[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the fifth season of the Wire worth watching? I heard that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 300x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 300x419
Is the fifth season of the Wire worth watching? I heard that it ruined the show for a lot of people. Should I pretend it never happened and end on a high note?
>>
it doesn't ruin anything, it's just a disappointment
>>
>>63636252
>>63636353
It doesn't ruin anything and it doesn't disappoint either. It just wasn't as good as the other seasons but still very good compared to most shows out there.
The ending was very satisfying too, every time i watch it i remember how good the show felt
>>
I like it a lot better upon reflection. The season lost the hyperrealism that made the first 4 so unique, but in favor of crawling through the meta of those seasons to tie everything up on a thematic level. Some of the shots are genuinely breathtaking, it's just too bad the newspaper story was criminally underused
>>
>>63636353
>it's just a disappointment
I don't get it.
It's one of the best seasons on its own and it also wraps up all the storylines beautifully.
>>
Great season, only flaw is that it's shorter length leaves certain aspects underdeveloped. As a finale for the show it is magnificent.
>>
>>63636252
It's a great season and a great end to the greatest television series of all time. Unfortunately, it's one of the weaker seasons (besides 3 -- which is the weakest) and doesn't do a great job at introducing all the new characters from the Newspaper like Season 2 did with the dock workers. It was still very good though; but there's no doubt Season 4 was the best season of the series.
>>
>>63637091
>there's no doubt Season 4 was the best season of the series.

This meme needs to end.
>>
File: 935 (2).png (215 KB, 530x814) Image search: [Google]
935 (2).png
215 KB, 530x814
>>63637091
>besides 3 -- which is the weakest
>>
>>63637091
Nigger you spelt "Strongest" wrong
>>
>>63636252
It's not as good as the other ones but still solid television.
>>
>>63637148
Give me a better season then. Season 4 contains a strong narrative about youth growing up in Urban Baltimore and the troubles of growing up in gang territory. It's the tightest story of any season by far and was only made possible through the groundwork that season 1, 2, and 3 set. Season 4 was essentially the culmination of these seasons.
>>
>>63637168
>>63637227

Season 3 retreads everything from Season 1; but instead tosses in two useless, and at times disconnected, stories about Mayor Keketti and Hamsterdam. Then, once the season midway through changes it's focus from the Barksdale crew to the politics and social troubles of Baltimore (Cutty moving on, Carcetti rising to Mayor, Hamsterdam, bureaucracy destroying the police department), the season switches gears and goes "OH SHIT, WE FORGOT ABOUT AVON BARKSDALE AND HIS STORY" and in one episode his entire story is tied up with Barksdale going down, and Stringer getting killed. There was no build up, no suitable climax, because the season spent the rest of the time aimless wandering around different stories to have the impact Season 4's does.
>>
>>63637336
Still better than S2 lol
>>
>>63637388
How to Spot the Plebeian: The Post
>>
>>63636809
>>63636856
Basically all the main cops were victims of character assassination in some way or other. Bubs story ended well but damn. Marlo was also a shitty villain.
>>
Five is generally considered a weaker season, but it ends well with a good wrap-up of the whole series, and one of the arcs during season 5 (Clay Davis' trial) is one of the best arcs in the show.
>>
The characterization is off for a lot of characters, there's way too much Omar, and the A plot doesn't work that well, but it's still interesting.
>>
>>63637388

S2 is the best. It has the best music and the least niggers.
>>
File: ReportingQuoteBaltimoreSun.jpg (150 KB, 1060x419) Image search: [Google]
ReportingQuoteBaltimoreSun.jpg
150 KB, 1060x419
I would reccomend watching it. It's not horrible. It is not up to par. The shorter length hurts the development of a few arcs. The news arc is the worst one in the show by far. Simon is so heavy-handed with his message. Usually he plays it in the middle, but he went full on preach mode. The final shot of the news storyline is this. I groaned so hard.
>>
Season 5 is not bad at all, it's still in fact a fantastic piece of television. However it's clearly weaker than the rest of the show, it's just a matter of comparison.
>>
>>63636252
Yes. I liked it a lot. It would have been impossible for it to live up to the perfect 4th season but it did a good job and ended the series well.
>>
Season 5 would've been considered great if it didn't focus so much time on the newspaper bullshit.
>>
>>63636252
Season 5 isn't the worst thing ever, just not great.
Season 5 does give you some resolution to characters the way Michael and dooky just become younger versions of main characters was an interesting way to end it too
>>
wont ruin the show for you it's just ok, watch it worth it for the last episode alone
>>
Season 5 is bad compared to the rest of the wire.
Compared to most over TV shows, it's fantastic.
>>
>>63640036
>Compared to most over TV shows, it's fantastic.

This. But compared to most other MOVIES, it's crap.
>>
>>63640067
lolno
>>
>>63640095
If we put aside the outdated social and political commentary that no one cares about in 2015 outside America, the flick looks like it was made by film school freshmen. There's more to learn, aesthetically, from Sandler's "The Ridiculous Six". David Simon is a journalist not an artist, and the director are semi-amateurs.
>>
>this thread

Oh boy. Liberal kuckold kikery redditors are at it again. Sucking black cocks is not something to be proud of. Yet you are here, exclaiming your undying love to black cock. Go back to reddit, you fucking faggots.

Here, have an upvote. I tip my fedora to all of you.
>>
File: HHbsYzw.gif (719 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
HHbsYzw.gif
719 KB, 320x180
>>63640145
>>
Well this is convenient.

I've just started watching the Wire based on a friend's constant railroading me into it. On season 1 ep 6.

Please tell me this is one of the weaker seasons. I get that it's pretty well written and all but nothing really stands out to me as particularly good. So far it's just been Cops inching closer and closer in and investigation and inner city character politics.

I'm guessing if it gets held up to the Sopranos and Breaking Bad constantly it's got to have some standout seasons/episodes (I quite enjoyed the scene where they only use the word fuck for 4 minutes).
>>
File: 1448823002959.jpg (158 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1448823002959.jpg
158 KB, 720x480
>>63640263
>Breaking Bad
>Good

pls
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.