[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm tired of Star Wars threads. Post your top three directors,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 1366409718264.jpg (151 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
1366409718264.jpg
151 KB, 402x402
I'm tired of Star Wars threads. Post your top three directors, and their top three films.

>Lynch
Lost Highway
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
>Refn
Only God Forgives
Drive
Bronson
>Malick
The Tree of Life
The Thin Red Line
Badlands
>>
>JJ Abrams
Star Wars: The Force Awkens (beautiful interracial goodness!)
Star Trek Into Darkness (no colon here)
Super 8
>>
>>63728099
What a glib facsimile of a redditor
>>
>Coen Brothers
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
The Big Lebowski

>Quentin Tarantino
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown

>John Carpenter
The Thing
They Live
Escape from New York
>>
>>63728169
What did you think of the Fargo show senpai
>>
>>63728210
Amazing until the last two episodes
>>
>>63728047
George Lucas
JJ Abrams
>>
>>63728099
>>63728395
I remember when shitposters used to actually try
>>
Shh, this is now a Malick thread.
>>
>Luc Besson
Leon
The Fifth Element
La Femme Nikita

>Mel Brooks
Young Frankenstein
The Producers
To be or not to be

>Roman Polanski
Chinatown
Macbeth
The Pianist
>>
Has anyone seen The New World? I have it downloaded, it's one of the last films in Malick's filmog that I need to watch. Nobody ever talks about it, where does it rank among his other films
>>
>Tarkovsky
The Sacrifice
Stalker
Andrei Rublev
>Malick
The Tree of Life
The Thine Red Line
To the Wonder
>Dreyer
Ordet
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Day of Wrath

Any recs?
>>
>>63728970
I think it's his worse, but there is a small minority that really likes it.
>>
>>63729015
Last Year in Marienbad
>>
>>63729092
Dang, that's a good film. I really need to rewatch that.

Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>>63729015
>Tarkovsky
>The Mirror isn't in his top 3

guys i don't think this reddit board is for me

>Kurosawa
Ran
Ikiru
Dersu Uzala

>Tarkovsky
Mirror
Stalker
Solaris

>Ridley Scott
Blade Runner
Alien
Gladiator
>>
>>63729172
Persona is also really good, if you haven't seen it already.

Lost River gets a lot of flack, but the cinematography/editing is very similar to Malick, but different enough to fit the tone of the film. Might be up your alley.
>>
>>63729294
>Reddit board
>has Ridley Scott in his top 3

Lmao, senpai
>>
>Lynch
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Inland Empire

>Brian de Palma
>Dressed to Kill
>Blow Out

>Malick
The Tree of Life
Badlands
Days of Heaven

Can't wait for Knight of Cups tbhfam
>>
>>63729294
Sorry senpai, Mirror is different from his other films in my opinion. It's just not for me.
>>
>>63729481
Third de Palma film is Sisters btw
>>
>>63729347
pre senile ridley was a fucking god, don't care what anyone says

>>63729493
fair enough
>>
>>63729481
Great taste, crazy to see so many Malick lovers. Been meaning to get into DePalma, where should one start?
>>
>>63728970
It marks his shift towards the non-narrative, semi-abstract meandering style of his most recent films. So if you're looking for story it isn't the best film for you, but if you liked Tree of Life and/or To the Wonder, you'll enjoy the gorgeous Lubezki cinematography and neo-Malick's trademark fragmented editing style linked together with broken, philosophical voiceovers.
>>
>>63729570
Dressed to Kill is my favorite, first of his I saw and I loved it. Michael Caine is great in it
>>
>>63729015
Battleship Potemkin
>>
>>63730282
More like Battleship Potty
>>
>>63732190
>not battleshit potty
You had one job
>>
>>63728047
do you think malick love us :3
>>
>>63732257
>not Cowpattleshit Potty
>>
>>63732303
Malick loves all His Creation
>>
This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kiddies
>>
File: 1447443153268.jpg (37 KB, 632x337) Image search: [Google]
1447443153268.jpg
37 KB, 632x337
>>63732349
HOLY KEK

This has to be the best copypasta of 2015
>>
>>63728047

>Welles
Lady from Shanghai
Touch of Evil
Citizen Cain
>Kubrick
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon
>Kurosawa
Sanjuro
Throne of Blood
High and Low
>>
/tv/ is dead. Forever.
>>
>Herzog (won't include documentaries)
Fitzcarraldo
Aguirre, Ira de Dios
Nosferatu: Phantom der nacht or Cobra Verde

>Pasolini
Arabian Nights
Mamma Roma
The Gospel According to St. Matthew

Salo was awful.

>Huston
Asphalt Jungle
Maltese Falcon
African Queen or Wise Blood
>>
>>63732529
>I enjoy the films of Sirgay Einstein, especially Cowpattleshit Pottymkek
>>
>>63728135
how the fuck do you pronounce facsimile?
>>
>>63732643
http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facsimile
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.