[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the definition of a Mary Sue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 14
File: des1070_jpeg_4k_pub_1dc59ce6.jpg (250 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
des1070_jpeg_4k_pub_1dc59ce6.jpg
250 KB, 768x431
Is this the definition of a Mary Sue?
>>
More like an example.
>>
why do you even care?
>>
Since the movie itself lacked memes is this the new meme that /tv/'s going to force?
>>
>>63758339
Memes will emerge but we need high res screen caps to do it properly. Have to wait a while.

>>63758089
No, just a very strong example.
>>
>>63758315

oooh JJ's getting mad now..
>>
For the time being, yes. It's likely her powers will be explained in some way. Depending on the explanation, we'll see how things change. But for now, total Mary Sue.
>>
Aren't all the characters self-inserts for the originals, though? Why single her out as the Mary Sue?
>>
>>63758089
Best pilot, best Jedi.. Best mary sue
>>
>>63759290
Finn doesn't accomplish much and Poe's abilities have a justification. Rey is far and away better at almost everything than the other characters (even than Han at some things) but there's no explanation for it. I'm assuming she was trained but her memories were wiped or something.
>>
>>63759244

i might be a jew somewhere down the line, who knows? LOL
>>
>>63758089
Only thing Mary sue is her being able to pilot the falcon so well first up.

Her fighting and engineering skills come from growing up as a scavenger. In the fight with kylo he was already badly injured and physically and emotionally exhausted plus he wasn't trying to kill her.
>>
she's qt as fuck, has a nice ass, and she has godlike powers.

rey is truly best girl
>>
>>63759341
>be orphan
>somehow fly Falcon better than professional military pilots
>more knowledgeable about the Falcon than Han
>able to defeat Kylo in a jedi mind battle
>able to jedi mindtrick a stormtrooper without any guidance
>able to overpower Kylo in force powers without training (force pulling the lightsaber), never mind the fact that Luke struggled to do this in ESB
>better with a saber than Kylo without any training

why are people defending this?
>>
>>63759429
Fighting with a stick doesn't teach you to fight with a sword. Fighting random scavengers in a desert is very different from dueling a trained Jedi/Sith/whatever.

Kylo was shot but still moved just fine, and even then he shouldn't have that much trouble against two beginners. Vader wasn't trying to kill Luke either, but he only got a small scratch on himself. Rey easily beat Ren.
>>
>>63759533
She must have had some kind of guidance/training in the past. There is no way she could ever figure out the jedi mindtrick without someone telling her about it. There's something about her past we don't know, when she touched the lightsaber.
>>
>>63758089
>>63759274
>>63759304
>>63759533
>>63759571

haters just need to accept that rey BTFOs their old and busted fuccboi jedi that there is LITERALLY nothing wrong with her being better than them except for your misogyny
>>
>literally grows up as an orphan in extreme poverty
>not fucking hideous to look at and practically crippled at the same time
>>
>>63759539
Take the world's best sword fighter shoot him in the gut then stab his master shoulder and see how well he fights after the adrenaline wears off.
>>
>>63759539
i like how they fit it into the story that Vader is a recognised absolute master that no one else can beat. After that it kind of permits the fact that Kylo is a noob

need to go watch vader's effortless duels now
>>
>>63759839
He was still moving just fine. He showed no real signs of struggle or pain. In fact he punched himself so it'd hurt more. If there was an indication, something in the choreography maybe, showing that he's struggling to fight, maybe. But he was fighting exactly like before when he wasn't wounded.
>>
>>63759700

anita detected
>>
>>63759462

I was pleasantly surprised by how attractive I found her in the film, considering she sometimes photographs terribly. She's videogenic.
>>
>>63759918
We never see him fight another lightsaber user so we've got nothing to compare the fight against. Kylo not showing signs of pain during the fight is a fault with choreographer but they repeatedly establish that he's nowhere close to 100%.
>>
Yes
She literally BTFO'd Kylo Ren
>>
You know I'm surprised it isn't more obvious, but with her being so Mary Sue, it's more then likely she will become a sith next movie.
>>
>>63760572
My prediction is that she will fuck kylo up in the next movie, leaving him in the care of luke. She will then think shes hot shit and take on plageuis but plageuis will mind rape her and break her and she will become dark.

Movie 3 Kylo redeems himself by sacrificing himself to save her because he is her cousin.

bravo another anemic plot for the Star Wars Cinematic Universe!
>>
File: shia.gif (3 MB, 399x265) Image search: [Google]
shia.gif
3 MB, 399x265
>>63758089
>great scavenger
>great pilot
>great force user
>great lightsaber user
>is attractive
>everyone loves her
>everything goes her way

yeah probably
>>
>>63760644

i would actually like that desu
>>
>>63759533
>Natural savant with technology
>Able to use force abilites with minimal guidance
>Naturally excellent pilot

She might be a Mary Sue, but she's also clearly a Skywalker - being Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's is their shtick.
>>
File: 1443055990060.jpg (8 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1443055990060.jpg
8 KB, 250x241
>>63759244
>>63759533
>>63759700
>>63760644
>>63761266

Impressive, very nice.
>>
i wanna see rey fight with a saberstaff.
>>
>>63761126
>literally me watching it last night
i was praying for a shootout
>>
I enjoyed the film. I didn't enjoy Rey.

I hope they fix her in the next film, maybe tone down here good-at-everything meter. It got tiresome near the end
>>
>>63759533
>touches luke's lightsaber and gets a flood of memories
>is inexplicably an orphan
>r2-d2 wakes up when she's nearby
>is inexplicably skilled at everything

How thick do you have to be to not see the explanation and complain about it? People keep dumbing down movies for people like you.
>>
>>63761457
Also, did anybody complain about this stuff in the original trilogy? It's been a long time since I've seen it, but how much training did Luke have before he did his trench run and beat Vader? Wasn't he some dirt farmer?
>>
>>63761457
We get it, shes Luke's kid. Who grew up an orphan. Who can pilot the Falcon like a fucking pro.

Go back to /co/ faggot.
>>
>>63761361
luke was shit at using all but the most basic force abilities in ANH and ESB
>>
>>63761528
He spent his free time on tattoine shooting at rats in his jet. He had guidance from obiwan on the force. He his great feat was shooting the photon torpedo without computer guidance, he wasn't really a hotshot pilot at all.
>>
>>63761548
Fuck off back to /b/ fagtron.
>>
>>63761528
Luke never beat Vader.
>>
>>63761548

why would luke abandon his daughter?

after his own orphan issues you'de think he'd be especially concerned for her..
>>
>>63761548
She's not going to be Luke's kid.
>>
>>63761630
He abandoned the entire galaxy. It's clear Luke's character got butchered.
>>
>>63761528

the mary sue thing hadn't been done to fucking death yet..
>>
>>63761582
>Guides a pair of photon torpedos into a very small hole while still flying a stub fighter.
>Immediately starts blocking blaster bolts from the training orb once he buts on the blinder
>Is able to sense things

Rey is just power creep down the generations. The flying and fixing shit are definitive Skywalker traits - even Leia is shown to be able to fly ships out of fucking nowhere.
>>
>>63759462

JJIDF please go.

She has no tits!
>>
File: Prep_the_bull.gif (4 MB, 661x340) Image search: [Google]
Prep_the_bull.gif
4 MB, 661x340
>>63760256
dude, no spoilers some of us are actually planning on seeing this
>>
>>63761658
There was no Mary Sue in the originals. The hero training hard to win, not even defeating the big bad guy himself, doesn't make Luke a Mary Sue in the slightest.
>>
>>63758339
TAKE OFF THAT MASK
>>
>>63761752

if he takes it off, does his character depth die?
>>
>>63761670
compare luke's movements with the saber to rey fucking kylo up and tell me theyre on the same level.
>>
It was cringeworthy how hard they tried to hammer down the fact that she's a strong womyn who don't need no man

>STOP HOLDING MUH HAND
>>
>>63761670
those are basic force abilities. pilot skill, guiding the torpedo, blocking blaster bolts

the younglings in the prequels could do all that shit

what they couldn't do is mind-trick people and use force telekinesis and toss people around with the force and fight competently with a lightsaber with no training.

luke still struggled with vader in ROTJ in lightsaber combat. sure kylo is no vader but he should be well beyond rey's skill level no matter how strong her force potential is.
>>
>>63761528
OT takes 4 years. Luke never beat Vader in any of the movies.
>>
>>63761743
Plus Luke didn't defeat Vader in the first movie, unlike Rey dfeated Ren.
>>
>>63761806
Yeah, it wasn't even a close fight. Vader was toying with Luke, trying to piss him off since anger leads to the dark side. Luke got one lucky hit in, but otherwise was completely outmatched the entire time.
>>
>>63758089
I really want them to explain why she was so powerful and knew how to use jedi powers in the sequels.

They won't
>>
does nobody remember luke going from farmer to ace pilot who destroys the death star in the span of a week
>>
>>63761771
She does more, but it's still standard Skywalker bullshit.

I'm not saying she's not a Mary Sue, just that it's the next advancement of the usual Skywalker bullshit.
>>
>>63761887

i'm saying back then mary sue was a new idea

but now its been fucking done to death you have to be a fucking 1st year film student to think its a good idea
>>
>>63761887
Luke was a decent pilot, not a brilliant one. His only moment was greatness was making the shot on the death star. The film also doesn't shy away from the fact he's a decent pilot. When it comes to literally everything else. Rey, on the other hand, is not just good at everything she does in the film, she's the best. Yawn.
>>
>>63761771
If ANH was made in 2015, he'd be pulling the same shit. It's more of a sign of the times than anything else.

Same reason why Obi-Wan and Darth Vader's lightsaber fight was poking each other.
>>
>>63758089
There is no definition of Mary Sue anymore.
>>
>>63761887
That's still nothing compared to everything Rey does. Luke gets one good shot in by being a natural at piloting. Rey is a natural at everything.
>>
>>63759539
>Kylo was moving fine
Dude what he was staggering all over the place and legit just flailing his lightsabre towards the end, he was quite obviously hurt bad. Still thought it was badass when he was punching his wound.
>>
>>63760644
Nuh next movie she's gonna go in all cocky and Kylo is gonna chop her hand off, I have a feeling they'll go full POTTERY on this.
Not that I'm complaining, I had a great time with all the references and throwbacks. Especially the lightsabre slightly wrigglin in the snow
>>
>>63761887
He was always a good pilot
>>
Yep best at everything from the start, even video game characters are less Mary-sue

Shit flick
>>
>>63762302
That was his fighting style to begin with, honestly. Even before getting wounded he was just flailing around.
>>
>>63762302
>>63762456

so he's like drunken fist?

trained by darth jar jar confirmed!
>>
>>63762456
wounded aside, i'm sure his stamina as a guy who was strong enough in the force to stop a bolt, would give him enough edge to out force Rey. But no, because Rey is Disney's knew princess they couldn't allow Frozen to be defrost.
>>
>>63761409
lets see Paul Allen's card
>>
>>63759429
Who knew all you had to do was rifle through garbage to be able to fly a space shuttle, I will alert the people of India.
>>
>>63763260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
>>
>>63758089
Yeah, but she's a good Mary Sue. Fun to live vicariously through her.

It's Luke Skywalker, but this time he's a girl! :3
>>
>>63762005
What was she the best at?

You can maybe argue her piloting skills are suspicious, but everything else has a decent explanation.

She only bested Kylo Ren because he had been shot with a fucking bowcaster minutes beforehand, as well as he was not trying to kill her.
>>
Reminder that the reason she is able to use Force powers and wield a lightsaber so effectively is because she is canon Revan.
>>
>>63761622
Fuck off with this retarded meme. He kicks Vader's ass in ROTJ
>>
>>63762021
I agree but that doesn't mean it was awful. How to fix Rey:

>delete millenium falcon scene or have poe fly
>more exposition to her about the force instead of ITS ALL TRUE
>her great achievement is resisting kylo's mind reading. She shows this on screen by closing her eyes and looking incredibly serene and "one" with the force instead of fucking WUB WUB and staring angrily at kylo
>the resistance attack starts earlier and kylo is sidetracked by solo, rey escapes after power outage / storm trooper goes to check on whats happening.
>during the final fight she struggles to defend herself but eventually gains the high ground, just as the earth splits away

there. Fixed. she is now believable.
>>
>>63763680
Give a decent explanation to:
>Knowing how to use jedi mindtricks out of nowhere
>Resisting Ren's mindreading and reading his mind instead
>>
>>63759539
>trained Jedi/Sith/whatever.

I got the overall feeling Kylo ain't really that much of a hotshot when it comes to fighting.
>>
>>63763260
In Star Wars piloting a starship is about as easy as driving a car.
>>
>>63763733
Not everything's a meme, anon. Vader never wants to kill Luke, he never fights Luke properly. He wants Luke to kill the Emperor, he wants to lose. He never has any motivation or reason to kill Luke or beat him in RotJ. Luke doesn't kill Vader or the Emperor in the end.
>>
>>63763759
She's naturally strong with the force. Just like many other people in the Star Wars universe before her. She may yet be revealed to be a descendant of someone important.
>>
>>63759533
Kylo Ren was shot from Chewie's laser crossbowshotgun thing. He was bleeding and was again wounded moments ago when he rekt Finn. AND he seemed to show some restraint because they were cousins.

It's still silly, but it's not THAT terrible. Still though, I would have made her do some force shit driven by emotions or something, not directly fight Ren and beating him, no matter the handicaps he had.
>>
>>63763829
He doesn't know they're cousins, if they are at all.
>>
>>63763646
But Luke wasn't a Mary sue. Even after training he still sucked at using the force and fighting. He got lucky blowing up the Death Star with guidance from obi wan, but other than that he wasn't shown to be particularly exceptional, even immature and brash.

You cannot fault try at all, she's really good at everything with no training or experience and has no personality flaws. Shes a perfect example of a Mary Sue.
>>
>>63758089
the real question here is...

IS SHE A DISNEY PRINCESS?!
>>
>>63763851
Not only obi wan. Han Solo saved his ass at the end when vader was about to shoot his ship.
>>
>>63759533
You're forgetting that Kylo and Luke are WHITE and MALES. So Ren, as a white female, is obviously far superior in every way to them. Also slightly better than a black male, but not as much as if she were she a black female.
>>
>>63763851
She believes Finn's stupid story about being a resistance fighter for way too long. She's gullible.
>>
>>63763823
It's heavily implied she's the daughter of Luke. However even Luke and Anakin had to train a lot in order to do things. Anakin was the chosen one and he had to train like mad. Rey being able to pull shit like this off is ridiculous. Also how would she ever figure out she can use jedi mindtricks? How did she somehow figure out ''oh hey I can persuade people to make them do whatever'' out of nowhere?
>>
>>63758089
no apparent flaws
everyone loves her for some reason
never needs help
good at everything

I'm surprised JJ had so little insight into how shitty he made her
Aside from the white knights and feminists I don't think anyone will like her
>>
>>63761126
This is based Shia watching his own movies, isn't it?
>>
>>63763905
Luke was stronger in the force than Anakin, Rey is yet even stronger than Luke.

or she's descended from Sheev
>>
Does the movie say how long Rey was on Jakku? Has it been since birth? Has it only been there for a recent time? I want to gauge how likely them pulling a Revan actually is. Did Revan have memories implanted? I can't remember.
>>
>>63762414
>gonna chop her hand off
god dammit no, there needs to be a limit to the potpourri
>>
>>63763979
who is this revan everybody's talking about and why is he a big deal. what happened to him in the EU?
>>
>>63761126
I'm okay with this. All her scenes were the best parts of the movie.

Also

>cute accent
>>
>>63763979
no revan had his mind wiped by the jedi after losing like a fuccboi to bastila. He starts remembering things and the council sends you on quests.

Rey has been on jakku since she was a child, you see her crying in one of her flashbacks
>>
>>63763972
>Luke was stronger in the force than Anakin

Debatable. Anakin had more midichlorians, as much as people hate those. Anakin never lost to Luke. Anakin was the chosen one, his father was literally the force.
>>
>>63763979
She scratches off the days, I'm sure someone will screencap and calculate it.
>>
>>63758089
>>63763913

Her flaws were shes too emotional to think rationally sometimes and she constantly needed assistance to get higher up the ladder in life. The Millenium Falcon was literally right there waiting for her to fly it and she says no I'm going to stay right here because I'm waiting for family forever while eating shitty mushroom handouts from whoever the fuck runs this shithole. She has to be pressured into doing the right thing, and her victories in the movie come at the expense of others.
>>
>>63763997
Revan is from Knights of the Old Republic. You play the game and hear constantly about how evil Revan was. He did so many horrible things and was generally one of the most ruthless Sith Lords. Plot twist is you the character are actually Revan and your mind was Force wiped by the Jedi, at which point you can then decide to go back to the Dark Side or continue down the Light Side.
>>
>>63764023
>Anakin never lost to Luke
He gets his ass handed to him in ROTJ
>>
>>63764023
I want to say there is a word of God (Lucas) that stated Luke had a higher midichlorian count.
>>
>>63764040
what the fuck are you on about. Finn is terrified of the First Order and it shows. Meanwhile, after being bombed and chased by Tie Fighters Rey shows more heroism than dindu and insists they continue their mission.
>>
Rey is so powerful in the force that it's going to become a plot point. She's going to turn to the dark side and be the big bad in the 3rd movie. But she'll be saved by Finn.
>>
>>63764066
Not really. And even then Anakin's old at that point, having lost most of his body, being in a bulky life support armor that limits his movements a lot. He couldn't even jump or run. Even then, the fight was very even, no one won in the end.
>>
>>63761126
>great scavenger
nigga she barely had any food because she was so awful

but the rest, i have to agree, was fucking bullshit
>>
Can we at least agree she is already a far better protagonist for her trilogy than Anakin in the prequels?
>>
>>63764090

Her life was basically scavenger on backwater shithole until Finn came along and lied constantly to get her to go. She wasn't even happy with that, but she couldn't be bothered to be anything more than that. She had to do a double take when she was about to trade in the BB-8 for a bunch of free happy meals.
>>
>>63758315
>why are you criticizing a film on a television and film board

Fucking redditors.
>>
The part with the jedi mind trick is the only thing that I really didn't buy. I guess I can buy her hearing it as a "Jedi myth" but it's just too perfect that she tries it and it works when she barely knows anything

Shoulda had Han mention it specifically or something
>>
>>63764149
agreed
>>
>>63764149
>generally likable protagonist is better that absolute garbage protagonist with no redeeming features at all

Shocking
>>
>>63763848
They totally are. Miopic orage alien girl said Luke's lightsaber was calling to her.

But even if she wasn't, Ren clearly saw something in her and was holding back.
>>
>>63764137
>the fight was very even, no one won in the end.

Are you fucking retarded?Luke holds himself back trying to redeem Vader, Vader taunts Luke using Leia, Luke gets pissed and beats the shit out of Vader, cuts off his hand and puts his saber at his throat.

There couldn't be a more decisive victory
>>
>>63764178

It shows that shes a prodigy with more potential than Luke. Its lore that full use of the force requires an open, willing mind; and she was constantly learning and evolving in her abilities throughout the movie. It was also hilarious.
>>
>>63763804
>Not everything's a meme, anon.
nigga do you even know where you are
>>
I thought Kylo Ren getting BTFO was retarded at first, but then Big Creepy Guy says Kylo has to "finish his training"

Made me think of Luke leaving Dagobah without his training complete, barely a Jedi. I think Kylo Ren is powerful but still fairly new at the Sith game.
>>
>>63764178
Rey is hiding a lot. I think we'll find out from her in the next movie she's been using the force to pull her little tricks for years.
>>
>>63764280
>I thought Kylo Ren getting BTFO was retarded at first, but then Big Creepy Guy says Kylo has to "finish his training"

He still had more training than Rey ever did though. So still retarded
>>
>>63764066
Even Luke felt Anakin being conflicted. In Empire, you saw when Anakin let go and everything was thrown at Luke. He even produced enough force pressure to blow Luke through a glass. Anakin was conflicted throughout. Luke sensed this. the only one in the dark was Sidious.
>>
Rey is obviously the daughter of Luke x Leia
Imagine all that midichlorian genetics being passed to a single child without having mixed with non-jedi like Anakin and Leia did?
The secret for producing better jedi is incest
>>
>>63764178
That was the moment i called bullshit on her character.
>>
>>63764358
And he was injured, and despite acting all cool, probably not in the best emotional state after doing the stabby stab in the previous scene.
>>
>>63764358
>He still had more training than Rey ever did though.

there's no way to confirm or deny this

its eluded to that she in fact did through the flashbacks from touching luke's lightsaber though
>>
>>63758089

SHE'S A MARY SUE!! YOU'RE A MARY SUE!!! I'M A MARY SUE!!!!!! WE'RE ALL MARY SUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No shut up.
>>
>>63764358
The nigga had been fucking SHOT. Shot in the guts!

He was trying not to kill a girl with a damn lightsaber coming at him. Cut the dude some slack.
>>
>>63764358

>duels with lightsaber
>freezes blaster bolt
>deflects blaster bolts
>force chokes
>force mind rapes
>force telekinesis
>still gets BTFO by a wookie, a stormtrooper, and a backwater scavenger

You can literally hear Sidious laughing from hell.
>>
>>63764149
But she's a mary sue. She's so fucking OP, until as a character she's boring. using Jedi Mind trick. a Jedi MASTER's ability, she's able to pull off because she's Disney's knew power Princess.
>>
>>63764358
Kylo Ren was wounded as fuck and was clearly holding back. You can see that when Rey does her retarded turnabout and wins.

I would have preferred they'd show Rey like shooting lightning or some shit in a moment of raw emotion and leaving Kylo Ren unconcious to this.

Finn holding up to him for a little while is justified because he was wounded and in the end Finn gets rekt'd as he should. That said though, I liked how they showed the Sith doing some really cool shit and at the same time they downplayed them a bit. Like they're not the anime invincible ninjas that the Jedi were in the prequels. Some imperials don't give two shits about him. He's clearly above the average soldier but it's not retardedly strong like the character from The Force Unleashed.
>>
>>63764406
>>63764410
>>63764415

Niggers, please

He can stop a fucking blaster shot in mid air.

This is bullshit and you know it

Also why the fuck didn't he paralyze Rey using the force like he had done in the previous fight?
>>
>>63764483
>he can stop a blaster shot in mid air
>so therefore he can't feel pain

Nigga wat?
>>
>>63764431
Jar Jar Abaums so fucked up this dude just so Disney's knew Princess could come off as the bad ass all Disney Princesses has to be in every film they're in. At least George Had Anakin and Obi Wan, smashed horribly by the second because of Dooku's might. But not Mary Sue who needs no man and can into force even more efficiently and awesomely than actual force users.
>>
>>63764483
He was shot and bleeding. He wasn't really at the top of his game. Still, he made short work of Finn pretty quickly.
>>
>>63764377
That wasn't force pressure - the room was pressurized. Once Vader broke the glass window, Luke got sucked through the vacuum. Even Vader himself had to hold on to something to prevent himself from getting sucked through the window as well.
>>
>>63764525

No, Kylo Ren is just a little pussy bitch. He has absolutely no trigger discipline and pumps himself on Sithroids.
>>
>>63764517
how much heat and exhaustion did Anakin and obiwan suffer while the two of them fought for the better part of a half hour over several miles.

how hot is lava point blank, 300 degrees, maybe less? these guys could suffer a fuck tonne of stresses that would kill a regular person a dozen times over.
>>
>>63764545

Finn only lost because he was a dueling novice with no force ability. For a normal person who only used a lightsaber once to shank a man, he did pretty damn good.
>>
>>63764580
>using the prequels as an example of anything besides how to fuck a franchise in the ass

Fuck off.
>>
>>63764483
But he didn't stop it, dumbass.
>>
>>63764600
>Blindly hating the prequels

Stop being a retard. The only problem about the prequels was the dialogue and some of the characters.
>>
>>63764548
vader smashed the glass after he created a force storm. which is why Luke was sucked outside.

>>63764566
he was written poorly so mary Sue could one shot him enough though she's an amateur who hadn't used the force at all.
>>
>>63764628
Kill yourself, George.
>>
>>63764481
Yeah, I think the lightsaber duels through this whole trilogy will be much more like the OT. A bit slower and methodical. The Lightsabers seemed a bit unwieldy.
>>
>>63764600
fuck off. the jedi and their powers are George Lucas' properties, and when he had them he defined the length and breadth of said abilities. He showed us two combatants in an active fucking vulcano, fighting for the better part of a half hour over many miles. The heat and stresses alone was fucking unblievable. A force user is strong enough to survive a bolt to the guts and a few glancing blows from a novice and have just enough to cluster fuck a never used the force before plebian. sadly, Mary Sue with plot armor up the ass was apparently the exception to this.
>>
>>63764665

Planets were great, environments were great, new spaceships were great, music was amazing, fighting scenes were amazing, Obi-Wan was fun, Emperor was great.
>>
>>63760644
This would be far better than whatever boring shit they come up with.
>>
>>63764566
>Kylo Ren is just a little pussy bitch.

He really is. He has a real bad case of bitch-ass punk-ass emo white boy face going on her
>>
>>63764729
>>63764734
Fuck off George.
>>
>>63764628
this, i actually love episode 1, great film and gets far too much hate.

does it have problems? a few but none that are actually that big. anakin you don't care for but he's a small child trying to act, and not just act, but act in Lucas's CGI filled sets where he had to pretend to see shit and react.

and yeah we all hate jar jar but i actually hate him less than ewoks, gungans as a whole are good foils.
>>
>>63764630

>he was poorly written

He was written well enough - complete with motivations, strengths, weaknesses, and ambitions. He is the second coming of Anakin Skywalker, which was the intention.
>>
>>63761771
Why does everyone keep forgetting that Kylo was literally bleeding out when they fought.
>>
>>63764597
He was a trained soldier, and he only held his ground for a bit. If Kylo Ren was in top shape he would have destroyed him.

Also I kinda like the idea that normal people can somewhat hold their own in a saber fight. After all it's just sword fighting. It was the prequels that pictures the Jedi as nigh invincible super ninjas.
>>
>>63764580

Those dudes were like power level 1,000,000 tho

Rey and Ren ain't even gone super saiyan yet
>>
>>63758089
Yes. Hope they turn her down for the sequel, GAWD, why feminism is so annoying
>>
>>63764734
I love how you don't mention the story, the dialogue or anything that actually fucking matters. Because they're shit.
>>
>>63764597
>Finn only lost because he was a dueling novice

Incorrect. He was a stormtroooper and the reason he has that little duel with the other stormtrooper is to demonstrate to the viewer he does have some melee weapons training.
>>
>>63764780

He was a trained marksman. He had zero idea how to duel with a melee weapon. He fought outside his specialty with no training and still took Kylo's arm.
>>
>>63759700
this is bait, but I'm taking it. She didn't needed to be the greatest pilot, the greates engineer, the greatest Jedi AND the greatest shot of all times to be a strong character. This just goes to show how insecure the screenwriters are at writing female characters.
>>
>>63764812
I did say the dialogue was terrible. Story was decent, nothing worth really talking about. It wasn't spectacular, but not terrible. It gave us a decent backstory and explained some things. I didn't mind, and it opened up a whole realm of new things for EU to work with. I know a lot of people don't enjoy it and call it fanfic, but I love a lot of the EU stuff.
>>
>>63764833

>some melee weapons training
>gets BTFO by an oversized tonfa

When he picked up a blaster, he one shot people left and right. Thats what he was trained to be good at.
>>
File: 1449557627639.gif (63 KB, 398x336) Image search: [Google]
1449557627639.gif
63 KB, 398x336
>the prequels are good

Reddit is here, abandon ship
>>
>>63764765
good come back goyer or goyim or whatever it is they refer to your type as.

>>63764775
NO, he was written as a red shirt to make Mary Sue look bad ass. girl power!

>>63764790
Ren was shown as an active force user, Rey wasn't but suddenly she's strong enough to resist his mind probe? Power Puff girls girl power!
>>
>>63764880
Story was garbage. Anakin/Padme romance makes no sense. Anakin's descent to the dark side makes no sense. No one seeing Sheev is obviously Lord Evil makes no sense. "Chosen One/Prophecy/balance to the force" shit is vague as fuck, yet integral to the plot.

Absolute shit in almost every respect, I'll give you world building and ship designs and that shit is good.
>>
>>63764933
>Rey wasn't but suddenly she's strong enough to resist his mind probe?

She's the chosenerest one, bruh. 4th generation Skywalker ain't one to fuck with.
>>
What is a Mary Sue?
>>
>>63759918
I think the punching was the indication. He was struggling to keep his body moving with the Force.
>>
>>63764898
Even bad movies have some redeeming qualities.
>>
>>63764933
Prequels are terrible, that Anakin/Obi Wan fight is terrible and drawn out, using it as an example for actually decent movies is retarded.

Almost every movie does the "somehow stands by lava without dying" shit. It's nothing to do with Jedi. Just lazy film making.
>>
>>63759700
And this is what people will actually use as an argument. Call us rapists because we are not allowed to ask for explanations. Mansplaining.
>>
>>63765011
Of course they do. They're still bad movies.

This new wave of "B-but I like the prequels" stinks of Reddit contrarian, special snowflake bullshit.
>>
>>63758089
she's cute cute CUTE
>>
Why did I get a 404 when I posted a picture of Abrams? I just wanted to know if people thinks he posts here. I love Abrams.
>>
File: 1450308560746.jpg (184 KB, 1500x1242) Image search: [Google]
1450308560746.jpg
184 KB, 1500x1242
>>
>>63764517
>>63764545
>>63764605

You still didn't answer why he didn't paralyze her and what him bleeding has to do with anything. He wasn't very wounded.
>>
>>63765104
Because force shit. She resists his mind reading stuff already. So her latent force ability or whatever the fuck means he can't do it.

I actually buy that, it's not that bullshit out of all the bullshit about her.
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 504x292) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 504x292
I have s problem /tv/. I went to see tfa with a friend of mine. I was annoyed that JJ misdirected with the marketing campaign and led me to believe Finn was the Jedi, I just don't like being misled, discordant marketing and I really enjoyed Boyegas performance. My friend is black though and he was heart broken. A part of me thinks that it would have been better if he'd just been holding a rifle through all the advertising, but instead they made Finn weild a light saber only for him to become a comedic relief for all the white people.

My only question is if you think Finn will be force sensitive in episode VIII?
I said he would be due to the scene where he hears the people of coruscant screaming through the force, but I wanted your opinion.
>>
>>63765104
>He wasn't very wounded.

He got shot in the gut by a bowcaster, which is the Star Wars equivalent of a heavy gauge hunting rifle.

He didn't paralyze her because he didn't have the strength left in him to do it.
>>
>>63765059
I actually liked Episode 3. It wasn't great but it was enjoyable. Fuck the other two though.
>>
I think Rey is pretty cool.

But come on, Ren lost this battle. HOW? It's like a pro formula one driver losing to someone who just drives a car in his daily life.
>>
>>63765143
Finn is Obi-Wan's long lost grandson.
>>
>>63761752
>>63761769
No, but it was extremely painful
For Han
>>
>>63765004
Bullshit. Anakin was the first chosen one. was a pod racer, and Shmii, his mom, said of how he wrecked many pods for a while before he became really good at it. wrecked his boss' favorite pod in a previous race. at the end, he piloted a ship which moved as fast as a pod racer. he blew up a ship, bumbling about.

Second chosen one, Luke, gets his shit packed in by Vader in the second movie after he began his training with Yoda.

Rey, does everything right the first time, even out force a force user both with telepathy, telekinesis and even fencing. yea, girl power power puff girls excelsior and stuff!

>>63765032
fuck off with that shit. It's George's wizards and he, and only him, had the right to define their powers. he said from years before that Obi Wan and Anakin fought on a lava world. he is the master of their abilities. go suck plinkets dick if that makes you happy but it's George's world and it is the measure in which we define the impossibility that is Rey.
>>
>>63765143
For real bro? It's classic misdirection. Many people called Rey being a Jedi over Finn early on.

He was still a good character. Not everyone has to be a Jedi. Althought I'm pissed Rey is the tech girl, super Jedi, new Falcon flyer. Did they have to give everything cool to her? Finn needs something.
>>
>>63765143

They reveal in the movie that Finn is a clone of Mace Windu.
>>
>>63765186
How many times does it need to be explained? It's right there in the movie

>he was shot
>he wasn't trying to kill her
>he was on-tilt from just killing his dad
>he had just had a fight with Finn beforehand
>Rey isn't actually a push-over
>HE WAS SHOT
>>
>>63765205
George is gone. Get over it. You talk about sucking dick, when all you do is suck George's dick and gargle his balls. OH YES GEORGE, GIVE ME MORE SHITTY CGI FILLED MOVIES WITH AWFUL DIALOGUE, YES SPRAY THEM ALL OVER MY FACE.

Just because someone makes something doesn't mean they can't ruin it. Now fuck off already.
>>
>>63765104
>>63765136
MARY SUE
A
R
Y

S
U
E

Ren's a bad ass but around Mary Sue, he's a red shirt bumbling idiot who can't into anything.
>>
why are we assuming rey doesn't have some level of training?

its eluded to through the flashbacks from touching luke's lightsaber
>>
>>63765205
We don't know what kind of adventures Rey has been up to before the movie. And like I said, she's -special-, even more so than Annie.
>>
>>63764280
Big Creepy Guy really takes the whole thing on the chin. The only reports he gets are either a) I failed, and b) Other guy failed, doesn't he suck! He seems pretty chill about the whole vast loss.
>>
>>63765210
Some people trusted JJ
>>
>>63765143
He gets to fuck the white girl quit being a bitch.

And you've got Mace Windu in the prequels.
>>
>>63759533
She's luke's kid. Was mind wiped by luke. She's more powerful than kylo because of the Anakin-luke-Rey connection

if they keep kind of borrowing from the EU without saying it, her mother will be Mara Jade or something like that.

Meaning she's just as powerful as luke and anakin naturally with training.

Also for everyone else.

Anakin was a slave boy who flew in a giant space battle and managed to destroy an entire fleet.

Luke was a farm boy who flew in a giant space battle blew up the fucking death star and with a couple weeks of training went toe to toe with dark vader, even landed a shot after escaping a trap

So if you don't like this "mary sue" shit, Star Wars is not the fucking series for you.
>>
How the fuck did she know how to fix the Millenium Falcon and Han didn't. Muh senility.

Movie is good but for fuck sake JJ, Luke never was a Marty Sue, at least not in the first movie.
>>
>>63765262

Because the vast majority of /tv/ still haven't watched the movie and are waiting for camrips. She literally beats the shit out of two hoodlums who jumped her with her monk staff. The fact that she uses a staff already shows she knows her shit.
>>
>>63765229

In response to this Sam Jackson replied "shieeeet, that ugly motherfucker?"
>>
>>63765300
>trusting JJ "He's Harrison not Khan" Abrams
>>
>>63765210
The girl gets everything. Finn gets to be the black guy.

The white guy gets to "step aside" and die so the girl can find the other white guy and take everything from him to. She'll probably turn to the dark side and kill him when she gets her period, then claim it was rape.

was this post 4chan enough for you?
>>
>>63765233
And what exactly makes you think he wasn't trying to kill her?
>>
>>63765233
He was trying to kill her until he realized she's force sensitive. Getting shot is nothing compared to what other jedi have fought through.
>>
>>63765249
Bullshit. George defined characters and their powers. all Disney can do is build on what GEORGE, built. They can't retcon shit because, Muh Diversity.

George showed just how fucking hard it is to use the force without any formal training. and believable it was. prequels problems or no aside, he defined the length and breadth of the power the wizards used.
Disney wrote a vehicle for a new Power Princess who could Mary Sue without training, without any of the prerequisites the two former chosen ones had to endure.
>>
>>63765310
Kill yourself

>>63765318
>fighting with a staff is the same as fighting with a lightsaber that has a difference centre of gravity entirely
>>
>>63765318
She's clearly supposed to be some kind of Tusken Raider-style fighter, even though she is not from Tattooine. Desert Fighter, I suppose. weirding way
>>
>>63765331
>The white guy gets to "step aside" and die so the girl can find the other white guy and take everything from him to. She'll probably turn to the dark side and kill him when she gets her period, then claim it was rape.
I was eagerly awaiting Rey to tell Han to stop mansplaining
>>
>>63765313
She has the Skywalker family innate ability to control machines.

She'll be part machine by the end of the trilogy, I guarantee it.
>>
>>63764411
I almost never agree with this term being used but...

She's a fucking PERFECT example of a Mary Sue.
>>
>>63765361
What the fuck are you talking about? This is about Kylo Ren somehow being immune to pain because Anakin and Obi Wan fought over lava. Nothing else.
>>
File: x6lp6oplvfuuzinpjvvd.jpg (316 KB, 800x362) Image search: [Google]
x6lp6oplvfuuzinpjvvd.jpg
316 KB, 800x362
Can we ignore the squabbling over the plot and this women and focus for a moment on what an absolute shit casting choice Kylo Ren was?
>>
>>63765339
>>63765351

Supreme Leader: "Bring her to me"

Pay attention, fuccbois.
>>
>>63765438
Nah I liked him.

>they have to look scary to be bad guys

Isn't the whole point of the Force that it's not about how you look? Remember Yoda?
>>
>>63764411

its true tho it's one of the worst memes in capeshit/scifi/fantasy

ironically in real drama that would get you laughed out of the business.. but because its magic I ain't gotta explain its accepted
>>
So she's being played up as the main new jedi, but you know Finn also has the force within him. When Keilo looked at him in the first scene, he must have detected the force. That and do you honestly think a non force welder would assume the lightsaber like he did?
>>
So basically Kylo Ren is Jacen Solo and Rey is Jaina.
>>
>>63765438
Nah, it was a good choice. It was different.

The dude looks a little bit like Hayden Christensen, so that's good too.
>>
>>63765262
>>63765310
>>63765318
THEN SAY IT IN THE FUCKING MOVIE!

"hey, rey was a Jedi Padawan for years and years and then shit happened and was sent to a desert world to protect her."

in flash backs and stuff.

don't make her super powerful and then, in two years during episode VIII "well rey I wiped your memory to protect you."

Bullshit. She's a Mary Sue. Power Puff girl princess Power she Ra and all that bullshit!

>>63765265
and that's what we call, SHITTY WRITING.

Neo was the one because of the prophesy. he wasn't some random dude who suddenly into Sudo apt get both the matrix and machines in the real world.

It was all foreshadowed and explained and spoken of.

>>63765430
>>63765430
Bullshit. A force user's strong enough to survive the most impossible shit. Anakin fell into lava, and survived for a long time until he was found. His lungs was exposed and his entire body was burnt.

a simple blaster shot to a force user hurts but not incapacitates. especially if said force user is still mucking about even with it.

admit it, Mary sue, girl power, powerful she ra power puff, disney princess vehicle.
>>
>>63765490
Pretty much, yeah. There are some vague inspirations from the old EU going on. I would say there will be an alien general in the First Order who will have Thrawn-like qualities to him in the next one.
>>
>>63765460
Right but this guy is a human and he looks, quite frankly, hilarious. I have trouble taking a hilarious looking bad guy seriously.
>>
>>63765438
Nah, he was great.
>>
she's a definition of a coalburner
>>
>>63765516
Anakin is the chosen one, super Jedi of all Jedis. Kylo Ren is a newbie, unhinged Sith. Stop comparing them you fucking moron.
>>
>>63763865
Her grandma was a princess so maybe Rey is one too
>>
>>63760141
agree. she had a little bit of titty jiggle which i enjoyed and there was a good ass shot near the end when she was walking up them rock stairs. she had think as fuck calves though which was weird. also speaking of thick i could totally tell at the beginning which storm trooper was fin cause he had thick as thighs
>>
>>63765516
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Everyone agrees here she is an overpowered character. She seem to be ranting at no one in particular at this point.
>>
File: rey-saber-photoshop.jpg (245 KB, 2000x1470) Image search: [Google]
rey-saber-photoshop.jpg
245 KB, 2000x1470
She is a Mary Sue
Finn is actually a good character

/tv/ was wrong as always

Also that aside lightsaber staff will be cool
>>
>>63765563
Kylo Ren ought to be pretty strong, being Anakin's grandkid and all.
>>
don't forget JJ recconned Kirk to to go from Cadet to Captain..

it's literally the only thing he knows how to write
>>
>>63758339
AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE LIGHT THERE WILL BE HOPE
>>
What was the name of the old barkeeper lady again?
>>
>>63765611
Finn's not that great of a character. Like others have said, Rey gets to be everything while Finn gets to be the Black Guy.

Finn never really got a moment to shine, not truly.
>>
>>63765557
Ooga Booga was friendzoned on ep VII but JJ really wanted an interracial end and Disney is on a hard position. They can't get rid of that pairing so easily because they'd be accused of racists and they already have too many problems with lel walt was a nazi memes
>>
>>63759782
The main character in a blockbuster movie is almost never ugly unless being ugly is a plot point.
>>
>>63765663
Rey got to be TOTALLY AWESOME AT EVERYTHING, but Finn is the one with all the pathos who we follow through the plot, and the one who gets the best lines other than Han.
>>
>>63765712
This

Finn is a multifaceted character and Rey is a self insert mary sue
>>
>>63761880
sure they will this is the age of people bitching on the internet, you dont think ther writers at least question this shit when they see people complain about it.
>>
>>63765663
Finn's moment to shine will be when he penetrate Rey with his BBC
>>
>>63765712
>>63765733
>/tv/ actually likes Finn now

I'm not complaining or anything, but god damn. Boyega must have really done a good job.
>>
>>63765663
Rey gets everything is true, that doesn't mean Finn isn't a good character. He's more flawed and interesting than Rey. I wanna see more of him over Rey.
>>
>>63765750
I always knew he was a good actor, but I really had low expectations for his character.
>>
>>63765750
Bros before Hos.
>>
>>63765712

>that thumbs up between Finn and BB-8 when BB covered for Finn

Best moment in the movie.
>>
I JUST GOT THE FUCK BACK FROM SEEING IT AND IT IS LITERALLY A REHASHED A NEW HOPE. FUCK I AM ANGRY
>>
>>63765733

Finn = Han Solo
Rey = Luke Skywalker

I thought this was obvious.
>>
>>63765712
What would be/have been great was to keep the Jedi stuff as a side story, and have Finn's story become the main plot. Alas, MUH LIGHTSABERS is going to win out in the end.
>>
>>63763901
lol nah dude no one cares for black females.
>>
>>63765828
They really didn't need to go with another Death Star story. Weakest point of the plot for sure.
>>
>>63765563
All Rey has is her lineage to Anakin and yet, she's that powerful. She's so powerful in fact that she, born with natural talent can overcome and defeat an active force user who can into telepathy and used it to interrogate some one.

>>63765594
if you read the comments of the very detractors i responded to, then you'd see as to why is said and spoke as I had to.

>>63765828
of course it is but everyone's still on Jar Jar Abaums cock at the moment. Star trek was shitty but was leagues better than into darkness. everyone loved into darkness. saw that shit i did and wanted to find and beat the living shit out of jar jfar the moment spock yelled kahn. fuck jar jar.
there's not a single creative anything in jar jar, not a single creative, anything!
>>
>>63765816
This.

I really liked "We'll use the force!" "That's not how the force works" too.
>>
>>63765872
I kept expecting something different to happen, no way it's just gonna be the same thing again right? But yup, another trench run, another countdown to firing, another exploded base with ships flying away. Come the fuck on, JJ.
>>
>Starts off with +1 Duel Wielding

In a hour gets
> Light Saber Feat
>+4 Duelling
>+2 Blasters
>+ 2 Critical shot

She's a Mary Sue, they even reinforced that idea when she was being attacked by two thugs and Finn was about to come even the odds... but she beats them up easily and Finn just stares at her stunned.
>>
>>63765903
Yet that's pretty much how the Force works with Rey.

>how will I escape the First Order?
>I'll use the Force and use a power I've never used before!
>>
>>63765843
Yeah I agree. Maybe in the next film? I think we'll see Finn grow more as a character. He is definitely force sensitive.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.