[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: everest_movie_poster_2.jpg (214 KB, 800x1185) Image search: [Google]
everest_movie_poster_2.jpg
214 KB, 800x1185
Thoughts?
>>
A glib facsimile of Vertical Limit
>>
>>63703879
Absolutely boring and pointless. The least tense survival film ever made.
>>
>>63703879
Was hyped. Came out disappointed. Way more worth it to watch one of the several documents on it or similar accidents. Also, Everest is babby's K2.
>>
I liked it as an Everest story, I love mountaineering and that sort of thing. As a movie I think the introduction was a bit too long, Josh Brolin's character was just plain annoying by the end, Jake Gyllenhaal is under utilized, and the end has a shallow pay off.
>>
Beyond the Edge is still the best movie about Everest.
>>
>>63703879
My family started watching it but I dropped it 1 minute in because I could sense its weakness. I watched Suspiria instead and then asked them what they thought and they all said it was shit. One day they'll trust me.
>>
not enough Jake Gyllenhaal
I still don't get why he died desu, he seemed experienced
>>
solid 7/10 film and made me change my mind in Jason Clarke

I rate it in my top 10 films of 2015, but its been a poor year
>>
Watched it last week. Josh Brolin was awesome. The Nepal pilot was awesome. Everything else but the visuals was "meh".

Also, how many times did Keira Knightley say "I'm good" in that terrible accent?

Also, wasn't it weird that Robin Wright played a woman from Dallas with brown hair that married a rich guy? Its weird if you've seen House of Cards.
>>
The story wasn't "thick" enough to justify a movie. It had the most emotional cinematic moment of the year for me though.
>>
>>63703879
Reading the book atm. Had a look at the plot and this looks like it completely fucks the story to bits.

It's be dope if it was shot like jarhead, as there is humour in the book along with a ton of sinicism like at the end of jarhead. And it needs one main character who interacts with others who are key for small parts of the story.

>tl;dr Hollywood once again trashes a perfectly good book to make a shit film
>>
>>63703991
Annapurna is the most dangerous (due to avalanche risk), K2 apart from being dangerous as well is probably the most difficult/technical 8000 to climb
>>
>>63703879
It was great, i really enjoyed this movie. Jake Gyllenhaal was great as always also Josh Brolin was amazing.

>>63704746
I think his body was unable because he did go up and down too quick to drop that dude. His body give up so he accepted his faith.
>>
>>63704746
Cerebral edema. At those altitude your body is dying, is just a matter of time. If you are well acclimated, rested, hydrated, etc, you probably could resist 1 or 2 day max at 8000. Most of the time, is just a few hours.
>>
>>63705870
I won't spoil it since you're reading but let it be known that the book takes a big shit on the best story of the group, which is perhaps one of the best survival stories of all time.
>>
>>63706522
>>63705870
>the book
Sorry, the MOVIE takes a big shit, not the book.
>>
>>63706550
The movie really takes a massive shit on the author though, makes him look like a total bitch
>>
>>63706578
Eh, I find the actor that plays him annoying so I'm not the best judge. Still I found him cynical and slightly unlikeable but that's not the end of the world. That one person I'm talking about had it way worse. You know who.

But hey at least Anatoly got his due.
>>
>>63706840
They made him look just lazy and whiny when he didn't help looking for the rest of the crew near the end, they didn't really show how much it took out of him to get to camp in the first place
>>
>>63706920
That's part of what really put me off about it. Either through exposition, dialogue or acting, they NEVER make a point of letting the audience know how hard it is, how dangerous, how tired you are, how cold and how at risk of losing limbs and shit and all that. It's a handwavy "your body is literally dying" at the start of the movie and let's plow on. Most people are going to be looking at it going, "wtf all you do is walk on snow? shit's easy".

Shit that was damn near miraculous never looks the part. Danger never looks the part. Exhaustion doesn't either. I dunno, maybe I had unrealistic expectations but I thought it was a big letdown.
>>
>>63703879
I was very pleased it didn't turned out to be some super hollywood-ized generic drama shit.
it really felt like those people where actually stuck there and when shit gets real there are some really tense scenes that still give me the chills
Jake Gyllenhaal looks like a fucking mongoloid in that poster
>>
>tfw this scene didn't appear
I must have watched the korean one
>>
>>63705506
keira's accent is pretty much perfect from the trailers
>>
>>63707013
>handwavy
This.

Its what really annoyed me about the movie. How were we supposed to know that guy was hallucinating when he said the O tanks were empty? How were we supposed to know Jake Gyllenhall was having an edema when it looked like he was just hungover at the start of the climb? The whole movie could have been so much better if they cut the intro a little bit and added on all the deaths.
>>
Do you think Everest will get an Oscar nomination?
>>
>>63706550
Yeah, should've used Jake as the author for that sarcasm filled guy that can see the hypocrisy and potential for disaster.

The book is his experience of what happened, and he could see going in that disaster was probably going to happen given the other teams on the mountain, along with bad luck. He also sees both sides of the elite climbers wanting Everest to be sacred and not filled with rich people getting their kicks, and seeing that guiding rich folk can make a good living for someone.

Book is enthralling, this looks like it's a disaster story on steroids a la every other Hollywood disaster film.

A cynically shot film from his perspective with other story's intertwined where they actually did with his experiences would be a far better film.
>>
>>63707570
maybe adapted screenplay at a stretch
>>
>>63707570

the mountain? Probably best supporting actor. Did support those actors all the way to the top I guess

It would be pretty hilarious that a mountain beat Leo "bear rape" Dicaprio though
>>
>>63707570
No chance
>>
>>63706063
You also have to travel through the taliban homeland in pakistan to get to k2. I'd be more worried about being kidnapped and beheaded
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.