[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so this meant nothing? 30 years later, and we're back to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: Battle_of_Endor.png (944 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_Endor.png
944 KB, 1280x544
so this meant nothing? 30 years later, and we're back to square 1? why did they even have the last scene be all hopeful and shit?

all those space teddy bears, dead, for nothing?
>>
>>63726009
we've been to square 1 and back again.

now we're where we were at the end of ANH, or more correctly, we're just when Luke (Rey) meets Yoda (Luke) on Degobah.
>>
>>63726100
>Dagobah

You mean not-Dagobah, like Jakku was not-Tatooine
>>
>>63726100
see, this is not ok. the series should be moving forwards, not backwards
>>
>>63726202
And that other snowy planet was not-Hoth.
>>
>>63726009
>so this meant nothing? 30 years later, and we're back to square 1? why did they even have the last scene be all hopeful and shit?

Did you even watch A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back????????

A New Hope: the Death Star gets destroyed, everyone in the Rebellion is celebrating

cut to Empire Strikes Back: The rebels are hiding from the Empire on the defense.

How can you complain about the Return of the Jedi-to- The Force Awakens transition when the same fucking thing happened from A New Hope to Empire??????
>>
>>63726800
>A new hope
Tarkin dies
>RotJ
the 2 sith lords ruling the galaxy die

And still nothing happens
>>
>>63726800
anybody with half a brain could tell that the empire was far from defeat after ANH. in RotJ the empire pretty much collapsed, and everybody was hype af that it was the start of a new era
>>
>>63726009
Say whatever the fuck you want about the prequels, but at least they moved forwards creatively.
>>
>>63726009
TFA should have been set far in the future and generally not be a complete copy of the old shit
>>
>>63726982
exactly
>>
>>63726902
>anybody with half a brain could tell that the empire was far from defeat after ANH.

I doubt you were alive in 1977, because if you had been, there would have been nothing after you just saw A New Hope (then just called Star Wars) to make you sure the Empire was still alive and strong. You are only basing your info AFTER the sequels had happened, so stop trying to act smart, you are not.
>>
OT = world war II in space
JJ= cold war in space

Prove me wrong (protip; you can't)
>>
>>63727151
even back then, how could anybody assume that a galaxy-spanning empire would collapse due to the destruction of ONE superweapon?
>>
>>63727217
I'd say The Clone Wars was World War II

And the Jedis were the nazis
>>
>>63726009
AAHAHAHAHAHAA

TFA WAS SO FUCKING SHIT

LITERALLY A REMAKE OF ANH
>>
>>63727276
Well Lucas did make the Imperial Army to resemble the Wermacht.
>>
File: rotj.jpg (395 KB, 2400x1200) Image search: [Google]
rotj.jpg
395 KB, 2400x1200
>tfw they all have miserable lives after rotj
Thanks for ruining my childhood, JJ
>>
>>63727327
It's like poetry, they rhyme.
>>
>>63727348
>ROTJ

those were simpler times...
>>
>>63727348
They were supposed to have a more grey ending in rotj, that lucas changed because he wanted to sell han solo toys
>>
File: 1445971217167.png (194 KB, 301x363) Image search: [Google]
1445971217167.png
194 KB, 301x363
TFA is a huge nostaliga shitfest suffering from way too much "poetry".
>>
>>63727348
>chewie and han are literal deilvery boys who lost the millenium falcon
>leia is divorced and lost her son
>luke got cucked by the dark side and is now crying by himself on a deserted planet

thanks JJ
>>
>>63727417
Lucas did the right thing. SW is a fairy tale, not a mature edgy crap aimed to mature edgy people like yourself
>>
>>63727428
how the fuck did they lose the Falcon to be exact? is it explained in the movie?
>>
>>63727528
I bet you liked the Ewoks and prefer ANH to ESB
>>
>>63727541
It got stolen by like 4 different people in a row lol
>>
>>63727581
I bet you think SW is for adults
>>
>>63727608
4 people AFTER RotJ or during its lifespan?
>>
I feel like Disney did the simplest, most boring story possible for any movie following Return of the Jedi. Usually, in any saga, literature or theatre, there's a harking back to the previous scene, or in this case movie. From episodes 1-6 we can clearly see a storyline unfold and the saga happening, albeit a muddled gap inbetween 3 and 4. However, at least there's some coherent saga.

The Force Awakens really shouldn't be called Episode 7. I feel like Disney dropped the ball on continuing the saga. Instead I feel like they are trying to start their own saga, which doesn't really fit the narrative of 1-6.

Shit on the EU all you want, but at least they logically continued the saga by having Luke, the Hero, become a very important figure in the galaxy and not "conveniently forgotten to make room for new actors". There was an overarching storyline

Shit on Lucas too, but at least he showed us a new personality of the galaxy in the planets of Coruscant or Naboo, new races and weapons, and at least tempted a deeper depth of the galactic lay out. Most importantly, the prequels proved that there can be more Star Wars villains other than a dark bad guy wearing a mask.

Anyone else agree?
>>
lmao jj turned star wars into grimdark faggotry worse tham the falun gong invasion than the EU hahahaha
>>
>>63727257
Oldfag here, Lucas lied to us.
>>
>>63727740
welcome to real life, even the fucking real life theoden is basically forgotten

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_III_Sobieski
>>
>>63727740
I agree with you and I think JJ just did what he did with Star Trek (rehash an old movie updating it), so I have hopes for the next episodes to be actually different from the OT. Rian Jonhson, I'm looking at you.
>>
>>63727745
>grimdark

I'm ok with this
>>
>>63727692
After ROTJ, it's implied that Han settled down with Leia until their son Kylo becamra school shooter and Han got so traumatized that he went back to smuggling and started looking for the falcon. I guess he lost/sold it while playing home with Leia after ROTJ
>>
>>63727740
10/10
>>
>>63727833
>I have hopes for the next episodes to be actually different from the OT.

Disney.
>>
File: Saint-Seiya-Omega.png (478 KB, 610x324) Image search: [Google]
Saint-Seiya-Omega.png
478 KB, 610x324
Taking in consideration the new "epic" pasta of anime, this shit reminds me to Saint Seiya Omega. It was a remake of the Saint Seiya's first arc barely disguise as a sequel and made all the original characters into miserable and lonely to make room for the new kids nobody liked.
>>
>>63727541
Han: 'Where did you get it? Did you steal it off of Z?'
Rey: 'No, we stole it off W who had stolen it off of X who had stolen it off Y who stole it from Z'
>cue audience laughter

I wanted to die desu
>>
>>63727912
let me dream plox
>>
>>63727833
To me, Episode 7 feels like it belongs on an alternate timeline of Episode 4. She's not the hero, but she still witnesses the Stormstroopers terrorize people. If I was writing this saga, by the time Episode 7 rolls around, Rey then emerges and we can skip the first 99% of the movie. The opening scene is instead her finding Luke and then we create a fresh story from there that isn't a glib facsimile

>>63727911
thanks
>>
>>63727880
and then he lost his marriage right? and then his own life to his fucking son. jesus christ.
>>63728004
holy shit did they actually say something like that in the movie senpai?
>>
>>63727608
>>63728004
literally a looney tunes joke
>>
>>63728154
Yeah the Han storyline is really Oedipus levels of tragic once you strip away the jokes..
>>
>>63726669
Well, it wasn't exactly Hoth, it was a weird superweapon the size of a whole planet that fired stars. And Hoth doesn't have trees.

I didn't really understand why they just couldn't use Tatooine though, the only noticable difference was that Jakku didn't have binary sunsets.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (46 KB, 258x347) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
46 KB, 258x347
>>63727417
>>mfw George Lucas really did save Star Wars.
>>
>>63728329
He's more like Odysseus.
>>
>>63728329
Well, I guess it's good for Ford since he wanted to be done with the series for a long time
>>
Just got out

Literally "A New Hope 2: Electric Boogaloo"
>>
>>63728392
But he was, surely?
>>
When the dust has settled, I think this will be considered a very ugly movie. Maybe not by normie standards, but by the diehard fans, an even by the pseudo-die hard fans.

Was it horribly written? No
Was it horribly shot? No
Bad music, acting? No

However, I think fans were looking for the saga to go in a different direction. When you line the seven movies up, it's very obvious which six actually follow the Star Wars saga, and which one is just an action movie with the logo slapped on.
>>
>>63728499
until Hack Hack came along
>>
A New Hope II

Just a politically correct version where instead of two alpha white males in the lead roles you have a feminist and a beta black man.

Brb making noose.
>>
>>63728515
That's why I'm hoping Rian Johnson goes in a different direction in Episode VIII. Looper was neat so I kinda trust him.
>>
>>63728538
Then he could have said no
>>
I could watch New Hope, Empire, and ROTJ a hundred times

I could even watch Phantom Menace, Clone Wars or Revenge of the Sith a dozen times. They're pretty cozy

I could watch The Force Awakens two or three times before finally getting bored. If you've seen one billion dollar action flick, you've seen them all.

It's not a bad movie by any means. I recommend watching it

It just....it just feels so shoe-horned and so corporate.
>>
>>63728677
then the fans would whine more and cry more
he fucking hates the fans
>>
File: 1417921454411.gif (1 MB, 326x256) Image search: [Google]
1417921454411.gif
1 MB, 326x256
>>63728728
>Phantom Menace
>dat Duel of the Fates chorus blending with the lightsaber hums
So fucking good.
>>
File: _1409024207.jpg (472 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
_1409024207.jpg
472 KB, 600x900
>tfw it could have been like this
>but it wasn't
>>
File: yes2.gif (2 MB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
yes2.gif
2 MB, 659x609
>>63726009

We had both the Korean War and Vietnam after killing all those japs in WWII bro,

shit never ends.
>>
>>63727257
I mean, back in '77, not many people thought of things like that. Much simpler times, the end of the movie the good guys won, the bad guys lost everything we were shown they had, and it closed out on a high note with the heroes getting medals during peace.

It was the first movie, so there wasn't really any reason to think there would be more.
>>
>>63729539
It was also self contained. It works as a standalone movie. The following year I remember how jacked people were after seeing the first Superman movie. Nothing like the reaction of Man of Steel, a world already crowded with superheroes.
>>
>>63729268
>it could've Into Darkness 2.0
Yeah, I'm glad JJ actually decided to listen to KK and Kasdan instead.
>>
>>63730225
what i meant was, actually logically continue the storyline and deal with the aftermath of the Galactic Civil War and the formation of the New Republic and shit. not just do OT 2.0
>>
>>63730521
But it is OT 2.0
>>
>>63726009
This is why I fucking hate how things were rehashed and why I hated what the EU devolved into. Power level wankery, introducing the newest biggest baddie who is 100X TIMES DARKERER AND MORE STRONGERER THAN SHEEV, A SUPERWEAPOON THAT CAN BLOW UP TEH ENTIRE UNIVERSE, DARK JEDIS WHO CAN PULL STAR DESTROYERS OUT OF ORBIT 4 FUN, LMAO.

Disney had all of the room in the fucking world to make their own story and they just copy the same shit and add more special effects and change the armor a little so the kids will buy new toys, even Lucas wasn't this hackish. As shit as the prequels were, at least they were telling a story that was identifiably different.
>>
>>63727952
nostalgiaspic here.

Yes, in many ways the way Saint Seiya was ruined parallels what happened to Star Wars
>>
>>63727740
Nice, yeah I knew the second we saw the desert planet that it was going to be representative of the whole film
>>
>>63728206
I just imagined Daffy Duck

>Where did you get it? Did you steal it off Z?
>No, We thtole it off double you had thtolen it off of exthsssth who had thtolen it off Y who thtole it from zthee
>>
>>63728728
>I could even watch Phantom Menace, Clone Wars or Revenge of the Sith a dozen times.
Fuck off George!
>>
>>63729539
But Vader lives

Surely you couldn't of thought it was over
>>
>>63727151
Han said it would take half the Imperial fleet to destroy a planet.
>>
>>63728557

Harrison ford is a Jew
>>
>>63727257
back then people didnt give a fuck and waste energy thinking about some meme flick and whether there was a sequel or not
>>
>>63729422
You could argue we were the good guys in WWII but turned bad in Korean and vietnam wars, losing our way.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.