[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Trek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: The Cage.jpg (149 KB, 1434x1079) Image search: [Google]
The Cage.jpg
149 KB, 1434x1079
Why did TOS have so much better backdrops than any other Trek series? Did they forget how to make them? Did they have a smaller budget?

Also, Trek thread, same rules apply, no redditors OR casuals
>>
File: noel3.jpg (38 KB, 390x884) Image search: [Google]
noel3.jpg
38 KB, 390x884
Also, why are TOS girls the hottest?
>>
>>63607243
I like these new rules, it should keep us from having another shit 120-person thread.

I think the problem is that TNG just got lazy with them. When they actually used matte paintings things looked really good, but most of the time every planet was literally paper-mache rockets and a colored scrim hung in the background.
>>
>>63607898
It was a time before sexism, when women were still viewed as the objects they are.
>>
>>63608212
>TNG
OP said no Redditors or Casuals.
>>
>>63608378
OP specifically asked about TOS versus the other series, the first of which was TNG. What, do you want me to comment on ENT?
>>
>>63608424
Yes.
>>
not counting the movies tos has the worst matte paintings
>>
File: Klingon-Homeworld.jpg (305 KB, 2086x1116) Image search: [Google]
Klingon-Homeworld.jpg
305 KB, 2086x1116
I can't even remember TNG or DS9 using backdrops. Just ugly colored gradient lighting and dirt on a stage floor.

Well, except for the Klingon homeworld. That was cool.
>>
>>63608537
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Matte_painting
>>
File: the_hunted_hd_003.jpg (426 KB, 1438x1080) Image search: [Google]
the_hunted_hd_003.jpg
426 KB, 1438x1080
>>63608537
The only other one I remember was the world from The Hunted, and then a certain city of white buildings which I am 99% sure got reused for a random planet in Voyager.
It would make sense that DS9 rarely had backdrops
>>
>>63608924
Found the white city. Apparently it was used on DS9, VOY, and TNG multiple times.
>>
>>63609101
>>63608754
>>
>>63609288
Yes, that is where I found it
>>
File: Ressik_on_Kataan_HD.jpg (249 KB, 1453x1088) Image search: [Google]
Ressik_on_Kataan_HD.jpg
249 KB, 1453x1088
Oh god, the feels are coming back

You know, I didn't think about it before, but rethinking it now this episode wasn't just stand out only because of the writing - or acting, on Stewart's part. The fact that the city felt much fuller and more real than most Star Trek planetsides helped a lot too. Little things like plausible but still alien architecture that actually looks nice go a long way.
>>
>>63609672
I think this was the only TV episode I have ever seen that brought tears to my eyes. A shame they never really explored a lasting psychological effect this had on Picard.
Ditto the Doctor in Blink of an Eye. He is with the aliens in that episode for 3 years, having a wife and kid, and when he returns he barely gives a shit.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.