[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Childhoods End
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
So SyFy just did the pilot episode for Childhoods End, and it came out pretty close to the novel. Pacing was steady, perhaps a few plot holes which needed fixing here and there. The overall plot is ubiquitous with philosophy that may seem tired and torn, but it still made for good entertainment.

Can we get a thread going about it?
>>
Let's just pray to whatever that SyFy doesn't change the ending....
>>
>>63660062

It'd be pretty hard for them to fuck it up, there's no much direction they could go in unless they break away from the story entirely. I just don't want the series to drag on. Hoping for a 26 episode (or less) season 1 and done.
>>
>>63660112
Its a mini series as far as I know.

Tell me more about the book, any good?
>>
>>63660062
They won't because I've read the book and it began with a flashback that seems exactly how I remember and pictured it ending.
>>
>>63660112
That's exactly what I liked about Wayward Pines. It told the story that was written and that was that. The show is over.
>>
>>63660112
you anon, you have too much faith.

Still, they did a reasonable,' children of Dune', melodrama and didn't rape the source material.
>>
>>63660062
I already predicted "Syfy" (god how retarded) would fuck up the ending and make it so the "good guys" (humans of the current year) "triumph" over the "evil" Overlords. Modern humans simply can't handle a piece of media not pandering to them and massaging their egos and wrapping up with them coming out on top and everything that represents their temporal culture being validated.
>>
>>63659984
so is the alien truly satan or just look like?
>>
>>63659984
Where can I watch this? I can't find a torrent or online source anywhere.
>>
>>63660339
It's the other way around. "Satan" is just a precognitive human misunderstanding of the Overlords.
>>
>>63660343
too new for that, watch on SyFy tomorrow
>>
>>63660403
I figured I'd have to wait a day. Usually torrents are out a few hours after a show airs. I can't believe cable is still a thing. How does it continue to survive??
>>
>>63660373

so these various aliens showed up in our past, ancient astronaut theory is correct in this universe?
>>
>>63660446
its on Kickass torrent already
>>
>>63660314

who else would the show pander too? Since modern humans are what watch it unless there is an alien audience I'm not aware of or aliens are tapped into the internet, your speech doesn't sprechen the sense so much
>>
>>63660470
Ancient Astronaut theory is correct in every universe
>>
The book and this scifi remake are both propaganda used to get people accustom to seeing Satan/Demons and possibly seeing them in a positive light.

Read the book and it ends when a generation of children on Earth evolve mental powers, the one thing the Overlords couldn't do as hard as they tried, and then the Overmind, a giant God-like entity consumes the children and in the process the earth is destroyed.

The overlords serve and worship this Overmind, one human antagonist manages to visit the Overlord planet to discover all of this and makes it back in time to stay on earth and get destroyed with it as the evolved mental professor x children get consumed by the Overmind destroying earth in the process.

This is shit, it is propaganda pushing a whole host of nonsensical ideas aimed directly at stripping away your faith by conditioning people watching this program that Satan/Demons are normal looking, not such bad things after all.
>>
>>63660526
Is such a thing even possible?
>>
>>63660529
>le satan's not so bad meme

I expected this kind of hackery from Phillip Pullman. What the fuck was Arthur Clarke thinking?
>>
>>63660482
I don't see it there...
>no apostrophe
Okay then. Nevermind.

>>63660514
>who else would the show pander too?
Why should media pander at all. Childhood's End was written with humanity in a more realistic light in comparison to the unverse. I get sick as fuck of every piece of modern media having to end with humanity on top and triumphant (espousing shit morals, culture and philosophy) with the status quo remaining rock solidly intact - which is only more hilarious given the fact that the status quo is evaporating at breakneck speed. It really is okay to depict something else happening for once. I love how you know of the original source material we're talking about here but you still can't even conceive of the video adaptation following that plot because you've been so intoxicated from birth with special snowflakism. Fuck millennials.
>>
>>63660514
the novel ending actually seems to be intact
>>
>>63660529
>>63660649
I want edgy 20 year old christian evangelical revivalists to get the fuck in the trash where they belong. It's nothing but a "What if?" story. That's it. Deal with it. I hope to christ your religion gets trampled into oblivion. You're such hypersensitive little monsters. No better than radical muslims, because we've seen how you act when you have power.
>>
>>63660529

Lucifer hates everything God has created because he is a butthurt spoiled brat.

So think of this as more media propaganda aimed at making humanity hate itself and eventually decide "just fuck my shit up".

I read the book, in it the majority of mankind ends up committing suicide in various forms, including nuking themselves in a city with everyone in agreement.

This is just a continuation of what is ever present in society. We need to hate ourselves cause we are guilty of blah blah blah... all of it is basically a clever way of Lucifer trying to fuck with God by fucking with God's creation, mankind.
>>
>>63660796
>You're such hypersensitive little monsters

The hypocrisy in this post is hilarious.
>>
>>63660796
>needing a religious reason to hate shitty writing

kek. Calm your autism, senpai.
>>
>>63660796

Exhibit A: Useful Idiot #1,223,742,873

>Lucifer: How do you want your soul f.am?
>You: Just c.uck my shit up, thankyou
>>
>>63660826
>nuking themselves in a city with everyone in agreement

Fuck Clarke went full edge when he wrote this.
>>
>>63660470
No, they explicitly say that's not the case.
>>
>>63660938
Sure, but give him credit.

Clarke had edge before people knew edge well.
>>
File: jesus-muhammad2.jpg (101 KB, 1018x617) Image search: [Google]
jesus-muhammad2.jpg
101 KB, 1018x617
I want to see if they kept in the Overlords'
Past Lives-Cam that shows anyone who cares to watch that the founders of *all* of the great religions weren't really all that.
>>
>>63660843
>>63660874
>>63660928
As if we needed more evidence that 4chan has gone from normalfag to complete fuckin idiotville.

Fuck off to /pol/, christfags.
>>
>>63661076
>>>/r/atheism
>>
>>63661076
Your book is an edgy pile of shit. Kill yourself.
>>
>>63661076
>they're mocking me for being a hyperventilating shit-flinging cocksucker
>they must disagree with my enlightened viewpoint because they are bluepilled

Stop, take a deep breath, take the dragon dildo out of your ass and consider the possibility that you're acting like a buffoon and were called out on it, regardless of any affiliation or contested beliefs.

Act like a shit, get treated like a shit.
>>
File: It's a Rock Fact.png (127 KB, 594x324) Image search: [Google]
It's a Rock Fact.png
127 KB, 594x324
>>63661121
Clarke never wrote a good book in his life.

There, I fucking said it. This is just objective truth, separated from any blind hate or devotion.
>>
>>63661142
You're talking to two separate people you christgobbling nazi fuck.
>>
>>63661174
Ok, can we hear from someone who DOESN'T have complete shit tastes? Oh right, forgot where I was. As you were...
>>
>>63661181
I'm non-affiliated and proudly support my grandpas exploits in killing ze germans Tommy.
>>
>>63661076

Listen up squirt, when you move out of your mother and father's house, you might drop all that angst and hate you have towards the religion they practice.

You might begin to get a bit of wisdom as you get a little bit older, start to see a little bit behind the curtain when you ask yourself why society continues to plummet deeper and deeper in shit.

You might remember a few of those times you were forced to go to church or hear a story from the bible.

Maybe you swallow your pride and decide to give the concept an honest go.

You might begin to see what this fight is all about and then you just be the chuckle-head on 4chan giving naive teenagers some warning signs to look out for when a new T.V. show pops up that appeals to the edginess of youth.

Where-ever you are on the journey, just know others have been there before and others will go there after you.
>>
>>63661260
Not all of us born in a 3rd world shithole pretending to be first world. Turbolard religious Americans are as cancerous as the Mudslimes crawling into Europe
>>
>>63661211
His non-fiction books were great and highly influential. His science fiction books were all trash.
>>
>>63660199
Book is great, but bleak depending on your interpretation and philosophical view of it.

Honestly, I haven't seen a better book-to-film adaptation since Ender's Game. There were a few things taken out for time or budget, like how we didn't get to see them block out the sun, or how they banned bullfighting and made everyone in the stadium feel the pain of being stabbed from the fighter's knife when they held a bullfight in defiance, with similar effects given to anyone who hunts for any purpose beyond food. and a few things that they added in to dumb it down for the tv audience, like the main character's bitchy wife and dead ex. In the book he was just a U.N. official who had previously been involved in a joint-nation R&D program to build an interstellar space craft, the launch of which was what attracted the Overlords in the first place. Also instead of using dead loved ones, they just announce over the radio that the stars are not for man and shut down the space craft project by making everything not work.

Also the tech in the book is a bit out dated, so the attack adds were all in the paper, not hashtag campaigns, although personally I liked that bit.

>>63660339
It's a major spoiler, but it is explained. Serious about the spoiler though, if knowing that they explain it in the book is enough for you, don't look.
Humans have a latent mental ability that spans beyond our current dimensional understanding. Beyond even the Overlord's understanding in fact, and the massive cultural shock of their arrival and influence sent an emotional knee-jerk reaction and image into the minds of humanity throughout their past. This happens to all the races the Overlords visit for the same reason. It's not that they arrived in our history, it's that humans could sense them in their future subconsciously, creating a fear of their appearance.
>>
>>63661091
>>63661121
>>63661260
>>>/reddit/
You can circlejerk about the greatness of your religion in that safe place.
>>
>>63660470

So...we are a "Uplifted"?
>>
>>63661357

British posters, you can almost guarantee they are the edgiest thanks to the world class suck Darwin's dick as much as we can education they receive there.

>muh anthropological global warming
>muh islam is a religion of peace guise
>>
>>63661572
Go have a heart attack.
>>
I've never read the book, but I enjoyed this pilot immensely. Can't wait till the ayy lmaos kill all humans
>>
>>63661735

>pilot
It's a miniseries you mongoloid
>>
>>63660670

Fuck you! You shit all over humanity! We don't have to be enlightened to go into space! The overmind knows humans are a threat because we can evolve into a threat. It wants ultimate instrumentality of the entire universe! It's a parasite that needs to be stopped the overloards are afraid of it and keep it fed to prevent the destruction of their race. We would find a way to stop the overmind.

Stop being such a Morty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqiSBxvdws
>>
>>63662137
EP 1 of a miniseries is till a pilot m8. You should go back to arguing about film vs Cinema vs Flick you'd still lose
>>
>>63660529
Stop pretending you are clarivoyent of divine will
You are not YAWHE, the ant does not comprehend the boot accept your limitations and devote yourself to better your soul so you be accepted into his love you fucking stupid nigger
>>
>>63660112
It's a miniseries dumbass. 3 nights of one 2 hour episode.
>>
anywhere i can watch it?
>>
Childhood's End is one huge metaphor for paedophilia.

You've got this "Elder" race coming along and interfering with a "younger" race, grooming it to accept something it doesn't understand, but which is necessary for humanity to "mature"

All Arthur C Clarke stories are like that. I mean Rendezvous with Rama is about a giant dong that slides into the solar system, for example.
>>
File: 1437833271508.jpg (73 KB, 640x759) Image search: [Google]
1437833271508.jpg
73 KB, 640x759
>>63664869
I like it
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.