[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>muh reskinned TIE Fighter >muh reskinned X-Wing Why are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: Poe-X-Wing.jpg (83 KB, 1000x612) Image search: [Google]
Poe-X-Wing.jpg
83 KB, 1000x612
>muh reskinned TIE Fighter
>muh reskinned X-Wing

Why are there no new ships in The Force Awakens? It's like Disney doesn't want even more toy money.
>>
They changed the engines, are you blind?
>>
>>63707090

x wings, tie fighters and the millenium falcon haven't been in a movie for 30 years, they are effectively 100% new as far as the 5-10 year old boys who are going to buy the toys are concerned.
>>
>let's cut a turbine engine in half

most retarded shit ive ever seen

and yes I know this was the original design

it was scrapped for a good reason
>>
IS THERE ANY GOOD DOGFIGHTING IN THIS MOVIE???
>>
Well since this is a GLIB SENPAI of a new hope, I'm guessing they'll introduce new ships in 8 and 9 like what the original trilogy did. But yeah no Y-wings even?
>>
>>63707173
>Turbine engine

You retards get more retarded every day
>>
Why they have glass cockpits in space? Aren't cameras, monitors and radars more useful?
>>
>>63707090
That is a fucking edge-wing.
>>
>>63707090

I don't think I going to use up any Christmas presents on getting one.
>>
>>63707163
I guess that's true, but what about the manchild collectors?

Each prequel introduced new ships for max toy $$$
>>
It actually is pretty fucking stupid they're reusing the X-Wing when the A-Wing was the successor model.
>>
File: 6102036511774.jpg (46 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
6102036511774.jpg
46 KB, 470x470
So no one thought the original TIE fighter design was a bit of mistake as basically a flying target? Even if you were a great TIE fighter pilot, you're sitting in a death trap with two targets on either side. Literally, targets.

So 30 years later, well... why not keep it the same?
>>
>>63707090
People will buy the toys even if they aren't that different. This entire movie is based on the fact that recognizability > new things.

>>63707173
>turbine engine in space
>>
I guess that top wing is made that way to snap off easily and force parents to buy multiple of this shitheap.

The cool thing about SW used to be that the designs sort of made sense. JJ-wing just doesn't. There's good reason this is actually a rejected design for the OG X-wing.
>>
>>63707343

The Force Awakens was designed to be millenials introduction to the Star Wars franchise so they too consume their products.

Millenials wont recognize TIE interceptors, so they went for the classic shapes.
>>
>>63707343
>>63707375
>>63707325

Considering the whole movie is just a rehash of the original Star Wars of course they're going to maintain the original iconic look of the x-wing and tie-fighter.

This is just marketing at work.
>>
>>63707400
I'm going to take the bait.

JJ based the new X-Wings off of the X-Wing concept art from the guy who did all the work from the original trilogy.

Also
>Complaining about logic in a Fantasy Movie with sci-fi aspects.
>>
>implying a black x-wing isn't highly toyetic
>>
>>63707090
>>63707173

hurr

>how do we let the braindead millenial audience understand that the ship has engines
>lets make it look exactly like a modern day turbine engine so people understand

hurr
>>
BECAUSE IT'S REHASH WARS

>Orphan on desert planet who is force sensitive
REY, JAKKU

>Home gets burned
YEP

>Fascist empire, a rebellion fighting against it
FIRST ORDER, THE RESISTANCE

>Dark side guy with a mask and unique lightsaber that killed all the jedi, is related to the main characters
KYLO REN

>Dark side emperor pulling the strings
SNOKE

>Death star
YEP

>Blowing up the death star
YEP

>Death of an older, wiser mentor figure
HAN SOLO

>Hermit in hiding who is a force master
LUKE

>TIE fighters, X-wings
YEP

>Stormtroopers
YEP

>Chewbacca
YEP

>Millennium Falcon
YEP
>>
>>63707448
>JJ based the new X-Wings off of the X-Wing concept art from the guy who did all the work from the original trilogy.
You're implying I'm not completely aware of that.
>>There's good reason this is actually a rejected design for the OG X-wing.

It's a shittier version of the X-wing, objectively speaking. It's an unrefined concept, and unrefined concepts are what plagued the prequels.
>>
>>63707542

POTTERY
>>
File: madstarwars1.jpg (641 KB, 1100x1479) Image search: [Google]
madstarwars1.jpg
641 KB, 1100x1479
>>63707542
>BECAUSE IT'S REHASH WARS

Abrams just playing Monkey See, Monkey Do.
>>
File: Z95headhunter_detail.png (742 KB, 1114x1470) Image search: [Google]
Z95headhunter_detail.png
742 KB, 1114x1470
>>63707090

Remember when Technology progressed and built off each other?
>>
>>63707173

my only problem is it only looks good in folded-wing mode, it looks kind of shit in x-wing mode
>>
>>63707226
it's so they can pick up their visual scanning
>>
>>63707542
You forgot:

> Droid carrying around important information happens to land at the feet of the chosen one
>>
>>63707187
dogfighting was probably the only thing done right in this movie.
>>
>>63707090
BIG BLACK TIE FIGHTER
>>
>>63707751
Instead of the front half down, back half up, I'd have rather the front and back 1/4's be the halves that go down, and the middle 1/2 go up.

Also, the engines should have been more into the fuselage, the wings split hinge would be outside the engines too, similar to the ARC-170's mechanism
>>
>>63707425
>millenials introduction to the Star Wars franchise
unless you are from before the 80es you are a millennial too
>>
>>63707689
Thanks i was going to make this image so a side-by side comparison was possible.

Look at the size of the cockpit on both. It's roughly similar. Now look how much shorter the nose is on the new one? See how much shorter the wings are? Even the engines are smaller.

The whole thing is about 30-40% smaller. That means they can make a smaller fighter toy that fits the standard sized figures at a cheaper cost.

The original models took too much plastic. I wouldn't be surprised if hasbro themselves designed all the new vehicles. Look at this old toy X-wing. Notice any similarities?
>>
File: legoxwing13.jpg (144 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
legoxwing13.jpg
144 KB, 816x612
>>63709748
forgot the image.

Take note of the dimensions of the nose and wings in relation to the cockpit area.
>>
>>63709775
one of those is a LEGO set.
both are the proper X-wing.

The new one is just the 70's McQuarrie concept taken because they couldn't be bothered to design a new one.
>>
>>63707090
The whole movie is a reskin, m8, JJ is a jew hack
>>
>>63707557
>Worrying about silly things in a fantasy movies based in outer space.

k
>>
>>63707090
Because they're smart and don't try to stray from the source material unlike the stupid designs from the prequels.
>>
DUDE GLIB FACSIMILE LMAO
>>
>>63707689
I like the new canon explanation that the X-Wing was created as a massive fuck you to the Empire for bad business deals.
>>
>>63710491
as opposed to the old canon being it was a rejected fighter series, so the engineers defected to the rebels with a production run and plans to make more?
>>
>>63709775

Fuck I still kinda want to get a SW lego set for Christmas even at age of 24
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.