[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was anyone predicting that Vader was Luke's father before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
Was anyone predicting that Vader was Luke's father before Empire came out?
>>
>>63617364
As someone born in '91
I can definitely say, I'm not sure
>>
>>63617364
people had no way of communicating the way we do now. some might have, but they were isolated in a small world, unable to voice their opinions.
>>
File: Splinter-of-the-Minds-Eye.jpg (418 KB, 917x1598) Image search: [Google]
Splinter-of-the-Minds-Eye.jpg
418 KB, 917x1598
>>63617364
no. definitely not. check the novelizations that were published after the first movie.
>>
I knew Vader was Luke's dad when I was a kid when my dad got me and my siblings to watch it. I think we must have watched one a night for three nights at some point, because I remember going to bed and telling my brother and sister Vader was Luke's dad but they didn't believe me. I think I must have been some kind of autist.
>>
I did.
>>
>>63617364
Even Lucas didn't know
>>
>>63617364
OP, you're forgetting that IV-VI came out first so everyone already knew whenever the story started from the beginning
>>
Probably not, since they made that shit as they went along. Do you think Leia being Luke's sister was planned from the beginning?
>>
>>63618912
>>63619066
This.
Always felt like a last minute decision to me.
As in, he came up with this crazy idea while editing and everybody went along with it because why not.
>>
>>63618912
Was that part of his poetry plan?
>>
my mom
>>
>>63617364
Yes, because Vader literally means father in Dutch.
>>
>>63617364
imagine a bigbad with a big deep voice almost like a nigger to be a white father

ofcourse not that was a big asspull
>>
>>63619217
It literally doesn't.
>>
>>63617364
No, since that fact was established during the writing of ESB. All promotional material before that said Vader killed Anakin, and that was the original intent. Technically, Vader being Anakin is a retcon, which is why it was shocking and unpredictable, everyone was mislead.
>>
>>63617364
No, they didn't even know that it was going to be a success. Lucas went to chill with Spielberg and came with Indiana Jones since he thought SW was going to be a flop.

https://youtu.be/FSuDjjlIPak?t=2718
>>
>>63619266
It literally does, dough.
>>
>>63619358
You don't even speak german faggot. Go fire up your google translator and fuck off.
>>
>>63619409
Dutch is a dialect of German you illiterate faggot. In Dutch its written Vader and pronounced fader and in German its vater and pronounced fater.
>>
OH MY FUCKING GOD SPOILERS YOU PIECE OF SHIT SOME OF US HAVEN'T SEEN THESE FILMS
>>
>>63619296
>Darth Father
>shocking and unpredictable
>>
>>63619130
Apparently they hadn't even decided it when they filmed the scene. Prowse was told he was informing Luke that Obi-Wan had killed his father, and the line was changed when James Earl Jones recorded Vader's voice.

Prowse was hella mad about it.
>>
>>63619658
weak b8 m8
>>
>>63617364
>Was anyone predicting that Vader was Luke's father before Empire came out?

Nope.

That, and the sister shit was just stupid.
>>
>>63619296
>everyone was mislead
from a certain point of view
>>
>>63618864
you still are
>>
>>63617364
Prowse spoiled it himself in a newspaper article that came out shortly after the original Star Wars. There's an image of it out there somewhere.
>>
>>63617364
Prowse spoiled it before ESB

http://www.retroist.com/2010/11/08/1978-style-star-wars-spoilers/
>>
>>63619931
Prowse didn't know and that article is bullshit.
>>
>>63619951
>>63619951
It was a joke. Lucas admitted he didn't make Anakin and Vader one character until the wrote ESB.
>>
>>63620003
>>63619961
Cite on this being bullshit?
>>
File: Star-Wars-Article1.jpg (370 KB, 1000x1410) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-Article1.jpg
370 KB, 1000x1410
>>63619961
>>63620003
>>
>>63617364
no. I saw the original star wars as a kid. No one ever speculated that Vader was Luke's father or anything like that.
The general question people asked was "what does Darth Vader's face look like?" That was the only thing mysterious about him.

The original movie basically gave you all you needed to know about the character: he was a Judas or Mordred figure that helped destroy the Jedi. That's all. The father thing made a nice twist to the second film, but it wasn't part of an original plan or anything.
>>
>>63617364
I'm sure there were some, but without the internet, there was really no way to spoil it outside your social circles.

Proto-/tv/ in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg_0Smmvwbw
>>
>>63620129
Goddammit, Prowse.
>>
>>63620080
The articel isn't bullshit, but it was a joke.

Look up Secret History of Star Wars, or look for drafts of ESB, it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th when Lucas combined Vader and Anakin into one character.
>>
>>63618855
that title sounds cool as fuck
>>
Why did Sheev put Anakin in clunky Darth Vader suit instead of something similar to Grevious body armor?
>>
>>63620346
The books sucks apparently.
>>
>>63620378
Grievous lost a lot more of his body. Grievous was more or less mostly a droid body that housed some internal organs and his head. Like the new Robocop.

Vader was still a lot more whole.
>>
>>63620378
Because when Vader was created we didn't have CGI. Lucas had access to CGI when he was making the prequels, and gave no fucks about universe consistency.
>>
>>63620461
>Him being LESS fucked up made for clunkier replacements.

Then why not just hack him up some more?
>>
>>63620550
His ability to use the force would be diminished even more.
>>
File: vader.jpg (81 KB, 1161x747) Image search: [Google]
vader.jpg
81 KB, 1161x747
>long dead character
>connected to main character whose face is never seen onscreen

If it wasn't planned it's at least a really fortuitous coincidence that Darth Vader was such a specter in-universe, nobody seemed to know anything about the fuckin' guy.
>>
>>63620550
lose force power the more youre fucked up
>>
>>63619713
They told Prowse that because he couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut, and was always spoiling shit.
>>
>>63619889
kek
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.