[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS DISCUSSION THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: star-wars-7-trailer[1].jpg (42 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-7-trailer[1].jpg
42 KB, 620x387
If you've already seen the movie and want to discuss it instead of just opening shitpost and bait threads, then get in here

My Pros and Cons
Pros:
-The movie did a good balancing act between nostalgia and innovation
-No forced romance between Finn & Rey
-Seeing a fast-paced Star Wars movie was a joy after the awful walking-and-talking prequels
-More humour
-Practical effects and puppetry
-Adam Driver gave a great performance

Cons:
-Plot relied too much on coincidences (oh look, Han and Chewie's freighter is just in the same place as the Falcon, how convenient)
-Secondary characters were underused like Phasma or Hux
-No info whatsoever about the Knights of Ren (but i guess they'll save that for Episode 8 & 9)
-Third act reminded me too much of Return of the Jedi
>>
>>63727728
There is absolutely no good reason you needed to make another thread
>>
>>63727777

i look at the catalogue and disagree
>>
>-Seeing a fast-paced Star Wars movie was a joy after the awful walking-and-talking prequels
Stopped reading here

Kill yourself you fucking cancerous videogame movie buff
>>
>>63727728
>The movie did a good balancing act between nostalgia and innovation
>innovation
Remaking is not an innovation.
>>
>>63727802

what the fuck does that have to do with videogames?
>>
Made my points here
>>63725111
I also disagree on "the awful walking-and-talking prequels"
A character driven Star Wars isn't the problem. The problem is that they did it really, really badly.
The prequels had a lot of action scene, but they were bad too. Action in this one was better, and it looked really good overall.
>>
>>63727777
Check em
Quads don't lie
>>
>no forced romance between Finn and Rey

You're just saying your happy they didn't have any interracial romance at all you racist fucking buffoon
>>
>>63728109
>You're just saying your happy they didn't have any interracial romance at all you racist fucking buffoon
Well I think they already forced a friendship considering how little time they actually spend together.
A love story would have been too much.
>>
>>63728109
i mean really
>>
I heard the ending to the movie is really deep. Han Solo's son finds out that his father was the real antagonist the whole time. All throughout the series, he was responsible for all of the conflicts. This leads Han's son to make a hard decision. Either kill his father or nuke Boston.
>>
>>63728179
>>63728186
>>63728109
ITS
C'MON
PEOPLE
>>
>>63727802
Absolutely cancerous: the post
>>
>>63728292
For realzy though
Relations between all the character feel plastic.
I'm glad we didn't have any love story, considering how hamfisted the friendships were
>>
>>63728292
Enough! I will not sanction such buffoonery!
>>
>>63727980

I don't get it, in one point you complain that Finn is the best character because he "isn't fucking perfect", then in the next you say that Kylo Ren was a shit villain because he's "a pushover" and not an all-controlling super-evil sith lord. I actually liked that the most about his character, he wasn't just a creature in a mask like Vader, he was still a human being.
>>
>>63727777
Meme digits
>>
>>63727728
>Innovation

Stopped reading. It did NOTHING new whatsoever. Not a single thing.
>>
>>63728470
There's a fine difference between "is not perfect" and "can't do anything right and doesn't feel like a threat at all".
Protagonists and antagonists are not held to the same criterias regarding if they're good or bad.
>>
Someone tell me the name of that planet where the rebels stayed with Leia and planned the attack on StarKiller.
>>
>>63728594
Endor
>>
>>63727728
I enjoyed it, which I was a bit surprised about. But to me it felt a bit too fast. Fast paced I guess would be the term but I don't really know much about this sort of stuff.

The "witty banter" was bit much at times. Honestly, they could have cut at least half of it.

Adam Driver was indeed great. Honestly all the new kids were pretty enjoyable to watch. I do wish there was more of Oscar tho but hey, can't complain.

They really made sure the bad guys were really unlikable this time around which was a surprise after how the first battle scene started.
>>
>>63727728
>-No forced romance between Finn & Rey
i hope NO ROMANCE at all between those 2.
>>
love how Adam Driver looked. Especially in that snow forest duel.

reminds me so much like this other whiny, angry and confused brat
>>
>>63728749
>Finn keeps holding Rey's hands

And then that awkward looked between the two. Bad news. They will build up that romance anon.
>>
>>63728649
I thought it was something starting with "I", at least I think that's what BB-88 tells Rey and Finn I think.

>>63728749
>>63728820
She explicitly calls him a friend at the end so I would be really surprised if they went for a romance. Honestly it would kind of cheapen the relationship imo.
>>
File: noooooooooooooooooooooo.gif (473 KB, 500x202) Image search: [Google]
noooooooooooooooooooooo.gif
473 KB, 500x202
>>63728820
>>
>>63728820
Finn was into Rey ("You want to go back? Why? Family? You go a boyfriend, cute boyfriend?"), but it was obvious she didn't return the feeling.
She calls him "his friend" at the end.
But you can also considered that since it's developped one way, it could indeed develop.
>>
There's a cam of the full Rey/Kylo duel floating around. It was taken down over at Youtube. Hopefully it spreads more
>>
>>63728924

She also wasn't a fan of him taking her hand.
>>
>>63728954
>>63728924
>>63728863

>mfw Finn keeps on staring her ass when they hid inside that narrow space in Millennium Falcon.
>>
>>63728954
Yes. But I think it was more due to a will of J.J to push that Rey was a capable individual.
Like that scene just before when Finn rushes to her help and she wins before he evens get there.
You know, girl power.
>>
the droid awakens

I MEAN ARTOO ... WTF ?

why the long sleep and then sudden wakey ?
>>
>>63728954
That was after they just met, though.
>>
Why kylo is so autistic childlike freak?

He reminds me damn anakin in prequel trilogy.
>>
>>63729010
Considering how many things they straight up copied from the originals I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the whole Luke Leia route. Although I guess it's far less likely for them to be related.
>>
>>63729017
So they could advance the plot and find Luke. Maybe he was decrypting a .rar with the map of where Luke is.
>>
>>63729044
I guess they share the whole lust for power but we don't really know enough about him to understand his drive. Maybe there's more in other media but all I know is he wants to be as strong as Vader and he's afraid he won't be capable of achieving it.

Do we know anything about Snoke, other then the fact that he's evil?
>>
Harrison Ford was the magic of the original trilogy, and this film made that painfully clear. The movie was fine, Boyega was fine, but the highlight was Ford, even though he's lost some of his charm. He was the best part of the film, and I didn't fully realize just how important he was to my enjoyment of the films until the moment he died. I wish Boyega and the writers good luck, but Harrison Ford is a once in a lifetime actor, and Han Solo can't be replaced
>>
>>63729090
he is indeed too black to be mixed and suddenly
>Rey is mah sistah!
or half sistah whatever.
>>
>>63727728
yeah fuck brianne of tarth she was fucking shit.
>>
>>63728810
Yeah he really looked like an ugly mssh-up of ROTJ-Anakin and Han Solo
>>
>>63729219
>Do we know anything about Snoke
That Leia and Han know his entire biography, apparently
>>
File: bb-8-work.jpg (91 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
bb-8-work.jpg
91 KB, 1080x720
Can we all agree that BB-8 a cute?

>dat thumbs-up
>>
So what was up with Rey's flashback?
She related to Luke?
>>
>>63729303
*rots
>>
>>63727728
-Nostalgia was crammed down our throats.
-Totally agree Phasma was under utilised.
-Also the serendipity of it all.

Rey, fuck this bitch, Mary Sue incarnate, can do everything and somehow knows all the Jedi tricks in the book and BTFO Kylo Ren... Nope, not having it.

Starkiller Base becomes a new sun when destroyed... Dropped.

Ironically... I was actually in the minority that enjoyed it... Lot of grumbling from the plebs when walking out.
>>
>>63727728
>-Adam Driver gave a great performance
'no'

He was genuinely awful without the mask.
>>
>>63729225
He looked old as fuck. But when he gets into the cockpit of the Falcon - that smile. He looked the same as he did in the originals in that moment.

>>63729321
What? They are aware of him and know he took Ben from them but beyond that is anything said about him?

>>63729336
Probably. She's strong with the Force so I doubt she'll end up being just a random abandoned orphan.
>>
>>63729378
Wait, what? I just thought that the sun was revealed in the background once the planet was destroyed and stopped draining it
>>
Im glad as fuck Harry F is out of the films,he looked a bit bored,his acting is average at best and after that last Indiana Jones i expected no less.
>>
>>63729336
Driver says "I see the ocean.. the island". On Luke's ocean planet is an island, where Luke is, with an empty village. So..
>>
>>63729437
Ford was great when he was just talking and being roguish, butin the actual sction scenes he looked like an old man
>>
>>63729438
A sun is absorbed into Starkiller base to power the weapon. But the implosion forms a new perfectly stable star.
>>
>>63729225
>He was the best part of the film, and I didn't fully realize just how important he was to my enjoyment of the films until the moment he died
To me he felt more like Old Indiana Jones than Young Han Solo. Something was off.
>>
>>63729438
Nah, the thing drained stars.

>>63729499
I don't know. A lot of the time he had this angry old man look which I'm really not a fan. But yea, he was still pretty decent for the most part, especially given his age and his other recent performances.
>>
>>63729499

Yeah, when he talks to Finn on Starkiller Base "That is NOT how the Force works" and the way he looks at him, that was OT Han
>>
>>63729332

I thought BB was going to be annoying but I was pleasantly surprised that he was a total cutie.
>>
>>63729440
he was PART TIME the entire time
>>
This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63729653
Exactly how I felt.
>>
>>63727728
I agree with you almost completely. However, i did feel that there was a love story being forced between Rey and Finn. For me Finn fell for Rey way too quickly and in a fairly unnatural fashion. At least Rey starting to like him back at the end of the movie makes sense due to his heroics.
>>
>>63729653
yep every single time i see him know i think of "part time"
Blade Runner is his only good film,even then he fucks a fridge and gets upstaged by Rutger.
>>
>>63729662
shhhh... If you force meme too hard it won't take.
>>
>>63729332
BB-8 was great.
>>
File: 1358553953307.jpg (23 KB, 320x370) Image search: [Google]
1358553953307.jpg
23 KB, 320x370
>go to screening in english here in my country
>the Star Wars logo comes on
>some people start clapping and yelling "wooo"
>other people immediately make a "shush" noise and tell them to "be quiet"

really glad i don't live in america and i can enjoy a movie without this noisy shit
>>
Wait, did those fuckers destroy Coruscant or what?
>>
>>63729662
>Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.

you're a pretentious faggot. go back to /a/
>>
File: kekyak.jpg (170 KB, 748x1332) Image search: [Google]
kekyak.jpg
170 KB, 748x1332
may be slightly off topic. but did any of you post spoilers to normie outlets?
>>
I just saw it and it's possible i'm just overhyped because i haven't seen a new star wars in such a long time but it was fucking incredible.
>>
>>63729662
Anime?
you kidding?
fuck off faggot.
>>
>>63729715
Unnatural? Are you gay or something?
>>
>>63729804
I liked that nobody really cared.
J.J only wanted to have his stupid shot of the explosion in the sky like he did in Star Trek.
>>
>>63729799
>star wars logo comes on
>people cheer for all of 5-10 seconds
>no one is told to shut up because all that's happening is exposition given by scrolling text

sounds like you hate fun
>>
>>63729715
Guys are always hoping a hot woman is going to fuck them.

I thought it was a great film, a few plot holes and little things that I could pick fault with, however I'm satisfied it wasn't a train wreck.
>>
how are all these fucks seeing the movie early?
>>
Is it really a glib fascimile?
>>
>>63729332
>Maybe he was decrypting a .rar with the map of where Luke is.

He's slower than Windows95
>>
>>63729844

kek i'm gonna do that tomorrow on yak here, let's see how many normies get triggered
>>
>>63729909
Because I live in the UK.
>>
>>63729909
Different timezones
>>
>>63729332
I thought it was supposed to be a middle finger gesture.
>>
>>63729804
>Wait, did those fuckers destroy Coruscant or what?

No it was some shitty galaxy that sxtarted with H that was supposed to scare the republic but wasn't actually within the republic
>>
>>63729909
IT'S OUT IN EUROPE.
>>
File: Holy Cow Axe lower words.png (181 KB, 2108x3201) Image search: [Google]
Holy Cow Axe lower words.png
181 KB, 2108x3201
>>
When all three of the new movies are out I will look back on this and fast forward most of the Harry F stuff.
He was just fucking boring boring boring.
>>
>>63729974
But...the government was there.
>>
Kylo Ren turned into a bit of a weenie after he took his mask off
>>
>>63729799
>people inside our theater keeps on yelling "wooohooo" whenever there's a reference from the old movies.
>>
I enjoyed the shit out of it

But was it just me or did the scene on Hans freighter seem a bit weird tonally

Felt like Kirk was about to run into frame
>>
File: 4Ae5tVh.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
4Ae5tVh.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>63729799
>Star Wars Logo and music comes on
>not a sound, everybody is listening to the music
>actually have an autismo tear rolling becacuse it's been so long since I've waited
>don't like the movie
>>
>>63730008

Hopefully he wont have a stupid vaderesque redemption arc
>>
>>63729799
Can an American confirm if this actually real or just a meme? Is it an African American thing?
>>
Did Kylo Ren mention something about the Clones at one point? Between "the Sith" and mentioning the Outer Rim I'm actually surprised the prequels got as many references as that.
>>
So what the fuck are Obi-wan, yoda, and Anakin doing?

I mean they're force ghosts and can do whatever the fuck they want... So the only way it's believable that Kylo went insane is if they were suppressed by something evil, but... Vader brought balance to the force so there were no more sith or jedi just the grey meaning not even a sith in hiding....

So what the hell?
The only thing I can think is that Sheev's master did discover immortality through the force and became a force ghost himself and he fought off the rest of the force ghosts until there was only one. He then proceeded manipulate Kylo and hijack what is probably a palpatine clones body and declare himself The Empire
>>
Be honest, there is no version of this film that could have been made that you guys would have let yourselves enjoy. Don't even know why some of you even bothered watching.
>>
>>63728109
>omg ebul wacis nazi right guiz?!?!
>>
I hate this 3D shit.
They only showed it in 3D and I didn't want to get spoilered while waiting for the 2D release.
Everything was darker and with a grey tint.
Fuck 3D with a red hot iron rod.
>>
>>63730090
I think the force ghosts were busy gangbanging Luke into forming his new Jedi squad.

I also think Snoke isn't as big as his hologram makes him out to be.
>>
>>63730074
>Hopefully he wont have a stupid vaderesque redemption arc
Oh yeah
They just spoke 3 times of how he still has good in him for no reason, I am sure.
>>
>>63730085

he told General Hux that his stromtroopers are shit and that Snoke should use a Clone Army instead
>>
>>63729914
He was a computer made in the 70s after all
>>
>>63730085
He mentioned something about how they should use a clone army.
>>
>>63730116
I saw it in 3D and my friends saw it in 2D because they booked later than I did and holy shit, I envy them. It must've been a last minute conversion, the 3D looked terrible and just constantly took me out of the.movie. Everything was all blurry and dark.
>>
>>63730056
yeah my high has dissipated too and I'm 50/50 on the whole thing.
>>
>>63729225
>Boyega
Nigga can't act for shit.

Almost none of them can act. Daisy did alright, Fisher was meh.

Ford felt like he was trying to do George Clooney, but that may be because his character was destroyed and replaced with shit.

I mean the guy that plays Kylo was just so fucking terrible that it made me miss Hayden
>>
>>63730083
Oh it's very real, if you walk into a theater with a bunch of blacks it's almost worth it to just get your money back and try again later
>>
>>63730149

Fucking holograms in the star wars universe got a HIGH DEF UPGRADE. WHATS THAT 4K HOLOGRAM?
>>
>>63730001
What government? The government of that planet probably if you are referring to the posh people standing on a balcony watching the neighboring planet blow up.
>>
>>63730167
I put my fucking email once and now this shit happens
>>
>>63730008
I kind of liked that. With the mask he looked and talked like a badass, but when he takes it off we see he's just a confused kid.
>>
better than the prequels, fun to watch. The acting from the new cast (especially kylo and finn was disastrous). Also the characterization is a joke

Why did kylo betray the academy? who is snoke? why is he there? why is kylo conflicted? who was poe talking to in jakku? why was phasma chill to take down the shields? who is she in the first place and why does she have authority?
[/spoilers]

I understand it's a trilogy but come on. No depth, just a check list of plot events.
>>
>>63730048
Yeah, that whole scene should've been cut out entirely. Added nothing.
>>
>>63730008
dude was petulant as fuck from the start with is hissy fits and lashing out
>>
>>63730083
Blacks always make noise during movies but nerds of all races make noise. I remember people clapping during Yoda getting his lightsaber out in Episode II
>>
>>63730208
No, the government of the fucking Republic.
>>
>hating on star wars is edgy
>>
File: smug-spongebob-meme.jpg (24 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
smug-spongebob-meme.jpg
24 KB, 500x333
I liked prequels more that I did the OT
>>
>>63729799
I was sat next to some retarded father(?) and his kid.

When the movie started he was reacting to everything, I shushed him right away and thankfully he stayed quite for the rest of the movie.

He did vocally go "Oh wow! It's Luke Skywalker!", it really wasn't an "Oh wow!"moment!
>>
>>63729090
Don't be a tit. The bloodline link for this trilogy is between Kylo and Rey
>>
>>63729799
I live in Italy, today was the first day I ever saw someone clapping in a movie theater, most of my friends did too, multiple times during the movie, it was really a depressing scene.
>>
>>63730206
Did you see that alien chess shit on the Millenium Falcon? Shit's moved on from stop motion
>>
>>63730237
Something I'll say in the prequel's treatment of Yoda's favor is the bit in Episode 3 where he calmly walks into a room and slams Sheev's bodyguards against the wall with a gentle wave of his hand. I wish we'd seen more of that.
>>
>>63730228

what motivated finn to help poe aside from "right thing to do"?

I honestly think it would have been much better to discard this character after saving poe. This movie tries so much to focus on the characters that it ignores the events going on in the world it's trying to explore
>>
>>63730048
>Felt like Kirk was about to run into frame
ok you got me here
>>
>>63728109
Well considering the only thing in interracial couples now a days is black male white female.

Star Wars
Jessica jones
Supergirl
Train wreck had bets white dude alpha black male
Even a kids show Bella and the Bulldogs
I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.
I'm fine with interracial relationships but mix it up a little it's completely obvious now a days
>>
>>63729650
>he
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
JJ force powers.

Rey suddenly has skills of influence, light saber combat, just by hearing about The Force...I smell bullshit
It takes Jedis yrs to master but JJ fucks that.

Kylo Ren can stop blaster bolts in mid air and be all "PROFESSOR X" with mind reading ability...fuck off.
>>
>>63730324
Probably not, no
>>
So was Finn force sensitive? I thought they kept implying he was but then at the end nothing ever came from it
>>
>>63730048

the monster thing was unnecessary, they should have just trapped the two opposing factions in the hallway and let them fight each other with our protagonists in the middle of it
>>
>>63730358
She's always been a full fledged Jedi, she just forgot.
her memory was locked away by Luke to protect her. We'll find this out in detail in VIII.
>>
>>63730359
>>63730363
>tfw we will never have another mace windu
>>
>>63730008
Has there even been a masked villain who didn't get somehow worse after they took their mask off? Like, not just Star Wars, but in anything?
>>
I liked the duels between Finn and electro-club stormtrooper guy and Kylo Ren and Finn and Rey. They struck a great balance between the original and prequel duels.
>>
>>63730377

he wasn't, he was a skilled fighter as he was trained his whole life by the first order to be a soldier, but he had no force sensitivities
>>
File: ME IRL.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
ME IRL.gif
2 MB, 448x252
han solo dies
>>
>>63730279
Well yea, they're most likely cousins but I'm just saying that Luke and Leia started off as a potential romantic pairing but nothing came of it. Making them related was convenient and made us not feel bad for Luke where we otherwise might have.
Finn seemed to be kind of into Rey but I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended up being friends.

>>63730377
When was that implied? The fight with Kylo?
>>
>>63730358
they're both part of the most powerful force senitve family in galaxy
>>
>>63730358

it was established in the beginning that Rey has combat experience (fighting with her staff)
>>
>>63730313
Finn's motivations made no sense.
He has been abducted by the Empire as a kid, his entire life was made of indoctrination to serve, and yet he has the moral compass of Goody Two-Shoes like he's been drafted last week.
He seems to care about his fallen comrade at the beginning, and 5 minutes after that he's helping the guy that killed him to escape and kill dozens of people that just like him were probably made to serve the First Order.
>>
>>63730001

They blew up the entire Hosnian System.

The New Republic central government is in the Chandrila and Chandrila is not in the Hosnian System.. neither is Coruscant.
>>
I... actually really really liked it.

Obviously because of the leaks I pretty much knew the majority of the movie beat for beat anyway but watching it all play out was really great.

I feel like there were a few things that could have used a bit more time fleshing out. The "death star" equivalent really felt like a tacked on after thought and I feel like the whole scene with whatever the fuck those monsters were soon after Han and Chewie appear was entirely unnecessary. Other than that, solid, solid movie.

Rankings:
Ep IV
Ep V + VII
Ep VI + Ep III
Ep I
Ep II
>>
So...The concept art with Rey walking up to the throne inside the cave, is that in the movie?
>>
>>63730151
I sincerely hope he turns out irredeemable
>>
>>63730498
AKA
I like being seen liking star wars more than actually liking the series
>>
>>63730358
C'mon, like Luke became good through training. He literally spent a week with Yoda, got his arm cut off and then in the next movie became a superjedi. I actually liked that they expanded the Force a bit. It's more powerful now. I hated how in the older movies they never used the Force often in fights.
>>
Did we really need to go the Death Star Mk.III route?

It was kinda of funny how even the resistance pilots were:

"It the Death Star all over again!"
"No it is even bigger!"
"Don't worry! We can hit its weak point for massive damage!"
>>
>>63730300

fucking Dejarik at 30fps

disgusting console.
>>
Just came back from a midnight preview. I really enjoyed it. I missed some variety in the fighter fleets of good and bad guys. No A-, B-, Y-Wings or Tie variations...?
>>
>>63730260
Why do you think they were there?
>>
>>63730524
No
>>
>>63730524
Nope
>>
>>63730546
>stop liking things I don't like
cancer
>>
>>63730524

if that is suppposed to be the scene where she meets Luke Skywalker, it's in the movie, but she meets him on an island
>>
>>63730531
I wouldn't bet a dime on it
>>
>>63730377
to a limited extent, he's not intuative enough but manages not to cut his head off using a lightsaber so must at least have Leia levels of sensitivity
>>
who was poe talking to in the very beginning?
>>
>>63730457
when kylo was staring at him at the start then five minutes they were like yeh theres been an awakening and then later on when kylo said 'shes force sensitive too' idk
>>
Rey is cute but a coalburner that makes her uglier than everyone.
>>
File: 1264292784249.jpg (9 KB, 254x321) Image search: [Google]
1264292784249.jpg
9 KB, 254x321
>>63730595
obi wan's brother, obi twice
>>
>>63730582
>stop disliking things i pretend to like
popnerd
>>
>>63730422
I dont understand how electro club stormtrooper was able to repel a goddamn lightsaber with the stick and how he was on a planet without a gun or rifle while they were killing all the inhabitants.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't consider myself a Star Wars fan, only watched them once or twice long ago, but apart from just enjoying the movie I also liked seeing fan's reactions to it in the theater.

My friend who's a massive Star Wars sperg was fucking crying during the whole thing. The girl I was sat next to threw her hands up and cowered her face with a deeply saddened 'oh nooooo' when Han Solo was kill
>>
Episode VIII better consist entirely of Luke bitch slapping the fuck out of Kylo Ren
>>
>>63730636
>I cant comprehend how opinions work therefore everyone who disagrees MUST be pretending
Wew lad I've seen some autistic shit in my day but you are really high up there already
>>
>>63729715
He's been forced to be a stormtrooper all his life. Since hes not brainwashed like the other he's probably been horny since puberty with no access to females. I'm suprised he didn't rape her.
>>
>>63730647
He dropped his gun to take his electro thing.
I think they took the same stick the Grevious robots used in the prequels.
>>
>>63730498
I actually liked those weird monsters, it was a highly entertaining "what the fuck?" moment to me since they came out of nowhere and we've never really seen fast-moving, powerful creatures before in the series
>>
The whole plot was at a "and then this happened, then this, then this" which is pretty disappointing but it was an enjoyable movie
>>
So who the fuck is Snoke then? The movie claims he seduced Kylo to the dark side, so he must be some kind of powerful Sith
>>
>>63730633
I laughed, but I'm actually being serious
>>
>>63730593
Basic sword training is enough for that.
>>
>>63730562
Oh I agree with this.

They were going to bomb a death star, where are the B wings or Y wings?

I mean X wings are just fighters but if they're going to bomb an important target, why don't they have Y wings around that can throw down some real payload?
>>
>>63730482
> A malnourished scrub with a staff can beat a guy with years of force training.
>>
>>63730713
I assume we'll find out in Ep VIII but supposedly Darth Plageuis could be in with a good shout
>>
File: star wars 1450224490477.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
star wars 1450224490477.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63727728
it's a blatant Star Wars 4-6 rehash with a Darth Vader fanboy as a villain who has a bad made Revan cosplay dress on

Why is everyone praising this movie?
>>
>>63730358
I thought the force powers were much better and more interesting then in the prequels. Those may as well have been lifted from a videogame, that's how generic and uninspired they were. And honestly, I always assumed lightsaber combat was just one of the purest forms of the expressions of the force. It's not like Luke ever trained dueling with a lightsaber, yet he was able to beat Vader in Jedi.

>>63730593
What are you talking about? Why would you need to be force sensitive to be able to use a lightsaber? It's the most straightforward weapon. It's literally a laser sword and other then the question of how the blade is balanced I really don't see how anyone could have a problem using it.
>>
>>63729662
anime is for faggots
>>
Did anyone else think the CGI of this new Emperor or whatever he is looked AWFUL?

Maybe I was too close? I was on the front row as I only booked 6 hours before it came out.
>>
I actually enjoyed it, it was a solid childrens blastathon

Ridley and Boyega were a lot better than I expected them to be. Not too sure about Driver's character but his performance was fine. Harrison Ford kind of phoned it in and I swear they had to stitch Carrie Fishers performance together to hide her slurring, there's cuts halfway through her lines.

I thought the sabre battle was pretty tame and poorly shot though. Throughout the movie the camera was very kinetic, sometimes to its benefit but often it just obfuscated things, very glad I didn't see it in 3D.

For those that don't understand what was destroyed by the starkiller; it was the NEW republic, which is not based on coruscant.
>>
Can we all agree the CGI on Snoke was terrible? He looked far more goofy and silly than intimidating.
>>
>>63730589
Nor would I unfortunately. But I just want someone to finally grow some fucking balls and scrap the happy ending bullshit.
Disney sure as fuck won't allow it tho
>>
It felt like The Hobbit movie but with lasers.

Kylo Ren was awesome. Phasma was awesome. The Orc-looking guy in charge was shit.

Can we take a minute here to talk about how fucking TERRIBLE the person playing Rey was? Whoever she is, she can't act for shit. Driver did a great job, Boyega too.
>>
Is it true they say that Star Killer can destroy Solar Systems?
>>
>>63729662
Nigger you've been posting this same comment for the last 10 hours. Fuck off.
>>
>>63730696
Thats certainly fair enough mate, but like the anon directly below you said, the movie felt like a "then this happened, then this and this and this" without any sort of real flow and imo those creatures were sort of like the physical embodiment of that
>>
>>63730549
In the original movies the force was supposed to be essentially magic. If you've ever watched old Samurai tales the main character, the ronin (Luke) would be fighting an all-powerful, evil, ancient Wizard (Sheev). The All Powerful wizard had magic but you rarely saw much of it because early Japanese cinema couldn't afford to show the magic but they wanted to tell these old stories. The Force is just old japanese magic that evil wizards abused and zen wanders harnessed to find self-understanding and BALANCE.
>>
>>63730329
Nah, we really need to breed evil white men out of existence.
>>
>>63730742
I sort of guessed he was Sidious, he just got scarred even more after getting thrown down the death star.

Plagueis makes sense too I guess, surprised they kept him so secret. Was expecting a post credit stinger where we actually see him
>>
>>63730688
>y-y-you're autistic
popnerd
>>
>>63730647
Why is this so fucking hard to comprehend.
Lightsabers are plasma in a containment field, so all it would take is to disrupt that field to produce a collision response
>>
I don't like the way they did Rey. She can do fucking everything to the point of being obnoxious.She can pilot any and all ships, knows the construction of all the ships after a lifetime of living in a secluded desert village. I would understand if she was good with tech since she had to scavenge the imperial ship and make do with what she found but this is ridiculous.

>Be under attack from a bunch of tie fighters
>Have to run for life
>I better tell him now that I'm a strong independent womyn don't touch me.

Even force, Luke had to train like crazy just to lift a crate and she uses mind control out of the blue. Then she holds a lightsaber for the first time in her life and beats a sith lord who was training for years. The character just pissess me off, I hope in the next movie they give her some actual flaws not just "Uhh I have mysterious flashbacks".
>>
>>63730769
>Can we take a minute here to talk about how fucking TERRIBLE the person playing Rey was?
She really was the weak link. Which is unfortunate since she is the main character.

Boyega was great. Nailed the comedy and the drama aspects of his role.

Driver did a really good job, too.
>>
... And I thought he smelled bad on the outside.
>>
>>63730769
Are you high?

Rey did half way competent, I'm hesitant to call it shit, but

Drivers performance was subpar and flamboyantly acted.

Boyega looked like he was absolutely lost and couldn't remember his lines in any of the scenes. Every time he was on screen I kept expecting to hear, "Cut cut cut... we'll redo the scene. Now act like you know what you're doing" People only say he's a good actor because he's black and have low expectations of black actors. I mean he was truly fucking terrible
>>
>>63730769
>Phasma was awesome

?? ??

Awesome... doing what exactly?
>>
>>63730831
>I need to appear edgy so I must dislike everything
You must live a very sad life anon
>>
Can anyone explain why the resistance is called the resistance?

I mean in episode 6 the empire got destroyed with the republic taking over and ruling the galaxy for now. The First order are a rebel movement set out to create a new empire and to destroy the republic.

Why are the good guys called the resistance instead of the republic army or something? Resistance sounds like the only people willing to stop the rise of another empire are just a ragtag group of guys instead of a goddamn army that should have cut down the first order before they even thought about forming.
>>
>>63730730
Because you can't use heavy bombers on a target that is protected by extensive AA and fighter planes - you need either a fighter escort or fighter-bombers for that.
>>
>>63730822
I hadn't even considered the fact he could be a beyond fucked up Sidious, it's certainly an interesting theory you got there
>>
>>63730888
>if you don't like this movie i need to pretend to like then you dislike everything
once again
popnerd
>>
>>63730090

Allegedly, Hayden's returning for VIII so we might see Anakin's ghost warning Kylo about the dark side, or giving Rey a lesson in the force.
>>
>>63730879
>Rey did halfway competent
https://vidDOTme/J75z

gonna have to disagree with you m8
>>
>>63730901
See >>63730743
>>
>>63727728
I think this is my new favourite movie in the franchise.
It's well made, the character development is well done, the action is plausible and not over the top CGI nor lame fighting with awkwardly limitating costumes, Han Solo has some greats moments and dies not like a hero or like a badass, but as a loving father. They didn't fuck up Leia, the 2 main characters are nice and the bad guy makes you wanna punch him in the face.
Plus, it's back to when there was some mystery to the fucking saga, and instead of showing us everything they are saving it for when it's the right moment or leaving it to our imagination like the original trilogy did.
And for once the parts of the movie in which there are spaceships aren't boring, but entertaining at the very least.
To everyone that says "sure there's a lot of coincidence", ofc the Force has its ways and they can use that to make the plot go wherever they want to, which is nice IMO, unless it becomes too...forced.
>>
>>63730832
how did yall watch it?
>>
I still don't know who poe was talking to in the beginning....
>>
>>63727990
Sometimes they do.
>>
>>63730901
they are the bad guys.
>>
Seriously, Phasma didn't need to be in that film.

>Gets BTFO straight away in her tie fighter, by an untrained Rey and Finn
>Gets captured straight away by Finn and Han
>Instantly surrenders and betrays the First Order in taking the shields down
>Is disposed of off screen

I guess she may be in the next one, but she was nothing but a jobber
>>
>>63730486
BUT WAIT !
He was on sewage detail and then partaked in the Normandy invasions and slaughter a village.

No a great career, perhaps the First Order are racists
>>
I wish we'd seen more interaction between Poe and Finn, Isaac and Boyega have great chemistry
>>
>>63730838
I just said this in another thread. But personally I wish they had made her even better with the force from the start and gotten rid of her fighting abilities.

Then made Kylo less amazing with force shit and attack her with pure rage, it would make sense for her to win by using the force to win over a lightsaber rage attack. Currently she somehow physically overpowered a dude who 2 minutes earlier threw her into a tree like a rag doll. Their skill sets and the way the fight played out don't match.
Would make it interesting the next time they meet, that Kylo has gone off and learnt force shit better and he beats her.
>>
>>63730838
It's hollywood+disney.

Girl characters arent allowed to have flaws and/or show weakness to appeal to the young girl audience AKA how Hermione got butchered in the harry potter movies into a mary sue.
>>
My complaint: Where are the fucking starships?
I mean, it's Star Wars!
We see one Star Destroyer, wow.
Where are the Capital ships of the good guys? Where are other ships than X-Wings and Ties?
B-Wings? A-Wings? NEW ships?
The movie was basically Episode IV again - they even had their Kenobi-death.
But at least that one had a Corellian Corvette, Y Wings and a Tie Advanced.
Don't those Idiots want to sell lego toys?
>>
>>63730901
The Republic didn't get a complete victory in ROTJ and there seems to be two separate states (the Republic and the First Order), who aren't outright at war with each other. The Republic funds the resistance within the First Order though, as a sort of proxy war - which the Order wants to stop by threatening the Republic with their new super weapon.
>>
Was there any hints as to who Poe was with at the beginning? For some reason I thought it was Wedge Antilles but I don't think it was explicitly stated, i feel like that may be expanded on
>>
>>63730944
It's been released in most of the world already ffs
>>
>>63730941
There's a difference between mystery and straight up not explaining important things. Read http://pastebin.com/LZbiipR0
>>
>>63730886
She did even less the Boba Fett and he did fuck all. I think that's probably who the character is aimed to replace. I guess it worked if people think she was cool. Personally I hated the chrometrooper look.
>>
>>63730769
>an we take a minute here to talk about how fucking TERRIBLE the person playing Rey was?

Nah she was pretty good. At least as good as Hamil playing Luke in the first movie, if not better.
>>
>>63730971
Yeah that was a good dynamic between those two.

They should have time together in VIII, since Rey will be off with Luke.
>>
>>63730933
Honestly that wasn't too bad given the fact that the dialog is completely out of character.

The only jarring thing is TOO FUCKING BRITISH

>Han + Leia
>Have a kid that goes chip chip cheerio
AND SO DOES FUCKING LUKE

FUCKING HOW?

Anyways post any Boyega scene and it is worse than that at least by a factor of 10
>>
>that scene where Kylo Ren tries to use the force to bring the lightsaber to him but it goes to Rey instead
Ngl, that was pretty good stuff right there
>>
>>63727728
LOL
https://vidDOTme/J75z
FOOKIN CUNTS
>>
so how much detail does Han give on the stories that Finn and Rey have heard. Did Luke just sort of fall into myth? As in no one really believes anymore that one last Jedi was there to help bring down the empire? or do the characters still know the name of Luke Skywalker
>>
This film had genuinly funny moments. I dont think I laughed once during the prequels.
>>
>>63730986
S-Seinfeld is that you?
>>
>>63729378
>Grumbling from the plebs

Elaborate. The thought of this doing comparatively mediocre business vs Disney's THREE BILLION projections makes my dick hard in all honesty.
>>
>>63730948
oh you mean that old guy at the start? id like to know too actually
>>
>>63731069
Pretty sure he's called a myth by somebody at some point, can't remember who though.
>>
>>63731069
It was briefly mentioned that Rey thought Luke and Han were just stuff of legends
>>
>>63730944
britbong magic
>>
>>63729562
> They drained stars
Like the films
>>
>>63730993
not in guam
wondering if there is a tor
>>
>>63731070
>I dont think I laughed once during the prequels
Aw, come on. Everything Sheev said in RotS was hilarious. Probably not the way it was intended when written but I think Ian McDiarmid knew what he was doing.
>>
>>63731069
Both Rey and Finn had heard of Luke Skywalker. They both mention him before they meet Han. He is a legendary figure though.
>>
>>63730998
Episode 4 didn't explain shit m8. Where was the emperor? Why are there rebels? Why did it take 19 years to ban the senate? Is the empire defeaten after the Death Star is rekt?
They explained everything with other movies. Give them time, they made a wonderful job.
>>
>>63728260
underrated post
>>
>>63730965
>>63730965
Strong female stormtrooper in chrome armor. More like they just needed a bitch to show off in shiny armor to raise troop morale.
>>
>>63731091
ya, it's like they completely forgot to clue us in on the hell that was
>>
was Coruscant one of the planets they blew up? Hux said something about destroying the senate
>>
>>63731069
They all react to his name with awe. He's a legend.
>>
>>63730879
I thought the new cast were over the top like they were acting for the cheap seats in a movie theater rather than for cinema.

Also it's no surprise that the two CGI characters were kept out of the trailers. They looked terrible.

Dat Daniel Craig mind trick cameo.
>>
File: 1450306117391.jpg (253 KB, 698x1075) Image search: [Google]
1450306117391.jpg
253 KB, 698x1075
>>63727728
>good job of balancing...

lol no, it's all nostalgia. The thing with the monomyth is it's an undercurrent to the story. You have the youth setting out from home (the main character), the cynic, the wizard, the damsel, the loyal one, then the idiots. The character elements are more or less fixed, though these characters can be combined or mixed up quite a bit.

But then you CHANGE THE BACKGROUND. It's like a table, people have been making tables essentially the same way for fucking 5,000 years. But no two tables are the same, each has its own nicks and dents and when you're setting up for a dinner, you change the cloth, put different silver on the table, you make the old formula feel new.

JJ did nothing of the sort. That is where the GLIB FACSIMILE meme comes in. This is not a retelling of the monomyth, it's a retelling of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It's a derivative work. Every major plot element, to a t. For as shit as Episode I was, it was NOT a retelling, it actually had something distinctly different working under its hood.
>>
I kinda hope Hayden DOES come back as Anakin/Vader for Ep VIII, it'll be interesting to see how he manages with an actual good scriptwriter
>>
>>63730974
But throghout all the movies, using the force was something you had to practice for years even if you were talented as fuck (anakin). It would make much more sense if they had Finn and Rey work together to fight off Ren and narrowly escape him in the falcon.
>>
>>63731033
Knew that would happen right away. It was straight out of Tenchi Muyo!
>>
>>63730879
>>63731014

her delivery was just terrible, I mean I think it's one of the worst performances I've ever seen and I really mean that

breathtakingly bad
>>
Does anyone have the gif of Kylo spinning it's a nice trick while fighting Finn?
>>
>First Order had a bunch of women and minorities working for them who were unambiguously villainous
I actually like that kind of diversity. It was refreshing.
>>
>>63731188
He's utter shit in everything else i've ever seen him in, like Jumper, so I wouldn't get my hopes up
>>
>>63731189
She could practice for years. Who says some old dude in a robe has to be there to help you learn it. She obviously practised stick fighting for years, swap it to force practice, makes way more sense for a girl.
>>
File: GoTTim.jpg (46 KB, 592x388) Image search: [Google]
GoTTim.jpg
46 KB, 592x388
REPOSTING. Okay. Call me out on my shit here if i missed something but Who the fuck made that map to find luke? That'd be the dumbest shit ever if he made it (Im going away because i cant deal with myself oh if you need me just find the map i made). Hated the fact how hard the movie wanted me to care about rey by constantly shoving "muh missing parents" in my face" doesn help that she beat a pretty much full trained sith in about 10 minutes of learning the force. How the fuck did chewy miss the shot on kylo ren? no headshot? HE WAS STANDING STILL THE WHOLE TIME. Oh and the fact that the only way to get by the shield was to use hyperdrive , a utility that most ships have was just mind boggling.
Like i said if im wrong please let me know, i had fun in this film but i couldn't get over these things
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.