[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any musicals that you feel could make a good film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Folder.jpg (22 KB, 650x645) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
22 KB, 650x645
Are there any musicals that you feel could make a good film?

I think pic related could be if they made it more of a political thriller and made the overall tone more tense
>>
I am trying to think of how one might turn Chess into a film, technically speaking.

Unlike Les Miserables, another musical with very little dialogue, there aren't any interesting visuals in the musical.

Les Miserables could take the interesting setting of 18th C France, not to mention it had some fighting scenes.

Chess would just be a bunch of scenes in arbitrary places.

I have always rated Chess as one of my favourite musicals because of the melodies and vocal power required of the protagonists.

I am concerned that any attempt to make Chess into a film would just create a banal outcome.
>>
>>63622014
It would probably take adding some additional scenes to break up the music and flesh out some parts of the story that we don't really get to see.
>>
>>63622116

Some of the music would have to be gutted from the final product. But I suppose that would work in the context of making it more politically motivated.

If the movie were to be based on the politics rather than the relationships what would be the focal point of the plot?

Could it be possible to create some additional story around Florence's father? Considering how the musical ends with Florence's being horrified learning that her father might not be alive, in spite of the deal to release him?

What's the political slant?
>>
>>63622518
I'd say have the romance be the sub plot with more of the pressure from both sides on the players being the center of the movie
>>
>>63621190
Do you mean cut out the music and make it just dialog, or just adapt a stage musical onto film?
In either case I would pick Urinetown.
>>
>>63623250
Either or but preferably keeping the music
>>
>>63621190

The Book of Mormon would make a good comedy film imo.
>>
>>63623250
How come?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
This one
>>
>>63621190
On that note are there any musicals that could gracefully translate to nonmusical film? And I'm not talking about musicals adapted from existing works, like Les Miserables or Wizard of Oz, but stories that started off as musicals.
Unless that's what you meant, OP.
>>
>>63625773
I think that Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, Oklahoma, Miss Saigon, and Avenue q would all work without music
>>
>>63621190
No.
>>
>>63625880
Do you really think there isn't one great musical film?
>>
>>63625938
None that I've seen.
>>
>>63626047
Have you seen any of the Rodgers and Hammerstein stuff or have you just seen the newer ones?
>>
>>63625938
Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks were both pretty based.

Only two musicals I actually like, too, unless Blues Brothers counts.
>>
>>63625717
I was going to say Frankenstein the musical but I felt that it already had a bunch of good film adaptions and it wasn't to different from most accurate Frankenstein movies
>>
>>63625554
It's a really funny and irreverent satire of the genre, and has great music. It kinda has a South Park feel to it. While it would be best to keep the music, I think it would still work if they made a nonmusical movie out of it.
For those who don't know the plot it's about a town where there's a water shortage so they force people to pay to pee under penalty of death. A guy leads a revolution to overthrow the local government and make it free for everyone to pee.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.