[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First user reviews of Phantom Menace (from 1999)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: Phantom-Menace[1].jpg (343 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Phantom-Menace[1].jpg
343 KB, 1000x1500
Just for the sake of comparison, this link shows the very first Phantom Menace user reviews on IBDM, from May of 1999:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/reviews?filter=chrono;filter=chrono;start=3520

>New installment generally satisfying....worth the wait
>Yes, it's true...this movie RULES!
>It's a hit!!!
>You will not be disappointed.
>A welcome addition to the "Star Wars" Franchise
>Great as a film, but just good as a Star Wars film
>Well worth the wait... Stay in line, guys!
>breathtaking joyride from beginning to end!!!
>Does it live up to 16+ years of anticipation? Yes!
>Faith Restored
>Applause. Lots of applause.
>It was worth the 16 year wait since ROTJ
>This movie is everything it should be, the beginning of the greatest tale ever to grace the screen."The Phantom Menace" has all the glitz and glamour you'd expect from a film directed by George Lucas, but it also is a fantastic example of why Star Wars is true greatness
>>
>>63762217
Of course it's the best of the three.
>>
>Great as a film, but just good as a Star Wars film
That isn't necessarily far off the mark tbqh
>>
File: ebert-tpm.png (554 KB, 1291x855) Image search: [Google]
ebert-tpm.png
554 KB, 1291x855
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999
>>
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/movie-news/its-just-depressinglyokay-star-wars-the-force-awakens-review-34295862.html

Honest review here
>>
>>63762813
Why do so many reviews for Star Wars all say this movie is bad 100% 2 thumbs up
>>
>>63762813
roger ebert is a horrible reviewer.
>>
People who first see movies like these are mostly paid reviewers and rabid fans who will eat it all up. Makes sense for the reaction to be like this again. It's already calming down. Especially since even the reviews that give it 5/5 call it a stale rehash.
>>
Good things about Episode 1:
>Darth Maul
>Liam Neeson
>Pod Racing Scene
>Duel of the Fates
>Obi Wan going full rambo at the end

Good things about Episode II:
>Christopher Lee acted well
>The closing credits to signify the movie is over

Good things about Episode III:
>Anakin vs Obi Wan
>Ian McDiarmid as Palpetine
>The intro wasting no time in getting things going
>Vader on the Death Star was a pretty damn cool shot
>Owen holding Luke to the sun set was a perfect ending

Good things about Episode VII:
>Nice use of humour without being overly cheesy
>Solid action scenes
>Harrison Ford's best acting in over a decade
>BB8
>Rey using the force to pull that lightsaber out of the snow during the duel against Kylo was a badass shot
>Luke just standing there still seemed badass as fuck

To sum things up here: The only Star Wars movie worth shitting on is Episode II, the rest at least have more than a few redeeming qualities
>>
>>63762217
I like TPM desu
>>
i just want to kiss phantom menace padme all over her tummy, is that too much to fucking ask?
>>
>>63763061

What about Obi-Wan and Jango nigga? I don't mean just their fight necessarily, but the characters. I thought Jango was one of the best "villains" out of the 6, certainly better than Boba. It had some decent action and chases too.

I think Attack of the Clones is the worst, don't get me wrong, but there's some good stuff in it. There's decent aspects to all 7 of them really.
>>
>>63763061
>Nice use of humour without being overly cheesy

Please tell me that you aren't considering that the part where Rey gets obsessed with the hand holding or when Finn asks her if she has a boyfriend aren't cheese or kinda forced
>>
>>63763274

Wait, is that spoiler true? That shit is actually in the movie? That sounds like Anakin and Padme crap.
>>
>>63763274
B-88 using the lighter as a thumbs up. Troopers casually walking away from Ren throwing a temper tantrum. Han Solo giving Finn a short ''lecture'' about the Force.
>>
>>63763274
Nah nah m8, those bits (especially the handholding) did make me cringe. But I thought the banter between Poe and Finn (as limited as it was) was solid and you gotta admit that BB8 lighter thumbs up was great
>>
wew laddy
>>
>>63763352
>In most cases the acting was superb, especially that of Natalie Portman
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....ha
>>
>>63763341
Nowhere near as bad as Anakin and Padme, John Boyega is actually likeable enough where even the cringy stuff doesn't seem SO bad
>>
>>63763346
I enjoyed most of the humour, but the whole stormtroopers avoiding Ren's tantrum was poorly placed imo

The whole idea with his tantrums is to show how important the map piece is. and the lengths he'll go to get it. The stormtroopers walking off like he's a child just cheapens his character
>>
File: mfwnosand.jpg (17 KB, 268x284) Image search: [Google]
mfwnosand.jpg
17 KB, 268x284
>>63763415
At least Anakin crap while sounding like something an autist would say is actually memetic.
>>
>>63763418
Thats the point, that specific scene was meant to remind you of a kid throwing a tantrum because that's more or less what Ren is, a spoilt kid with serious parent issues so deep that it caused him to turn to the dark side.
>>
>>63763346
i lost my shit when the troopers walked away
it was gold
>>
>>63763486
Ren is 3edgy5me
>>
>>63763347
Poe and Finn broship was one of the best things in the movie IMO, too bad they didn't expand on that.
>>
>>63763352
Based Drew dropping some truth bombs, people get to caught up in the LE FUGG LE PREQUELS XD meme that they fail to realise they were actually quite decent
>>
>>63763457
Trust me m9, it sounds a lot worse on paper than it is. Plus it's mercifully quick too where as Anakin and Padmé lasted an entire trilogy
>>
>>63763418
That's entirely the point. He's a pussy who can't even convincingly intimidate his employees. Now that he'said committed patricide, he probably thinks he's a lot scarier. Maybe he will be.
>>
>>63763486
>>63763546
What I'm saying, is that the film can't decide whether Ren is a hardass powerful Sith, or an overgrown child

The first scenes he's in portray him as ruthless and deadly, then you start getting the 2 year old temper tantrums. Fucking pick one
>>
>>63763571
No no the film makes it quite clear he's an overgrown child masquerading as a hardass powerful Sith
>>
if you didnt like duel of the fates and the 2v1 lightsaber fight then shiiiiiet nigga gtfo

yes it was a trash movie but it was the 90s and people were still learning how to use computers and the drugs were very powerful, cheap and socially acceptable
>>
File: fascimile.jpg (92 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
fascimile.jpg
92 KB, 600x450
>>63762925
>roger ebert is a horrible reviewer
>is
That bitch is dead senpai
>>
>>63763571
>What I'm saying, is that the film can't decide whether Ren is a hardass powerful Sith, or an overgrown child

He is basically Darth Vader without the suit.
>>

>Darth Snape trained by Skywalker AND a Sith Lord struggling to kill a lightsaber-weilding janitor
>Old Alien from Cantina 2.0 kept Luke's lightsaber "locked up for years" in an unlocked wooden box in plain view in a fucking beam of light just down the stairs in a bar frequented by scumbags
>a third Deathstar that meets its end just like the other two

J.J pls
>>
>>63763869

It's actually a 4th Death Star. The one in Revenge of the Sith is a prototype according to Wookiepedia.
>>
>>63763922
I always figured that was just a schematic. The more you know.
>>
>>63763922
Da fuck? Who needs a fully functional prototype to a space station the size of a moon
>>
>>63763418
The point of his tantrums was to show that he's a crybaby
>>
>>63763341
>Anakin and Padme
Finn grabs her hand twice when they're running from Tie Fighters and she tells him off twice.
The boyfriend part is him asking if she had anything worth going back to Jakku for and he slips in asking if she's single to which she replies it's none of his business.
Hardly Anakin's near stalkerish behaviour but people will criticise anything to be contrarian.
>>
>>63764195
>Do you have a boyfriend, a good looking one?

Not literal since it's translated from the dub version I watched.
>>
>>63764258
Literal. I just got back from the theater.
>>
>>63763061
episode 2 had the battle of geonosis, coruscant chase at the start and the slave 1 vs obi wan scene, all great but the movie still was kinda shit
>>
>>63763418
>The whole idea with his tantrums is to show how important the map piece is. and the lengths he'll go to get it. The stormtroopers walking off like he's a child just cheapens his character
Not really, the tantrums are to show he's unstable and has a short temper. The troopers walking away probably didn't want to be choked/attacked like that Officer.
>>
>>63763379
natalie portman is mesmerizing, i don't blame him for wanting to suffocate between her thighs
>>
>>63763158
Oh please do explain how Jango is a good villain.
>>
>>63764258
>do you have a family or a boyfriend? Cute boyfriend?
And that's it finished, no mention of it again compared to several scenes of awkward "romance" between Anakin and Padme.
>>
>>63764352
Not him, but rather than good villain I'd say good enemy. But since he is basically prequel era-Boba Fett some might not share this opinion Both of them do more than Phasma tho
>>
>>63762217
You don't understand why the prequels were shit.

You need to have seen all three of them to realize it was all bullshilt.

When TPM came out we thought all of this was going somewhere.
>>
>>63763352

Even when the movie was being hyped they were already whining about Jar Jar.
>>
>>63764352
Well he's the closest thing to a morally gray character the movies have.

>"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the galaxy."
>>
>>63764369
Anakin romance is shit, and I won't defend it. But the point is that there are some few C'MON! times in epVII. While AnakinxPadme is just more concentrated
>>
>>63764492
>Jango fuckign Fett
>character
>>
>>63764471
I figured out they weren't going anywhere about half-way through attack of the clones.

The prequels are about 7 hours of material, and they didn't really add anything to the franchise.
>>
>>63764546
>few C'MON! times in epVII
What do you mean?
>>
proof that reddit, plinkett reviews, and exaggeration has corrupted your minds
>>
>>63764471
It did go somewhere. Say what you will about the acting and directing but I don't know what people expected from the story. It was pretty much the same shit we'd been hearing about for years. Oh Zahn made people think the clones were bad guys and Obi and Ani had a more troubled mentor/student relationship than he let on in ANH. But that's about it. It all played out more or less as I expected.
>>
>>63764546
How can you watch any scene with Anakin and Padme and not gag uncontrollably.
>>
>>63763274

The worst attempt was right at the start when Poe says "Who talks here? Do i talk? You talk?" after getting captured by Kylo and all the villagers are getting murdered. It was like a Marvel movie and didn't fit the tone at all.
>>
>>63764603
Moments that make someone roll his eyes like the boyfriend thing. Luckily they are not too many to call this utter shit.
>>
>>63764585
Where was it supposed to go that it didn't?
>>
>>63764609
>literally the biggest example of cinematic blueballs
>HAHAHA THIS PROVES YOU ARE SHEEPLE FOR RLM
>>
>>63764761
To be fair, it was meant as a joke line in Episode VII whereas the Prequels were completely serious about the romance.
Not to mention, Finn and Rey are just friends at the end.
>>
>>63762925
I'm pretty sure he was on some drug half the time he wrote reviews
>>
>>63764661
The memes son, they harden in response to psychic trauma

Seriously tho, my mind somehow disconnects hoping it gets to the next scene.
>>
>>63764773
How about some fucking world building for once that explains some more about the Jedi and Sith ways asshole

Why does Lucas hate world building and explaining things he doesn't even explain what the fuck the prophecy is and thats supposed to be the crux of the plot for the whole franchise
>>
>>63764773
Possibly give some information that hadn't already been gleaned from the OT... that was relevant to anything. Some sort of analysis of the jedi council and why it was in a position to fail, rather than just having anakin kill them all. Give some sort of background on obi-wan, palpatine, anakin, etc, instead of having them be completely different characters for the duration.

There were a lot of places they could go. The problem is what the preqeuls could do was restricted by lucas' autism.
>>
>>63764671
Yeah I agree. It's just so unnatural to see two white people being together. It doesnt really fit.

Opposites attract, black masculinity, with white feminity.

Anakin and Padme is like watching two skinny twinks interracting.
>>
>>63764787
hellooo reddit!
>>
>>63764908
>two white people
>jews
>white
>americans
>white
That's cute. You tried.
>>
>>63764974
isn't christensen european?
>>
>>63762217
I'm sorry but Episode I at least was what you would expect in a Star Wars.

It was Star Wars.

Episode 7 is just plain garbage.
>>
>>63764837
I understand the grievances people have with the acting and direction. I don't understand how people can look at the story itself and say it's not good enough.
>>
>>63764837
Meant to reply this >>63764671
>>
>>63764999
all i can remember about episode 1 is stiff acting, child actors, and jarjar. Which were most certainly not "star wars" for me.
>>
>>63762217
I knew this would come. There's no comparison between Phantom Menace and Force Awakens. Cause even if Force Awakens it's not as good as the original films, it gets some things VERY right, like the design, the lightsaber duels and the humor.
>>
episode 1 hate is a meme
>>
>>63765073
every communicable idea is a meme, by definition.
>>
>>63764887
>the prophecy
The prophecy was that there would be an individual with such a high force sensitivity who would bring balance to the force.
The Jedi saw this as meaning the Sith would be destroyed and the Sith saw it the other way when it was actually talking about destroying both the Jedi and the Sith. That's why the Jedi are pretty much destroyed and so are the Sith by the end of the saga.

>>63764906
>Some sort of analysis of the jedi council and why it was in a position to fail
Which they did, the Jedi were unable to sense the Sith and their force abilities had diminished in the years before. Pair that with them being spread thin across the galaxy in a war and it's not hard to see why the Jedi fell.
>>
>>63764887
The prophecy isn't that important though. I don't know why people harp on it so much. The fact that Anakin fulfilled it is ultimately incidental. The real story is about Anakin's fall and Luke's rise and how they parallel.

And there's a lot of stuff you can infer about the Jedi and Sith if you pay attention to the boring dialogue.

>>63764906
He did that though. The PT revealed a lot about the Jedi and the Force and why the republic fell.
>>
>>63765043
All what you say there.
In episode 7 it's ten times worse acting, worse dialogues and most certainly not a single redeeming point, I didn't watch star wars there.
>>
That movie at least has a real Jedi, Real Sith, not John Darth Snow, with anger problems talking about Christ.
>>
>>63765121
>Which they did, the Jedi were unable to sense the Sith and their force abilities had diminished in the years before. Pair that with them being spread thin across the galaxy in a war and it's not hard to see why the Jedi fell.

Where was that in the prequels? As from what I remember, the jedi weren't able to sense sheev just because he was so damn awesome.

>>63765123
>why the republic fell
It didn't fall until it just did, though.
>>
>reading IMDB user reviews

for what purpose?
>>
>>63765228
They mention it several times that their abilitied have wilted and even talk about informing the Senate. They state in the second film that the Jedi wouldn't be able to withstand a war. While the Clone army helped, they were still spread out fighting in distant battlefields while the true evil was literally a few buildings along from them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMylmOlot4g

Literally the pinnacle of film making
>>
>>63765228
It fell because of Sheev scheming against the dogmatic Jedi, corrupt bureaucrats, a fake war that resulted from the previous two things plus an inability or refusal to listen
>>
>>63765367
and why had it gotten to that point
>>
>>63764974
Same skin-tone autist.

Oh yeah, there is no white people, more pinkish hue durp
>>
>>63763346
droid humour is top notch m8

some of it is cheesy though like the stormtroopers walking away
>>
>>63763418

When they said he had too much Vader in him, what they actually meant was he had too much Anakin in him. I thought the tantrums were pretty on point. Even Luke was whiny as fuck in A New Hope
>>
>>63765397
No. Jews are a different race from Whites and Americans have no race. They are mongrels.
>>
>>63765382
Because the Sith had been attempting to bring it about for a millennium after the Jedi tried to exterminate them. Sheev was the culmination of their plotting.
>>
>>63765458
So the republic was perfect and good but fell because the BBEG did it.

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about.
>>
>>63763061
>Darth Maul
>Pod Racing
>GOOD
Gas this meme.
>>
>>63765456
Le repill xD
>>
>>63765497
No, in The Phantom Menace it is shown to be corrupt and unable to defend it's own nations. But keep trying to downplay it. It's fun constantly proving you wrong.
>>
>>63765518
Darth maul was thought to be good until he just kinda died like a bitch.
>>
>>63763061
Meh episode 7 is like a bad remake of 4 I was pretty disappointed by it.

In my opinion it goes like this:
5 - 4 >> 1 - 6 - 3 >>>> 7 > 2
>>
>>63764821
you forget, this is just the first movie in the new trilogy. Anakin and and Padme didn't have anything going on because he was still a runt in TFM and Han and Leah's pick up until ESB. They should be hooking up by the next film with Poe being added to the mix to form a totally unnecessary love triangle.
>>
>>63765526
Spotted the mixing pot american.
>>
>>63765552
By >>63765458's own admission it was corrupt and unable to defend it's own nations because the sith had been weakening it for a thousand years.
>>
>>63765599
While the Sith had been weakening it, it was still useless and had forgotten it's purpose. The Sith could not have taken power if it was not in such a bad state.
>>
>>63765644
and it was in a bad state because the sith put it in that state.

How are you defending this?
>>
>>63765497
What are you talking about? You were complaining about it not introducing anything new.

And no the republic wasn't good, it became corrupt over the last thousand years while the Jedi grew dogmatic and complacent and the Sith bided their time until they were in a position to flip the whole galactic table.

That's the background for the story of the rise and fall of the empire and the fall and rise of the Jedi by way of the fall and rise of the Skywalkers, whom the story is really about.

I don't understand what's missing here.
>>
>>63765687
>things happen for reasons

>how can you defend this
>>
>>63765497
the republic had started to fall apart during bane's era, even before the sith made their way into political power.
>>
File: dark-helmet-spaceballs-5795.jpg (218 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dark-helmet-spaceballs-5795.jpg
218 KB, 1920x1080
>>63764073
Is Kylo Ren a homage to Dark Helmet?
>>
>calling your villain "Snoke"
I would prefer Darth Icky to be honest with you family
>>
>>63765687
If a wall has a crack in it and someone takes a hammer to the wall, it will fall quicker. If the crack is left, it will fall but it will take a much longer time.
The Sith were just exploiting an already weak point in the Republic and it was just a matter of time before it collapsed in on itself.

The Trade Federation were already pissed off by the Republic's taxing policies as were the Banking Clan and Techno-Union who were some of the most powerful guilds in the Republic. All the Sith did was motivate them into working together.

Then there's the corruption that was already rife in the Senate. Chancellor Valorum was weak willed and gave into bribes and such but he wasn't part of the Sith plan. He was even killed by Palpatine after he had left his Term.
>>
Does anyone have a pic of BB-8's thumbs up?
>>
>>63765705
What bugs me is the prequels tried to show how the empire formed from an existent power structure, but at the same time the flip from republic to empire happened entirely because one evil guy did it.

There was also no criticism of any sort of core hypocrisy of the philosophy of the jedi, even though this was examined in the OT. They were good and well meaning and then an evil person killed them all. The republic couldn't protect it's own nations from a trading company because reasons, but something like naboo had never happened before because there weren't any evil people to cause it.

The OT was no where near as black and white. Yoda telling luke he had to let his friends die in empire, han shooting first, twice, lando, etc. There were all these little contradictions to the straight good and evil narrative that was on the highest surface level, but then the prequels were all perfectly black and white, with no questioning or introspection from any character at any time. Which is excused by sheev just being that good at controlling people.
>>
>>63763061

Nah EP 2 had that speeder chase on coruscant at the beginning, the huge battle at the end and jango vs obi wans space battle.

It's just the middle section of ep 2 being shit, the beginning and ending is awesome.
>>
Metacritic of all the Star Wars movies, based only off professional reviews from the year they were released:

Star Wars - 92
Empire Strikes Back - 79
Return of the Jedi - 52

The Phantom Menace - 51
Attack of the Clones - 54
Revenge of the Sith - 68

The Force Awakens - 81
You can meme all day about how fans praised phantom menace when It came out, because they did, because they're fans, and fans are retarded

But at the end of the day the only reviews that matter are the professional ones and your notion that TPM got good reviews from professionals is just not true.
>>
>>63766048
See
>>63765918
>>
>>63766048
Even the manipulation force techniques sheev used were poorly explained as well as differences in the force.

It's not even explained that Windu can use both light and dark side. The fights Sheev has in the third movie were both too short and underwhelming with little explanation as to why things happen.
>>
>>63763061
>Good things about Episode II:
the Seismic Charge is worth mentioning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2CW6wshMGs
>>
Phantom Menace was unironically better than TFA.
>>
>>63766185
The force awakens is more like 40-50.

Why would I watch movie 7 over movie 4? Its the same plott, with just character names switched around.
>>
>>63766305
>>The force awakens is more like 40-50.

Well that's your opinion

Maybe If you were a professional reviewer you could put that up and bring the average down
>>
>>63766048
The Difference between the Jedi and the Sith is pretty black and white though and that's mostly what the prequels focus on. You don't have as many gray characters but the Jedi are definitely portrayed as hypocrites, especially Obi-Wan.

I mean the most right Jedi in the series until Luke is Qui-Gon and he butted heads with the other Jedi including his apprentice.
>>
Coming from a guy who loved all of the originals and thought 1-3 were pretty much shit save a few choice scenes.. This one was great. The special effects were incredible, worth seeing on that alone. The story IMO is perfect, not too much bullshit, bring back original character, HAN IS PERFECT.
Just see it t bh. Forget what you thought it might be like. Go in with an open mind and you'll find it's exactly what episode VII should be. It's perfect.
>>
>>63762217
>People are only pretending SW:FA is good
>I a few months people will come back to there senses
>SW:FA will be known as garbage in a few months

That is the impression that I get too.
>>
RETURN OF THE JEDI GOT A FUCKING 52??!?!?
>>
>>63766357
>People are only pretending SW:FA is good
>All of these people apart from contrarian /tv/ are pretending for no reason whatsoever that a film is good
Sure, kid.
>>
>>63762813
is that the cunt without a mouth?
>>
>>63765558

I'd rate 3 above 1, 2 and 6

It's Star Wars. It's cheesy but at least 3 kept a pretty much non-stop pace with battles/duels

The less time I have to see Anakin and Padme and the more time I have to see people fighting and DO IT the better
>>
>>63766354
Before the prequels, the difference between the light side and the dark side, was, basically, the fable of the sun and the wind.

The prequels didn't really add anything to this, and actually took steps to undermine it by just making the sith pure evil and, in anakin's case, extremely stupid.
>>
>>63766510
The only reason anyone gives 3 the time of day is because it wasn't 2.
>>
File: 1440299823334.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1440299823334.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>63765558
>Episode 1 above anything
This is a new low, even for contrarians.
>>
>>63766185
year isn't over yet fampai
the non-paid reviews are just beginning
>>
>>63766403
Empire Strikes back less than a New Hope
Losing hope in humanity
>>
>>63766511
You know the dark side of the Force and the Sith aren't the same thing right? The Sith are just a religion like the Jedi.
>>
>>63766567
Disney will probably keep generating single-review blogs to keep the scores above 80 on metacritic and 90 on RT for at least the next month.
>>
>>63766510
>3 better than any of the prequels
love this "RLM got slightly popular and was at one point mentioned on /tv/ a lot so they're totally wrong now" meme
>>
>>63766511
The prequels show that the Sith and Jedi are just two sides of one coin. The Jedi kidnap children to indoctrinate into becoming warriors and the Sith are really extreme in their methods too. They both see things as The Light is bad or the Dark is bad when really the Dark and Light are just part of one thing. Kinda like Yin and Yang making up Yinyang.
>>
>>63766567
That score is based on 51 reviews

Jurassic World, the biggest movie of the year thus far only got 49 reviews on metacritic

I doubt it will get many more reviews.
>>
>>63766596
Sounds like you're venturing into EU material. As the prequels didn't really differentiate from the sith and the dark side.
>>
>>63762217
Lucas didn't direct Empire, ROTJ or the force awakens. This is not a coincidence. New hope was only saved in editing
>>
>>63766591
That's cause you're a meme lord. ANH is the perfect adventure movie. Empire is really good technically but the story hinges too much on Jedi to be the best on it's own.
>>
>>63766613
>and the Sith are really extreme in their methods too
We didn't see any of this, though.
>>
>>63766591
Empire ends on several cliffhangers, people naturally would have been less receptive when It was released at the movies
>>
>>63766613
When I hear "extreme", the last thing I think of is a balding politician in a dress putting on a bathrobe with a hood and bossing people around
>>
>>63766667
Starting a war and wiping out an entire group including the children isn't extreme?
>>
>>63766703
There was also the novelty issue. As a lot of the franchises novelty wore off for most people as soon as the credits rolled on star wars.
>>
>>63766632
Uh, no? The Sith use the dark side of the Force but so can a Jedi. It's part of the Force. Sith is an ideology. This is made pretty fucking clear in the movies, I don't know how you could miss it.
>>
>>63766721
That was just one guy, not an entire religion...

which is basically my entire problem with the prequels.
>>
>>63766656
ANH, is not the perfect adventure movie, Lost Ark is
>>
>>63766721
>>63766765
it isn't a story the muslims would tell you
>>
File: 1409722181736.png (545 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1409722181736.png
545 KB, 640x640
>The applause at the end of the film lasted quite awhile, and for good reason.
>>
>>63766757
I'm kinda deaf to characters in movies just straight telling me things, in dialogue. If I'm not shown something, I don't believe it.
>>
>>63766773
I really can't argue with this
>>
Obi Wan vs General Grievous > Obi Wan vs Darth Maul > Obi Wan vs Anakin
>>
>>63766765
When that one person is the last of the religion he becomes representative of it.
The excuse of #notallsith doesn't work.
>>
gifs of people standing around Lucas looking worried as hes ruining the movies in front of them please
>>
>>63766811
no one can
>>
>>63766804
Well that's all well and good but film is an audiovisual medium now so the audio parts are still valid as evidence.
>>
>>63764369
Well, she did kiss his forehead at the end, but other than that all the "romance" was body language.
>>
>>63766240
It's got a super cool sound, but space is a vacuum. There's no medium for there to be a shockwave.
>>
>>63763061
>Owen holding Luke to the sun set was a perfect ending
That shit gave me chills to be honest.
>>
>>63764974
If you don't consider Americans white why are you complaining? Hamill, Fisher and Ford are all American, Star Wars never had your definition of whites in the first place.
>>
>>63766344
Professional reviewers said Phantom Menace was a masterpiece day one so...
>>
>>63767188
except they literally didn't do you even know how metacritic works
>>
>>63767218
please click the link in the OP to eat your own lieing shit here let me help you http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/reviews?filter=chrono;filter=chrono;start=3520
>>
>>63763061
>Duel of the Fates
Nigga you best be talking about the score. The duel itself was literally meme-tier, made even worse by the fact that the people who like it think the duels in the Originals are "boring".

You are correct about Clones, though. Literally the worst of the six, I would rather watch Hobbit 3 on loop Clockwork Orange-style than watch clones sober once.

>The only Star Wars movie worth shitting on is Episode II

This just isn't true. Only good things about I is Fates score and the fact that so many of the alien characters are easy to mock. Not worse than Clones, one of the worst things ever seriously put to film, but still god awful.
>>
>>63766861
No, hes still just one guy.

I'd liked to have seen or known exactly why the sith were exterminated, what warranted that level of extreme action, and what made kidnapping children and handing them deadly weapons was an acceptable practice, and why all emotion was viewed as evil, when you've got mace windu sitting around as proof that not all dark side users are sith.

Or, even better, just don't do the sith at all. Have the jedi council engineer the cause of their own downfall by, actively, in the prequels, hunting down and exterminating any non-jedi, non-infant, force sensitive person. Have them actively putting all their jedi in situations of extreme emotional stress and executing any that don't sail through like complete robots. Have obi-wan be a company man, then put him in a position where he has valid cause to doubt the validity of the council's actions, then make him choose between anakin's life and loyalty to the council. Then put him in contact with a leader of a sort of underground railroad for the hunted force-sensitive, have them be a resistance force against the jedi, who are either mad or getting there, have the clone wars be between this group, who needs to build an army quickly, and the republic. Have the resistance win, and have the leader of the resistance be palpatine. Have him lay bare what the jedi council has been up to these last few centuries and send the leadership into hiding, then reveal the jedi were right, and now shit is fucked, and we've got an empire. Give yoda a decent reason to act as the crazy old man (regret), give him an internal conflict about how the council trained jedi and how he couldn't just expect luke to be something other than human.

or just anything other than "sheev did it."
>>
>>63767401
I like it and I don't think that. Nothing tops the ESB and Jedi duels.

You guys really exaggerate how bad these movies are though. I can think the OT is great with the PT being less than great but not horrible. But people act like if you find anything to like in the PT you're the enemy and you don't get it. Well no, I still think the OT is better. We still like the same damn movies. I just don't hate the other three like they killed my family.
>>
>>63767647
Who says Mace windu uses the dark side?
>>
>>63767647
they killed each other for power dumbass
stop trying so hard to pretend sith is a religion of peace
what the fuck
>>
Reviewers are a paid part of the marketing budget.

Have you fucks on /tv/ not realized that by now?

So much for being patrician.
>>
>>63767647
Well I don't know what to say except that I'm sorry you didn't get a totally different movie?
>>
>>63767908
Nah, that could've been about the same basic movie. Except, ya know, actual dialogue, events, shit like that.
>>
>>63762875
>in the end, it's just another JJ Abrams film.
And that's FINE. The movie was just FINE. Nobody asked for it to be some Oscar worthy masterpiece, even A New Hope is just, if not more simple. They just wanted it to be better than the prequels, and it is.

I'm waiting for Rian Johnson to make a hopefully better sequel, though.
>>
File: 1430780682761.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1430780682761.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>63762403
>>
>>63768197
>They just wanted it to be better than the prequels

I don't think its possible for it to be worse than the prequels.
>>
>>63768100
You can dislike it but you can't ignore it just because you didn't pay attention. The plot is there and in this kind of fantasy story there is more than enough depth on paper for the themes that are actually important. There's nothing wrong with Palpatine being the brains and Anakin being the lynchpin.
>>
>>63768278
My complaint is in service to the same plot, there are a limitless number of better roads to have taken to reach the same destinations. The broad strokes are the only acceptable aspects of the prequels, and they're only really visible now due to time and distance. As we don't have jarjar meesa'ing or boss nash spitting all over the place.
>>
>>63768421
>there are a limitless number of better roads to have taken to reach the same destinations.
I can't agree more. Just imagine how better TFA would be if they did simple things such as hold off for Kylo's reveal (both face and identity) until his "heart to heart" with his father.
>>
File: 1449771447724.jpg (55 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1449771447724.jpg
55 KB, 1080x720
>>63763061
>Good things about Episode II:
>didn't include the death sticks scene
>or the speed chase
>>
File: Obit-Roger-Ebert_Bing.jpg (367 KB, 3000x2044) Image search: [Google]
Obit-Roger-Ebert_Bing.jpg
367 KB, 3000x2044
>>63766444
Close. Dead cunt without a jaw.
>>
>>63768421
You can't hate something for not being something else.
>>
>>63768872
You totally can..
>>
>>63763144
way too much
>>
>>63768547
pupinia <3
>>
>>63768954
Can't stop ya
>>
>>63765456
You sound jealous you racist piece of trash. Americans have many races, and there are many varieties of "white" people that are very different ethnically and culturally.

You'll always be a pig.
>>
>>63764471
You're pretty retarded if you don't think TPM by itself is shit as fuck.

Riddled with plotholes, bad acting, bad dialogue, bad script etc etc.
>>
>>63766356
How can another Death Star and another hero dreaming of a bigger destiny but stuck on a desert planet be "perfect?"

God you just really sound retarded like you have no concept of story or taste at all.
>>
>>63766440
This entire thread has shown you exactly how and why that happens, frequently.

Denial, motherfucker, you are in it.
>>
>>63769650
I guess all the fun I had watching was fake. I guess my eyes watering during the part after Rey's vision was just really good acting on my part. No you're right. I hated the film, because I, like everybody else on the internet, am an intelligent, tasteful, discerning critic, and therefore hate absolutely everything that gets made.
>>
>>63763594
This. But don't bother talking to these people. They just want to nitpick at anything they can because they HAVE to hate everything because of how smart and unlike the common herd they are.
>>
>>63763352
>Lifelike Characters
>>
>>63769804
Hi there, reddit!
>>
>>63768872
>>63768954
Especially if the "something else" was hinted at by the rest of the franchise.
>>
>>63770013
>anyone who doesn't like heavily marketed things is doing so to feel smart

eh?
>>
>>63768200

What's its competition?

>Episode II: Hayden Christensen's horrible acting and Jengo "The Jobber" Fett
>Episode III: SET UPS

Episode I was a good, self-contained story that wasn't so far up its ass with the Star Wars mythos, which is even more impressive considering Anakin was introduced in this movie.
>>
>>63770132
Such as?
>>
>>63770013
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people complaining are only complaining about surface level shit. Yes, the film's basic plot is that of A New Hope. And? A New Hope wasn't just the sum of its parts, and The Force Awakens isn't either.
>>
>>63770209
The OT wasn't an entirely black and white narrative. So the prequels being an entirely black and white narrative was a departure from the OT.
>>
>>63764426
Fuck, that pissed me off so much. She did sweet FA for the whole movie and betrayed everything she stood for just because some nog pointed a gun at her.
>>
>>63767761

Personally, I like the PT just fine, I just hate the fuck out of II.

I also dislike III, but that's mainly because it feels like the culmination of the PT as not individual films but a method of explaining shit in the OT and the overuse of dramatic irony.

Episode I felt like the only authentic film in the bit.
>>
>>63764974
WHITE PIG GO HOME
>>
>>63770384
The only way I can understand praise of episode 1 would be people forgetting jarjar, jake lloyd, and all the rest of the shit in that movie.
>>
>>63770325
What is this epic new form of shitposting?
>>
>>63770061
I imagine the CGI looked realer than real life 20-whatever years ago.
>>
>>63770486
So you just forgot how yoda was telling luke to let his friends die, because his training was more important.
>>
>>63770505
... no
>>
>>63763061
>Ian McDiarmid as Palpetine
Only good part about the entire prequels tbqh
>>
>>63770474

>Jar Jar

Upon rewatching the film a few times, I realized that as stupid and useless as Jar Jar is, he never really DID anything other than be stupid. His antics don't take up that much of the plot and honestly, if we didn't have him we'd have to deal with 3PO or some shit instead. I don't like Jar Jar at all, but he didn't really ruin the movie for me.

>Jake Lloyd

Considering who Anakin was played by later, I'd prefer a child that can't act over an adult that can't. It helps that little Anakin was written better and actually much less of a crybaby than he would become later.
>>
>>63770195
Yep. You're so smart for seeing through the marketing. Because the film was heavily marketed, that means it must automatically be shit, and you must hate it, because you're nothing like the plebeian masses who eat up all the marketing. You're intelligent. You see what most people don't see.
>>
>>63770624
>look at me, I'm so contrarian I'm being contrary to the contrarians and ending up right back at the status quo, except I'm angry too!

>>
>>63770719
That's exactly what I'm doing. It's impossible for a person to genuinely enjoy a popular movie.
>>
>>63770617
>the plot
so you're basically admitting you're dividing/excusing the shit in the prequels from the stuff you like. Jarjar wasn't that bad, jake lloyd was better than christensen, etc.

Yes, the plot was okay. The broad strokes were nice. The characters, actors, dialogue, and writing in general were awful, and in desperate need of anyone else to come in and redo entirely, so the plot and broad strokes could be serviced.
>>
>>63770524
Do you remember when Anakin killed the sand people? His story is a fall. An the Jedi aren't portrayed as perfect either.
>>
>>63770829
I really don't understand where all this passive-aggressiveness is coming from.
>>
>>63763347
I actually thought it was his way of flicking him off.
>>
>>63769804
>> eyes watering
>> SpaceShit movie
Urafag bro
>>
>>63770855

All I'm saying is that while Episode II couldn't decide what the fuck it wanted to do with its time and Episode III spent 2 hours setting up for New Hope, Episode I told its own damn story and didn't completely shit the bed.

I didn't say it was perfect, I just said I like it. I do agree with you the writing was shit. But Star Wars isn't very well written to begin with.
>>
>>63770889
it's exploding at full force out of the end of my penis

>>63770922
ur a fag bro
ur gay af
im totally cringing rn
>>
>>63770624

>Surely THIS 80s reboot won't be shit! Better go into this open minded and optimistic despite everything about it being a huge red flag for mediocrity!

Johnny... we're worried...
>>
>>63770951
>But Star Wars isn't very well written to begin with.
ANH and empire were extremely well written.
>>
>>63771022
i went into it with low expectations honestly but then i think my own thoughts so im capable of changing my mind instead of deciding i hate something before i see it and rigidly sticking to that preformed opinion no matter what
>>
>>63770624
Listen. After a certain amount of experience, heavy marketing like this doesn't instil confidence. It instills worry/concern. It's not about feeling smart for seeing through anything, its about engaging in critical thought. About not blindly accepting the aggressively pushed narrative, as that level of aggressiveness isn't employed with products that can stand without it.
>>
>>63765558

5=4>6=7>>>>>1>3>2
>>
>>63763341
yes
also good lord how this movie is over hyped its nothing new
>>
>>63771179
I watched one fucking trailer anon. I expected it to be typical Abrams schlock. I enjoyed the film.

I. Enjoyed. The. Film.
>>
>>63770199
The only real big problems EP I had was Jar Jar, Midichlorians and casting Anakin way too young.

Flaws included it at least felt like a Star Wars movie. Ep II and III felt like video game CGI crapfests, amplifying the problems in EP I as if they were ran through an echo chamber.
>>
>>63771167

Don't even try and pull that shit on me, faggot. My are opinions are so malleable they're practically liquid- as long as the facts back it up. Fact is, I'm never going to put money up-front for a rehash cash cow that doesn't even need to be good to profit. Use your mind nigga. Download that shit in the future. You literally just told me you "think with your own mind" yet you partook in the latest automaton media ritual willingly.

Close the Myers Brigg shit in your tabs and use the shift key should you choose to respond please.
>>
>>63771357

Agree with this 100%. I'd almost say TPM is the best of the prequels.
>>
Seriously, everyone was clapping in the theater to this shit. They all want to believe
>>
>>63771536
may the thickest and stinkiest of diarrhea coated penises force its way down your neck
>>
6 = 3 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>> garbage >>>>>> 7

Even Jar Jar is better than the nigger and BB8. Hated the new movie, i left cinema before the ending.
>>
File: 1445004137465 (1).png (314 KB, 528x527) Image search: [Google]
1445004137465 (1).png
314 KB, 528x527
>>63762217
I thought the phantom menace sucked but i did like return of the sith
>>
>>63763379
To be fair
The tits on a young natalie portman was worth the price of a movie ticket
>>
>>63768197
JJ fucking calm down and go back to Reddit. People are fine with the movie it's just not going to be remembered and loved in any way. It's okay you tried and it wasn't horrible.
>>
>>63770617
Iif you find reviews from when the phantom menace came out
All the reviewers claimed that kid was an amazing actor and he would be a big star In the future
>>
>>63762217
>>Faith Restored
Was faith ever lost before Ep 1? It was just rehashing the same characters for toys for decades.
>>
>wasting most badass looking villain in the first episode
>not building up tension for a obi-wan v darth maul revenge battle in later episode

like poetry
>>
File: hNuNz9V.png (49 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
hNuNz9V.png
49 KB, 500x599
>most "fans" are just millennials that spew the "le prequels don't exist" meme
>hating the choreographed fight in TPM, hating the ObiWan v Jango, finding the interesting politics behind the formation of the empire boring

AAAAAAAAARRRGHHHH fuck star wars fans fuckfuckfuckfuck
>>
File: iHsLVUO83iaTtdPSs2f0.gif (2 MB, 517x349) Image search: [Google]
iHsLVUO83iaTtdPSs2f0.gif
2 MB, 517x349
lol
>>
File: miss me.jpg (73 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
miss me.jpg
73 KB, 630x630
>>63773198
Disney plans to milk Star Wars until it's tits dry up. The prequels still had Lucas, at least, and the day will come when Jar Jar will be but a footnote to the horror to come.
>>
>>63764293
battle of geonosis was fucking ugly to look at though, nothing but puke brown covered the whole screen.
>>
>>63773423
It got cluttered in some places but it was pretty cool to watch the events transpire.

>arena execution
>fucking around with the geonosians
>jedi task force and droid army
>clones come in, shit's all fucked up

I wish that we saw more of the clones in action (as well as actual people and not CGI). Their armor style was my favorite over the third movie.
>>
File: 1378323870392.jpg (76 KB, 640x606) Image search: [Google]
1378323870392.jpg
76 KB, 640x606
>>63773198
>Facebook page filled with people freaking out because they got the movie spoiled and it has jar jar in it.

This shit eaters will be smug about anything while understanding nothing.
>>
>>63773198
the phantom menace fight is still the best fight in the entire franchise
>>
>>63774140
was cool to see their training in the behind the scenes footage
>>
>>63773198

>Interesting politics

Every retard in the galaxy giving Palpatine more and more power and enjoying it when he converts the government into an empire isn't intriguing politics. It's background noise.
>>
>>63773423

Genosis is one of the weakest finales in the series, if not THE weakest. Too much shit happening at once and the face off with Dooku was completely devoid of tension.
>>
>>63766185
Professional reviewers typically enjoy a certain type of film with a certain tone.

Scott pilgrim and Pacific rim didn't get good professional reviews but are still fantastic movies for what they set out to do.
>>
File: 1450296611599.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450296611599.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
4>6>3=5>1>2>7

It's irrefutable
>>
File: hellodarknessmyoldech.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hellodarknessmyoldech.jpg
151 KB, 1280x720
Phantom Menace is my favorite prequel tbqh famiry
>>
>>63774657
I personally disagree but that's a respectable opinion and I understand why you'd say thag. I just love ROTS Ewan McGregor too much
>>
>>63774620
>4>6>3=5>1>2>7
You got the last two wrong, anon.
4>6>3=5>1>7>2
>>
>>63774657

Any opinion with Attack of the Clones dead last is a valid one.
>>
>>63762403
it's much better and darker than the previous films.
>>
>>63763061
>Episode II:

the premise of having a detective story in a Star Wars film was also very good and could definitely have worked with the correct execution. it was a solid, fresh concept.
>>
>>63774691
I can respect that. Both are pretty dogshit IMO, the I can still watch TPM and have a decently good time.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.