[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why did everyone like this sub-par soap opera so much? Literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: boyhood-afiche.jpg (111 KB, 464x345) Image search: [Google]
boyhood-afiche.jpg
111 KB, 464x345
So why did everyone like this sub-par soap opera so much?

Literally
>muh 12 years?
>>
It was a great film. I'm sorry RLM has stained your brain forever.
>>
>>63634725
Because one day you'll reach a point where nothing at all is of acceptable quality, and on that day, you will lose all hope and fall into depression, everything you've discredited, gone, and you will have discredited so much, there is nothing left to live for. Everything is shit.

The only way to feel better will be to look for the good in everything.

It may not happen for a few years, too.
>>
>>63634725
Yes
>>
>>63634725
because he's cute for the first half
>>
>>63634725
I loved this. I saw it in theaters twice and cried. I had young parents who split up so a lot of the story resonated with me. It captured the loneliness and isolation in childhood.

Other than that I admired the ambition and pure practical and technical feat of the 12 years thing. You can call it a gimmick if you insist on being cynical but it's unlike anything ever made.
>>
Epic in technical scale but breathlessly intimate in narrative scope, Boyhood is a sprawling investigation of the human condition.
>>
>>63634893
that kid was annoying as shit in the second half
>>
File: oyhood.jpg (88 KB, 919x555) Image search: [Google]
oyhood.jpg
88 KB, 919x555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wx-Qh4Vczc

UNOR LONER @ 1.30

>boyhood
>about a boy growing up
>awards
>they stick him at the back, out of camera
>the rest of the cast are like a family / group
>he sees the celebration from afar
>he begins his run
>hes too late
>the feminist snubs him
>God himself (aka stoned Ethan Hawke) saves the day and puts a smile in everyone's face
>>
Other than the obvious and tasteless nods to nostalgia (see: Soulja Boy), it did pretty well at depicting the aimlessness and pseudo-pretentiousness that comes with growing up. It also did a good job showing the influence that the people in Mason's life had on his development growing up, but left room for his mom to have her own compelling plot-line, even giving her perhaps the most crucial line in the film. I always thought the most emotionally hitting part of it was when Mason's going off to college and his mom starts reflecting on her life so far and breaks down crying in front of him, saying something along the lines of "I just thought there would be more." That was sort of what I interpreted one of the core messages of the film to be, that at the end of the day, when your life has gone through all these milestones, it'll still feel as though something has passed you by and you haven't done enough. And people can berate the 12 years thing as a "gimmick" all they want, and in a marketing sense it ended up becoming that, but remove the marketing from the film and it worked pretty well. It's really a shame Mason got so disgusting by the end though.
>>
>>63636413
Yeah, totally agree with this
The 12 years thing seamlessly kept us connected to the character the entire time. That's been impossible to do in a single film before this. It's a genuinely innovative and effective technique. I can't believe people have the balls to call it a gimmick

And not to mention that in the same video RLM disses boyhood they praise GotG to hell and back. I mean God Damn, could they make a less interesting or intelligent video if they tried?
>>
File: boyhood.jpg (202 KB, 575x853) Image search: [Google]
boyhood.jpg
202 KB, 575x853
>>63634725
>>
>>63636413
I agree with this.

My big issue is how much I could relate to it up until he turned 15. It was like a mirror image of my life (sans abusive string of fathers), but at that point, he turned into a complete pretentious asshole.
>>
>>63634882
this, but usually you just move on to a subject you have no knowledge on and try to dissect that. If you're done with movies, move on to books. etc.
>>
>>63635078
The thing that bothered me the most was the Dawson Casting (IE, having him play a certain age when he was obviously much older than it)
The whole gimmick of the movie was that it was filmed over the course of years as they grew, and they still managed to fuck this up?
>>
>>63636413

It's a bad movie
>>
>>63636413
watching a grumpy teenager having a pseudo- existential crisis isn't an entertaining thing to watch though

the mother was the only interesting character in the whole thing
>>
File: americana.jpg (431 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
americana.jpg
431 KB, 1296x968
I'm not american and the middle class american lifestyle that this movie portrays felt disgusting to me. It was very hard to feel any symphaty for the characters.
>>
>>63638750
>hurr Europe is fundamentally different from America
This is a meme
t. American who spends half my time in Europe
>>
>>63637671
If it was "12 years a black boy", It would have broken the oscar records
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.