[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this flick get such acclaim? The acting is awful, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: existenz.jpg (86 KB, 600x795) Image search: [Google]
existenz.jpg
86 KB, 600x795
Why does this flick get such acclaim? The acting is awful, the dialog makes me wince, the plot is baffling (not deep or complicated, just confusing as to why someone would think it's a good idea), and the effects are just pretty good. Is it just because it's attached to a big name like Cronenberg?
>>
Because everything you said is wrong.
>>
who gives this shit movie "acclaim"

did acclaim take the opposite meaning overnight or something
>>
This is widely dismissed as one of Cronenberg's worst films.
>>
>>63682308
Yes, and it's the worst kept secret in cinema that Cronenberg's so called "worst" films are actually his best ones.
>>
It wasn't met with acclaim. A lot of people, such as yourself, call/called it bad, so those of us who are not braindead were pleasantly surprised by movie which was both funny and likable (sexy too).
>>
>>63682160
How is it acclaimed? It only has ok at best reviews.
And yes it's pretty bland, even the effects aren't really good compared to what Cronenberg has done before.
>>
>>63682160
is that a meat gun?
>>
The salmon factory scene was perfect
>>
ITT: plebs who didn't get Cronenberg's best movie
>>
>>63682160
Death to the demoness Allegra Geller!
>>
>>63682497
It won a Silver Bear, dude. A Silver Bear.
>>
>>63682530
The Fly isn't hard to get.
>>
because it's a good movie
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 400x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 400x218
>>63682498
Kinda
>>
>>63682530

HA

existenz isn't even in his top 5 bruh
>>
I'm certain if it didn't have Davey's name behind it it would be completely forgotten a year after its release.
>>
Crazy and senseless but the horrible mutated amphibians are memorable
>>
>>63682684
eXistenZ. Written like this. One word. Small 'E', capital 'X', capital 'Z'. 'eXistenZ'. It's new, it's from Antenna Research, and it's here... right now.
>>
>>63682513
>salmon factory
you are new to Trout Farm?
>>
>>63682765
Not really, tbn femme. I was suffering from gastritis when I watched it and I didn't even feel queasy.
>>
>>63682160

Existenz seems weirdly crappy unless you are familiar with early-to-mid 90's point and click adventure games. Cronenberg absolutely NAILS the stilted dialogue, absurd puzzles/plots and disjointed atmosphere of these kind of games.
>>
>>63682388

this
>>
File: boop.gif (1 MB, 288x285) Image search: [Google]
boop.gif
1 MB, 288x285
EXISTENZ
IS
PAUSED
>>
I thought it was fun. It's ultimately dissatisfying as a movie because it acknowledges it's own pointlessness and the possible unreality of everything, but I like to think about things like that, and believe it's healthy to do so. Recommended.
>>
Like you wouldn't lick her bioport too
>>
Because teenagers watch it and get their minds blown.
>>
>existential crisis: young adult edition
... I mean this should be obvious.
>>
>>63682160
>The acting is awful, the dialog makes me wince

Don't agree with either of these. I enjoyed it mostly because of the atmosphere and the visceral body-horror. Also as a spiritual sequel to Videodrome. I mean, that's silly too, in retrospect "A new twist in video" come the fuck on but you don't ask questions, you just get in and go where Davey Crone is taking you.
>>
>>63682160

>The acting is awful

This is the first "critique" of the film

Nice 14 year old critique, kid.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.