[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>movie is set 40-50 years after ROTJ, roughly the same time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: 640375[1].jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
640375[1].jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>movie is set 40-50 years after ROTJ, roughly the same time between episode 3 and episode 4
>all of the ships and technology are still roughly the same

the only good thing about the prequels was how everything was different and we got to see how the 'old world' looked before the empire took over. i mean, look how different our own technology looks now compared to 50-100 years ago. things change at a rapid pace. everything in the new movie looks the same, just with better fidelity. the badguys are still imperials and its the same "lowly peasant with royal bloodline" bullshit story.

so this is what lucas meant when he said fans are going to get what they want with this film. it's nostalgia bait. it's a cash-in. might as well be called a remake

fuck JewJew Abrahams
>>
this is about 30 years

the time between 3 and 4 was abut 20 years
>>
Look man, this whole movie is fan service, the creators have said that from the start. Of COURSE everything will look similar to the OT. Stop being fucking autistic about it, you know you're going to see it 12 times and shitpost about it regardless, so save yourself and us the headache.
>>
>>63626328
it's a rehash to sell more merchandise and please older fans

Notice how the empire is still strong as fuck and the rebels are more like partisans instead of the new republic. They should've just let Lucas write the script at least then it wouldn't just be a rehash of the OT.
>>
>>63626328

how quickly do you think technology is going to advance when they have fucking mountains going light speed and small moons shooting lasers?

calm your fucking titties.
>>
>>63626328
Rapid technological change is probably over. It's all pretty incremental. Are our lives all that different from 1985? The internet was the biggest change, but it's not like our whole world looks different. It would probably slow down even further once they have hyperspace and all that. How much better are they really gonna get it?
>>
The American imperialists look hasn't changed much in 30 years. Still flying F-16's, F-18's and shooting weapons based on the m-14.
>>
>>63626328
It's only been a couple of decades, and this is naval tech we're talking about. Compare US military technology today to the stuff from the 80s. Most of our carrier fleet is from the fucking 70s and it's still competitive with the shit they produce today.

This shit is in space, too, what do you think the paint oxidizes in a vacuum? Most of the hardware probably has a lifetime measured in the thousands of years.
>>
Updating battleships and fleets takes a long time, the imperial fleet was relatively new at the start of a New Hope, so most of the vessels are likely to still be serviceable.

I guess you'd hope to see a few new designs in there, some experimental tie fighters and such like, but this is nostalgia wank.
>>
>>63626426
To be fair, that actually makes sense. The Empire consists of millions of worlds, the notion that it would simply disintegrate because its leader was killed is ludicrous, even low-level functionaries could theoretically control hundreds or thousands of star systems, they don't need the Emperor for shit.
>>
>the only good thing about the prequels was how everything was different and we got to see how the 'old world' looked before the empire took over.

We didn't get a larger/clear enough picture also fuck you
>>
>>63626426
>They should've just let Lucas write the script

>What is this cheap hot dog doing on my plate? I specifically ordered a pile of pigshit!
>>
>>63626328
>i mean, look how different our own technology looks now compared to 50-100 years ago. things change at a rapid pace.
Yes, because Star Wars is hard science fiction right?
Even whithin the OT the technology doesn't make sense, nothing is explained, because it's not focused on technology and how it will change people's lives.

Star Wars is about space wizards and WWII.

George just wanted to put more 1950s design elements in his movies. Now in theory I like the idea that the past of star wars has a 1950s sci-fi look, but so much of it looks like crap. Doing something different only gets you so many points when it ends up being shit, just look at Terminator: Salvation.
>>
>>63626328
The Star Destroyer is probably the most radical change they've ever gone through. The bridge isn't sticking out like a huge target. So glad JJ got rid of that.
>>
>>63626657
Sorry f@m, JJ is the pigshit here. At least if Lucas wrote the script it would flow with the story instead of just being a rehash of episode 4 and yeah it would probably be shit but it would be a better looking shit than what we have now.
>>
even the old republic times used the exact same technology as the ones from the movies

i think the excuse they gave is simply that technology peaked
>>
>>63626710
>it would flow with the story

Kek.
George is an ideas man and always has been. He doesn't know the first thing about putting his ideas to the page.

I would gladly have a thousand safe silly sci-fi rehashes than suffer through a single other production written by George Lucas.
>>
Disney made a huge investment by buying off the SW franchise and they have to play it safe in the first installment.
They can't risk anything here so it needs to be exactly like the OT except with some fresh faces.

Expect more new designs and new gear in the movies following this one since after they prove to the fans they can deliver that OT look they'll branch out from there.

But this is the movie they can't afford to fuck up on so they'll give the people exactly what they were whining about lacking in the PT.
>>
>>63626460
Are you retarded? The world is completely diffrent compared to 1985. Infrastructue, society and technology wise.
>>
>>63626710

If you had Lucas write it and someone else direct it and maybe edit his script, you could have a potentially greater flick than what this is probably going to shape up to be Empire and ROTJ were both written by Lucas yet directed by different people. He only directed 1-4 and at least 4 is a classic.

Abrams is going to pack all this stuff with his ideas, most of which are just going to be plagiarized from the EU, but done in a haphazard way, it's going to have a bunch of parallels, and it's not even going to flow directly from the previous six. Even if Lucas didn't do the best job, he at least tried to make all six films part of the same story. This may be called Episode VII, but it's basically just going to be a movie that probably would be better had it just been a complete reboot or an overbudgeted fanfilm.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I feel
>>
The Old Republic takes place over a thousand years before the Prequels, yet Technology is nearly the same

This shit isn't new in Star Wars. Tech has peaked in the universe
>>
You can say whatever you want, but how can a pilot can fight in a TIE FIGHTER,how do i panoramic view even?
>>
>>63626710
The prequels are just a rehash of the OT. You're truly out of your element.
>>
>>63626985
They have computers that tell them where the enemy are just like modern fighters.
>>
Well... they went through a devastating Civil War and probably a few economic depressions since then.
>>
>>63626955
Considering Luke's a major plot point (along with Leia from what's been said) it's pretty obvious that it's absolutely flowing directly from the previous six. Sure, it'll be a rehash of New Hope, but Han, Luke, and Leia are specifically there to bridge the gap.
>>
>>63627021
Still, those big ass "wings" make them impractical for fighting (bigger target)
>>
How much did technology change from 0AD to 1000AD?
>>
>>63626864
Yeah except the real cash crop is merchandising. The movie is a mere ripple before what's to come. There's a reason its a Holiday release...
>>
>>63627044

I doubt they'll play any significant role other than just being like "Hey, it's good to be back in a Star Wars movie, right guyz?" while Abrams focusing on his own characters.
>>
>>63627065
Yeah, it's stupid but it's Star Wars they never let logic get in the way of a cool looking product.
>>
>>63627133
Well, yeah. I like the tie fighter tho
>>
>>63626964
The technology in the Tale of the Jedi comics was pretty different. Ships looked like insects and the lightsabers looked all long and gnarly. It was cool.
>>
>>63627118
>Luke's lightsaber macguffin
>everything talking about how serious Leia's role us supposed to be
>Han dying at some point in the trilogy
>Luke going missing being a massive plot point

It's really not looking like that.
Considering Leonard Nimoy's Spock in Star Trek '08 literally set the events of the movie in motion, it's not hard to believe that the OT crew will be at least as impactful.
>>
The entire plot is available, the OT cast are just there to hand it over to the new cast

It's safe, bland, rehashed shit
>>
>>63627219
Why is luke always dissing on his m8s? Is like he doesnt give a flying fuck about them
>>
File: howtimeschange.jpg (572 KB, 2740x800) Image search: [Google]
howtimeschange.jpg
572 KB, 2740x800
>>63626328
Yeah, just compare a fighter jet on the left flying in 1977 and one on the right flying in 2015.
>>
File: F-35 Threads.jpg (435 KB, 1154x1020) Image search: [Google]
F-35 Threads.jpg
435 KB, 1154x1020
>>63627304
and here's 2030
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1448698486689.png (2 MB, 2160x1080) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1448698486689.png
2 MB, 2160x1080
>>63626328
We've discussed this before.
jj is a hack
>>
>>63627219

Sounds more like they're just going to be serving as plot devices, if you ask me.

>Considering Leonard Nimoy's Spock in Star Trek '08 literally set the events of the movie in motion, it's not hard to believe that the OT crew will be at least as impactful.

The thing is in Star Trek, the whole idea was that it's a remake/reboot but also an alternate universe within a Star Trek multiverse.

I would like to believe Abrams would do something similar here, but I have my doubts. It's just going to be a cliched rehash of a bunch of Star Wars ideas that others have probably done better.

I don't think it will be BAD, but I'm willing to bet Legends comics/books will probably have done anything Abrams can think of much better with more focus on characters I like or care about and are not played by no-name millenial actors.
>>
Star Wars is a fantasy world with swords and wizards, part of the charm is how technology looks old and doesn't advance much. Imagine watching some medieval fantasy movie and suddenly they invent machine guns.
>>
>>63627089
Well considering that's when steel, gunpowder, and compasses were invented I dunno a lot?
>>
File: pierre sprey ideal tank.jpg (276 KB, 696x1366) Image search: [Google]
pierre sprey ideal tank.jpg
276 KB, 696x1366
>>63627330
>Sprey
Shiggity
>>
>>63627366
>Sounds more like they're just going to be serving as plot devices, if you ask me.

If they're plot devices, then they're serving the plot, and will require the focus that they wouldn't get if they were just standing around and grinning at the fact that they're in costume again.
>>
>>63626328
Because the ak47 has changed so much in 20 years. Look, we are in a state of war and no resources or time to deal with rndof weapons

It makes sense shit looks like this
>>
>>63626924
But if you went back to 1985 everything would look pretty familiar
>>
>>63627346
No, Lucas was a fucking hack whose decisions were driven solely by how to make as many toys as possible.
>>
File: 1444848655227.png (294 KB, 429x411) Image search: [Google]
1444848655227.png
294 KB, 429x411
>implying anything would satisfy /tv/
>implying if they did dramatically change ships this thread wouldn't be "why'd he change them so much?"
>>
>>63627021
No they don't. They have to use eyes to spot enemy fighters. I mean shit, the fucking climax is because they can't see Han Solo coming out of the sun like it's fucking 1944. Do you people even watch these movies.
>>
>>63626328
That star destroyer looks fucking terrible
Like it'll collapse on itself. The new Tie colour scheme is great though.
>>
Technology from the prequels looked so much more advanced than the OT
>>
>>63627304

But wasn't the empire using interceptors and Tie advanced fighters by the time of ROTJ.

They should have exploited those new designs rather than just giving the old ones a new paintjob.
>>
>>63627426
/tv/ will never be satisfied.
Take it as the idiotic joke that it is and move on.
And for the love of Christ never attempt to unironically fit with the typical /tv/ mentality. If 4chan gets to the point where everybody thinks it has to be taken seriously, then it'll be no different than Tumblr.
>>
File: pottery.png (652 KB, 777x713) Image search: [Google]
pottery.png
652 KB, 777x713
>>63627346
They went too far in some places last time, this is an attempt to diminish it.
>>
>>63626985
From the perspective of an actual propellerhead, if you assume that Star Wars is basically supposed to be WWII in space (it is) then the TIE fighter is almost a stereotype of bad fighter design.

-Visibility is limited to front-only. No side view is possible, no rearview is possible without computer assistance. The layout seems overly complicated and poorly lit.

-Armament is insufficient. If you assume a blaster is the same as a machinegun, two nose-mounted light MGs would be considered mediocre armament in WWI, in WWII it would be pathetic. Compare the P47 Thunderbolt with its six .50 cals, or the Fw-190 with its four 20mm cannons. Why is this dogshit fighter worse armed than a biplane?

-Short Range. Why is this even a thing in a sci-fi setting, nobody would've questioned it if the TIE had infinite range because of its gay solar-panel wings, but to make it short-range makes it even more pathetic.

-Slow. The Tie Interceptor at least feels like a Japanese A6M2, where it's fast and has a lot of guns, but burns like a matchstick. The basic Tie is just so fucking weak and gay, it isn't even fast. Maybe it turns well, and I guess without gravity Energy Fighting is impossible, but even so it seems mediocre.

-No shielding, which we can compare to no armor in real-world terms. So you've got a ship with zero visibility, small guns, no range, you'd think "hey, it might as well have some juicy armor, right?" Wrong. The TIE has zero defensive capability, it's made of fucking balsawood.

So it's like the Spitfire if it were also slow, had shit firepower and an awful cockpit that limits visibility. I can't even think of a plane this bad in the real world.
>>
>>63626328

It really isn't that strange for a weapon system to stay in service 30-50 years, which some upgrades along the way of course. The F-15 and F-16 were both introduced around 1970. The M16 rifle was introduced in the 60s and it is just now getting replaced by the M4 Carbine. Stuff lasts a long time if you get it right on the first go. (Or the first few iterations at least)
>>
File: starwarsgif[1].gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
starwarsgif[1].gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>63626328
>>
File: B-1B_B-2_and_B-52.jpg (174 KB, 800x604) Image search: [Google]
B-1B_B-2_and_B-52.jpg
174 KB, 800x604
>>63627467
Because when you come up with a new design the old ones are scrapped immediately.
>>
File: LaGG3.jpg (338 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
LaGG3.jpg
338 KB, 1920x1080
>>63627528
>I can't even think of a plane this bad in the real world
>>
>>63627544

So then where are the Tie Interceptors and Advanced Ties?

>Because when you come up with a new design you only use the old ones.
>>
>>63627528
>tie fighters
>slow
You also seem to thing that their laser canons are the same as the ones storm troopers carry around.
>>
>>63627685

The EU isn't canon anymore bro. Those things simply don't exist unless Disney chooses to reintroduce them.
>>
File: Falcon-hangar.jpg (468 KB, 1925x995) Image search: [Google]
Falcon-hangar.jpg
468 KB, 1925x995
>>63627544
>>63627304

I'd also like to add that during test combat, a single F-22 was able to take down 4 F-16s and 5 F-15s one after the other.

Not employing your new design in combat is a folly. The first order shouldn't be so clumsy.
>>
>>63627666
The LaGG at least had good armament and durability.
>>
>>63627753
Interceptors were in the battle of Endor defending Death Star 2.

Not saying that the New Order TIES are identical to the basic TIE fighter (I'm guessing it'll end up having better weapons and possibly even shields) but the Interceptors are canon.

And of course there's no guarantee that there are no New Order Interceptors lying around.
>>
>>63627685
>>63627772
It's almost like the First Order is less capable and has less resources than a fucking Galactic Empire and so doesn't have the absolute top of the line equipment.

And please provide a source for that. There have been plenty of lobsided F-15 vs F-22 drills but your particular numbers are interesting.
>>
>>63626328
Technology, especially large ships/planes, don't change much over the last 20-30 years. There was too much of a difference in the prequels. It was really odd.

We still use the b52, and nimitz class aircraft carriers from 40 years ago.
>>
Navy ship designs aren't that different nowadays, like subs in WW2 to now are pretty similar
>>
File: 1423652961325.gif (374 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1423652961325.gif
374 KB, 480x270
>>63627811
>Interceptors were in the battle of Endor defending Death Star 2.
Where they getting chewed up by fucking Y-Wings. Don't pretend a Tie Interceptor is a fucking F-22.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 800x539) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 800x539
>>63627528
>slow
>poorly armoured
>insufficient armament
>short range
Tie Fighter is the G.50 of spaceships.
>>
>>63627713
They are slow. Both the X-Wing and the Tie-Fighter have maximum atmospheric speeds comparable to late WWII prop-driven planes. (in the 1200 kph range) Korean war era jets would effortlessly outfly these things.

But the difference in speed between the two is fewer than 150 kph, which is barely anything. I'd like to know the rate of turn on these things though, that might actually set the two apart.
>>
File: 1423652899647.gif (458 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1423652899647.gif
458 KB, 480x270
>>63627900
>>
>>63627900
EU Y-Wings were absolute shit. OT Y-Wings were actually good.

I didn't even comment on the quality of the Interceptor in that post. I was just pointing out that they weren't strictly EU TIEs.
>>
>>63627879
We never had a population trillions upon trillions made up of millions of unique alien species with unique thought process to drive progress though
>>
>>63627912
What the fuck are you smoking? 1200 kph in 650 knots. That's faster than a F-86 or MiG-15, and no fucking WW2 fighter is close to that.
>>
>>63627943
It's one military and a handful of shipyards.

The changes from the prequels to episode 4 were WAY too drastic. It was really oddly out of place. You can assume a military vessel should last at LEAST 50 years based on our historic use.
>>
>>63627954
Yeah, you're right, I dropped a 0 when transferring to metric.
>>
File: ilmmglt1.jpg (47 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
ilmmglt1.jpg
47 KB, 600x412
>>63627932
Forget the Ties at all. The real question is where are the A-Wings. That thing's a monster.
>>
What the fuck are you niggers even arguing about.

Star Wars doesn't even have space physics, the ships fly through space like they're flying through an atmosphere (thanks to George Lucas' infantile mind when it came to sci-fi).

Star wars is basically a space fantasy, not science fiction and you should treat it as such.
>>
>things change at a rapid pace
B-52s are scheduled to serve into 2040. F-15s into the 2030s. India's still building Mig-21s, a design from the 60's.

Military tech generally has a pretty long shelf life.
>>
>>63626328
>the only good thing about the prequels was how everything was different and we got to see how the 'old world' looked before the empire took over

The PT was shit and the ship/tech design was awful.
>>
>>63627912
Just fucking stop with your fighter jet shit, they aren't actually fighter jets. Star Wars doesn't give two shits about physics. The ships' abilities are completely reliant on how well equipped each side is written. Or you can start doing high school physics equations with numbers you found on wookiepedia if you really want.

And I meant the TIE is relatively fast, in universe it's described as fast.

Everyone gets it, you're into planes and shit. I've got a degree in archaeology, I don't go around explaining how Indiana Jones doesn't do his job very well.
>>
>>63627999

Seriously, the tech should have mostly looked the same.
>>
File: Aaaaaaa.jpg (158 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Aaaaaaa.jpg
158 KB, 2048x1365
>>63627999
Nice trips, but one of the only nice things about the prequels was the starship designs, they were all pretty kick-ass.
>>
>>63626328

star wars is essentially at the end of technology in-universe

all they can do at this point is make their turbolasers, shields, and hyperdrives slightly improved, massive technological breakthroughs are over. there's essentially no better conventional weapon than the turbolaser and no propulsion faster or more reliable than hyperdrives

they have been spacefaring for over a thousand generations, remember.
>>
>>63628038
Then again, George didn't do the design work for the ships and whatnot, so there wasn't much he could fuck up about it.
>>
>>63628038
All the shit the rebels were using in episode 4 should have been mostly surplus from the clone wars. Lucas redesigned everything for the prequels as a cash grab, and because he's an idiot.
>>
>>63626328
>PT to OT
>most technology is replaced or redesigned
>except the droids you trust to run your ships
I'm okay with the NT looking similar to the OT.
>>
/tv/ will never be the same again after this
>>
>>63628016

my only issue with it was the presence of touchscreens everywhere

all the actual ship designs (naboo excluded) felt pretty rough/utilitarian star wars-y to me
>>
The ship designs in the PT looked too advanced, didn't make any sense. It was only until episode 3 that we got designs that looked like they belonged in the same universe as the OT, but only briefly at the end.
>>
>>63628012
Wait, you don't? Indiana Jones is a fucking TERRIBLE archeologist. That boulder trap would've been the find of the fucking century, the guy basically destroyed a global heritage site because he wanted a gold statuette.
>>
>>63628113
not only that, as someone else mentioned, this is a universe where tech is at a deadend for the most part. Spaceships, especially large ones, should have half lives of a century.
>>
File: Ep1-003.jpg (2 MB, 1750x1152) Image search: [Google]
Ep1-003.jpg
2 MB, 1750x1152
>>63628080
Just because the designs didn't go with the same aesthetic as the original films doesn't mean they were shitty designs.
>>
>>63628080
Planets were banned from having standing armies in the Republic, so the Naboo fighters probably weren't built in big numbers.
>>
>>63628138
The designs were fine, it just didn't make any sense that they would all be gone only 30 years later.
>>
>>63627910

G50 was manoeuvrable and fast. It only lacked decent guns.
>>
>>63628012
In my defense, the Tie Fighter is also canonically a piece of shit that gets rolled in the thousands by superior fighters. I'm just baffled at how shit it is.
>>
File: 1256598902598.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
1256598902598.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2400
Star Destroyers are still awesome though.
>>
>>63628038

Thank Mr. Skeltal.
>>
>>63628165
>fast
They couldn't even catch up to Hurricanes let alone Spitfires during BoB.
>>
>>63628186
Star Destoyers will never not be awesome. They're the lightsabers of space combat. Shitty and impractical but just so fucking cool it doesn't matter.
>>
>>63628131
It's a movie anon. It's not trying to teach anyone about archaeology, it's just a set up for adventures. Just like Star Wars isn't a physics lesson and the space battles are a story telling element, not an actual battle dependent on military force.
>>
>>63628175
The empire put focus in large ship to ship combat, at least that's the excuse.
>>
File: Leviathan_Ebon_Hawk.png (673 KB, 1280x550) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan_Ebon_Hawk.png
673 KB, 1280x550
>>63626328
This is a major problem with the Star Wars universe. There's no real noticeable technological progression.
How can you justify having tech that's 4000 years old be almost exactly the same as it is in the present day? Did all the scientists and visionaries in the whole galaxy simply disappear for a few millennia?
>>
>>63628205

OK perhaps it's not that fast, and Spitfire was way too advanced for them, but they were in Finland against the soviets with great success.
>>
>>63628175
It's definitely shit, I mean the fuckers don't even have air in the cockpits. I feel like they mass produce shitty TIEs to protect the expensive Star Destroyers.
>>
>>63628217
I thought the logic for the wedge shape was that it could also fire its side guns forward; hence intensifying forward firepower

Like a ship of the line that can fire both its broadsides forward.
>>
>>63628233

That pic though... Man that ship looks stupid.
>>
File: imperial_officer_1.jpg (55 KB, 295x405) Image search: [Google]
imperial_officer_1.jpg
55 KB, 295x405
>>63628217
They just perfectly encapsulate Imperial authority. At least Disney had the sense to keep the fascist swag around in TFA.
>>
>>63628233
It's happened in our history.

Sometimes tech gets to a point you can't progress unless there is a significant breakthrough.

Our space program isn't anymore advanced than it was in the 1960s..
>>
>>63626328
>Massive galactic Empire spanning millions of worlds is collapsing
>No massive breakthroughs in technology occurring
I don't see the problem here.
>>
>>63628233
Because when you actually read up on what Star Wars tech is actually capable of, things really just become about mobilizing labor and material resources with no concern about the practicality or efficiency of the design. The Death Star wasn't a leap forward in weapon's design that necessitated scientific breakthroughs to complete, it was basically just a giant penis for the Emperor to wave around and look badass. The Star Destroyer can lay waste to worlds in minutes by itself. What it doesn't do is fucking blow it up like a goddamn cherrybomb in a watermelon.
>>
>>63628233
It's because Bioware wanted to make their own game with Star Wars slapped on it. They could either make a game so far in the past it didn't really effect the prequels or they could use the prequel time period. They wanted more freedom so they chose the past while using the licence to its fullest by having Not R2-D2, Not Chewbacca, Not Han Solo, and Not 'sexy Bib Fortuna'

Also not canon
>>
>>63628233
I think the official answer is that they "finished" science.
It's actually a real concept. Science isn't an infinite source of advancement, at some point you just know everything there is to know about a subject, and you can't get more advanced.

In Star Wars this happened a thousand years ago. Nothing can get better than it is now, it can just be engineered differently or for different purposes, or be made with more manual skill. In terms of actual conceptual breakthroughs, there are none more to be made.
>>
>>63628342
>The Death Star wasn't a leap forward in weapon's design that necessitated scientific breakthroughs to complete,

Uhm, yeah it did. Something about hypermatter. I don't care enough to look it up.
>>
File: doom.png (7 KB, 204x127) Image search: [Google]
doom.png
7 KB, 204x127
>>63628292
>Our space program isn't anymore advanced than it was in the 1960s

You are grossly misinformed.
>>
>>63628217
It reminds me of the beginning of RotS, where the Star Destroyer and droid ship are firing broadsides at each other with manned artillery. It made no sense whatsoever but it was based as fuck.
>>
Speaking of ship designs, how rad would a TIE with a gyroscopic cockpit ball be? It could vector its guns and engines in any direction at any time.
>>
>>63628382
Nearly all spacefaring vessels in Star Wars have hypermatter reactors, the Death Star just has a fuckhueg one they usually use to power entire planets.
>>
>>63628393
lol wut? Are we, or are we not using chemical rockets to put payloads into space?

For fucks sake, the Russians are literally using rockets from the 60s still.
>>
>>63628408

Autoloaders can jam or malfunction, and only add to the maintenance costs of an already expensive ship. Lives are cheap. Why do you think American tanks don't use autoloaders?
>>
>>63627861

Their Stormtroopers at least look able to kick ass as a professional military force though, instead of being drones like in the OT.
>>
>>63628413
They did that in the Lost in Space movie and it looked retarded.
>>
>>63628413
Yes but how would the pilot keep level in space with no horizon or gravity?
>>
>>63628138
>>63628076
Man I used to have this book. Shit was comfy when I was a kid.
>>
>>63628472
Virtual horizon instrument relative to wing orientation. EZ.
>>
>>63628454
I thought the Death Star was essentially a planet-sized lightsaber

It's powered by a fuck huge lightsaber crystal after all
>>
>>63626328
> Things change at a rapid pace

Lol. Hows highschool bro?
>>
>>63628462
But we never see manned artillery before or after this, they all use lasers and shit.
>>
>>63628408
If you scrap the dialogue and other shit, that opening scene in RoTS is everything a Star Wars space battle should be.
>>
>>63628454

But they needed a breakthrough in hypermatter research in order to make the Death Star work. Its why the first one took 20 years to build and the second only only a handful.
>>
File: 1411683749035.jpg (214 KB, 2160x1080) Image search: [Google]
1411683749035.jpg
214 KB, 2160x1080
>>63628493
It had several of those kyber crystals in the main weapon. They seem to absorb, amplify, and redirect energy.
>>
>>63628459
just stop
>>
>>63626438
>small moons shooting lasers
That's no moon
>>
File: file.png (4 MB, 1920x1033) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4 MB, 1920x1033
>>63626328

>30 years has passed

Let me post some military equipment we were using 30 years ago.
>>
>>63628525

except it lacks any weight because we know how it ends, we know the emperor, anakin, and obiwan live by virtue of them existing in the OT, we know coruscant survives because the republic cant be defeated

we also sure as shit dont care about clones

this is what makes it just pretty scenery, and the ROTJ battle actually engaging, because there are actual characters in it
>>
>>63628540
Am I wrong? Last I checked we still use chemical rockets, and Russians still use the soyuz via a fucking R-7 rocket.
>>
File: file.png (975 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
file.png
975 KB, 940x627
>>63628602

Oh man it's not like this is still in use 30 years on.

side note, the B-52 has been deemed to be considered combat effective until 2040
>>
>>63628618
>we still use chemical rockets

Do you have a suggestion for something we can replace them with?
>>
>>63628602
Haven't BRRRRRRRRRRRTs been retired?
>>
>>63628642
Thanks for making my point that sometimes, technology hits dead ends for long periods of time.
>>
>>63627065
Not to mention pilots have literally no side view from the cockpit, it's retarded beyond belief.
>>
>>63628618
>they use rockets from the same family that's had dozens of iterations and constant refits
>lol they're literally from the sixties

just

stop
>>
File: file.png (576 KB, 1176x675) Image search: [Google]
file.png
576 KB, 1176x675
>>63628629

Whilst it is retired now, the F-14 was in use for over 30 years

>>63628647

Nope, soon to be though.
Doesn't change the fact they've been operational for over 30 years thus proving OP's point retarded.
>>
File: 1383638134943.jpg (38 KB, 297x288) Image search: [Google]
1383638134943.jpg
38 KB, 297x288
>>63626328
I'm pretty sure the collapse of the Galactic Empire which had replaced the Republic (that had been around thousands of fucking years) would create something akin to a Dark Age in the Star Wars galaxy. It's not very surprising that technology's advancement would slow considerably, particularly for the remnant factions.

We don't know if the republic was established again -- probably not considering what we've seen so far. It's unlikely that things would just keep on going at the same pace they were moving previously. Science does not prosper in the wake of massive warfare and the collapse of enormous infrastructure (see what happened after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in Europe).
>>
>>63628602
>>63628629

You're missing the point. They had advancements in Tie technology 30 years ago in ROTJ. Now they've suddenly disappeared.

Or do you think we still use the F4 Phantom.
>>
>>63628673
lol the Antares rocket uses leftover engines from the N-1 project you moron.

JUST STOP.
>>
>>63628658
Just because we still use chemical rockets doesn't mean the chemical rockets we use are on the same level as chinese fucking fireworks. Rocket science is advancing all the time. It's just not as glamorous as it used to be.
>>
>>63628714
Many countries still use the f-4.
>>
File: file.png (571 KB, 711x406) Image search: [Google]
file.png
571 KB, 711x406
>>63628676

Here's a ship that's been in operation for 45 years.

Anyway I think you get my point. Military hardware seldom gets replaced. and 40-50 year lifespans for ships is completely normal.

>>63628714

And are you telling me that there'll be NO new TIE variants in the new film? I'm certain I've seen new variants in the trailers. Either way it's a retarded point.
>>
>>63628676
Every male member of my family since we immigrated to the United States has fired an M2 in a war.

It's a family tradition at this point.
>>
>>63628676

>soon to be though.

Don't bet on it. The A-10 could stay in service as far ahead as 2028.
>>
>>63628729
our next gen heavy space vehicle is reusing shuttle engines.

Like I said, sometimes technology hits a brick wall for a while.
>>
>>63626328
Thats like people in the 50s thinking by now flying cars would be widespread. Technology can stagnate, shitlord
>movie is 30-40
>makes it 40-50
>look at 100years ago technology has changed
Shitpost harder Timmy
>>
>>63628744

They don't show new TIE variants stupid. They just show the old ones with a new paint scheme.

>>63628741
Sand people still use blaster tech from long ago. I guess the First Order Empire or New Republic uses them as the mainstay for their front line infantry too.
>>
>>63628248
>Finland mentioned
:D:D:D:D
>>
>>63628761

Or maybe the engines work for what they need them to do and there's no need redesigning them for little to no benefit.

Ford doesn't redesign the wheel every time they make a new car, you know.
>>
>>63628797

>they don't show new TIE variants stupid

How do you know that? Replacement to military hardware often looks exactly the same as it's previous gens.
>>
>>63628525
>and other shit
you mean the entire movie except the ships going pew pew?
>>
>>63628722
if by leftover you mean redesigned and refited over several design generations then yes
>>
File: M1911A1.png (1 MB, 1530x958) Image search: [Google]
M1911A1.png
1 MB, 1530x958
>>63628748
people still love these old things too
>>
>>63628821
You are missing the point. The point is technology stagnates until new breakthroughs. Sometimes those breakthroughs take hundreds of years.

Therefore it's not out of line for the new order to be using the same shit. It is fucked up that the prequels had much different looking gear than the rebels had in episode 4.
>>
>>63628248

>using soviet aircraft to make the G.50 look good.

Nigger soviet aircraft in the winter war were literal flying coffins. Complete and utter fucking shit.
>>
>>63628861
No, literally the same engines built in the 60s/70s and tweaked. Just Stop.
>>
>>63628861
>The Antares rocket was successfully launched from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on April 21, 2013. This marked the first successful launch of the NK-33 heritage engines built in early 1970s.[20]

JUST STOP
>>
>>63628867

>I am not aware of what developments have happened in rocket engine design for the last 60 years, and therefore they do not exist

Literally you.
>>
>>63628873

This

The Finland fags even used American Brewster Buffalos to shoot down Russian aircraft. And the Buffalo was total shit with engines that would overheat.
>>
>>63628910
Are we not using the R-25 on the SLS

Did the Antares not use a soviet engine built in the 70s.
>>
>>63628867
I think the point is that saying the space program isn't more advanced now when we have a goddamn international space station, orbital telescope, rovers on mars, satellites orbiting nearly every planet in our solar system including the recent development of microgravity lagrange point experiments and truly reusable rockets is fucking retarded. Only a total mongoloid who thinks bigger=technological advancement would make that argument.
>>
>>63627528
>Maybe it turns well

Certainly does in Rogue Squadron games. Shit-hard to dogfight with an X-Wing, and runs fucking circles round a Y-Wing.

As for the other faults, I always thought they were probably cheap to mass-produce, and the Empire simply didn't give a shit if loads of stormtroopers died.

Because stormroopers are all clones :^)
>>
>>63628934

I have no idea because I'm not a giant fucking nerd.
>>
>>63628948
I'm focusing on how we get there, the engine that powers us into space. Hasn't changed since the 1960s in any real significant way, other than burning more efficiently.

Which proves my point. That a tech can virtually stagnate.
>>
>>63627975
>where are the A-Wings
Fucking good question.
>>
>>63628188
Underrated
>>
>>63628934
The R-25s used on the first shuttle launch were hugely different to the R-25s on the last

Shit, it had like 10% more thrust, all said and done. And in no way is it reasonable to equate to the old saturn rockets.
>>
>>63628342
> implying Sheev doesn't already have a giant penis
>>
>>63627975

Alas, the A-wings do not look cool.
>>
>>63629111
Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.
>>
>>63627975
>>63629036
>>63629111
They're saving A-wings for the rogue squadron movie, which will pair nicely with EA's brand new rogue squadron battlefront game that will ship with 4 maps and 4 playable ships and a $70 DLC pass
>>
>>63629111
>A-wings do not look cool
Giding's me?
X-wing looks terrible. It should have been the z-95 that was made canon.

Also Y-wing looks better than X-wing
>>
>>63629214

What? This is obviously the reason we don't see them more. They make less cool toys.
>>
The technology has pretty much been the same for thousands of years in the Star Wars universe. The only reason things looked so shitty in the OT is because they were essentially going through a dark age because if the Empire.
>>
We don't even see what most of the universe looks like in the OT. All we ever see are distant backwater planets, military installations, and mostly uninhabited planets. Everything in the OT looked run down and grungy because they were visiting run down and grungy places.

In fact the closest we get to the civilized Galaxy in the OT is Cloud City, which actually has a sleek look very consistent with the Prequels.

I hate this idea that just because the OT took place primarily in gritty locations that Star Wars has to always be defined by looking gritty. I guarantee you Naboo still looks as Flash Gordon as ever during the events of RoTJ.
>>
>>63628950
>Because stormroopers are all clones :^)

Why are you trolling like this Australia?
>>
It's not that unbelievable, look at the battle cruisers and stuff the U.S. Navy uses, they've hardly changed
>>
>>63628280
Yeah it works great if your target is big and immobile, like a planet, but utter shit for something that can get behind it, such as anything space-worthy.
>>
>>63629735
they have turetted guns as well
>>
>>63626328

How could the new Republic not have a plan to keep the Empire from rebuilding? It couldn't have been a secret that they were building new ships and recruiting troops, because where would that have gotten the recruits from?

So the Republic just chose to ignore them and hope for the best, when they could have gathered enough Republic forces to wipe them out before they could threaten the peace. If the new Republic is that hopeless then they deserve to be ruled by an Empire.
>>
>>63629994

Heil Hitler!
>>
>>63630035
Heil Hitler.
>>
>All these faggots complaining about the movie before they see it

People like the OP are more annoying to me than the Prequels.

I never thought anything SW related would annoy me as much as the Prequels, but all the whining fucks who complain online about a movie they have not even seen yet have taken first place.
>>
File: wwww.gif (891 KB, 282x166) Image search: [Google]
wwww.gif
891 KB, 282x166
>>63630075

In a few days you'll be one of us.
>>
File: latest.jpg (338 KB, 1502x992) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
338 KB, 1502x992
>>63626328

Still the best destroyer.
>>
I just wanted to shitpost once before my job interview.
>>
>>63626328
Nigger do you think Luke Skywalker is 50 years old? What in fucks name are you talking about?
>>
We still use military technology that is decades old on Earth and we don't have the logistical issues that come with having to distribute new hardware around an entire galaxy or replace capital ships the size of Manhattan.

In short OP, you're a fucking retard.
>>
File: latest.jpg (149 KB, 1020x735) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
149 KB, 1020x735
>>63626328

The only think I find stupid about the new ties is they are not using the interceptor wings.

Otherwise the 2 pilot design and rotatable guns is a upgrade
>>
It's a common fallacy that people make. They compare a modern gadget like an IPhone with say a commercially available handset mobile device from the 80s and say look how far we've come in just 30 years.

In reality, most progress is slow and gradual when it comes to military R&D, technological development by governments or large corporations. America's missile defense system (ICBM command and control) was updated just last year from windows 95 to a linux kernel which will not be updated for 2 decades. Software stability is crucial. The update rolled out over a planned 15 year cycle and was implemented after rigorous testing.

In the Star Wars universe, technology is secretly hoarded by massive corporations who use their exclusive rights to compete in a wide variety of spaces from building personal transport vehicles to starships. With the fall of the Empire, it is even possible that technology regresses in certain places, because the political instability and secrecy of technology causes any collapsing company's database of information to effectively be lost and forgotten.

Isaac Asimov when he wrote the Foundation series had this amazing insight, and explained it quite explicitly. A massive galactic empire discovers that a rogue group of scientists plan to bring it down, in order to prevent them from succeeding it offers them a choice, exile or death. They choose exile to a very remote outlying planet. Their neighbor planets, although members of the empire, have already regressed technologically and forgotten how to use nuclear power, most of their reactors and ships having broken down many generations ago, and there being no qualified person to repair them.

It's a common theme in history. Empire expands too far, its outer edges crumble first and revert into barbarism.
>>
>>63627528
>This faggot never played TIE fighter games
absolutely haram
>>
>>63630503
Someone else who recognizes how much Lucas borrowed from Foundation. Great book.
>>
>>63630503

Would the outburst of war between the Separatist and the Army of the Republic explain the advance tech of that war?
>>
>movie
>star wars
>>
>>63630503
HOL UP
I thought the scientists that were exiled were Hari Seldon's psychohistorians, and they did it not out of the Emperor's banishment but of their own will. They did foresee the fall of the empire, after all. And from their predictions, it's already too late to prevent the fall, only possible to reduce the length of the proceeding dark ages after said fall. Terminus was supposed to be where the revival of civilisation would take place, since all of humanity's knowledge was preserved there.
>>
>>63628864
up
>>
>>63630619
I think it's easy to assume that the technology the banking clans can fund was better than the republic but the republic spent way more money on elite soldiers. It was a better time for warfare in the galaxy. More credits to go around.
>>
>>63629234
thanks ea and lucasfilm :)
>>
>>63629111
Fight me IRL
>>
File: Untitled.png (794 KB, 1178x603) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
794 KB, 1178x603
B-Wing motherfuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3o_UpFn7E
>>
Anyone else find it weird that we only see a few ship designs in the trailers?
>>
>>63630702

No doubt in episode 8 and 9 we will see a ramp up in the Frist Order tech

Hopefully something a little more unique for this era.
>>
File: Star Wars (10).jpg (625 KB, 3452x1488) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars (10).jpg
625 KB, 3452x1488
>>63626328
>>
>>63628873
>early part of the war, was comparable to western aircraft by 1944-1945.

>la-7's and yak-9's tovarisch.
>>
>>63630852

>implying La-7's and Yak 9's were used in the winter war

you literally fucking what mate.
>>
File: N096H2W.png (2 MB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
N096H2W.png
2 MB, 3840x1080
>>63630840
I dig the new Star Destroyer but that shuttle design is utterly fucking bizarre.
>>
File: latest.jpg (254 KB, 1502x992) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
254 KB, 1502x992
>>63630890
>>
File: industrytimeline_tcm77-313731.png (83 KB, 980x1140) Image search: [Google]
industrytimeline_tcm77-313731.png
83 KB, 980x1140
Economic growth is not a straight ligne you tards. It's driven by some industrials revolutions.

In case of SW, if the Laser shit is still the Era after 30 years , don't expect a radical change in design.

Movie speaking i think it's fucking lazy. Bravo Top Minds of Disney.
>>
Why is there a beached Star Destroyer again?
>>
>>63631014

Its a remnant of a battle....
>>
>>63631035
battle of what
>>
>>63631048
A Star Destoyer.
>>
>>63631048

who's turn it was to fuck ur mum in the ass lol #rekt
>>
>>63631048
Battle of Jakku
>>
File: Star-Destroyer-Finalizer2.jpg (92 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Star-Destroyer-Finalizer2.jpg
92 KB, 600x600
>>63630840
>>
>>63631014
>>63631035
>>63631048
>>63631055
>>63631062
>>63631067
>Star Destroyer
>it was the one destroyed instead

Oh the ironing. Just like pottery
>>
>>63631083
>That massively reduced bridge.

They're learning.
>>
File: featuredImage.img.jpg (472 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
featuredImage.img.jpg
472 KB, 1920x1080
>>63631035

A battle that takes place over Jakku after the Battle of Endor.

I believe that its after this battle that the remnant of the Empire goes into hiding to
rebuild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfbhM9rkAo
>>
>>63626328
>What is technological stagnation or regression

Just because our technology is advancing so rapidly that there are noticeable leaps in technology within a single lifetime, It doesn't mean that It will always be like this. For most of History it wasn't like this. For most of history people used roughly the same technology for hundreds or even thousands of years before upgrading.

What's to say Humanity won't enter some Warhammer 40k dystopia where all our technology is ten thousand years old and no one knows how to it exactly works or how to replicate it, only how to preserve it
>>
File: red_light_1.0.jpg (149 KB, 1904x799) Image search: [Google]
red_light_1.0.jpg
149 KB, 1904x799
>>63631110
The bridge is still a giant window.
>>
>>63631205
Most are.
>>
>>63631205
Baby steps.
>>
RDM BSG had based CICs/bridges. They were at the center of the ship. And the ships have no windows.
>>
>>63630840
Is that a model or CGI
>>
>>63631276
Both.
>>
JJ is a rehashing hack

who would have thought
>>
File: SSD Ravager.webm (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
SSD Ravager.webm
2 MB, 500x280
>>63631115
>>
File: Star Wars (79).png (3 MB, 1382x1742) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars (79).png
3 MB, 1382x1742
>>63631205

The Republic/Empire/First Order like their bridges the way they are.
>>
File: ISD Bridge crew.jpg (116 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
ISD Bridge crew.jpg
116 KB, 1920x816
>>63631343
>tfw you will never serve in a Star Destroyer bridge pit pressing buttons.
>>
>>63626328
>>movie is set 40-50 years after ROTJ, roughly the same time between episode 3 and episode 4
You really don't know shit about Star Wars, do you?
>>
>>63631366
I know those officers are doing serious work, but that pit looks comfy as all hell.
>>
File: Bridge crew.jpg (141 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Bridge crew.jpg
141 KB, 1920x816
>>63631594
>>
>>63626861
So then let him write it and then get someone good to give it a going over and clean up anything that was bad
>>
>>63631750
Problem is that wouldn't have happened.
George was in full cronyism mode by the time he started work on the prequels. Nobody was allowed to tone him down or polish his shit up. He wanted to play the auteur and surrounded himself with people who wouldn't interfere with that. And he'd have done it again.
>>
>>63626328
>so this is what lucas meant when he said fans are going to get what they want with this film. it's nostalgia bait. it's a cash-in. might as well be called a remake
This has been obvious for months, Anon.
>>
>>63626861
>I would gladly have a thousand safe silly sci-fi rehashes
I kind of think you're going to get your wish.
>>
>>63631808

Hi OP.
>>
>>63626864
>so they'll give the people exactly what they were whining about lacking in the PT
the vocal minority.
>>
>>63631785
>And he'd have done it again.
Disney wouldn't have allowed that. They're the boss no no matter what, but I do kind of wish Lucas had stayed on in some kind of capacity. He kind of strikes me as this silly, imaginative child, misguided in some things, and immature, but useful in his own way. The prequels were rather poorly done movies, and nothing this film does is going to change that, but there's something I find so soulless about JJ Abrams and his works. Before you say "Jew", it's not that, I've seen Jews be passionate about their art before. I think it's more "fake geek". He got roped into doing these sye-fye thingies a while ago, and he doesn't really get the whole innovating or creating new ideas bit, but he knows how to polish up old stuff and turn in a decent product that keeps making money.
>>
File: Capture.png (67 KB, 1592x561) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
67 KB, 1592x561
>>63631894
If you say so.
>>
>>63627418
we're talking about disney here faggot. the children company.
>>
>>63631980

newfag
>>
>>63631943
I'm pretty sure they offered him a seat as a creative consultant, but he refused.

I see what you're saying, anon. Prime Spielberg is a good example of that passionate Jewish filmmaker you're talking about, and he actually did have George on board in the way you described for the first three Indiana Jones movies.
I also see what you're saying about JJ being uninspired and oftentimes in over his head.

He'll do fine with this, since it's just a nostalgiafest anyway, but Disney knew what it was doing when they didn't give him the chair for the rest of the trilogy.
>>
>>63626924
Not really. Internet is really the only difference
>>
>>63631785
Like this guy>>63631943 said, now that Disney owns the franchise, George isn't in full control anymore.

And even if he didn't want to write a new script, they could have stilled used his plot outline that he handed over to them.
>>
>>63627900
>fucking F-22.
this is not a battle proven aircraft.
>>
>>63632047
I hear that.

>Russia pissed at America
>superficial upper-middle class back on the rise
>neon and synthesizers being back in style
>delightfully shitty action movies all over the place in the form of capeshit

All we need are women doing squats again.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.