[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the fastest you've ever turned off a film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 23
File: ghost-in-the-shell-1995-02-g.jpg (253 KB, 1200x806) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell-1995-02-g.jpg
253 KB, 1200x806
What is the fastest you've ever turned off a film?
>>
as soon as they started singing the nirvana song in the new peter pan movie
>>
>>63620008
You turned off the projector at the theatre?
>>
>>63620008
Dude I just finished torrenting that movie..don't tell me it's going to be shit.

>>63619962
2 minutes into Oujia. It was full retardation.
>>
>>63620134

Pan rips are out now.
>>
Ghost in the shell was so fucking lackluster. All exposition with two good animation scenes and an ending akin to being kicked in the gut by a mule.
>>
>>63619962
>>63620433

ITT plebs
>>
>>63620433
You don't know what exposition means.
>>
>>63620453
this is coming from a fan of the manga. the film is highly overrated, and the new game about to come out is basically titanfall. the franchise is skewed at this point.
>>
>>63620520
The New Movie was passable
>>
>>63619962
>film
>>
>>63619962
Well I've only ever walked out on two movies: Boyhood and Fault in Our Stars. Thankfully I got in free at my university's theater.
>>
I made it about 60 seconds into The Tree of Life tbqf
>>
The new Hercules with the Rock.

One of the dumbest fucking movies I've ever seen three minutes of.

Shit, the story of Hercules is insanely tragic and awesome. They glance over all of that awesomeness in a 35 second montage at the beginning of the film, kind of like Wolverine, then introduce this absolutely garbage plot where herc is like a mercenary with this squad of power-rangers level faggots with him.

Movie gave me cancer. Would rather watch Doom 150 times in a row.
>>
>>63620008
TEENAGE ANGST HAS PAID OFF WELL
>>
File: 1446398953503.jpg (39 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1446398953503.jpg
39 KB, 500x384
Never.

No matter how bad a film is I ride through to the end.

I sat through Warhol's Empire
>>
File: immortel.jpg (55 KB, 500x676) Image search: [Google]
immortel.jpg
55 KB, 500x676
in the first 10 minutes they say ''there is a naked man in a flying pyramide'' or something like that
that and the animation was fucking horrible

couldn't watch it
never turned off any other movie
>>
>>63620520
>this is coming from a fan of the manga

Then you should know the film was going for an entirely different aesthetic than what the manga was going for.

>>63620779

This.
>>
I didn't turn it off but big trouble in little china town was really disappointing
>>
>>63620779
Why the fuck would you do that?

You must have just kept it on while looking at your phone or some shit instead otherwise I literally don't understand how you can just sit there and watch fucking nothing for 8 hours straight. That defies pretentiousness, that's gotta require some special kind of brain damage.
>>
Trainspotting. Somehow, for all those years, I was kept out of the loop on that movie, and everyone said it was great, but I never really knew what it was about. So I went in completely cold, and also completely sober for the first time in months. About 45 seconds in, I realise it's a drug movie and OFF it goes.

>>63620008
wait are you serious? that happens? god damn.
>>
I wouldn't turn a movie off unless it was literally like 3/10 or so, but it's easy enough to spot movies that bad without watching them so I've never actually done it. Even if I'm bored as fuck I'll stick through a 5/10 movie just for having some decent things about it.
>>
>>63619962
The only movie I've ever shut off without finishing was A Memework Orange.
>>
>>63620947
It's only 8 hours man.
>>
>>63620779
Pretty much this. I probably dropped a few movies but I can't even remember which ones or if I even did it.
Hell, I even watch shitty movies on purpose for the sake of being able to have proper discussions about them since you really can't criticize a movie without watching it.
>>
>>63620949
>I realise it's a drug movie

While drugs are a big part of it, it's more about people from Muirhouse in general. Demographics of that area was like 75% infected with HIV from shared needles or something. The heroin is just a sub-plot in the movie.
>>
>>63619962
I almost always finish movies but I doubt V for Vendetta got 15 minutes out of me. It wasn't because of any /tv/ fedoracore connotations or anything like that, I was a fan of the comic book and the movie gutted me. It looked like a shit tv show and they tore the guts out of the story to make it palatable to edgy american teenagers.
>>
>>63620816
Not who you were responding to, but the Ghost in the Shell movie is a lot like Mamoru Oshii's other movies in that it's got some absolutely gorgeous atmosphere, animation and artistry.
The problem Oshii always has is that he has to try to philosophize. It's fine when he's kept on a leash, like with the first Patlabor movie. And GitS does keep him on the leash for the most part.
But when he gets off his leash, you get a scene like the one with Motoko on the boat monologuing to Batou(really the audience) about memories and is she real or just a product made of memories. Or the obvious Christian symbolism like the Tree of Life getting shot up at the end.
But that's all restrained compared to him going batshit crazy on the Christian symbolism with Angel's Egg, or standing on his soapbox to call post-Cold War Japan a bunch of limp-dicked faggots in Patlabor 2 or just plain going off the deep end and pulling a "lel, 2DEEP4U" with GitS 2.
So, on a visual and technical level, it's one of the best Japan has ever created. But it's rather subpar on actual character development and its plot is rather mediocre and Oshii's need to philosophize at the audience do drag it down.
It's not bad, but it is overrated.
>>
>>63621660
GITS 2 doubles down on all elements of the original, I know it has a god awful script that would get probably memed on if it wasn't so fucking dry but holy shit it's gorgeous.
Visually the entire movie is a 10/10 except for the scenes in Hong Kong/Hokkaido/wherever the fuck it was which are all 11s.
I'd probably enjoy more with the subtitles turned off.
>>
Just watched the new movie couple days ago, a few good fight scenes but dat throwback at the end was pretty fucking neat.
>>
Fresh Guacamole
I only lasted 101 seconds
>>
>>63621660
What do you think of Oshii's live-action work?
>>
File: the Drive of anime.jpg (318 KB, 640x3808) Image search: [Google]
the Drive of anime.jpg
318 KB, 640x3808
>>63622297
Been meaning to see that and Stray Dogs.
While he didn't direct it, Jin-Roh is my favorite that Oshii had a hand in, so I'm totally down for more Kerberos Saga.
>>
File: abel glance.jpg (105 KB, 900x930) Image search: [Google]
abel glance.jpg
105 KB, 900x930
only film i stopped watching this past year was wing of honnemaise, i downloaded either a shit fucking quality or something and jesus, i mean, it wasn't bad the first half was just slow. I went to bed and didn't bother. This is coming from someone who's favorite movie is the silent napoleon film.
>>
File: Stray Dog.jpg (29 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
Stray Dog.jpg
29 KB, 448x252
>>63622373
Jin-Roh is a great cop movie. Japan's cop stuff is really underrated.

The Red Spectacles and Stray Dogs are very interesting movies. They both look great and Stray Dogs has a particularly pretty soundtrack. They aren't for everyone but I love them.
>>
>>63620848
>big trouble in little china town

seriously, just get the fuck out

that's one of the greatest films ever made
>>
>>63621660
>monologuing to Batou(really the audience)
That scene was rather hamfisted, and the dub does it no favors as Motoko's voice actor is pretty terrible throughout the film.

>>63621660
>Christian symbolism like the Tree of Life getting shot up
Can you explain the Christian part? Because I'm not seeing it. I think it's just a nod to the overall theme of the film; that of the next evolution of AI and of ourselves.
>>
I turned off 'The Usual Suspects' pretty quick
>>
>>63622440
If you went to bed I don't think that's quite what OP means. I sometimes can't get into movies and instead feel tired for reasons that I can't explain even in the middle of the day. I'd say give it another shot. It's really great stuff.

Are you into science-fiction at all? I've always thought of Honneamise as the better version of Contact. It's slow burning but really cool, and it's got a lot of interesting stuff to make multiple viewings worthwhile.
>>
>>63622527

I guess i just wasn't sure whether it was deserving of putting another hour into it so i didn't continue it, i'll try it again since you're reccing it and i feel bad, it's one of the more highly praised movies on here where you don't see anything bad said

I like sci-fi but i didn't get much out of the first half.
>>
>>63622567
You mightn't have been in the mood but the movie also might simply not be your thing. It's certainly not for everyone. The second half definitely has some interesting stuff going on but it's all built off of what came before. Maybe give it another go but don't force yourself if it's not your thing.

Also were you watching it in English or Japanese? I think that both are fine so if you don't like one the other might make it more watchable. And the English dub has Brian "Reddit Suit" Cranston as one of the protagonist's friends in the space-force.
>>
>>63620670
Aw man, fuck you. It was just as cheesy and dumb as I thought it was going to be, and gave me exactly what I wanted. If you went in thinking it was going to be the oh so tragic story of Herecles with all the melodrama of an emo's first play, you're the idiot.
>>
>>63622476
same
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 160x160
any bergman flicks
>>
>>63622082

I felt the second was so much weaker.

The first has this visual undercurrent to it that I find fascinating. Every scene has a symbolic aspect to it and often visually depicts lines dialogue from elsewhere in the film.

The second is stunning to look at but is there is less going on under the surface to me. The Oshii philosophical wank was out of control here as well where I felt the first was interesting.
>>
this shitty thing
>>
Terminator 'flicks'
>>
>>63622790
First one's a film though. Second one is arguably a movie too. The rest are definitely flicks though, agree with you there senpai.
>>
File: the-gallows-movie-image-1.jpg (197 KB, 2220x1200) Image search: [Google]
the-gallows-movie-image-1.jpg
197 KB, 2220x1200
>>63619962
Probably nine or ten minutes into this piece of shit
<-- <-- <--
>>
Probably the opening rape scene in A Clockwork Orange.
>inb4 lighten up, inb4 but it's art, etc etc
I'm not even upset about rape in general, rape away guys, but it was late and I didn't want to see gross shit and it was kinda poorly shot too... couldn't be assed to sit through it.
>>
boyhood, when the coldplay song starts
>>
Her.

I dunno, the main guy looks like such a hipster homo, I can't get through it at all.
>>
>>63622756
Yeah the second one feels like it's a big nothing, but it's a very, very pretty and atmospheric nothing
I really love it but I would never deny that it has some massive problems
>>
>>63622949
the entire movie is basically hipsters suffering because of their hipster notions. If you hate hipsters, there's a lot you can read in
>>
>>63622471

Well I'm not sure if that particular instance was so much Christian symbolism.

It is a depiction of haeckel's tree of life, one of the earliest diagram of a phylogenetic tree. I think its more about the inevitability of extinction as all preceding life history (except "man") is shot up by the tank, suggesting our fate unless we someone transcends to a new form of cybernetic life.

Much of the puppet master dialogue is about basic evolutionary concepts and biological functions.

It's a safe bet the tank is itself an insect like symbol of simple or primitive life.

In the opening scene there is a faux fish tank / digital monitor with ceolocanths displayed swimming back and forth. Primitive Living fossils out what was considered to be their time, also probably some comment about nationalism being an obsolete world-view in that context.
>>
File: 36906862.jpg (807 KB, 1475x2400) Image search: [Google]
36906862.jpg
807 KB, 1475x2400
>>63621660
>Or the obvious Christian symbolism like the Tree of Life getting shot up at the end.
Firstly, the "Tree of Life"/the Sephirot are Kabbalistic or ancient Jewish. Nothing Christian about it. Secondly, it's an evolutionary family tree that gets shot up, because it's an abandoned natural history museum. Geddit? Biological evolution is a relic of the past, and it's demolished by a technological evolution.

Really, the spiritual references in Ghost in he Shell are limited to a vague idea of angels and souls, and the soundtrack being primarily comprised of a Shinto chant and that's it. There is, POSSIBLY, a reference to the alchemical hermaphrodite (which is the idea that a perfect human is one that's a balance of both male and female) with the Puppet Master taking a female body but is apparently "male" itself. But you don't need to bring spirituality into it to have it make sense. Even in a transhumanist world were biological sex is voided, there is something inherently split in our souls that require two things to unite to create something greater than the sum of it's parts.

But anyway, I think GitS is actually really coherent and well balanced. It strips back every assumption you might have about what makes you human; your flesh, your sex/gender, your emotion, your memories, your instinct, and asks what's left. Motoko's crisis is an expression of that theme and her rants never felt hammy to me.

>>63622756
Yeah, 2 on the other hand, really felt scattered and unfocused. It just felt like it was trying too hard. It outright quotes philosophers a few times rather than being philosophical itself. I got to the end and had no clue what it's point was. Which was a shame, because seeing how Batou handles his friend becoming some sort of god-like creature and just vanishing should have been more interesting.
>>
File: 1397005010677.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1397005010677.webm
2 MB, 640x480
Not a movie, but I made it about 10 minutes into the first episode of FLCL before I couldn't take that shit any fucking more.
I gave it another chance years later and loved it for all its zaniness.
>>
>>63620848
It nails what it was going for though.
>>
>>63623214
I just think the pacing was a bit wonky, and the dialogue was clunky at times. The latter is probably just a result of the translation.
>>
File: uv.jpg (1 MB, 3240x2175) Image search: [Google]
uv.jpg
1 MB, 3240x2175
ultraviolet was so fucking bad. I tried to make it through and turned it off maybe a quarter of the way in. I don't even understand how the got the funding to make a movie out of such a shitty script. Also BLOOM LMAO
>>
File: red spectacles.webm (2 MB, 672x368) Image search: [Google]
red spectacles.webm
2 MB, 672x368
>>63622373
it's more akin to stuff like talking head than the other kerberos films, but definitely worth seeing
>>
>>63623550
Such a based movie. I want Oshii to make more live-action stuff with no regard for what his audience or financiers will think. He's at his best when he's making pretty esoteric nonsense.
>>
I make a point to make sure I never turn off a movie. For the most part this is true but I do known one movie I turned off within 3 minutes.

I was flat out not in the mood for pic related and canceled that shit instantly.
>>
>>63619962
The only movie I have walked away from was Mulan 2, within the first five minutes with that fucking dragon having even less inspired quips than the original.
I plan on returning to it once I recollect myself.
>>
>>63622788
Same here. Friend kept saying how great and fantastic and amazing the film was, so I downloaded it. Made it about twenty minutes, was just not engaged in the least.
>>
File: Irreversible_soundtrack.jpg (58 KB, 336x336) Image search: [Google]
Irreversible_soundtrack.jpg
58 KB, 336x336
>>63623757
Should revisit when you're in the mood. It's a pretty good film.

Had a similar experience with pic. Watched again another time and realized the error of my ways.
>>
File: splooge.png (528 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
splooge.png
528 KB, 960x540
3 minutes

not my style
>>
File: 1449871124052.png (141 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1449871124052.png
141 KB, 500x364
>>63623981
Did you try to watch it without seeing the series first? Because if so that's your problem.
>>
>>63623214

Ah nice, the identity deconstruction is an interesting way to summarise it.

There is so much going on to me. Like that Shinto chant being a marriage denoting the fusion of man and machine.

Numerous other themes like the constant confusion of real and simulated or digital sensory information, self destruction and rebirth, dopplegangers, reflected images and so on all weaving through it.

Even the naked thermoptic camouflage is thematically relevant as she visually fuses into the background in the opener as in the blinding city/sea of information mentioned later. Shortly after she awakes in silhouette against the brightness of Hong Kong serving the same metaphor.
>>
The last movie I turned off was the Bling Ring. About 2/3s in when I realized there is going to be no character development and the fact that water delivery was a fucking thing.
>>
>>63622447
>Stray Dog
This movie is criminally underwatched.
>>
>>63623316
In a moment of weakness, I torrented K-On to see what years of shitposting was about. I couldn't finish the first episode.
>>
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Rob Zombie really sucks
>>
>>63622724
even the seventh seal?
>>
Cremaster 4. About ten seconds.
>>
File: Dark_knight_rises_poster.jpg (67 KB, 290x430) Image search: [Google]
Dark_knight_rises_poster.jpg
67 KB, 290x430
why would they kill off the protagonist 10 minutes in
>>
I usually just fall asleep. It's happened a lot recently.
>>
I have yet to finish Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. As soon as I see Kate Winslet with her faggy hair and WEIRD WACKY PERSONALITY, I get turned off and tell myself I'll finish it another time.

Attempt #4 was about a month ago.
>>
>>63620779
Yeah, I can never stop. I've fallen asleep in a theater before (Syriana, Ultraviolet, a few more), but I've never left and I've never turned anything off. Maybe the sleeping counts as leaving.
>>
I stopped some with the intent of watching it later. The only one I really dropped was The Tree of Life.
>>
>>63623214
Came to post this, thanks anon.
I originally thought it was the Tree of Gnosis
>Christian symbolism
All my keks.
>>
File: bart_46.jpg (29 KB, 331x432) Image search: [Google]
bart_46.jpg
29 KB, 331x432
Trainwreck

I've never seen any of Amy Schumer's comedy and the trailer seemed funny so I thought I'd give it a watch. I couldn't even make it 5 minutes it was so terrible.
>>
>>63619962
about 1 second maybe... I decided I didn't feel like watching anything.
>>
>>63620949
Why did you stop watching it pussy? Scared you are gonna go back into your shitty habits?
>>
File: leviathan.jpg (49 KB, 746x314) Image search: [Google]
leviathan.jpg
49 KB, 746x314
I didn't exactly turn it off but, I kept skimming through because I thought it was gonna be a giant sea monster movie and it turned out to be some kind of statement film about commercial fishing boats being the actual leviathans. It's like 90 minutes of ocean sounds and fish guts
>>
>>63621660
I agree Oshii went to far and lost his touch in GitS2, but Patlabor 2 was absolute perfection. You also say he is subpar on character development which might be true in some films, but in the patlabor films he did a great job of it.
>>
>>63625939
I guess you could say it was quite a bit of a trainwreck, huh anon?
>>
>>63621660
>Angel's Egg
Apparently I'm watching this now.
>>
>>63621089
shit taste
>>
>>63619962
20 minutes. Midnight in Paris.
>>
>>63620947
>implying people aren't autistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLdxIvyWY2k
>>
A Scanner Darkly

it was just irritating for my eyes, couldn't bother waiting if there was a plot
>>
>>63627270
I liked it. I didn't completely understand it, but I liked it.
>>
3 minutes into San Fucking Andreas
>>
File: The_Ridiculous_6_poster.jpg (46 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
The_Ridiculous_6_poster.jpg
46 KB, 300x444
about 5 minutes into this
>>
10 mins in or something like that.
>>
2 minutes into 2001. I realized it was a reddit movie so i quickly deleted it off my hardrive so i wouldnt turn into a redditor.
>>
>Be a year ago
>chilling with roommate and gf
>all high as balls
>gf wants to watch a hardcore horror film, something different
>tell her how brutal I've heard Antichrist is
>First shot (that I remember) slow motion, black and white, full penis in vagina penetration
>all of us waaaaaaaay too high for that
>turn it off
>they start questioning my sanity.
>I didn't know
>>
>>63630442
You a funny dude, you should start doing stand-up
>>
>>63630682
me and my roommates did the same thing, only we were all drunk. we ended up watching grave encounters which was pretty shit
>>
>>63623757
>>63623905
Yes, π is a good movie, but Aronofsky is off the charts Jewish. Very dangerous!
>>
>>63621660
>>63622756
>>63623188
>>63623214
>>63624073

For what I was expecting to be a crappy bait thread this is actually quite a good discussion.

I certainly agree that GitS is carried by its visuals, in fact I'd maintain the position that it is one of the most aesthetic(-ly) important movies for the 21st century for helping to bring forward the clacking, noisey green DOS command line aesthetic and its influence it has had on how people have perceived computers, hacking and the every growing cyberization of our world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsIQ_kA77b4
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.