[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it good or is it a case of people supporting it because it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: werw4.png (178 KB, 758x335) Image search: [Google]
werw4.png
178 KB, 758x335
Is it good or is it a case of people supporting it because it's nerdy and progressive?
>>
Most "fresh" reviews are pretty much saying "eh, it's okay, 10/10"
>>
It's nerdy and progessive
>>
>critic reviews talk about how it's stale shit
>talk about how self-serving it is and how dull all the callbacks are
>talk about how you don't need to see the movie, because you've already seen it
>still rate it as fresh
I guess they want to be invited to the next one.
>>
No one would risk their careers giving this movie anything but a 10/10.
>>
It's whatever it is to support your narrative :^)
>>
>>63710488
>>
I'm happy that 4chan is predictable and hates this movie.

I'm also happy that normal people love it and are giving it great reviews. It's like a layer cake of joy.
>>
>>63710488

Are you fuckin stupid? People make their careers in criticism by being contrarian.
>>
>>63710618
Yeah honestly few things reassure me that mankind is in the right place like this movie.

The unappeasable neckbeards, the bottom barrel of society, the autistics and manchildren all hate it because they can't stand other people enjoying their sci-fi series. The rest of mankind is just happy to see a cool movie together. And it's almost invariably going to end up being the highest grossing film of the decade.

Good to know that all is right in the world.
>>
>>63710488
You are so fucking delusional, if anything they make more money being negatively critical of popular movies.
>>
>>63710454
I do the same thing for my amazon things. Gotta keep the free goodies coming f.am
>>
only marketers have seen it

why do you think this response is genuine?
>>
>>63709813

Its a glib facsimile, thats all. There was one reviewer who spoke the truth in a sea of shills.
>>
>>63709813

It's a 6/10
>>
>>63709813

First viewers are always the biggest fans who will eat up almost anything (except Jar Jar). Reviews will get more honest later on. Here's my take (too long for 4chan): http://pastebin.com/LZbiipR0
>>
I mean, RT is a yes/no system right?

The movie's not great by any means, but it's at least ok

And a 6/10 still counts as a yes. So even if everyone gives this a 6/10, it'll still be a high percentage.

I just got back from the theatres and it was pretty much Hope all over again. I think they played it way to safe, but from what I've seen in the theatres, people actually liked that, so, yeah.
>>
>>63710721
A bad review of a movie like this will get you shitlisted faster than you can say jarjar; good luck getting tickets to any other big money premier/press junket.
>>
File: grigori.jpg (47 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
grigori.jpg
47 KB, 800x500
>>63710721
lol you're the delusional one by trusting fanboy media, shit for brains. They get free screeners you moron, and get lots of trips to meet stars with swag and free meals
>>
>>63710836
>it's an 8.3/10
ftfy
>>
>>63710901
You can also see the average reviewer score on rt under the percentage. It's 8.3 for this movie
>>
File: 1450287603833.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1450287603833.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>63710936
>>63710940
Mmkay, is that why phantom menace has great reviews?
>>
>>63711010
It has shit reviews NOW. It's safe to hate on it now. In fact, it's safer to hate it than it is to like it.

I guarantee everyone who saw it at the time said it was great, gave it a 7 or 8 and left it at that.
>>
>>63711010
Because it's been so many years. First reviews are always glorifying, honest reviews come later.
>>
>>63711010
The internet wasn't that big back then, now everyone gets reviews from fanboy marketing shills as the first ones off the bat. It's why Marvel capeshit always starts at like 99 percent
>>
>>63711065
I saw it in the theater.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it after it was over. I didn't feel "7 or 8" about it though. I felt like I should have thought it was good, but I didn't.
>>
>>63711010
When it first came out Phantom Menace had mostly positive reviews.
>>
Saw it today.
It's not a really good movie. It's star wars so yeah but definitely not the greatest one.
Personally I framed all the plot twist in 20-30 min.
So I don't think it deserved 97% or 99%. More like 70.
>>
>>63711082
>>63711174
>People actually don't remember the shitstorm of negativity surrounding episode 1

Idiots
>>
>>63711065
These reviews are from 1999, even though it says it's the 3D version
>>
>>63711102
Every movie with a massive marketing budget starts at 99 or 100% on RT and 9+ on IMDB before anyone sees it. As massaging the scores on those sites is a pretty standard part of the marketing blitz. Then people actually start seeing it, and more accurate scores arise, eventually. They're still inflated by the initial marketing blitz, though.
>>
>>63710668
Armond White got fired.
>>
>>63710713
>hurr durr why cant you turn off your brains when watching a movie like the rest of society

sheeps gonna sheep
>>
>average rating 8.3/10

It's trash
>>
File: beer.jpg (38 KB, 400x317) Image search: [Google]
beer.jpg
38 KB, 400x317
Can't say I'm surprised it's getting positive reviews. People went into the movie thinking "if it's better than the prequels, that's good enough for me" and they barely got that. A lot of the positive reviews even admitted that it was nothing more than an inferior rehash of A New Hope.
>>
>>63711174
When it first came out, phantom menance had mostly "what" reviews. As people seemed to understand why the promotional material had been so secretive and vague.

The movie wasn't even advertised as "the phantom menance" until after it premiered. As it was just "episode one" before that.
>>
>>63711198
There's no Jar Jar this time. That's the big difference. It's not phenomenally bad, but still bad.
>>
>>63709813
The most SJW site, salon, gave it a bad review

doesnt have to do with SJWs
>>
>>63711198
Of the intial reviews in 1999, the vast majority of them were positive.

Only two or three major reviews were "tempered expectations".

I think there was ONE negative review from Rolling Stone, and all he criticized was the writing and line delivery. He still called it a fun film packed with "neat stuff" and recommended it.

Episode 1 didn't start getting negative reviews until 2001.
>>
>>63711319
There was no jarjar in episode 2 either.

Episode 2 is widely regarded as the worst of the prequels by a large margin.
>>
>>63711199
No, a lot to the negative reviews are modern.
There's a fucking ZERO score review from 2012.

The film.com reviews aren't from 1999 either. You can check the Wayback Machine, which has a May 1999 snapshot of the site. They didn't review it until 2001, then again in 2012.
>>
Can't wait to see this movie with my wife's son.
>>
>>63711187
Worse or better than Jedi?

That's the metric.
>>
>>63711549
I think he made a brief cameo, either in episode 2 or 3, I'm not sure.
>>
>>63711649
>meesa propose

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJy0HTRD4s
>>
Why does it fucking matter what rotten tomatoes thinks? Its accessible entertainment for mass media consumption, on a bankable name with stand visual effects and writing. The writing was on the wall for how reviewers were going to enjoy it, who cares??
>>
>>63710668
Not if you're a no name.

Disney invested over 1 billion dollars into this. Seriously, if you write a single disheartening review, prepare to be blacklisted
>>
Daily reminder this is what people thought of Episode 1 and what happens if you hype a movie so much that people will praise it just to affirm themselves

>Go see it, its fantastic
>Amazing
>I think its as good as Return of the Jedi
>Probably the second best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw

starts as 1:20
>>
>>63711631
Not the same kind of movie for me.
In the force awaken you have way too much battle. It's called "the force awaken" but you heard about the force like 3 time...
You have a lot of approximation, I will give you an exemple it's a little spoil but not really huge one character discover he can use the force and by magic he use it to convince someone. (don't know if the spoiler worked)
>>
>>63711631

It is not a legitimate of the Star Wars saga that ended with ROTJ. It is a reboot that cancels everything that happened out back to ANH times so Disney can make sequels forever to make money.
>>
>>63711865
>that visor and bleach blonde hair combo
>>
File: 3523525.jpg (109 KB, 772x464) Image search: [Google]
3523525.jpg
109 KB, 772x464
niggas acting like you can't set google to limit the search to 1999 and find reviews
>>
/tv/ AbSoLuTeLeY

BBBB
TTTT
FFFF
OOOO

Lel kill yourself you fucking faggots!!!
>>
>>63712371
http://www.avclub.com/review/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-17563

>May 19, 1999

>can only disappoint all but the most loyal members of the Star Wars cult, which, in the days leading up to its release, seemed to include almost everyone. Its inevitable failure to do so, then, will be something of a shame; it is, after all, only a movie, and a pretty good one at that.

>only a movie, and a pretty good one at that
>>
>>63712371
how can u watch so many films and still have such a horrible understanding of what makes a movie good
>>
>>63710488
Or not get some free shit from Disney.
>>
>>63712418
shut up you glib facsimile
>>
>>63710618
You should know by now this bored is just full of contrarians

Keep in Mind how people Hate the Marvel Cinematic Universe(specifically Guardians of the Galaxy), Nolan films, Tarintino films, Wes Anderson films, Birdman, Whiplash shit you name it, if it's popular good and highly rated, these autists will hate it. /tv/ is becoming /mu/ and /lit/
>>
>"Luke, Leia and Han have been succeeded by a charismatic, talented trio — played by Oscar Isaac, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley — who look more like the multitudes humankind contains, a genuine diversity too infrequently represented in our movies." —Manohla Dargis, New York Times

Hourly reminder that kucks like this are the ones giving it glowing reviews
>>
>>63710936
Maybe, and please hear me out on this because it may be rather crazy, but stick with me here.. What if...

It's actually a good movie.
>>
I can't believe Disney killed the John Carter sequels to make room for this nonsense.
>>
>>63709813
too big to fail
>>
>>63711549
No episode 1 and 2 are both so horribly bad but in different ways. It's hard to tell which is worse.
>>
>>63711875
Thanks for keeping it vague.

I wouldn't compare Jedi to this either.

Also fuck the people that hate Jedi, it's good.
>>
Good honest review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRj29wvsjbE
>>
>>63711010
Wouldn't a light saber on a longer pole or rod be more effective than a double edged one?
>>
>>63712866
For me the best is still empire strikes back.
But you now this one is not that bad, better than 1, 2, 3 but worse than 4, 5, 6.
This is just my opinion, my friend loved it, I was like "meh".
You just have way too more battle, explosion and not enough explanations about the situation after the fall of the Empire, the force (still Midi-chlorian or as Yoda explain : the link between everything that exist in the universe ?).
And, Kylo's light saber is so lame...
>>
>>63711199
No, Episode 1 only dipped into rotten after the 3D rerelease.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.