[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the UFO supposed to be? Did have a meaning? Or just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7
File: 1.jpg (62 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
62 KB, 675x450
So what was the UFO supposed to be? Did have a meaning? Or just a Magnolia-esque nonsensical addition for the effect?
>>
>Magnolia frogs
>nonsense
But it did happen
>>
>Aliens show up
Everybody stops killing each other for 2.2 seconds.
>Aliens leave
Everybody goes right back to the killing

Goes to show how much everyone had at stake, and that they'd keep doing what they were doing regardless of some ayy lmaos showing up.
>>
>>63677562
>Did have a meaning?

Yes, it means that Hawley is an idiot who believes in a "Coen-verse." The UFO makes sense to him because Fargo takes place in the same universe as The Man Who Wasn't There.
>>
>>63677562
>So what was the UFO supposed to be?

A lot of times, the show has had nods and references to Coen brothers movies. In The Man Who Wasn't There, the UFO serves as a capper to the process we've seen throughout the film where each character is revealed to contradict the assumptions we're led to make about them on our first encounter. Big Dave, the back-slapping alpha, is a blowhard who lied about his war record. Creighton Tolliver the salesman must, we think, be a crook, yet it is his very honesty - the scrupulously maintained contracts - that leads to Ed being convicted of his murder. Birdie appears sweet and innocent, and we assume Ed's interest in her is at least somewhat prurient - but it's she who tries to seduce him, to his evident horror. Even Freddy Riedenschneider, the fast-talking lawyer, manages in his closing statement to summarise Ed as no-one could before, just as his brother-in-law, who hasn't said a meaningful word all through the film, poses outright the film's ultimate question: What kind of man is Ed?

And when we meet Big Dave's widow, we assume her story of abduction is a fantasy, a way for her to account for the distance between her husband and her, their lack of intimacy, his philandering. But then we're shown the UFO. Ed sees it, too, but since he is the only character who is exactly as he appears, he just turns his back and walks away. No surprises there.

I must confess, I don't really have a clue what possible symbolic value the UFO might have in the TV series. Can only think it might have something to do with the talk about trying to create a new language. Not sure it really worked if so.

I think it might be better to just think of it as though the story was constructed by survivor's accounts, and that Lou and Peggy both saw SOMETHING etc.
>>
>>63677562
Aliens
Indians
Germans descendants
Blacks

territorial conquest

is so hard for people like you to see the big picture!
>>
>>63678263

And so easy to throw out four unrelated buzzwords and start crowing about how dumb everyone else is. Suspiciously easy, in fact. I bet even I could do it.
>>
>>63678160
The way he talked about the new language, it sounded like he was just creating another Mandarin
>The house is a house!

At the shoot out, Peggy didn't care about the UFO, she had bigger fish to fry. Leaving only Lou to decide whether or not to put it in. No one would believe Peggy if she talked about it, she had an over active imagination. Lou wouldn't put it in the report, as he was too practical.

Besides, it is a series set in the Midwest. And this one was in the 90s. Better have a small amount of X-Files in it.
>>
>>63678317
maybe you should watch all again from chapter 1, without shitposting on /tv at the same time
>>
>>63678387

Maybe you should find a better hobby than pretending to be smart on the internet. Maybe something you're good at, this time.
>>
>>63677562
I think it was just flavor. There was a UFO craze at the time.
>>
>>63678438
ok, so you think aliens are a non metaphorical part of the plot?
>>
>>63678377
>>63678484
Oh ya, Margie. The Truth is out there, don'tya know.
>>
>>63678497
>ok, so you think aliens are part of the plot?

They literally changed nothing. Nobody changed their behavior because the ayys showed up.
>>63677863
>>
Fargo is a Midwestern myth in structure. UFOs are mythical to the Midwest. This season dealt with all major characters worried about or fighting against the future. Rye's death at the beginning is a cipher and the inciting incident itself. He didn't want to be the youngest Gerhardt. He was going to write his own destiny on brand new electronic typewriters ("Spaceships, really"). The characters all struggle against different things, yet common thematic link is always a fear of the future. Dodd fears a time when women can be in charge. Floyd and Bear fear a corporate criminal world where there is no family left. Lou and Hank and Betsy all fear her likely death from cancer. Peggy fears Midwestern housewife boredom and Ed fears a life without it. The UFO showing up at the end of the episode is foreshadowed when Lou is at the payphone trying to reach a collapsed Betsy. We cut to the interior of the store where Hahnzee shot the man behind the counter and there is a UFO bumper sticker. This time we see another sign that says "The Future is Here", echoing Mike's line from the episode before where he calls the KC gang the same thing. The UFO is a symbol showing us that no matter how hard the characters within struggle against it, their narrative is controlled by an often invisible hand (I.e. Hawley, but also the unstopping march of time.)
>>
>>63678317
Uh, what? Old being replaced by the new is a running theme in the series. They spell this out pretty clearly. There's always something coming that will replace you / everything you've ever done.
>>
>>63678794
Hawley, stop explaining your themes that didn't come across in the poorly written and constructed television show. Subtextual themes mean nothing if you can't convey them properly.
>>
>>63679016
If you think I'm Hawley and that these themes are hard to get from the show then maybe you shouldn't watch TV of Movies.
>>
>>63679016
You're genuinely retarded if these themes weren't immediately obvious as you watched the show
>>
>>63678794
>>63678923
>>63679016
>>63679053
>>63679112

Hanzee's final scene practically spells it all out. Empires rise and fall, but badassery is forever.

Aliens still aren't part of the plot though. They never make anyone change their actions.
>>
>>63678794
Yr pretty gud
>>
>>63678377
>90's

Guess again
>>
>>63679053
>>63679112
You can apply those vague themes to practically any work of fiction ever. All the foreshadowing and pseudo-intellectual interpretations in the world don't make up for a poorly constructed narrative, characters, and dialogue.
>>
>>63679266
>1979
>>
>>63679281
I dont understand how the midwestern myth coupled with UFOs and those being metaphors for an uncertain future is vague and can be applied to many other shows but everything else you said was an opinion that seems pretty subjective to you and people who are butthurt about a subtle ending who've never seen the film
>>
>>63679281
I'd be willing to listen to what about the plot feels poorly constructed and what dialogue bothered you. I never said the themes are particularly deep, or unique to Fargo, but I think the show does an excellent job of implementing them in character, dialogue, action, and mis en scene, so I'd be curious what about it you object to being well made. Got examples?
>>
Any other Southern Albertans here? I love guessing where they filmed the different scenes.

>hardmode: highway scenes
>>
>>63679344
Fear of the future and the unknown is a commonality of almost every human being on the planet, it's not unique to the midwest and it's not unique to the symbolism of UFOs.
>>
>>63679346
Sure, the dialogue is heavy-handed, having characters often speak in monologues about some historical parallel or metaphor. The plot is simply dumb people killing each other in different ways with no effort into build-up, payoff, or flow. The action is cartoonish and uses CGI blood. The mise-en-scene is inauthentic and gimmicky, split screen doesn't mean that you are capturing the seventies aesthetic. And this is ignoring the glaring fact that all of these things are vastly inferior pastiches of the Coen Brothers.
>>
>>63679425
I'm genuinely curious what other shows used UFO as symbolism or metaphor for anything.

And besides that, the fear of the future and unknown are being explicitly tied to the UFOs, there are other themes going on too.
>>
>>63679568
So you're saying Fargo is the first show to use UFOs as a metaphor in the history of fiction? To tie previously unknown intelligent life outside of our species and planet with fear? The vastness of the universe with existential crises? They must be pretty smart.
>>
>>63679737
I'm saying its not something that could be attributed to every other show because of how "vague" you said it was.
>>
>>63680238
Again, fear of the future and the unknown can be applied to practically every work of fiction ever.
>>
>>63680347
And using UFOs to convey that theme probably isn't applicable to most fiction approaching those themes. I don't understand what the fuck it is you're arguing since you came into the thread arguing that they weren't cpnveyed correctly and as soon as someone corrects you you switched gear to how vague the themes were. When confronted with how there are many themes going you stuck to your vague argument. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I am not sure what it is you're arguing
>>
>>63678794
>fighting against the future
I see what you did there.
>>
>>63679555

Ya hit the nail on the head
>>
>>63679555
All opinion, and the opposite could be argued of each thing could be argued.

What show do you think played out its season better?
>>
File: 1359240734239.png (17 KB, 241x230) Image search: [Google]
1359240734239.png
17 KB, 241x230
>mfw Ted Dansons office runes were just because he played too much Metal Gear Solid V
>>
>>63681034
Your autismo video game wasn't even out in the 70s you crossposting retard.
>>
>>63680869
I'm arguing that applying intellectual interpretations to a work of art doesn't mean it inherently has substance. You can interpret character motivations and subtextual themes all you want, but if a show is still poorly written and made on a basic level then the deeper interpretation is essentially meaningless and it doesn't deserve that level of scrutiny. If you can't construct a narrative that has consistency and reinforces themes in artful ways then you shouldn't be expecting your audience to interpret things on a metaphorical level.
>>
>>63681176
>Esperanto is now a weeb meme

What has this world come to? I fear the future / ayy lmaos
>>
>>63681028
The use of monologues, poor plot structure, CGI blood, and gimmicky camera tricks are examples not opinions, and saying you can argue the opposite without providing any for yourself is ridiculous. There's only one show that's worth watching right now but I'm don't want to hear you just shit all over it and then say my defense is just my opinion.
>>
Stop fucking going on about this shit. It wasn't nonsense, the whole show (and pretty much the entirety of the 'Fargo' universe) is about these kind of absurd occurrences, regardless of whether they have "meaning" or not. At the time, and you can even fucking look this shit up, police officers stated that they had witnessed UFO's, and there was a huge ayylmao craze in America during the late 70's. The show states "This is a true story", but, just like the first season and the movie, is an exaggerated re-telling of said events. Sure, it was strange, but it's not like it was brought up and never mentioned again; Lou said in the finale that it's best not to mention it in the report. I think the whole point of this UFO appearing in the show is basically riffing on the idea that, what if, that dude in 1979 actually DID see a UFO. Sure, it didn't need to be there, but its not as if it was out of the blue; there's even a fucking UFO sighting in the first ep, and nobody seemed to care. It was a great season, maybe not as good as the first, but great nonetheless. I really don't understand why this has caused so much controversy here.
>>
>>63681367
>There's only one show that's worth watching right now but I'm don't want to hear you just shit all over it and then say my defense is just my opinion.
Not that guy but what is it? I think there's truth to your assessment of Fargo and I'd like to know what you think is better right now.
>>
>>63677924
>Implying the Coen-verse doesn't exist.
>Capitol Pictures appears in both Barton Fink and Hail, Ceasar!
>Hotel Fire in Barton Fink referenced in newspaper in Millers Crossing.
>Law firm Whitehall and Marsh referenced in both A Serious Man and Burn after Reading.
>Nic Cage works for Hudsucker Industries in Raising Arizona.
>>
>>63681220
But that is an opinion you hold, where as someone could argue that the show did an excellent job reinforcing its themes. That particular one is one of the many that the show works with, whereas your post seems to imply that is the one major theme of the show when there is obviously more going on, from Reagan Presidency to coporate america and its effects on the characters and time. I think the show does this far better than you give it credit.

>>63681367

Yhise are opinions, you need to provode examples of poorly written dialogue in order to back up the opinion that the dialogue is poorly written
>>
>>63681367

I wasn't going to shit on it m8. I wanted to know to see where you were coming from as far as good television goes.

The board is already shit I just want to talk about tv and movies
>>
>>63681445
There's only one show this season that is truly great and worth watching: The Knick It's been a dismal year for dramatic television, but it is almost brilliant enough for me not to care.
>>
>>63681496
This is like making that jump that all of those little easter eggs hidden in pixar movies are proof that it's all supposed to take place in the same "universe".

The very idea of the movie "universe" being a thing with any meaning is offensive comic book minded bullshit.
>>
>>63678794
nicely explained thanks
>>
Fargo is the epitome of unreliable narrators. Summary of everyone who saw a UFO:
>dude high on coke with a stab wound to the back
>dude with four bullets in him
>dude with one bullet in him
>dude being strangled
>woman with a proven history of delusion
>dead guy
The UFO was real to the extent that every person able to provide a first hand account of the Sioux Falls massacre believes there was a UFO.
>>
>>63681176
snake eater was like 1964
>>
>>63681600
It was on my shortlist of things to catch up on. I liked season 1 but it was more impressive to me for it's cinematography, production design, soundtrack, direction than it's writing, which I found just "decent". Is season 2 an improvement?
>>
>>63681600
I was the person who asked you originally what show was worth watching and I agree the Knick is excellent and underrated.

Even still though, S2 of Fargo was fun and stylized with fun characters and groovy presentation, it was better than most tv this season, along the Knick and Leftovers for some. Shame you didn't enjoy it.
>>
>>63681527
Jesus man my argument is that it doesn't matter if a show is attempting to have deeper themes if it doesn't work on a fundamental level. You can apply intellectual ideas (particularly ones like fear of the unknown and the future) to anything regardless of whether or not they deserve that kind of scrutiny. You can't skip over the basics of storytelling and go straight to the abstract. Also, saying my arguments are opinions is not refuting them, it's getting really annoying.
>>
>>63677562
RT is a chill site that only collates grades on "watcahability" -- ≥5 = "fresh"

hardly an endorsement
>>
>>63678794
I've been saying all season that thematically it's a lot like Inherent Vice, (where the title literally refers to the 'unstopping march of time') so that last episode, especially Milligan's ending, was pretty vindicating.
>>
>>63681730
I've really flipped for the show due to it being my only engaging watch currently so it's hard to be impartial, but I found the writing in season 1 to be far more complex and elegant than people were giving it credit for (it lends itself to rewatches, which is the mark of truly great writing in my opinion). With that discretion I think the writing has improved this season, but even if you find it subpar those other things you listed are just as good if not better as well and make it worth watching by themselves.
>>
>>63677562
god damn he's one handsome fella
>>
>>63681220
I don't agree that it's not well written. It's maybe not a tone that you enjoy, but that's the same reason some people hate Twin Peaks. I again urge you to consider its mythic in nature and so I think the monologues are a little more excusable than you seem to want to. You're basically arguing against criticism that involves the visual language of cinema, and that's silly. There's no one right way to present a story, and a lot of people really enjoy how Fargo tells its story. It's not straight drama.
>>
>>63681751
I love TV and movies as well, and would love nothing more than to have multiple television shows to sink my teeth into, but the level of disconnect that I've felt with the critical television audience over Fargo and the Leftovers saddens and angers me to the point of venting about it on the internet. At least we can agree on The Knick, it's truly remarkable television.
>>
File: emojis.jpg (126 KB, 816x1000) Image search: [Google]
emojis.jpg
126 KB, 816x1000
>>
>>63681843
I'm sorry its hard to refute something that I firmly believe is an opinion that I wouldn't be able to change. I enjoyed the dialogue for the most part and you didn't, you'll say that its too heavy handed and I'll argue it isn't and we'll go in circles. Thats what I mean by how its an opinion I can't really argue because I doubt I'd change your mind.

As far as the themes goes, I agree with you on poor execution can ruin any shows themes but I disagree that s2 did it poorly. I thought it did it well.
>>
>>63682144
Oh sure, it can feel sort of, no oun intended, alienating. All the praise for something that just doesn't work for you. It is what it is. The Knick ending is a shame too but its great stuff and I appreciate going out with quality material
>>
>>63682112
It's interesting you bring up Twin Peaks, because that's exactly what I was thinking about. In Twin Peaks, there are throwaway scenes and lines but there is a consistent tone and tension that is properly maintained throughout (or at least when Lynch is involved) so even if you have a frivolous soap opera scene it still reinforces the dark and strange undercurrent by putting them in stark contrast. The themes of Twin Peaks are so indelible and fully realized that they are never absent from your mind even if they aren't on the screen. There's a difference between saying things are mythic and successfully presenting them as mythic, and I'd argue Fargo does the former where Twin Peaks the latter. I agree that there is not a correct way to present a story, but Fargo is posturing as a deep show when I would argue it is much closer to a straight drama.
>>
>>63682380
I hope you're referring to the ending of the season, people have been super negative about renewal chances and I'm still holding on strong.
>>
>>63682532

Oh man, I'm fairly certain I read Soderberg only envisioned two seasons and was looking to retire afterwards.
>>
>>63682448
What are the themes of Twin Peaks in the upteenth boring scene where James and Donna fight about how he wants to fuck Maddy?
>>
>>63682651
Because they are so naively wrapped up in their relationship that they are blissfully unaware that their best friend's dad raped and murdered her and is going to do the same to the third point of that very love triangle Have you watched it before?
>>
File: 1449240080606.jpg (117 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1449240080606.jpg
117 KB, 510x546
I haven't seen a show straining so hard to be smart since never.
>>
>>63682589
I haven't seen anything concrete. Even if the signs are pointing that way I have to keep hope alive. I think it might be the end of the golden age if it gets the ax.
>>
>>63682448
>>63682651
Reminder that it's idiotic to talk about anything plot related in Twin Peaks because Lynch only used Frost's 'skills' as a crutch for his visuals.
>>
>>63682766
> he says posting Deadly Premonition

love that game. Breaking bad tries way harder than any show I've ever seen. Fargo is just fun
>>
>>63682766
>literal video game reaction image
We're done here kid. You realize the moment you decided to engage in video game media as an adult is the moment you forever surrendered your ability to judge any real art. You are locked in autistic bondage. How could you possibly understand a masterpiece like Fargo?
>>
>>63682804
Nah, Breaking Bad at least turned into a nonsensical fanservice romp. This shit is the most predictable way a tv show can go and yet it's amazing how oblivious it is to its own downfalls. I think it's due to every show fanbase being a massive hugbox.

I first noticed that with Lost and endless speculations around inane 'storytelling'.

>Ooh a screwdriver in the sand! What could it possibly mean?
>>
>>63682731
Yeah I have, and basically what you just said was that Leland killing and raping his daughter and neice somehow justifies the complete and utter boredom and hackiness of the soap opera stuff when that's not even present at all on screen. Ill give you it provides Leland's early scenes with more, but its not like the second time through the love triangle stuff makes it any better. In fact it makes it even worse. There's this interesting plot over here, and our showrunner is so busy placating the masses with insipid bullshit that has no deeper meaning beyond that it's intentionally stupid.
>>
>>63682775

Neither have I, I have hope too, shame to see such an excellent show go off the air after only two seasons.
>>
>>63682794
That's a ridiculous statement. Lynch's themes are all over the writing of the show when he was involved with the production.
>>
File: fortedekingsparrow.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
fortedekingsparrow.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>63682847
Still less magical than Fargo's conflict resolution.
>>
>>63682882
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Breaking Bad turning into a cartoon wasn't on purpose lmao
>>
>>63682892
For fucks sake man how do you not understand that the central themes of the show are the loss of innocence and the dark underside of idyllic suburbia that bubbles just beneath the cheery surface? The soap opera aesthetic perfectly reinforces those themes.
>>
>>63682917
>themes

The only theme is the reexamining of the American sitcom. You do realize that everything else, like Black Lodge for example, he threw in either as a bone to the producers or as something that looked neat, driving the atmosphere (symian face from Fire Walk With Me being the most obvious example)?

Lynch literally put together last episode randomly, it's well documented, he just came in and ignored the idiotic lore that ran the show into the ground while he was absent. Twin Peaks is a simplistic story with some nonsensical befuddling no one would remember were it not for visuals. Read Oral History of Twin Peaks.

>>63682958
I meant that Breaking Bad turned from a pretty witty examining of American social system (not just health) and a character-driven drama towards an action piece with cardboard cutouts replacing what used to be well woven characters. It lasted about three seasons too long.
>>
>people genuinely think the knick is better than fargo
Oh, I get it. You're in the wrong place, that's it. Let's break this down. Fargo is an anti-feminist show for the red pilled. i.e what every single person on here should be.

The Knick is a "BBC worship" SJW show for the blue pilled. i.e what NOBODY on here should be. Shows like Fargo are the salvation of the straight white male. The Knick is the genocide against us.
>>
>>63682983
I get its about loss of innocence, I don't get how those characters are at all reinforcing that through their interaction. There's literally only the surface level, this is drama, and then you're trying to say that that intentionally schmaltzy aesthetic makes up for it being a chore to watch since its not related to the more interesting plot beyond them being classmates with Laura.
>>
>>63683016
>Fargo is an anti-feminist show
>SJWs run everything in the librulJOO-dominated media
>a primetime network drama is avowedly anti-feminist, though

Kek. Keep dreamin' boss.

>blue pilled. i.e what NOBODY on here should be

D'awww, you want a little safe space. That's sweet.
>>
>>63677562

look, a pleb
>>
>>63683012
Do you think that visuals are completely separate from storytelling? Is Lynch a painter or a filmmaker? Have you considered the fact that Lynch ignored everything that had been written after he left (which everyone uniformly points to as having a drop in quality) is exactly indicative of the notion that he was heavily involved with the writing of the show?
>>
>>63677562
It was just a UFO.

It's that simple.

The whole season had a strong thematic throughline. Almost every episode had some sort of reference to things that were fundamentally nonsense, like Mike quoting Jabberwocky or Reagan's optimism.
>>
>>63683109

Yeah, it was just a UFO. A manifestation of existence's absurdity, which all concerned promptly ignore, as is quite correct.
>>
>>63678160
>I must confess, I don't really have a clue what possible symbolic value the UFO might have in the TV series.
It doesn't have symbolic value. That's the point. "It's just a UFO."

They make a lot of references this season that point out the absurdism of analyzing everything. Some things don't have deeper meaning.
>>
>>63683076
I am completely serious though, and correct. We are at war. If you don't actively stand with the straight white male then you stand against it. If you don't fight with us then you should not be on this board at all. Go to reddit, let them tell you how to build a bomb and blow up a hospital ward of white children, I don't even care. But this is the house that "white" built and you will not be complicit in your own extinction under my roof.
>>a primetime network drama is avowedly anti-feminist, though
It's a miracle, but it happened. I don't know if you actually watched the show. Lou layed the smackdown on Peggy and BTFO every single feminist. There were literally tears streaming down my face.
>>
>>63677562
it is a literary device called deus ex machina

it made the show feel more literary
>>
>>63683062
Wow, reread what I said to you. The schmaltziness and frivolity of the high school melodrama directly contributes towards reinforcing themes of hidden darkness and loss of innocence.
>>
>>63683181
It does have symbolic value, don't be a tool. If youre the sort of person who agrees with something Peggy says, you might want to reexamine your life so you can actually self actualize and become less of a literal interpreter.
>>
File: Conrad_Strughold.jpg (19 KB, 485x415) Image search: [Google]
Conrad_Strughold.jpg
19 KB, 485x415
>>63680871
One man alone cannot fight ze future.
>>
>>63683226
How does it do that. I mean actually point to dialogue or character choices that reinforces the darkness underneath their relationship onscreen. You can't because its only there in the back of your head once you've seen the show. That scene itself in no way contributes to the theme of loss of innocence.
>>
>>63683104
>Do you think that visuals are completely separate from storytelling?

My point is that in Twin Peaks, Lynch is the storyteller, but not through Frost's script. I know he was involved with writing the first season but he uses dialogue and characters just as a backstory for his on-site visuals, it's far more important what he will tell to the actors to do while filming the scene, the dialogue is simply there because they have to communicate.

Lynch ignored everything since the Laura Palmer mystery because

1. Lara Flynn Boyle sabotaged s2 plot (Cooper and Audrey romance)
2. He was in spats with both Frost and the ABC
3. There was no time to pay attention to any of that

My point is that the original season would fare as badly as the second one were Lynch not in charge, because the plot in Twin Peaks is not important at all. It's a soap opera done by a genius even though two people are signed as creators. One does the opera, other provides the soap, if you will.
>>
>>63681615
>The very idea of the movie "universe" being a thing with any meaning is offensive comic book minded bullshit.
why
>>
>>63683195
>fighting super-serious imaginary ideological war on an imageboard
>delusions of reference prompting belief that the war is also being fought on his TV screen
>emotionally unstable, cries during TV shows

There has to be at least one affordable prostitute in your vicinity. You should look into that.

Also, I was almost certainly posting here years before you, and I shan't be leaving on your account. Deal with it, fag.
>>
>tfw Lou's story about the family in the Chinook is real and on film
As a Nam history buff, it made Lou's character seem so unique and real including a real history event. Hanzee being a tunnel rat was also 10/10
>>
>>63683322
He's retarded, movies had shared universes even before comicbooks did.
>>
>>63683318
You're crazy, a classically mannered and handsome FBI agent discovering the seedy underbelly of suburbia and interacting with supernatural forces is Lynch through and through. I don't know how you can say the plot doesn't matter. The other characters are fleshed out and have realistic traits and mannerisms despite the campiness. Exposition and tension is artfully relayed and maintained throughout the Lynch episodes. If there's one scene that perfectly distills the essence of the beautiful weirdness that is Twin Peaks it's the scene between the Briggs males at the diner, and that is just straight dialogue.
>>
File: 4chan in a nutshell.jpg (763 KB, 600x3300) Image search: [Google]
4chan in a nutshell.jpg
763 KB, 600x3300
>>63683195
>this is the house that "white" built

>Launched on October 1, 2003, its boards were originally used for posting pictures and discussing manga and anime, as the site was modeled on Japanese imageboards, particularly 2chan. The site quickly became popular and expanded, though much of 4chan's content still features otaku, anime, and other Japanese cultural influences.
>>
>>63683332
How is the survival of the race that invented decency, art and intellectualism not super serious?
>delusions of reference prompting belief that the war is also being fought on his TV screen
The genocide is taking place on every front, from our TV screens, to our houses of education, to our borders.
>Also, I was almost certainly posting here years before you, and I shan't be leaving on your account.
I started posted on /tv/ in 2009, it's entirely possible you have been posting on this board for longer than that, but just because you're on /tv/ does not make you /tv/. You could have been ideologically incompatible from the start. Making posts informed by a reddit sensibility that you may not even be aware of.
>>
>>63683526
And when was that ever artistically meanginful rather than than just commercial franchise building?
>>
>>63683596
>How is the survival of the race that invented decency, art and intellectualism not super serious?

But greek people aren't white, anon.
>>
>>63683563
That dialogue is just purple prose if Lynch doesn't film it. There's a reason most of Twin Peaks cast are bottom of the barrel actors; Lynch used them as crutch too.
>>
>>63681716
Released in like 2004 dumbass.
>>
>>63683689
Except Lynch directed about half of the episodes when he was still involved with the show. Also I don't know how you can't hear some of the lines and not know they are directly from Lynch's subconscious. But then again you think the actors are bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>63683596
>How is the survival of the race that invented decency, art and intellectualism not super serious?

Even meeting you half-way, it's not at all serious on an imageboard.

>The genocide is taking place on every front

Mmhmm, and you specialise in the field of uh, imageboard agit-prop and TV criticism. Damn your kids are going to be so proud. I bet you're a pretty big deal down at the local WN org.

>I started posted on /tv/ in 2009

So yah, confirmed I've been on 4chan considerably longer than you. Anyway, the tl;dr is that you're the sort of thundering fucktard that spends his entire life not getting a joke. Who never outgrows the sekrit klubhouse 4 kewl kidz mentality.

And hey, fine, follow your bliss. For your own peace of mind I'd recommend managing your expectations. I was here before you, like I said, and you are literally powerless to make me leave. Recognise and embrace that powerlessness, and you may find contentment. Deny it, and you will live in misery, eternally persecuted by the continuing presence of people you don't agree with.
>>
>>63683837
Some of the actors are, anon and that is on purpose. I sure can hear those lines, but do you think gormonbozia, formica table and Missoula Montana hold any literary value outside visual context Lynch puts them in?
>>
>>63683874
Time spent on this board is meaningless if you were reddit sensibility on the inside. The level of ideological bond with the core sensibilities of the board is the measure that should be used. You could spend the rest of your life on 4chan and still be entirely reddit. It's never too late to go where you belong because if you're not ready to die for your race then you're in the wrong place.

>Anyway, the tl;dr is that you're the sort of thundering fucktard that spends his entire life not getting a joke. Who never outgrows the sekrit klubhouse 4 kewl kidz mentality.
There is nothing that's supposed to be "cool" or "edgy" about loving your race and wanting it to continue. I see beauty and want to protect it, I'm not afraid to wear that on my sleeve. You're the one caught in your web of irony and second hand ideology. To be a white warrior is unaffected, the height of sincerity. I can look in the mirror and be overwhelmed with my shining white light to the point that I will weep. You probably think that's pathetic, but you're the pathetic one, you could never have a sincere artistic reaction in your cell of brainwashed political correctness. You are the nothing man. The very ability to recognize beauty crushed out of you. Siding with your captors.
>>
>>63684217
>Time spent on this board is meaningless

And there you should have stopped. I mean Jesus buddy you are fucking straight DELUDED. I'm actually conversing with a mentally ill person. This is surreal.

>I'm not afraid to wear that on my sleeve.
>that's why i confine my activities to bitching about TV shows on an anonymous imageboard

Don't stop, I'm really close.
>>
>>63678555

Wait what? Rye died cause of aliums
>>
>>63684303
You call me deluded and mentally ill as you take up arms and march your own people to their grave.
>>
>>63684303

Wow buddy this isn't Reddit. You sound like a fucking faggot
>>
>>63684591

Nng, nng, AAWW! AAWW! AAAAAAWWWW!

Got a cigarette?
>>
>Hanzee is Tripoli

Even Nic Pizza never went full retard like this.
>>
>>63684812

Yeah, that was really dumb. As was the cameo from Baby Numbers n' Wrench. Just unnecessary shoehorning.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.