[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there more horror movies about insane asylums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: dPXsy3U.jpg (277 KB, 1200x960) Image search: [Google]
dPXsy3U.jpg
277 KB, 1200x960
Why aren't there more horror movies about insane asylums?

It seems like the perfect setting, but i can only think of a handful of movies set in one
>>
>>63687200
I think the idea of abusive and cruel asylums just isn't fresh on anyone's mind.That and the more purposeful attempt to reduce the stigma of mental illness in society.

There do seem to be a lot of low budget horror movies that take place in asylums or old psychiatric hospitals. But they almost all seem to be young ghost hunters trying to make a version of that SyFy tv show or some poorly thought out reality show where you spend the night in a haunted place but something goes horribly wrong. They're never that good.
>>
>>63687200

Because the classic huge insane asylum is a meme and only existed around the turn of the last century.
>>
Because we have a better understanding of mental illness now than when asylums actually existed. People know its a serious but treatable problem and not some scary thing to be locked away and ignored
>>
>>63687723

They're not really treated, patients are just heavily sedated if they're too crazy.
>>
>>63687685
>>63687723

I'm talking about abandoned ones though. Where there will be vengeful spirits and shit.
>>
>>63687789
Right, there's only so much to be done. But its not like back in the day when asylums were full of madmen tied up all day screaming. Ill people are medicated, and most of the time their families care for them. They're in the public eye and thus get more sympathy than when they were abandoned and never spoken of

>>63687816
Its the same thing. Society has shifted from "its a mad house, crazy people lived there" to "its a hospital, they try to make people better there". Its not PC to stigmatize the mentally ill anymore, and thats a good thing
>>
>>63687200
Can you even imagine how many people were drugged and raped in those places? Holy shit.
>>
>session 9
>house on haunted hill
>grave encounters
>>
>>63687926
>Its not PC to stigmatize the mentally ill anymore, and thats a good thing

Well, hellooooooooooo Reddit!
>>
>>63687200
The second season of American Horror Story
>>
>>63689511
>shit
>shit
>shit
>>
>The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Oh wait you guys havent heard of German art films
>>
File: mansfield_1953.jpg (654 KB, 1194x1211) Image search: [Google]
mansfield_1953.jpg
654 KB, 1194x1211
>>63687685
>>63687533
>>63687816
>>63687926

It's because there are hardly any left standing - either rotting or functional. To most people they are just stories and old things in pictures. After Regan shut them all down in the mid 80s, most just sat empty. The late 90s would've been a good time, before most cities enacted demolition permits for all of them.

Waverly Hills in Louisville KY was a hot place about 10 years ago, but after TWO shitty movies filmed there, people kinda gave up.

also, LEO is int he works for an asylum movie about Athens OH.

source: i photograph and research asylums
>>
>>63687926
>Its not PC to stigmatize the mentally ill anymore, and thats a good thing
But that's not what they're doing. Most of these movies actively portray these institutions as horrible places, if anyone's stigmatized it's the doctors and nurses that worked there.
>>
If you guys want to see a fictional NON-HORROR video of an asylum, watch the beginning of Return to Oz.

They accurately portray a 1901 asylum as a place where doctors really thought they were making people better. IMO those scenes are more sinister than any over the top horror scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay5HmciZhXg
>>
>Nixon puts the mentally ill out on the street to beg instead of in the asylum
Oh wow we sure are an enlightened culture! Progress!
I fucking hate this unaware society
>>
File: tv-athens.jpg (117 KB, 850x672) Image search: [Google]
tv-athens.jpg
117 KB, 850x672
>>63687200
rekt
>>
>>63690082

Yeah my mother told me about that. She talked about how the basically cleared out the asylums and gave crazy people a bus ticket and told them to fuck off as they closed them.
>>
>>63690112
perennial oscar chaser
>>
>>63690082
>>63690143
I'm pretty sure it was Reagan who did that, in the mid-80s, with the whole deinstitutionization of Asylums and termination of federal funds,
>>
>>63690202

Yeah there weren't massive amounts of homeless before then.
>>
>>63689746
you're a child.
>>
There's a mental hospital in Vancouver, Canada that they shoot a shit ton of movies and TV in and have for years. From X-Files to See No Evil 2.
>>
>>63687723
>People know its a serious but treatable problem and not some scary thing to be locked away and ignored

Yeah, now we celebrate it.
>>
>>63691178
Christ when did Dunst get so fucking old?
>>
I saw a Mexican one that was "found footage" but unfortunately it is exactly what >>63687533 described.
'Archivo 253' is the name of the movie if you decide you want to watch it just for the laffs.
>>
File: freudheadon.jpg (37 KB, 525x400) Image search: [Google]
freudheadon.jpg
37 KB, 525x400
>>6368974
My dear young man. you are too young to play a contrarian edgelord. It requires a feel for the subtleties of film, which I am sad to say, you completely lack.Now I shall write a prescription for you, and my nurse will call your mother to come pick you up; oh! and please come and see me again when your voice changes.
>>
>>63691178
is "see no evil 2" any good?
>>
>>63690382
>>63692650
meant for
>>
>>63689568
>its reddit to have a better understanding of diseases and how to treat them, and not push the whole thing under the rug
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.