[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone really surprised that SW:FA turned out to be copycat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: j-j-abrams.jpg (490 KB, 1600x1141) Image search: [Google]
j-j-abrams.jpg
490 KB, 1600x1141
Is anyone really surprised that SW:FA turned out to be copycat material? Let's take a look at J.J. Abrams' notable career projects:

>LOST
A show that's literally about nothing except hyping the next episode, and then the next season, by pretending that something might happen. Abrams is incapable of creating a story on his own.

>Star Trek
Movies built on someone else's IP that constantly "nod" to the original material so that people don't forget that it's Star Trek.

>Star Trek: Into Darkness
Literally a copied storied so poorly executed that Abrams had to throw in a time/dimension traveling Spock to explain what the fuck is going on to all the people who didn't watch the show.

He's a hack who can't create anything original.
>>
a glib facsimile
>>
Don't forget mission impossible. I know its hard not to.
>>
IS JJ THE PUFF DADDY OF FLICKS?
>>
>>63701699
and Super 8 was a synthetic '80s Spielberg film
>>
>>63701699
hey honestly I'm really fucking happy that he directed the force awakens because now more people can realize he's full of shit and should be despised

felt like I was the only one saying this type of shit fot years.... YEARS DAMNIT FUCK I HATE JJ

I'm so glad he got star wars tho

I agree wholeheartedly, op
>>
>>63701699
>>Star Trek
>Movies built on someone else's IP that constantly "nod" to the original material so that people don't forget that it's Star Trek.

you make it seem a lot less worse than it was. it wasn't a nod. he completely ruined kirk's backstory.
>>
File: girlslaughing5.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
girlslaughing5.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>>63701699

>Star Trek

lol fuckin nerds
>>
>>63701843
and he did not understand Spock on any level
>>
>>63701861
Your jew god made that movie.
>>
>>63701805
And Cloverfield was Blair Witch meets Godzilla. He literally had the idea when his son pointed out there was no major Godzilla clone in the US aside from Kong.
>>
>>63701699
Don't forget how he ripped of ET/Goonies with that dumb Super 8 movie.

and Cloverfield is just every monster movie ever BUT WITH SHAKYCAM
>>
More like JJ Hackbrams. Prequels are the most underrated movies of the last 20 years, AOTC is basically the peak of sci-fi/action movies.
>>
>>63701699
So, correct me if I may indeed be wrong,

but it appears that what you're trying to say is...

Jew Jew is actually a glib facsimile director of glibest order of facsimile?
>>
>>63701901
No. The prequels were terrible movies, regardless of franchise expectations. By the same logic, everything Abrams has shit out has been gold because of adequate special effects.
>>
>>63701699
Question: Why is Tarantino allowed to do this but you guys erupt into a SJW-like outrage when someone else does?
>>
>>63702833
Quentin doesn't copy, he steals and does it his way
>>
>>63702833
Tarantino makes better flicks
>>
>>63701699
>A show that's literally about nothing except hyping the next episode, and then the next season, by pretending that something might happen. Abrams is incapable of creating a story on his own.

Same can be said about most modern TV series, the goal is just to make audience watch the next shit. Considering it had a decent viewership and ran for several seasons, we can say Abrams is successful.
>>
>>63702833
He does it to obscure b movies, JJ does it to movies everyone on the planet watched
>>
Two things OP

>He barely had any involvement in LOST, that was from the mind of Lindelof 98% of the time

>You forgot Alias
>>
File: 1441864630787.gif (16 KB, 500x535) Image search: [Google]
1441864630787.gif
16 KB, 500x535
>>63702833
le tarantino is bad maymay
>>
>>63702833
Tartifooto is pretty frank about his influences. He doesn't copy shot-for-shot scenes from other movies while being secretive about where it all came from.

But at least JJA doesn't outright lie, like Tim Burton does. "I've never read a Batman comics" my ass! Batman 89 and Batman Returns are shot-for-pannel identical to the source material.
>>
>>63702935
Alias... you mean the show about spies that JJA had to ruin with his timey whimey fetish?

>muh time travel in the form of a prophecy

Fuck, he puts that shit everywhere. LOST. Felicity (what the fuck was that series finale time travelling bullshit about?), Regarding Henry (muh time travel in the form of amnesia), Forever Young (muh time travel in the form of being frozen), ST&ST:ID, etc.

Tarantino might have a foot fetish, but JJA is all about the time travel fetish.
>>
>>63701699
Star Wars ANH was a copy of The Hidden Fortress and just about every single fable from every culture ever. Return of the Jedi was a copy of ANH. Out of three films, Lucas made two of them be about Rebels taking out the Death Star.

Don't get on your high horse about that kind of shit when you're talking about incredibly unoriginal films made purely to sell toys to idiots like you.
>>
>>63703062

Not that guy, but JJ wasn't involved with LOST at all except for being involved on two or three episodes.

This is admitted to by JJ as well as the rest of the people on board. Basically, they attached his name to get it sold.

Carlton Cuse who had a huge influence on the show had time-travel\time-loop stuff going on in his previous show Brisco County Junior. Timetravel is a very common trope thing.
>>
>>63702978
back to mexico, faggot
>>
>>63703126
>Star Wars ANH was a copy of The Hidden Fortress and just about every single fable from every culture ever
OP's point is that Abrams wouldn't have bothered to synthesize all of these influences into a new story. He would have made The Hidden Fortress II.
>>
>>63703439
He didn't synthesise anything into a new story. Those elements are already in these fables. To Lucas' credit he admitted it at the time and said that Hero With 1000 Faces, a book about how there's only really one fable in our shared human history, was a big influence.

He copied The Hidden Fortress even down to the two comedic sidekicks in the form of R2D2 and C3PO (obviously they weren't robots in THF but one was thin, the other fat, at least). He then repeated the same fucking story in RotJ. I mean, what a typical sequelly thing - you know the Death Star from the first film? Well IT'S BACK AND BIGGER THAN BEFORE OOOOO. Not only is that rehashing a film you made from only 6 years ago, it's also undermining the film. All that effort to get rid of the Death Star and they just made another one anyway?
>>
>>63702983

The only way this is true is if you count the Batman 89 and Batman Returns comics. In which case, if this is not an epic ruse, you should be made aware that the comics were adapted from the movies.

If you sincerely didn't know that, congratulations on being a fucking moron.
>>
>>63702833
>SJW-like outrage
That would be if we were trying to get Abrams fired and ruin his life, why must you say such obviously false things?
>>
He is responsible for one of the most culturally influential franchises of course he's gonna play it safe. He has fucking manchildren breathing down his neck if he fucks it up he will receive an incredible backlash from the most autistic sperg fanbase of all time. He can't do anything right because retards will always complain about something. Star Wars is now known as a children's movie and is not made for any artistic merit, it is made to sell merchandise
>>
>>63702833
The difference is that Tarantino steals bits from many sources and put together all the parts he liked into his own creation. JJ can't even do that. It's the first rule of originality.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.