[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Curious if anyone here has seen the Shining miniseries? I wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: The_Shining_(miniseries).jpg (38 KB, 340x465) Image search: [Google]
The_Shining_(miniseries).jpg
38 KB, 340x465
Curious if anyone here has seen the Shining miniseries? I wanted to here people's perspectives on it if they have.
>>
>>63703536
I liked it. It's much more faithful to the book than the Kubrick/Nicholson version.
>>
>>63703780
Yeah it is although I didn't find it as chilling as Kubrick's version.
>>
>>63703780
But the Kubrick/Nicholson version is 10x better than the book.
>>
>>63703956
I have never read the book although judging from the mini series: Kubrick mainly just left out alot of information say regarding the women who killed herself as this is never explained in the film so it is more of a shock of what is in that room etc.

The way Kubrick edited the scene with Nicholson realizing the women he was kissing is a decaying corpse, with cuts to Danny foaming was so disturbing when I was watching it at 2 am for the first time.
>>
>>63703536
its alright. It just can't compare to the kubrick version. Most of the dialogue and scenes are 100% the same only you have significantly worse actors and direction. Its worth a watch but you don't enjoy it more than the kubrick version unless you're some sort of autistic bookfag.
>>
>>63704507
The way they did Steven Weber's make-up when he transformed into his evil side was one of the best parts of the mini series. If no one has seen it then I highly recommend you seeing how he looked (I won't post any images if no one wants a spoiler) although he doesn't turn until half way through Episode 3 so wether you are up to watching 2 hours. I found 40 minutes to be just him and his wife arguing in the lounge room of the hotel which didn't pick up much of the pace.

Otherwise from not reading the book, this miniseries gave me all the answers I needed which the Kubrick one ignored. But I see no replay value with the miniseries as the Kubrick one has.
>>
>>63703536
THAT FUCKING KID I SWEAR TO GOD
>>
>>63704625
He had the worst mouth that wouldn't close and his voice..
>>
>>63703536
King is a hack who can't write a single chapter without muh alcoholism and to this day is shitter shattered about Kubrick. He's the kind of creator whose ego surpasses his appreciation for art and has jack shit of credibility considering the trainwreck that was Maximum Overdrive.
>>
>>63705949
>He's the kind of creator whose ego surpasses his appreciation for art
so he is like George Lucas?
>>
>>63705949
I read he had father issues and that his father walked out on him when he was very young
>>
>>63705949
Kubrick is what you call the ultimate filmmaker genius: who took King's book and made it into something so much more mysterious and haunting. When King worked on the miniseries, he didn't even make it that scary at all.. I was watching a family with issues for most of the 3 hours.

I wish Kubrick was still alive today because there ain't many directors like him who can take a story and turn it into something so much more...
>>
>>63706189
I was actually going to make that point but felt like making it would straddle copypasta territory, but yeah.
>>
>>63706189
The George Lucas connection is even deeper if you ever get the chance to read Dr. Sleep (king's unnecessary sequel to the shining). It's just god awful.
>>
>>63703956

they are too different

you probably didin't even read the book anyway, this is tv
>>
>hyped for boiler explosion at end
>CG hedge animals are terrible, but no way can they fuck up an explosion
>they don't have even have an explosion and the hotel just casually burns with CG flames
Overall 3/10
>>
>>63706335
Is the father still the main character in Dr. Sleep? I entirely forgot how the King version of shining ends..
>>
It's alright. It's more faithful to the book but the performances are less memorable.
>>
>>63706294
>i was watching a family with issues for most of the 3 hours
That's literally the fucking book, the ghosts only take advantage and exacerbate of these issues. King hates kubricks film because jack is supposed to be a father under serious stress that finally fucking cracks when the hotel takes advantage of him but ultimately stops himself out of love for his son, it was supposed to be an allegory for king fighting his coke addiction or some shit.

The movie IS better than the book, but i can see why king hates it.
>>
File: the_hedges_by_lachtaube-d4c1ifi.png (658 KB, 900x623) Image search: [Google]
the_hedges_by_lachtaube-d4c1ifi.png
658 KB, 900x623
>>63706471
even this fan drawing did a much better job at the representation of the live hedge animals than this miniseries
>>
>>63706523
>That's literally the fucking book
well then the book sounds very bland and boring (sorry to say).

It is like what one critic said on IMDB: Kubrik made the Hotel a viscous character/antagonist hence the blood etc. The hotel was just a hotel in the King version for not alot actually happened.
>>
File: stephen_king.jpg (12 KB, 280x424) Image search: [Google]
stephen_king.jpg
12 KB, 280x424
>>63703536
friendly reminder Stephen King's gross negligence as a director led legendary cinematographer Armando Nannuzzi to lose a fucking eyeball on set.

>>63706473
No, the main character is Danny Torrance. He mentors a young girl who has psychic powers that dwarf his, so in a way it's like poetry, it rhymes. Hopefully it'll work.
>>
>>63706473
I just read the book a couple months ago and i already fucking forgot, pretty sure jack dies when the hotel blows up from the boiler after saving his son from himself.
>>
>>63706654
I take it King did not go to film school where they teach you everything to do with safety on set, making sure someone at all times is standing near equipment which is in use, being aware where the cords are etc...
>>
>>63706709
in all fairness he admitted he was high on cocaine the whole time.
>>
>>63706739
>he was high on cocaine the whole time.
WHAT THE HECK??
The guy is deluded
>>
>>63703956
I entirely agree.

It is hard to explain what makes Kubrick's version so good. It is like a very creepy old art piece where you just can't help to not look away because it spellbinds you
>>
>>63706763
King freely admits a good portion of his books are either on cocaine or writing about getting over cocaine.
>>
I tried to watch it when it originally aired, but couldn't sit through it. If they were going to use a "Wings" cast member, they could have at least went with Lowell.
>>
I saw it. The kid's face pissed me off.
>>
>>63706871
yeah it really drained me.. considering the second episode, 35 minutes or so is just the father and wife arguing in the lounge no joke.
>>
>>63706937
The Kubrick version is one of the best paced, tightest pieces of storytelling I have ever seen, considering that it still leaves so much ambiguity.
>>
>>63706986
Yeah it was a real treat watching the behind the scenes b-roll on the blu ray release.
>>
File: demornay_shining.jpg (34 KB, 507x768) Image search: [Google]
demornay_shining.jpg
34 KB, 507x768
dat rebecca de mornay tho
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.