[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I went this afternoon with some friends, and even though they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: the force.jpg (17 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
the force.jpg
17 KB, 480x320
So I went this afternoon with some friends, and even though they all thought it was incredible, I'm way more reserved, so I decided to write some little things that bothered me, and I would like the opinion of other people that have seen it. Spoilers ahead.

>Into Star Wars : A New Force Awakens

>J.Just fuck my franchise up
You can feel the greesy palm of J.J on the movie. Even though I really found the movie overall gorgeous and "Star Wars-y", there were so many shots or moments that were straight out J.J's Star Trek, like "I can do this", his dialogue between Rey and Finn, the shots from the planets exploding in the sky.
It's overall a rip-off of A New Hope with Star Trek elements in it, but J.J's Star Trek was actually better. This movie feels rushed, less mature, and all the plot moves on so fast because it feels they had a checklist of all the things they needed to have in it.
I think J.J was really self-aware of some of the problems, and he needed to include some shots to justify himself, like remind the audience several times that Kylo Ren was injured before the fight, or hamfist that The Empi- The First Order are Space Nazis but hat Kylo Ren is CONFLICTED.
Also some of the shots are straight dumb like the final (Rey is facing Luke, she takes his lightsaber and tend her arm to give it to him. Cut to Luke. Cut to Rey. Cut to Luke. Panoramic view of the two, Rey's arm still in the air. Cut to Luke. Cut to Rey. The end.
Or random cuts to character's face just to remind us they're here or that what's happening is important. Don't fucking tell it's important, make it feels important you hack.

Cont.
>>
>A Tale of Marie-Sues
I think Finn is the best character of the movie. Why ? Because he's the only one that isn't fucking perfect. He's kind of a coward, he knows how to shoot but he's not going to take on the army by himself, and as a Stormtrooper he was in charge of the garbage. Rey and Poe on the other hand ? They both have one single scene of weakness (Poe tells Kylo Ren where the rebells are, and Rey don't want to renounce her past), but after that? They do everything! Best pilots in the galaxy, can fix everything, can master the Force without training in 20 minutes..
The list goes on. The relations between the characters are weird. They all know each other for between 10 minutes and 15 hours, and yet the movie expects me to believe they're like the best friends in the world or something. Like Poe and Finn have 2 scenes in the movie together. In the first one they are escaping, and in the second one they are in each other's arms like "I can't believe you're alive my friend". What?
Same goes between Finn and Rey, she's crying when Finn is leaving, despite having spent a few hours by his side, and never actually got to know him. Then when Han gets killed she's devastated. I mean it's sad but you've known him for even less time than this black dude.

>Kylo.. I am your father! GET IT?! wink wink
Talk about a pushover as a main vilain. Everybody gets to take a punch at him. Gets shot by Chewbacca, gets hurt by Finn, and then beaten badly by Rey. Oh and at some point he cries like a little bitch and talk to Vader's helmet like its his only friend.
Is that our bad guy? At least he is not overacting like if you took some random autist and forced him at gunpoint to look evil (looking at you you Irish cunt).
Apparently we need to be reminded every 4 scenes he's Han Solo's son (we get it J.J) and that "He's torn appart" and that "There's some good in him still". Worse than ROTS Anakin.
Let's not talk about "The Supreme Exposition Guy".
>>
>Dude where's my plot?
So this random guy in a random settlement on Tato- Jakku has a map to Luke. Ok. How did he get him? Did Luke gave it to him when they left Rey out of the ocean planet with an island? (GET IT??). Why is she at the other side of the planet and not with the guy then?
And about this "road to Skywalker map", what the fuck? First it looks like a road, even though you can apparently get from one point of the galaxy to any other in 12 seconds. It's in an "incharted part of the galaxy". Again, when everybody can go to any other point of the galaxy nearly instantly, this wide area is not on any other map? Does R2D2 has the only map of the galaxy available so you can mix the two?
Why is this part "uncharted" even though more distant parts appear on R2's map?

So how did you like it?
>>
>>63725111

>Rip off of A New Hope

Do you not no the word "homage"?
>>
>>63725191
POTTERY
>>
>>63725191
Glib Fascimile, senpai desu desu desu desu
>>
I'll add that Old Han Solo felt more like Old Indiana Jones that Han Solo, and that Princ- General Leia (was it such a big deal they needed to make that joke 3 times in the movie?) has a plastic face.
>>
>>63725111
Were the guys from The Raid good in it?
Will they be back in the sequel?
>>
>>63725191
Know I don't.
>>
>>63725400
If you're talking about the Space Asians, they threaten Han Solo, then get eaten by Han Solo's shipment, a baby Sarlac.
So no.
>>
you didn't like a movie. congratulations, you're a very special snowflake.
>>
>>63725494
Buttsore Star Wars fanboy detected.
>>
>>63725472
Okay this is the most bullshit part about the movie.
>>
>>63725494
Well I'm waiting for a discussion of my points if you don't agree with them.
>>
>>63725494
>disliking a movie makes you special snowflake now
wew lad I can't wait to see what 2016 is like
>>
>h-hey guys I-I didn't like the movie so feel free to come circlejerk in this topic with me, hehe.
>I'll start my review with a nice JUST meme to let everyone know I'm a /tv/ regular, hehe!
>>
>>63725608
Still waiting >>63725599
>>
>>63725595
We don't even get a good look at them desu. They're always in the background and they have 30s of screentime all scenes combined
>>
>>63725191
you don't do that shit in a series.
>>
"all friends" love it, random 4chan user doesn't like it.

What a shock!
>>
Most people liked this movie, you guys are contrarians (that's to expected since we're on 4chan).
>>
>>63726037
Why are you doing the exact same post on all Star Wars thread?
Are you an autism false flagging as a shill?
>>
>>63726037
>reviews are okay as long as they validate my opinion
>>
>>63726105
He works for Disney/Bad Robot
>>
File: bc2.jpg (229 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
bc2.jpg
229 KB, 717x880
>>63725494
>>
So anybody disgreeing with me on something?
I'd like to actually have opinions instead of shitposting
>>
>>63726541

then you better leave this place for a month

at least
>>
>>63725111
>>63725149
>>63725188
>>63725191

This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63726574
FALSE FLAG
A
L
S
E

F
L
A
G
>>
>>63725191
I believe it's called a glib fascimile.
>>
>>63726558
I guess I was being naive.
>>
>>63725188
R2D2 was hibernating so they didn't have that huge part of the map.
We were just discussing it with friends.
>>
>>63727177
But nobody outside of R2 had that area of the galaxy? Because the uncharted part they talk about is only the BB8 map
>>
>>63725191
The point is, anything about remaking ANH was unnecessary and a waste of time

All of a sudden the public narrative is the OT is dead and needed resurrecting when most people could enjoy 1977 fine today.
>>
It's disappointing because I think this movie had a lot of potential. The issues I had were:

Captain Phasma turns the shields off. Why would she do this? If she doesn't turn it off then she is stuck in a military base with thousands of troopers, with no way for the four people holding her hostage to escape or get reinforcements. It would make more sense if she was a bounty hunter or something who was hired by the first order, and who valued her life over her mission. It is possible this could be rectified in the next movie however.

Finn's character was a bit too over the top for my liking. I don't mind him being somewhat childish and naive, however this was taken too far. This also includes his almost immediate love for Rey.

I think sometimes some of the shots were held for too long in an attempt to create drama. For example when Rey closes her eyes and looks to the force for help against Kylo. She is just standing there for about 3 seconds and Kylo is just for some reason not attempting to push her into the chasm. Another example is the final scene. I think it was a little over done with the back and forth shots between Luke and Rey.

The movie was in general far too similar to A New Hope, and partially because of this, too predictable. For me there is too much plot armor when two major characters escape enemy capture, three major characters survive with life threatening injuries, the monster not eating Finn immediately as it did to other people, and finally the countdown clock on the activation off the Star Killer base falling just short. Another reason for the predictability is because there would sometimes be too much focus on things. Examples of this include the audience constantly being shown how powerful the bowcaster is, or the frequent shots of how Kylo is injured while fighting Finn and Rey. I understand why this was done in order to keep the movie easy to follow, especially for kids, but it is still disappointing in my eyes.

Cont.
>>
>>63725191
do you not know the phrase rip off?
>>
What I would have loved to have seen would be the Star Killer base actually firing and destroying much of the Resistance before they can abandon their planet (Leia dies here while directing the evacuation). This would require the escape of R2, and would be better if the resistance had sent a far bigger fleet to the fight on Star Killer base. This way we would see the resistance being significantly powerful before the destruction of their base, which in my opinion it should be considering the successes in ROTJ. Killing off Leia which would allow for the trilogy to continue in a forward direction, slowly leaving behind the original trilogy and establishing itself through its own characters. This would also return the underdog nature to the resistance, as well as making people genuinely unsure as to what would happen in future star wars movies, especially in regards to who would survive. This would be an incredibly dramatic, and mostly negative ending, but it would still have a positive payoff at the very end with Rey finding Luke, in order to begin her journey in restoring peace to the force.
>>
>>63728978
>>63729048
I agree with your points.
I get what you mean with Finn, it's true that some time he has no purpose for his actions.
Like, he has been raised as a drone by the new Empire. That's where he developped his entire life.
Yet his moral compass is waaay off, like he's been drafted last week.
And while escaping, he had no problem shooting his former collegues.
>>
>>63729048
That would have been better, Han and Leia dying is pretty damn intense, but Han's felt like everyone knew it was coming
>>
>>63726574
LOL Fractale and Sword Art Online
>>
File: 1449194899614.png (67 KB, 232x252) Image search: [Google]
1449194899614.png
67 KB, 232x252
Why is /tv/ so butthurt over a movie being good?
>>
>>63725191
There's homage, such as the references to old films in Pulp Fiction...and then there's this, which not so much an homage as it is a soulless rehash.
>>
>>63729377
Its white bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRHy3cu31M
>>
>>63725111
I find it funny that the only person in your group who didn't enjoy the movie is posting here.
>>
>>63726574
You literally posted this copy and paste shit in another thread.
>>
>>63729048
>destroying much of the Resistance
>would be better if the resistance had sent a far bigger fleet to the fight on Star Killer base

Come on, you can't have them kill most of the resistance then send a larger army. Other than that I agree with your points.
>>
>>63729262
Come on though,
>Like, he has been raised as a drone by the new Empire. That's where he developped his entire life.
Yet his moral compass is waaay off, like he's been drafted last week.
Are you telling me everyone has to have a massive backstory behind why they are the way they are. I was raised in a big Christian family yet I am athiest. I have no idea why, it just grew on me as I grew up. I didn't need a big backstory or plot to decide to not be christian like my family.
I appreciate the reasoning but the fact is not every person needs a big reason to be the way they are. Part of it is just how they grew up and developed over their youth.
>>
>>63731515
The idea is that the Resistance should be pretty big by now as they have regenerated since the destruction of the Empire. They would then send in a large force in the attack on Star Killer base. While this fleet is attacking the Star Killer base, the Resistance's base gets destroyed. This would leave whatever ships survived the attack on Star Killer base, as well as whatever managed to escape before the blast from the Star Killer base hit.
>>
>>63730230
you don't know that
>>
>no shot of jar jar lying on his death bed onnaboo as the starkiller powers up
>no shot of of his offspring huddled around him
>no shot of all the white naboo girls filled with BGC
COME ON JEW JEW IT'S 2015
>>
>>63731673
>Part of it is just how they grew up and developed over their youth.
Yeah, with public school, the internet, other people that don't share your views with whom you interacted with
Such things that I don't think "INDOCTRINATION PROCESS" includes.
>>
>>63731290
Is a forced pasta, it's been on the board for a bit.

Eventually it will be funny.
>>
I disagree with you more-or-less entirely on the Abrams hate bit, but I don't really think there's much point arguing on that so I'ma go straight into the film itself.

So-called 'Mary Sue' characters?
I don't know where you're coming from in this. Poe is shown and mentioned multiple times to be the rebellion's best pilot, so he's good at piloting things. That's not a Mary Sue, that's called a 'character concept'. And as for Rey, she's a good pilot because she's force sensitive, even without any training, just like Anakin was a great podracer as a kid and Luke was an ace in his T-16.

Ren. I was initially skeptical, but I ended up liking the concept. He's a little like Juhani from KOTOR, the idea that he's decided that he has to go down the dark side of the Force but it's almost like he's still trying to convince himself. And the outbursts of rage help to showcase that underneath his intimidating exterior he's really just a frustrated kid, essentially the same as his Grandfather at the same age.

As for the plot, it's Star Wars. When do any of the previous movies every explain how and why they have random high-security data from the Empire just lying around, other than the fact that many Bothans usually die to give it to them? George Lucas was the king of 'Ah, fuck it, they don't need to know that bit'. That's why the EU was so fucking expansive, and why he hated it so much. They kept trying to fill in blanks which he was leaving intentionallly.

I liked it, in general. They could have done so much more with Captain Phasma and the whole big thing around Han's death was kind-of dragged out way past the point where we all knew what was going to happen, but in the end I think I liked it a lot more than I disliked it. I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10.
>>
>>63731892
>intimidating exterior
>essentially the same as his grandfather at the same age
seeing as both his parents are still around as opposed to anakin's they should have the good sense to beat the cock slurping faggotry out of his system, like any good parent would
>>
>>63731892
>Poe is shown and mentioned multiple times to be the rebellion's best pilot, so he's good at piloting things.
And also has no flaws, or actual personnality.
>And as for Rey, she's a good pilot because she's force sensitive, even without any training, just like Anakin was a great podracer as a kid and Luke was an ace in his T-16
She's also good at everything else. Like the Force, of which she was ignorant some hours before, and now can without any training do better than people with years behind them. Also, no flaws, selfless, etc.
> I ended up liking the concept. He's a little like Juhani from KOTOR [...] essentially the same as his Grandfather at the same age.
Yeah, well, I don't think that makes up for a vilain I want to see more off, thanks George.
>>
>>63731892
>When do any of the previous movies every explain how and why they have random high-security data from the Empire just lying around, other than the fact that many Bothans usually die to give it to them?

That information was intentionally given to them by the Emperor. Did you miss the part where the whole thing was a trap?
>>
>>63732240
remember the six gorillion bothan spies
>>
This is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids...
>>
File: Back_to_leddit.gif (471 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
Back_to_leddit.gif
471 KB, 474x379
>>63725494
>I will pay Disney to watch DLC of A New Hope
>>
>>63726541
Nah you were spot on. Do you thibk Finn would have worked better as the Jedi lead?
>>
>>63732342
I think he's fine as a non-force user character. I mean, he could have been a good lead Jedi from a non-force oriented background, like Kyle Katarn but different.
But if they wanted to go with Rey as Luke's daughter, they should have give her actual personnality. Like, I don't know, being a little too ruthless or greedy/selfish from her harsh environnement.
Like when she gets 60 rations for the droid, I was thinking just after that scene how better it would have been if instead of saying no she asked for a hundred, and the boss refused.
Who is our Han Solo in this movie?
>>
>>63732465
He's force sensitive though, isn't he? During the attack on the republic he hears the billions of screaming innocents through the force.
>>
>>63732465
Also agree on the Rey part. Her character is being too naive without any justification.
>>
>>63732522
Does he?
I thought it was people around him screaming because they saw the laser.
I can't stress enough how much I hated that scene.
>>
>>63728978
another thing about making the movie easy to follow was the blood on the finns helmet at the start of the movie, it kind of felt unnecessary, a couple of shots of him and kylo ren looking at him wouldve been enough to make the people understand it was him
>>
>>63725191
Nice bait, Faggot. You managed to hook several of them.
>>
One has to wonder with how proficient the Rebels have become at blowing up Death-Stars why the Empire even bothers building them.
>>
>>63732600
Yeah, it's a little too "easy", I agree.
When you compare the new lead trio with ANH, it's a little too plain.
>>
>>63732791
Considering how fast they pump that shit up, it's actually not a bad idea.
Somehow they took 20 years to build the first one, then only 5 for the second, and then less than 20 for a planet-size one.
When you consider the k/d ratio that's a good investment for both sides.

Also I laughed when a guy in the rebellion said "We lost 2 fighters, that's half our fleet gone!"
Because that's really how it felt.
>>
File: and everyone in it.gif (2 MB, 497x268) Image search: [Google]
and everyone in it.gif
2 MB, 497x268
>>63725111
I swore I wouldn't consume another piece of SW media after Disney bought the franchise but I'm really REALLY fighting the urge to download an HD cam rip right now.
>>
>>63725111
>>63725149
>>63725188
holy shit it sounds like a 60 min movie, how long actually is?
>>
>>63733144
135 or something like that
>>
>>63725188
>>63725149
>>63725111
I read this in Plinkett's voice
>>
>>63726037
Most people liked Fallout 4.

You see a pattern?
>>
This isn't your blog, redditfag. And you attempts at being funny are embarrassing. Sage
>>
File: 1340199882962.gif (2 MB, 280x225) Image search: [Google]
1340199882962.gif
2 MB, 280x225
ok, time to wait the cam-rip
>>
>>63725111
[sp]i really, really wanted to luke to use force pull the saber, and activate it, OR, even better, say "keep it. You'll need it"
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.