[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
Thoughts?
>>
It was pretty good. Shame it probably wont get a second series because the BBC is just a ratings whore now and will cut it to pay for more Shitly Come Dancing.
>>
Why do the Danes and the English speak the same language?
>>
>>63665361

As a longtime fan of the Saxon Stories and Bernard Cornwell's "The Warlord Chronicles" I am deathly afraid they're going to fuck this up and pull some unnecessary politically correct bullshit. Their first mistake is that Uhtred is supposed to look like a Dane. He has blond hair and green eyes in the books. Other than that, and the usually skipping through important parts of the books its alright.
>>
>>63665361
This was one of the best shows on tv this year. Thought it was great, though some of the battles weren't at their full scale. At least not according to the books. The only real issue was the fast pacing, and how it made it hard to follow characters.
The landscape and horseriding scenes were spectacular.

>>63666791
I liked that they kind of referenced it with showing both the names of the places and cities, but it did make it easier to watch.
>>
Really really nice soundtrack.
>>
>>63666947
But how come they both speak English? How o nearth would the Danes know the English language?
>>
>>63665361
It was watchable, a comfy 7/10

it had many flaws but still good.

The actor who portrayed King Alfred was the best, others are decent.

Also fuck them, I was in the Borgias for all the seasons as a soldier, but they didn't accept my application here.
>>
>>63665361
I was alright.

I'd watch a 2nd season.
>>
>>63665361
Redhead girl was so hot, but he left her for an ugly bitch just because redhead was a sjw
>>
>>63665361
It was pretty good. Some based characters, great soundtrack and scenery, idiot Uthred, solid writing. Give us second season you fucks.
>>
>>63667030
Danish and Old English were just about mutually intelligible.
>>
>>63667182
The last battle was so fucking cringeworthy.

He sees his girl, so he jumps over killing everyone, and noone stabs him they are just watching
>>
>>63667182
Sad that Leofric died though. I thought he was going to take the place of Steapa in the books.
>>
>>63667030
Even modern English, German and Danish are incredibly similar in grammar, syntax and vocabulary.
1000 years ago there would still have been differences but they would have been mutually intelligible.
>>
Bumping this shit.
Hild was kind of disappointing. I was expecting a prettier nun. If there is a season two, I hope they recast her.
>>
>>63667919

why does she become important?
>>
>>63668085
In the third book she goes north with him and rides around and does shit with him. She becomes important to Uhtred as he grows and starts to change.
>>
>>63668229

I dont know if UK is lacking for sexy women but for whatever reason they hired ugly all the way across

I mean I thought Rome was a co-bbc production and they had tons of gorgeous women
>>
>>63668355
There weren't many women who were part of the main cast to begin with. Amy Wren who played Mildrith was one of the better ones. The other main one Emily Cox who played Brida is Austrian, but had something about her which I liked.
>>
>>63668474

See problem is you get too many women and you go full vikings, too little and the few they do cast become more important
>>
>>63665361
>No black Danes
DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>63667227
He broke trough the shield wall.. it wasnt easy for soldiers to recover from that as they had to reform..
>>
>>63667919
I thought she was very attractive.
>>
>>63665361
I started watching it, the costumes and sets are really good, but it is filmed in such a boring way, plus, its full of exposition.
Basically, its like Game of Thrones, only with worse actors and less interesting storyline
>>
>>63666092
Second series was confirmed a few days ago
>>
>>63669117

BLANES?
>>
>>63665361
Thought it was excellent. Well filmed, well acted, a story that's always progressing. Alfred's victory against the Danes was a bit rushed though, could have done with an extra episode or two.
>>
They condensed a lot of stuff since they fit two books in eight episodes, mainly his childhood/teen years where he becomes a Daneboo and that's critical. So it never feels like he's super close to his Dane family though the adult actors try their best.

Costumes are weird, barely anyone looks like a proper Nord from Mount and Blade, which is pretty much what both Saxons and Danes would have looked like. They look too advanced. His costume is fantasy bullshit.

Good story regardless, they got the author's tone down. The king's nephew's speech about tits is the best.
>>
>>63667063
>Also fuck them, I was in the Borgias for all the seasons as a soldier, but they didn't accept my application here.

Cool. Sincerely mean it. I'd like to have just that kind of role but I'm fat.
>>
>>63670294
Yeah I fucking wish.
>>
>>63670754
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/dec/10/bbc-gives-call-the-midwife-sixth-run

>Separately, BBC2 is ordering a second series of critically acclaimed The Last Kingdom, based on the novels by Bernard Cornwell, about the creation of England under King Alfred, the spread of Christianity, and battles by the Saxons against the Danes and Vikings.

>It stars Alexander Dreyman as Uhtred, the Northumbrian Saxon warrior, raised by Danes, whose tumultuous life forms the narrative thread. It has attracted around 2.5 million mainly male viewers, including a significant number watching it on iPlayer after it is first broadcast.

I'm concerned it doesn't merit its own article though. Publicity was low?
>>
>>63670819
Holy shit, it's true. Thanks for the info, based anon, my day just got a whole lot better.
>>
>>63666927
Blonde hair is because he's a saxon dumbass, the "looks like a dane" bit is the way he dresses and his LONG hair.
>>
Brida is best girl but Mildrith is best wife.
>>
>>63672013
Mildrith looked like a much hotter Ginny Weasley and even then she was kind of plain.
>>
>>63665361
HAN DIES
>>
>>63667030
Middle and modern English actually emerged from the fusion of the two. It's the reason English doesn't have genders, very simplified word endings, simplified past tenses etc. The understand each other all the complicated bits got dropped, in a progression that emanated from the Danelaw.
>>
File: last kingdom-Leofric6ye4.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2656) Image search: [Google]
last kingdom-Leofric6ye4.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2656
>>63670819
Nice. They still have about 8 books to play with so they could do a few more series.

tfw no more Leofric though
>>
>>63665361
When does the gay black female character turn up? It is the BBC after all.
>>
>>63672161
>They still have about 8 books to play with
So, what can we expect from season 2? I hope Alfred is still going to be relevant -- he's without a doubt the best part of the show.
>>
the main guy is a massive bellend and really annoying

if they got rid of him it would make it a lot better
>>
>>63670819
That's great news. I wasn't hopeful.
>>
>>63672646
>So, what can we expect from season 2?

I don't know I haven't read the books.

These are the books...

The Last Kingdom
The Pale Horseman
The Lords of the North
Sword Song
The Burning Land
Death of Kings
The Pagan Lord
The Empty Throne
Warriors of the Storm

The first series is based off the first two books.
>>
>>63672917
I-is hoping for four or five seasons too hopeful? I want them to adapt the whole goddamn thing.
>>
File: SMODDA.jpg (391 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
SMODDA.jpg
391 KB, 900x470
>>63670819
I hope they fight crazy ears Picts / Scots in the next season. That whole Cornwallum bit with the crazy-pagan king was neat and reminded me alot of Mount & Blade.
>>
>>63672706
actually I kinda like that aspect. Uthred is an true earsling and does stupid shit because he is young & pigheaded. Keeps things fresh.
>>
>>63672978
Maybe, but it could catch on. Let's just hope for quality adaptions and see how far that takes us.
This is only a handful of threads I've seen on /tv/ about the show, so it needs more awareness
>>
i wish Uthred would wear some fucking armour for once
>>
>>63665361
HOW CAN A BOY BE WORTH 300 PIECES OF SILVER
>>
>Vikings lose a battle
>Ruina Imperii starts playing
>>
>>63674015
>This is only a handful of threads I've seen on /tv/ about the show, so it needs more awareness
Why is it so overlooked, anyway? It's better than GoT or Vikings, as far as I'm aware.
>>
Oh look, another infestation of autists complaining about language in a thread about a historical movie and/or tv show.
>>
>>63677224
I like it better than current GOT, but I am a fan of historical fiction. I think what hurt it was the lack of marketing really.
The show can definitely find an audience as a lot of people will look for something to fill the viking and game of thrones niche
>>
dumbass son of dumbass, will do something stupid and then they will talk about god.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.