416
disposing of the vermin
>>
>>63783405
why the damage control the tickets are already sold? not mine though you won't get my money.
>>
>>63782876
Nice ad hominem Anon.

You sure showed me.
>>
Crossover with the Marvel movie universe when?

>>63783440
Joe, take off the mask when you speak. I don't understand a word of your post.
>>
>>63783440
People wanted it to be AS GOOD as the original trilogy, not an exact fucking copy.
>>
>>63781172
Rey's vision
>>
>>63782501

Ford totally would have been up for that too.

The collective manchild anguish would give him his first boner in years and actually make him appreciate not dying in that plane crash.
>>
Why did they go to that place with the bar? And why did Lukes sabre happen to be there? I feel like i missed some important plot point
>>
>>63780980
It reminds me of Enders Game of GoTG

I'm watching new hope right now.

This franchise is now so devalued and cheaped even more than the prequels.
>>
File: vlcsnap-6011393.png (507 KB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-6011393.png
507 KB, 1280x528
How mad are SWfags going to get by 2019 when they realize the new trilogy is literally OT rehashed?
>tfw Disney kiked you all with a literal reboot disguised as new sequels, topped off with sjw faggotry
>>
>>63783483
>The lightsaber chooses the wizard, harRey
>>
>>63783013
I thought the pacing and the music was terrible.
>>
>>63782099
Things happens, characters go from one place to another shooting things getting out of danger, dealing with daddy issues, you know, adventure. Don't you like adventure?
>>
21 no the IMDb top 250 m8

normies eat this shit up like mayo
>>
>>63781795
Film school critics are massive faggots.
>Source: went to film school
>>
>>63783440

the problem with the prequels wasn't that they were different

its that they were poorly written, incoherent, poorly acted and poorly directed shitfests so heavily reliant on CGI that they look like garbage compared to the original trilogy which predate them by some 20 years or so
>>
>>63781756
Oddly enough, I enjoy most capeshit. I don't think they're great, but they're still entertaining.

I didn't really enjoy Star Wars so much.
>>
>>63783440
The problem with the prequels was they were just bad, not different
>>
>>63783478
we got troll'd.

we got troll'd. like bitches.

pepe with gun.jpg
>>
>>63783478
It never can be as good as the first one because it can never be as revolutionary as the first one, the first one was good as an icon, as a movie was average
>>
>>63783467
It the exact opposite of damage control tho
>>
>Poe is on one of those interrogation table things with restraining bolts
>Darth r9k comes over to him
>"Sorry, do you talk first or should I?"
Epik, simply epik. I know why my good friends at Reddit like this. It has some zany humour
>>
>>63783509
they can't break what's already broken, onii-family. I've long given up Star Wars after the prequels to where I just hate it entirely.
>>
>>63783488
you didn't. it was to hark back to the famous bar scene in ANH. you're just asking rhetorical questions though
>>
>>63781035
>former stormtrooper as a main character
>stealing a junk ship
>refusing to get the lightsaber
>two main characters fighting the villain in a lightsaber duel without knowing shit about how to wield one
>two main characters dying
>searching for the old wise guy but only finding him in the end, he didn't say shit
>starkiller base was wiped out because some guys went on foot to open a breach in the security and blowing it like mad before fighters attacked

We sure didn't watch the same movie yesterday
>>
>>63781945
Genysis, Super 8, STID, Predators, AVP:R are all terrible.
>>
>>63783262
>The final helicopter shot was horrible and actually ruined the ending
This Jesus Christ.
>>
Why is kylo obsessed with vader? He died before kylo was born
>>
>>63783778
He was the chosen one!
>>
>>63783778
my understanding is that he's a Jedi weeaboo.
>>
>>63783778
the same reason why /pol/ is obsessed with Trump
>>
It was a good safe film.

No shit they didn't try anything different. With so many new characters, they had to ease the transition. Would have liked to see /tv/'s reaction when TPM came out, it would have been deemed a lot worse, just because they took a different direction, Jar Jar aside.

When you are locked in for a trilogy you are going to see the progression and development come later. TFA was simply to win over the OT fans again, whilst transitioning on to the new generation. You can lock in the next 2 to be classics.

Also, can we ban every cocksock that uses the term reddit? Although to be fair, I wouldn't be able to pick out the hardcore autists from the rest of you bergs.
>>
Why is Rey a master of everything? She's a better pilot than trained professional pilots. She's a better engineer than actual engineers. She's a better jedi than trained jedis.
>>
>>63781911
>>63783705
Super 8 introduced me to Elle Fanning and I want to fuck her. It's better than ET for that reason alone.
>>
File: 1448490965375.jpg (5 KB, 252x150) Image search: [Google]
1448490965375.jpg
5 KB, 252x150
Solid casting, new memorable characters, the villain has really nice development. Shame the movie rely too much on A New Hope, at the point of carbon copying some of it's plotpoints.

Not a masterpiece, but a really ok blockbuster.

What did you expected? Star Wars movies were always silly sci-fi adventure movies.
>>
>>63783901
Because she's the dragonborn.
>>
What the fuck was that final scene?

>It's kinda weird that there's a map to Luke but I suppose they've got to get Rey to him somehow. Oh, she's got the Falcon now *and* she's the new Jedi; I suppose that could be ok. Oh it's daytime. Broad daylight. That's a strange choice, it doesn't add much of an atmosphere or mood to the scene. There's structures at the top of the hill, hmm, maybe Luke will be inside. Maybe Rey will climb to the top and see a dim light flickering inside. Maybe she'll go inside into the structure and find Luke sitting solemnly in a chamber. Oh Luke's just standing on the hill. This stare off is kinda weird. This helicopter shot is really distracting. It doesn't really suit this scene or Star Wars at all to be honest. Oh it's finished.
>>
>>63783262
>Why did R2 wake up all a sudden and fix all the plots problems?
thats literally been his role in 1-6
>>
>>63783913
A New Hope and Empire were far better than TFA.

They were more than just hectic action movies too. There's a correlation there.
>>
You really didn't need Han, Leia or Luke in this movie.
>>
>>63783647

Seems like a fair question to me. I kept asking myself where the plot was trying to go as it just seemed to be a vehicle to jump between as many planets as possible and not to tell a story.
>>
>ITT White ladyboys upset that their safespace has been infiltrated
>>
>>63784074

Or Snoke
Or Phasma
Or that psychic alien midget
Or General Cux
>>
>>63783440
Not a single person asked for a direct copy and paste.
>>
>>63783901
She's the token mary sue with plot armor. That's why Kylo couldn't just dominate her like Anakin was dominated by Dooku, or Luke was dominated by Vader. Unfortunately it just makes her an incredibly bland, boring and forgettable protagonist because girl power is more important than character development.
>>
>>63783440
>A sequel can only be completely different or a carbon copy

Get fucked.
>>
>Here, have all this character payoff without any build up

Ok.
>>
what bothered me more than this being a copy pasta of ANH was the fact that the plot kept moving forward thanks to lucky coincidences. Instead of the Force Awakens it should have being called A Series of Fortunate Events. What a shoddily written flick.
>>
>>63783897
>You can lock in the next 2 to be classics

I'd like to think so but I doubt it. Rian Johnson being there doesn't mean he gets creative control from Disney.
>>
>>63783427
Boy, Big Bang Theory certainty changed the rules on everything.

Pre-BBT
>He watches Star Wars! What a geek!

Post-BBT
>Check it out! I'm such a nerd! Got my limited edition Kylo Ren Lightsaberâ„¢! Just binged watched the whole trilogy for the first time on Netflix in prep for the premier! Got my 3D tickets and Ray 3D glasses. Dude, I'm such a geek! Han shot first y'all! I saw that Robot Chicken special too!
>>
>>63783897
Just like a faggot from reddit to like like a SAFE movie just like their SAFE space.
>>
someone post the plot comparison image between A New Hope and TFA
>>
What of we actually got time travel in VIII?
>>
File: 1450394874792.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450394874792.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63784372
>>
>>63784434
thanks lad
>>
Would it have been too much to ask that Rey be the one that narrowly escapes death in the duel so that Kylo can retain some menace?

How is there supposed to be any sense authority or danger from Kylo now?
>>
>>63781189

While I can say that I honestly enjoyed the movie, I definitely have to concur about Rey. She was pretty much ex machina throughout. I'm not complaining, though, like all of these other whiny fags. We all knew this wasn't going to be winning any Academy Awards, it had that Star Wars brand of cheese that all six movies have had. But for ten years of waiting, I feel like I got what I paid for, unlike that fucking abortion known as Episode 1.

Honestly, for someone that's watched them for years, I'd have to rank them, from best to worst as V>VI>VII>III>IV>II>I
>>
Fucking wow you hit every prediction I made about this movie on the FUCKING HEAD so glad I did not pay to watch this crapfest
>>
>>63784521
At least the ex machina scenes seem to be setups for some reveals in the next sequels. Though it does make sense to interpret them through the movie alone, it is highly likely that there is a deeper meaning with them.
>>
>>63784434
Imo I think the plots being similar is fine. ANH set up the Star Wars universe without answering any questions. TFA is doing something similar.
>>
File: OdiC1lal.png (168 KB, 329x261) Image search: [Google]
OdiC1lal.png
168 KB, 329x261
>>63781208
TAKE OFF THE MASK
>>
File: I absolve you.png (923 KB, 1021x445) Image search: [Google]
I absolve you.png
923 KB, 1021x445
>>63780980
>Overhyped
>Rehash
>Normie friendly
MEDIOCRE
E
D
I
O
C
R
E
>>
>>63784053
>A New Hope and Empire were far better than TFA.
Very good observation!
>>
>>63784521
TFA is objectively a better movie than Phantom Menace. That goes without saying.

But in terms of memorability and rewatchability, I don't think TFA stands out from the prequels at all.

There's nothing in this one that's as memorable as the podrace or the Duel of the Fates fight.

I'd prefer George's great fuckups to the most unimaginative copy and paste of recent memory.
>>
>>63780980
Try this again in 6 months when the BD is out and everyone will agree.
>>
>>63780980
>>63781000
RLM has ruined this fucking board.
>>
I'm willing to give this movie the benefit of the doubt.

Was it entertaining? Yes.
Was it unoriginal? Absolutely.

But I think the best thing about the movie was that it tied the old characters, emotionally and through relation, to the new generation. I fully expect to see new plots and world building (they are essentially on Tython now - so many possibilities ) in episode 8 but the ground work and link had to be established.
>>
>>63785086
>TFA is objectively a better movie than Phantom Menace. That goes without saying.

I swear, "better than the prequels" is going to be the new "Still a Better Love Story than Twilight"
>>
It was convenient that Finn's moral crisis didn't extend to the storm troopers that he kills later in the movie.

I guess it's ok to show them no compassion because the plot says so.
>>
>>63785552
There's a difference in slaughter of civilians and killing combatants...
>>
File: 38038029.jpg (27 KB, 564x460) Image search: [Google]
38038029.jpg
27 KB, 564x460
>tfw you realise the plot is an almost exact copy of ANH with new costumes and settings
>>
Some of these things are true.

It's still better than any of the prequels. At least its plot holes are internal, and it doesn't have serious continuity problems with the original trilogy. At least it doesn't have any characters meant solely to be stupid, child actors butchering their lines, child characters accidentally achieving what trained pilots couldn't, or CGI characters and sets that look worse than the practical ones from the 70s. Rey is no more ridiculous than Padme, the Democratically elected teenage Queen of her planet who's great at her job and can also handle herself in a firefight, despite leading a government than shuns the use of military force. And to be fair, it's not like Luke didn't have any plot armor in Return of the Jedi.
>>
>>63785664
Sure, but he grew up with these people, they were the only part of his life. They at least could have shown a scene of Finn trying to reason with a trooper, or showing regret at having to kill his former comrades.
>>
>>63785552
I find his desertion totally unbelievable. He says he's been raised as a solider of the new order form early childhood yet he runs of after the first combat mission he's been to.
>>
>>63785765
I think it seems unbelievable because he has almost no backstory. That's a problem with his development, there is context surrounding it, and the reason he gives for leaving is too vague and unspecific.
>>
>>63785722
No one is calling this movie an abortion. It's better than the prequels but that's not hard to achieve. It's about a 4/10.

They lacked so much ambition with the plot though. It's comparable to Hangover 2 in how safe they played it. Everyone was happy to write that movie off as a blatant, cynical cash grab. This movie, however, will have its faults overlooked (by most) because it's Star Wars.
>>
Besides Solo's Death The most memorable scene was easily the millennium falcon fight on Jakku. The concept of fighting through old star destroyers was pretty neat.
>>
File: fb.jpg (10 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
10 KB, 274x184
First off, I really liked this movie. No kidding. It had some good action, and special effects, and the creatures were well done. Kylo Ren has the potential to be a good villain in the hands of a better writer, but I knew going in that JJ Abrams can't make strong villains.

Which brings me to my problems with the movie: the characters, especially the leads. John Boyega was fine, as was Daisy Ridley, but I felt his character was a bit superfluous. He wasn't exactly a love interest (Rey seemed to friend zone him with that kiss on the forehead), and he was't exactly comic relief either. His character seemed to bounce around from bumbling to semi-heroic, and really couldn't make up its mind what to be.

I wanted to like Rey but, speaking as a woman myself, I thought the pandering 'strong independent woman' shit got really old. Why does she have to be good at EVERYTHING? She's a genius engineer, a good pilot, a good fighter, and she can use the force, apparently without any training. Luke was eventually good at all those things too, but it at least he had to train before he got better.

Also, I didn't feel any real connection with Rey's supposed heroism. Unlike Luke she didn't seem to want anything.
>>
did anyone else find that it felt kinda empty and small? I didn't really feel a sense of epic scale like the prequels, which had absolutely massive, sprawling cities and strange planets. TFA just felt like it took place on earth
>>
>>63786358
Abrams and Kennedy were clearly worried about making her vulnerable or weak in any way so they went too far in the opposite direction.
>>
>>63786358
JAKKU
A
K
K
U
>>
>>63786358
Luke was a Mary Sue too in the first movie.
From
>I'm just a farm boy
to
>I'm the greatest pilot ever and I blew up the Death Star and saved the a Rebellion
in no time.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 1024x904) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 1024x904
Friendly reminder that Finn lasted longer against Kylo Ren than he did against the stormtrooper.
>>
File: consider the following.png (13 KB, 158x151) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.png
13 KB, 158x151
>>63780980
It sounds like you don't really understand what goes on BEHIND the curtain, how execs end up calling the shots, how there isn't just ONE writer who determines everything, how stories change a lot from conception to final draft, etc.

Basically you are judging a film and going "WELL I COULD HAVE WRITTEN IT BETTER GOSH" like a shitty armchair critic, hence why you're posting here on a Taiwanese image board. It's easy to blame JJ when really in the eyes of Disney this movie was what it needed to be: tons of action, nostalgia, sequel potential, and pandering to the lowest levels.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.