[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Allow me to clarify. I liked Idris Elba in Prometheus. Will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 346x120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 346x120
Allow me to clarify.

I liked Idris Elba in Prometheus.

Will Smith movies aren't great, but they're fun movies and he works as an actor.

Boyega looks like they just picked a random black kid from Atlanta, to play a random black kid sent back a long time ago far away. He just sticks out and it doesn't look right. There's some random southern US young dindu running around Star Wars.

Same as if in The Godfather some main character was randomly an Australian aborigine or something.

It's so bad it breaks immersion. It's not because he's black in general, Lando was a great character.
>>
I thought Rey's accent was more distracting than Boyega's skin color.
>>
>>63780171
But again it ISNT his skin color.

Imagine some typical Eminem type white trailer trash "acting" in Star Wars.

It just doesn't work.

I don't know enough about filmmaking to know if this has a technical term (some sort of blank slate requirement to be a good actor) but I know my gut.
>>
>>63780150
Whoops, you're racist. Finn was a good character.
>>
>>63780233
>Imagine some typical Eminem type white trailer trash "acting" in Star Wars.
That's exactly what Adam Driver is.
>>
>>63780236
>buzzword ad Hominem followed by opinion held as fact.

Like clockwork.
>>
>>63780233
I seriously don't know what you mean. Why doesn't it work? Space is large, surely there must be some white trash characters living in it?

And there was nothing wrong with Boyega's acting.
>>
>>63780269
Not quite that bad, but I agree to some extent. At least he's acting.
>>
>>63780323
>>63780323
Or I should clarify, trying to act.
>>
>>63780297
Except not really. You're saying Finn is a bad character because he's black. That's racist no matter how you look at it. Also, Finn has almost universally been received as one of the high points of the movie, so really most people saying he sucked are just being contrarian.
>>
>>63780233
You realise Boyega's a professional actor right? He's trained. He's been in more movies than Ridley.
>>
>>63780323
Boyega is just as good though. Your only problem is that you're racist, and that's a personal problem so it's not like it matters.
>>
>people believing boyegas acting was good.
>people felt Hayden's was good at the time.

Can we just go forward a year and get it overwith
>>
>>63780150
You're basically upset because Boyega looks 'too black' for you to cope with. He's a properly trained actor, he's been the lead in Shakespeare for fucks sake, they didn't pluck him off the street.

Sorry mate, you genuinally are racist.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>63780150
If it's not his skin color that bothers you, why are you complaining about the actor and not the character?
>>
>>63780367
So Mr Emo haters are racist too right? :^)
>>
>>63780233
Sadly, there's no technical term for the audience member not respoding to a character played by a perfectly capable actor because said audience member is a closed-minded knob.
>>
>>63780451
No, because they're not bitching about him being white.
>>
>>63780426
Not op but implying there's anything wrong with that.

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>63780451
No, but thinking someone is ugly still sounds like a personal problem to me. Driver is also a good actor.
>>
>>63780438
Keanu Reeves
>>
File: 63463434.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
63463434.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>>63780487
>le reddit meme
>>
This meme's dead mate. The most productive thing you've done with your day is create a shit go-nowhere thread. Time to kill yourself.
>>
>>63780150
fuck you Boyega was great in Attack the Block
>>
File: 1437625985470.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
1437625985470.png
325 KB, 382x417
>>63780518
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>63780571
>external validation and conformity are the reasons for existence

Wew lad. Maybe you should take your own advice. That's depressing as fuck.
>>
none of you meet a real nigger in real life shut your fucking mouths. there is a big difference between a black man and a nigger
>>
Boyega isn't even some Southern dindu? The guy's British and went to acting school and shit. Finn was an alright character and Boyega is genuinely a good actor. Driver was good as well, he's very believable as an edgelord (which is what Kylo Ren is). The biggest problem with the movie was not only the character of Rey (literally Mary Sue) but the actress herself. Ridley is just not a very good actress, and it's painfully obvious that she's acting in every scene. That broke the immersion for me.
>>
File: 1450149370761.jpg (157 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1450149370761.jpg
157 KB, 650x366
>>63780150
but he's not even american, desu senpai
>>
>63780473

Op was bitching about his facial structure and his screen presence in general. He even stated he didnt have a problem with black actors in general
looks to me like op was just trying to have a dialogue about why the actor doesnt work well in the sw universe but it's easier to end a conversation by labeling somebody racist and being done with it. So good job bro.
>>
>>63780150
Idris Elba ruined Long Walk to Freedom for me
HE LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MANDELA
almost everyone in my country thought so, too
>>
>>63780696
>that guy isn't even an Asian, his parents moved to the USA
>>
File: tumblr_inline_niiamgxftd1rnnsez.png (117 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_niiamgxftd1rnnsez.png
117 KB, 372x351
>Atlanta

But he's from Nigeria

You nigger
>>
>>63780719
This is the culture we chose anon. Feels bad.
>>
>>63780733
>What is civic nationalism.
>>
>>63780150
This was repeated so much before release now that the movie is out it's not a valid opinion anymore. The fact he doesn't look like Will Smith doesn't make him any less capable as an actor. Not anyone's fault but your own that you only want bucks you're physically attracted to in movies.
>>
>>63780719
Ok OP, then why bring up his skin colour at all?
>>
>he's from Atlanta
>he's from the Uk
>he's from Nigeria

Cultural Marxism
>>
>>63780733
What are you talking about? I said that Boyega is not from the south of the United States, his nationality is British. His parents were born in Nigeria and moved to Britain, where Boyega was born. Therefore, Boyega is a British born Nigerian. Just because he's black doesn't mean he has to be from Atlanta, or some Southern state in the US. You are aware that there are other countries besides the United States, or are you fucking dense?
>>
>>63780799
Cultural Marxism
>>
File: 1430156202156.jpg (122 KB, 713x951) Image search: [Google]
1430156202156.jpg
122 KB, 713x951
>>63780719
>Op was bitching about his facial structure and his screen presence in general.

Yeah, specifically that he looks too much like what OP considers to be an archetypal black thug instead of the sanitised black people with more European features he normally sees and it upsets him.

I wonder why people are claiming his problem is just that he's racist?! Baffling.
>>
>>63780763
He's from Peckham.
>>
>>63780879
>there's something wrong with feeling that way
>>
>>63780233
But he didn't act like a chimped out hood nigger m8, he was well spoken and a nice dude in the movie.

Surprisingly he turned out good, and Rey turned out to be laughably shit.
>>
>>63780844
So im op because i understood what he was saying?
>why bring up skin color at all.
Probably because he wanted to clear the air immediately, and immediately
>LOL WHY U HATE BLACKS. BOYEGA IS CAPABLE HE WAS IN A MOVIE BEFORE THIS ONE.
Also Abrams cast a black guy for the single purpose of having a black guy, that's worse than having a problem with a specific actor who happens to be black.
>>
>>63780719
Anyone works in the star wars universe. It's space movie that doesn't even have Earth in it. Literally anyone from any race can be inserted into a new role and it will work. There are no hard rules to the human race in the universe. Hell we don't even know where humans come from in the SWU.
>>
>>63780956
>Also Abrams cast a black guy for the single purpose of having a black guy, that's worse than having a problem with a specific actor who happens to be black.

I keep seeing this posted around here with the only proof being some MS edited photo of JJ with some green text next to his face. Is there an actual legit source for this?
>>
>>63780936
Nothing inherently, but if it's stopping him from enjoying media he wants to watch and doesn't provide him with any benefits, then yes, there obviously is.
>>
Boyega was pretty good in The Force Awakens.
>>
>>63780966
Really? So if some chavs were used instead of ewoks you'd be ok mr Star Wars connoisseur?

I kept it white so you would not be offended or trigger your race card training.
>>
>>63780998
Common sense and basic understanding of Hollywood politics
>>
>>63780956
>that's worse than having a problem with a specific actor who happens to be black.
It's not like white actors have it hard. Just look at the MCU.
>>
>>63780998
this guy didn't see the star wars celebration panel this year!
>>
>>63781017
So, OP needs a movie where every actor looks exactly like what he wants them to look like? Otherwise it "breaks the immersion"? If the character of Finn existed in the EU and he was originally a 6ft tall white guy with blond hair, then I could understand why it would be annoying to cast a black actor in that role. But Finn is an original character, so saying that Boyega doesn't look like what Finn should look like is retarded. Only JJ and the writers/producers know what Finn should look like, because he's their creation.
>>
>>63781047
I was talking humans first of all.
Second Boyega is an actor not some random hood. Keep switching the goal posts it just makes you look stupid. It's not my fault you can get passed how an actor looks.
>>
>>63781073
you're literally retarded, sorry man

>>63781111
No, I didn't see it OP. Would you like to educate me on it then, or did you not see it either?
>>
>>63781143
that shit is like two hours long it's in the Star Wars channel on jew tube feel free to watch it.
>>
>he wanted a black actor
and so fucking what
He's in charge of the movie he can do that shit. Is it pandering? I think so. It's detrimental to anyone it's the way he envisioned he's movie to be. Sorry you guys can't self insert.
>>
>>63781227
>Omg fucking racists cant handle strong black man in their movie
>well if you cast a character cast a character based on skin color thats perfectly fine
Whats with the social justice double standard?
http://www.cnet.com/news/director-j-j-abrams-weighs-in-on-diversity-in-the-star-wars-universe/
>>
>>63781321
>I'm gonna quote without actually quoting and get buttmad about the made up quote
Directors cast people on skin color all the fucking time you moron. The only difference is that this time around it's a giant fucking movie made for nostalgia.
>>
>>63781137
Jesus Christ. Ewoks was for humor. Storm troopers then. Do you get it now? Stop posting so much and think
>>
>>63781395
JJ recasted finn to be black even though Plemmons was set to play him
He did it in the name of diveristy and only diversity. Its like if they remade Roots but had a chinese man play toby
>well we thought that asian americans were severely lacking in the story so we did some recasts
It's a slippery slope
>>
>>63781438
It doesn't matter because an actor is an actor. Chavs aren't actors they're random British hoods you pass by on the street. If a chav actor did do a character he would be a professional actor to get the role and he wouldn't be acting like a chav you dense fuck.
>>
>>63780305
>>63780361
>>63780465
what the fuck
are these disney shills? seriously what in the absolute fuck disney defense force out
>>
>>63780733
Most Asian people are whiter than white people.
>>
>>63781635
What's the problem?
>>
>>63781578
You are a certifiable moron if you think that's an apt analogy.
>>
>>63781635
People with different opinions who don't jump on the "lets hate Boyega train because he's not the buck we like" on a anime imageboard are not shills.
>>
>>63781634
>>63781634
>implying an inbred chav could be a professionally trained, great actor

That "everyone is equal" shit is gonna get you fucked in more than just /tv/ arguments bud.
>>
>>63781673
He's a cuxck
>>
>>63781578
Star Wars isn't a historical fiction it's a science fiction movie. White people are prominent in the movies not because of any facts they're prominent because the time they were made.
>>
>>63780150
>Same as if in The Godfather some main character was randomly an Australian aborigine or something.

The Nogfather, coming soon.
>>
He sticks out sure, but that's because half the time he wears normie street clothes like he forgot to get changed before walking on set.
>>
>>63781727
ho lee shit
I'm not coming here until you fucks have moved on to your next project
>>
>>63781729
So you have no rebuttals and you only compared Boyega to chavs to do what?
>>
>>63781780
Whites are still the vast majority of America.
So casting the main character as black only because he's black is pants on head retarded if we go by what you say
>>
>>63781870
LOL
>MUH NOSTALGIA MOVIE IS BEING TAKEN OVER BY A DIFFERENT RACE WHY CAN'T EVERYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT AND BE ON MY SIDE?!?!
We star wars now
>>
>>63781928
I don't have any nostalgia regarding the star wars movies
>>
>>63781729
Boyega played the lead in Shakespeare whilst at college. He's a professional, trained actor, not a 'chav'. He just played one in Attack the Block. You seem to be struggling to tell the difference between fiction and reality.
>>
File: 010.jpg (26 KB, 631x293) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
26 KB, 631x293
>complain about black actor not looking right
>say it's because of bone structure not skin colour
>say they should have chosen Jesse Plemons instead
this is the white guy that was up for the part of Finn
>>
>>63781924
Good thing Star Wars is set in a galaxy far away and not America. And casting a black man as one of the many leads in Star Wars is pretty smart. Star Wars has gotten so much money from white men they went to a different demo they'll keep getting the white male money now they'll get white women and black man money. I know pants on head retarded.
>>
>>63781978
He's not the buck they want so they'll keep on complaining no matter the facts you give them.
>>
>>63781990
>Daily reminder that /tv/ would have been fine with this neolithic throw-back being Finn
>>
>>63781924
Not the guy your talking to, but that's a shit argument. The majority of people in America are overweight, why aren't most movie stars? Because that's not what people want to fucking see. Minorities and stronk womyin are in right now, in the future it will be something else.
>>
>>63782128
Sad but true. Fatt Damon is great on Fargo but would have been a horrible miscast for TFA.
>>
>>63782128
>we would never have threads with an OP saying he's not handsome enough
I just love the lengths some posters will go just say they're not racist. It's fucking 4chan just call him a nigger and get it out there.
>>
>>63782027
>he thinks niggers have any interest in star wars
hows that rock you live under
>>63782138
>in the future it will be something else
It's good to know that this trilogy will be forgotten in 10 years
>>
>>63780150

I'm not gonna deny, he took me out of the movie.

He just looked completely out of place. Lando looked at home and looked like he belonged in that universe, this guy just looked like some random dumb thug out of detroit trying to act in a space movie. It was jarring. Film would have been much better having him played by a white guy. Sorry, but its true.
>>
File: 1448857997090.jpg (75 KB, 304x423) Image search: [Google]
1448857997090.jpg
75 KB, 304x423
Boyega is a good actor, I won't deny that.

Though the role he is playing, I don't think he's physically suited for, they didn't cast him as the muscle, or even a rough-neck type character.

He's the equivalent of Mad Max in fury road, except he does even less.

And JJ didn't hide the fact that he hires based on quotas as opposed to actual talent or who fit's what role.

Call me whatever buzzword you'd like though, Ridley's acting was absolute garbage, and to be honest, Boyega would have been better suited as some kind of villain, maybe a replacement of phasma, or a general.

It makes me even sicker when people are praising the "interracial" relationship first, and then his acting second (mainstream media)

Now if I had to pick a BLACK actor for Boyega's role, I would have picked dule hill, maybe make him even older, and cut out the romance sub-plot entirely, and give the character a bit more of an arc.
>>
>>63782258
>It's good to know that this trilogy will be forgotten in 10 years
Just like the prequels were right?
>>
>>63781990
>Jesse Plemons

What the fuck, were they really considering him? Fuck this Quota shit, I don't think they have ANY idea what they're doing with casting.

They're casting for muscle, but don't have the muscle act like muscle.

Fuck you JJ, you HACK FRAUD.
>>
File: Sheev.gif (2 MB, 438x363) Image search: [Google]
Sheev.gif
2 MB, 438x363
>>63782300
>>63782271
people are finally acknowledging op's point after an hour of racebaiting shills
>>63782322
For the most part they have been forgotten.
You dont see other movies quoting the prequels like they had with the original trilogy.
>>
>>63780421
>people felt Hayden's was good at the time.
Yikes, I don't see how. I've not seen the new one yet but is Boyega at least better than Hayden?
>>
>>63782300
So wait - it's okay cast with a racist bias but not a progressive one?
>>
File: 1341947106518.png (472 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1341947106518.png
472 KB, 1000x750
>>63782447
>Racist bias

I said physical, color of skin is irrelevant, as in build, and previous roles, people are cast based on looks all the time, especially in movies like this.

but it's a moot point, it seems like they were looking for big-bad and kinda rough, based on some of the previous casting choices.

Now I'm just confused as to why, I get that he's a stormtrooper, but they didn't really do much with that aspect of the character in the entire film.

I honestly would have liked boyega as a anti-hero or a straight up antagonist though, he would have done a better job than what we got with Jedi Edgelord and Phasma-trash-compactor.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.