[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A whole new trilogy? So what about the Blomkamp alien which,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19
A whole new trilogy? So what about the Blomkamp alien which, they recently confirmed, will happen eventually. Will they make it between Alien Covenant and its sequel? Fox is going all out with this Alien Cinematic Universe. I just want a sequel to Aliens. Sorry Scott, you ruined Space Jockeys.
>>
If they can keep political and religious messages out of it and just make a serious sci-fi out of it, that would be nice.
>>
>>63605294
Scott described himself as an agnostic looking for answer so I doubt it.
>>
Sources

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alien-michael-biehn-neill-blomkamps-843708

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/635627-neill-blomkamps-delayed-alien-5-would-focus-on-an-older-newt
>>
File: 1426529980002.jpg (26 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
1426529980002.jpg
26 KB, 400x449
I just wanted a sequel with Shaw.
>>
>>63605959

Sequel will feature David, not Shaw. Even two Davids.

Guess Scott leanred his lesson, considering he was the ebst thing in Prometheus.
>>
File: aliens-derelict-0894.png (206 KB, 556x300) Image search: [Google]
aliens-derelict-0894.png
206 KB, 556x300
>>63605096

The Space Jockey from Alien will turn out to have been David. I betcha.

Also I understand that Blomkamps Aliens 2 is delayed until after the Prometheus sequels/Alien prequel trilogy.

I'm happy about a follow up but fuck Blomkamp for trying to retcon Alien 3.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (157 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
157 KB, 1200x794
>>63607017
Alien^3 was shit though.
>>
>>63607017
Well we don't know if they delay it until Alien Covenant or the whole trilogy. I'd say only Covenant since Blomkamp's sequel was in a pretty advanced pre-production stage. I mean it's not like Scott has the final word. I'm pretty sure Fox would like to create a new cinematic universe so I think Blomkamp will be next just to show something different. And Weaver and Biehn don't get any younger.
>>
>>63605294
>le im too autistic to listen to something with slight religious overtones
>mom halp
>>
>>63607093
It's bad as a sequel to Aliens. I mean I liked some of the choices they made but at the same time it's clear it was a troubled production.

So if Blomkamp's movie gets made it's going to ignore that but the whole franchise is like that. People were always ignoring either Alien 3 or Alien Ressurection. Then this shit became official when Prometheus ignored AVP. It's a choose your own adventure franchise.
>>
>>63607190
I love how you guys exaggerate every expressed preference.
>>
>>63607122
>Well we don't know if they delay it until Alien Covenant or the whole trilogy. I'd say only Covenant since Blomkamp's sequel was in a pretty advanced pre-production stage.

I did read that the script was already done and going through the rewrites.

I really, really, really hope Alien 3 is not affected. I don't give a fuck about Resurrection (who actually does?) but Alien 3 is great in my opinion.
>>
>>63607017
>Also I understand that Blomkamps Aliens 2 is delayed until after the Prometheus sequels/Alien prequel trilogy

Damn, how old is Sigourney going to be...
>>
>>63607287
>It's bad as a sequel to Aliens
So bad. I've still watched it many times, though. The actors are all great, the alien is threatening, and the atmosphere is pretty much perfect. For some reason they just had to spoil the triple climax of Aliens.
>>
>>63605096
What went so wrong with this franchise?

Not even fucking Ridley Scott could save it, and it's becoming such a clusterfuck.
>Alien 3 is shallow copy of Alien 1 but without symbolism or proper pacing and atmosphere
>Alien Resurrection is an actionized, quip-filled shitbag with a semi-comical tone to it
>Prometheus ruined the lore by the director who invented the lore and had dumb characters
Alien and Aliens are some of my favorite movies, but goddamn
>>
>>63606027
Uh, where did you hear they'd be no Shaw?? If this some new development? Because everything I've seen has her & David still in the engineer ship.
>>
>>63607637
There will be a new crew and Scott is only mentioning David in interviews.
>>
>>63607590
The Assembly cut of Alien cubed is watchable but it still suffers from Cameron killing any mystery the xenomorph had.
>>
>>63607769
Cameron didn't show anything about the origin of Aliens or anything. Just expanded everything they already knew about the creature so for example they showed anatomical details of the facehugger. Things that were there from the very beginning but couldn't be shown in the first movie.
And any fraction of the "lost mystery" would be totally worth it anyway because Aliens is great.
>>
>>63607590
>What went so wrong

It should've never been a franchise in the first place.
>>
>>63608299
This
>>63607989
He turned Giger's amazingly creepy and otherworldly rape monster into a giant wasp nest. The action atmosphere also killed the sense of Lovecraftian cosmic dread that the first movie built up so well. Aliens is a great movie, don't get me wrong, but it has nothing in common with Alien and should have been its own thing with a new monster instead of awkwardly attaching it to the Alien brand name
>>
File: blu-52.jpg (420 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
blu-52.jpg
420 KB, 1920x1080
Why did they change the look of the ship?
>>
>>63607093
I liked alien 3 more than aliens because of how depressing the movie was and it was back to being a horror slasher rather than action shlock.

Fight me.
>>
File: Alien-xenomorph.jpg (183 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
Alien-xenomorph.jpg
183 KB, 1200x803
Ridley Scott gets way too much credit for Alien. He had barely any creative input. He just pieced together other peoples work. Don't get me wrong, that's exactly the point of being a director, but he keeps being regarded like he invented the lore.
>>
>>63608763
That's a big pussy
>>
>>63608543
Aliens is the logical sequel to make. I can just imagine how bad the series might have been if it stayed within reach of the slasher genre. You can't keep a monster scary for very long, but it can always be threatening; that's why an action sci-fi was the best choice for a sequel.
>>
>>63608909
Alien would have been shit in the hands of another director.
>>
>>63608909
Directors getting too much credit for a project and then returning to it later with greater creative control and ruining it seems to happen to a lot of franchises. Star Wars, LotR, Alien....
>>
File: alien31.jpg (4 MB, 1856x1267) Image search: [Google]
alien31.jpg
4 MB, 1856x1267
>>63608845
>I liked alien 3 more than aliens because of how depressing the movie was and it was back to being a horror slasher rather than action shlock.

This.

I fucking love the way Alien 3 immediately destroys the hope from the end of Aliens. It fits in well with the depressing and isolated theme of the series. An 'Aliens 2' would have just been a predictable, cliched escalation of what we've seen before.

It's amazing that such a decent film came out of the disasterous production. If I was an artsy fanny I'd probably say there was something poetic and fitting about that too.

It was a perfect end to the Ripley story arc.
>>
Covenant will suck as much a s Prometheus.

Fans will uproar at the idea of more of these movies when Blomkamp has been set aside for God knows how long.

Scott will start saying "oh I never planned to make a trilogy", and the next movie will be Blomkamp directing and Scott producing.
>>
>>63608909
That's why I have no problems with ignoring Prometheus. Space Jockeys are still mysterious to me because I know they weren't supposed to be bland albino humanoids. So to me it's still just Alien and Aliens. I'm waiting for Blomkamp's movie but it's gonna take a while.
>>
>>63608953
no, Prometheus was the logical sequel(or prequel, whatever) to make. It ended up being a clusterfuck, but in theory it was the right direction to go in
>>
>>63609023
>>
File: dead baby cig.jpg (105 KB, 800x796) Image search: [Google]
dead baby cig.jpg
105 KB, 800x796
>>63609060
Nuh-uh, fag.
>>
>>63607637
>>63607721
I'm not sure that proves anything, but I thought Shaw was a pretty boring character; would have been nice if Vickers had survived and hadn't burnt coal before she did, then you can throw in the emotional drama story of her evolution from cold corporate woman to standard psychotic female.
>>
>>63609078

Who's Steven King?
>>
>>63607989
>>63608543
>>63608845
>>63608953
>>63609022
I rewatched Aliens again and I'm surprised that there wasn't as much action as I remember

The first half of the movie has almost no monsters show up except for a brief shot of a facehugger, and then the surviving marines hold up in a large room for the remaining 1/4th of the movie

The whole ambush scene actually lasts for about less than 5 minutes with no real action because Ripley told them "safety on in the giant oil tank"and the most actionized part of the movie is the 5 minute fight between Ripley and the Queen at the end

That said, the movie was very tense and had a strong atmosphere with a slower pace and really good SFX and I still think the dynamic between Ripley and Newt was pretty cool.

I know that Aliens gets demonized for having action, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Am I missing something? Is it because of the marines on-screen presence or use of weapons?
>>
File: 5kBDMWY.jpg (194 KB, 808x1200) Image search: [Google]
5kBDMWY.jpg
194 KB, 808x1200
>ywf BlomkAlien is at least 8/10 movie because Scott and 20th Century Fox in general limit Blomkamp's questionable decisions while still allowing him certain creative control

I'm careful not to have to high expectations but I waited a long time for this. Alien 3 was ok but the ending of Aliens promised a lot more.
>>
>>63609060
Yes, I remember being hyped as fuck. Prometheus seemed like a return to form and Alien already had such an extensive lore behind it. Too bad Lindelof was involved and some of the concepts were utterly ruined

>>63609144
inb4 banhammer
>>
File: aliens-marines037432344.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
aliens-marines037432344.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>63609281
>I rewatched Aliens again and I'm surprised that there wasn't as much action as I remember

I've said this dozens of times on here. Aliens is classed as an action film but there's actually very little action in it. There's only like 3 or 4 scenes. I think it's just because those scenes are very memorable. It's over an hour into the film before anything involving aliens or action happens.
I'd personally say it's a horror film with a couple of shooting bits.
>>
>>63605294
Don't make us look bad you asshole. Don't pour anymore gas on the fedora-fire.
>>
>>63609281
Compared to modern action films it doesn't have much action, but it has all the important stuff, like context, that makes the action really engaging.
>>
>>63609318
>>ywf BlomkAlien is at least 8/10 movie because Scott and 20th Century Fox in general limit Blomkamp's questionable decisions while still allowing him certain creative control

Could that be a perfect balance? Like the other two cancelling out the bad ideas of the third. Like a triangle of creative excellence.
>>
>>63606027
I think Shaw is confirmed for Alien:Covenant.
>>
>>63609281
That's the thing. Especially in the Director's Cut. We have to wait 1 hour and 14 minutes for Vasquez to open fire but the build up isn't boring at all and almost every line is memorable. But the time they start dying we know the characters really well and those who survive only benefit from it because we get to know even more about them.
The pacing is great without being too long. Modern blockbusters seem so bloated and tiring but this one is actually rewarding. I feel it especially in the scene where Ripley prepares to rescue Newt, Hicks is wounded etc. It's like wow we've gone through a lot to get to this moment from the begining of the movie but here we are. And it's before we even see the Queen.

They don't make them like this anyomore.
>>
>>63609436
>I think Shaw is confirmed for Alien:Covenant.

For a small part apparently. The main is going to be two David's.
>>
>>63609318
I accidently your wace fhen. Anyway we'll have to wait until 2019 at least.
>>
>>63605294

Science fiction without any depth to it is "LE LASARS PRAISE EMPRAH" shit
>>
As long as Juno Temple plays Newt
>>
>>63609444
>But the time they start dying we know the characters really well and those who survive only benefit from it because we get to know even more about them.

I read somewhere that Aliens was used in film schools as the model example of character development. It's so well done.
>>
>>63605294
>keep religious and political messages out
>"covenant" in the title

Ah, so this is how retarded atheists are.
>>
>>63609489
And the aliens do lewd, gooey things to her
>>
>>63609281
The reason Aliens gets demonized by fans of the original is because it's a completely different take on the idea, while ironically being almost the exact same movie if you watch director's cuts.

It doesn't have much action by today's standards but it is still very clearly an action movie. The whole thing just screams 80s action.

It's not a bad movie but depending on which you prefer, action or horror, there is a clear divide between fans.

I agree with anon who said Alien 3 is better than Aliens, despite some of its (fatal) flaws its a very good depressing horror movie.
>>
>>63609550
Seriously, imagine Juno Temple playing Newt as though she just woke up from a broken stasis chamber, having aged but still having the mind of a young girl.
>>
File: alien-queen1154194.png (442 KB, 847x455) Image search: [Google]
alien-queen1154194.png
442 KB, 847x455
The best thing for Alien films would be to keep the backstory as the backstory. The absolutely dogshit attempts to follow Terminator 2 went down the road of bringing background to the forefront as the main plot and it just completely fucks up the franchise beyond control.
>>
>>63609482
>religion
>I can't figure something out; I guess god did it
>depth
Kill yourself.
>>
>>63609611
Shit I really want someone to ask Scott or anyone who knows something if they're making the whole trilogy first or maybe they're gonna let Blomkamp make his movie after Convenant.
People say Blomkamp isn't very good. I don't I've only seen District 9 so I don't know what's his problem. If it's because he's too preachy then I'm sure Fox will make sure to avoid controversies. I'm just happy we may see alternative sequel to Aliens. I know some people like Alien 3 because it's so depressing but whether or not it happened because of all the troubles on set and with the script, it just looks clumsy. At least kill the survivors midway throught the movie or something. The fact that there was one more egg doesn't make any sense anyway.
>>
>>63609749

You said religious or political depth. Which wouuld literally make it boring shit like 40k
>>
>>63609805

The best solution is to set Aliens 2 after Aliens and before Alien 3 and somehow explain Ripley looking younger. Which in sci-fi is easy. Skin graft after terrible burns or something.
>>
File: 1448728116451.jpg (39 KB, 271x304) Image search: [Google]
1448728116451.jpg
39 KB, 271x304
>>63609611
She will probably end up becoming the new Ripley (gotta milk that cash cow) and fight an alien "king" or a racist and corrupted Weyland Yutani executive who injected himself with the black goo while wearing a power armor.
>>
>>63609887
It's funny cuz they could also just CGI her up too
>tfw digital actresses could be a real thing in your lifetime
>>
>>63609887
That would require some serious timeline gymnastics. I doubt they would care to do it for Alien 3 and Alien:Resurrection.

There's a whole generation of people upset because of Alien 3 and now they have their revenge. Michael Biehn hoped it would be his big chance. No wonder he's so eager to return I mean according to the official canon Aliens Colonial Marines happenes and Hicks is alive. Of course everybody has their own canon.
The franchise is a mess.
>>
>>63609078
If it was just one extremely good sci-fi horror movie, that would be very fitting and the right direction to go. But considering the fact that it went on for so long with so many movies, I think the whole existentialistic mystery where you explore the horrors of realising that your literall god hates you, his own creation, is pretty good actually. It raises some pretty interesting questions and ideas that can be explored in a more grandiously scary way than the claustrophobic horrors of Alien.
Now, Prometheus didn't deliver perfectly on these ideas and it was sort of a surprise, but it was good enough to convince me of giving Ridley another chance.
>>
>>63608942
I imagine that's the point.
>>
>>63609451
I think it's going to be sort of a mystery-twist, with the new crew (with the new David) finding this old broken David on this far away apperantly desolate, completely dead planet, him giving them some vague, inconsistante backstory. Then ofcourse mystirious deadly accidents occours, with everyone feeling the sensation of being hunted and watched, while the main dialogue is focused on the two Davids discussing their views on human nature, free will and their own sentience, the old David leading the new David to the discovery that even though the humans made him he is not their slave. Everyone grows extremely tired with Davids explanations and their state of being in constant perile and starts pressuring old David about the truth, leading up to the reveal of Shaw in the last act, with the finale focusing on what she's been trying to acomplish here, some new facts and backstories about the engineers, a final tension filled battle with a xenomorphe and the two Davids starting an uprising against the humans or some shit.
>>
Alien should never have been more but a single movie.

Fucking nerds having to turn everything into a franchise

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 245.jpg (39 KB, 1333x900) Image search: [Google]
245.jpg
39 KB, 1333x900
>>63610821
THIS RIGHT FUCKING HERE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RE
RE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: fag.png (21 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
fag.png
21 KB, 120x120
>>63610821
>>63611798

b-but muh queen, muh marines, muh newt
>>
File: lelaughinggrunts.jpg (12 KB, 385x278) Image search: [Google]
lelaughinggrunts.jpg
12 KB, 385x278
>>63610821
>>63611798
>>63612307
Holy fuck.
>>
>>63611798
>>63612307
Seriously the movie was perfect.

The best thing about a mystery is that it keeps you guessing. You wonder how that alien ship landed there. You wonder what that big alien is. You wonder where the xenomorph came from.
Ripley was just a normal worker that only barely managed to survive. We assume she gets rescued and that's it.

But now all these sequels retroactivly ruin the movie.

Instead of being a mystery it's now "Ripley begins". Thanks to pop-culture impact anyone who will watch Alien for the first time is likely to have seen the xenomorph before and even worse watched the sequel. So all the effort that was put into only showing a bit of the xenomorph until the end is wasted. Thanks to the sequels you will know what that spaceship was, what that alien inside it was and how it ended up there. It ruins everything.

Fuck.
>>
>>63609749
What's your favorite book?
>>
>>63612648
As butthurt as this post is I agree about those being reasons why Alien was incredible. Valid as those points may be, they only "ruin" Alien if you let them.
>>
>>63607339
You opinion is wrong
>>
File: marek-okon-under-control-1920.jpg (282 KB, 1920x912) Image search: [Google]
marek-okon-under-control-1920.jpg
282 KB, 1920x912
>>63612648
I really wish they had the balls to make an Alien movie without Ripley.

I mean, I guess since this new one now has Alien in the title, it is that, but it's a Prometheus sequel, not an Alien movie, in my eyes.
>>
>>63614028

As nice as that image is, it plays on the xenomorphs = space raptors trait that was created from Aliens.

They were scarier as creepy space rapists.
>>
>>63610821
This. Yeah ok Aliens wasn't half bad (nothing exceptional), but it paved the road for a shitload of awful sequels/prequels/spin-offs.
>>
File: 1447294080448.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447294080448.jpg
263 KB, 1920x1080
>ayyy lmaos introduced to a fairly populous planet
>movie revolves around complete disintegration of planet's populace and breakdown of order
>millions of ayyy lmaos throwing themselves against massive fortifications
>survivors are forced to be hunted through the wreckage
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.