[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am i the only one who didnt know what the fuck was going on in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: macbeth-2015.jpg (138 KB, 936x1404) Image search: [Google]
macbeth-2015.jpg
138 KB, 936x1404
Am i the only one who didnt know what the fuck was going on in this film? I know its in Shakespearean but fuck was the dialogue hard to follow
>>
File: coriolanus-poster.jpg (422 KB, 800x603) Image search: [Google]
coriolanus-poster.jpg
422 KB, 800x603
Did not see but this was also a pain in the ass to follow. Shakespeare adaptations require repeat viewings.
>>
>Movie received a 10 minute standing ovation a the Cannes film festival

first time in my life i felt too stupid for a film
>>
>>63604657
The faggots who flock to Cannes would give a short film about a dog turd a standing ovation if they thought it was deep.
>>
>>63604552
the story of macbeth is pretty basic, and it gets taught in high school english/drama classes, since it's one of shakespeares most linear plays-
the beginning foreshadows the end.

you must either be poorly educated, stupid, ignorant, or all three.
>>
>>63604552
haha yep that's me alright that's how I felt yeah meme yeah haha woo hooo wooooo super fucking meme kid that was literally awesome I mean it could have been a little better but I came anyway if you know what I mean or should I say if you know what I meme kid if you know what I'm saying oh this is good this reminds me of the good old days when I could just meme in the toilet instead of using the shitty meme creme meme-frole is what they called it I think but anyway I digress great meme kid keep it up this sort of dogshit gives me a real good jumble when I'm down
>>
>>63604734
>taught in high school english/drama classes
You mean american high school classes. And anyway that isnt the point, a movie shouldnt require you to read the book (or in this case, play) in order to understand it, my education or ignorance should have nothing to do with me understanding this movies story, which i didnt.
>>
>>63604552
Tell me about it, because I'm not even a native English speaker. I wish they had relied more on the cinematic means, on the visuals and non-verbal sounds to channel Shakespear. There were too many words thrown at me. If I wanted that, I would have stayed home an read the play.
>>
>>63604715
Right, they probably didn't get it either
>>
>>63604973
>You mean american high school classes

We did it at secondary school in the UK
>>
>>63605204
this, I studied Shakespeare every year of secondary school
>>
I hated this flick. And everyone in my screening group (a group consisting entirely of teachers, many of them who taught Shakespeare in their classes) hated it to. The absolute only things I enjoyed were Fassbender's look, the burning of the woods, and the orange snow.
>>
>>63605255
it really didn't work very well. it was directed like a music video and had very little energy.
>>
>>63605204
never studied it in New zealend
>>
>>63605235
>this
kill yourself pls
>>
>>63604734
>>63604973
Shakespeare is widely taught everywhere, I thought. My parents went to school in the USSR and even they read the core Shakespeare (including Macbeth).
>>
>>63605308
Energy! Exactly. It was lacking completely in energy. I'm a huge Shakespeare buff and Macbeth is my favorite play. It's his shortest and fastest, with the entire thing building up quickly. Even with this being a relatively short movie, it just trudged through.
>>
>>63604973
Don't blame anon, he had a public school teacher that read the CliffNotes and gave everyone an A if they spelled the character names right.
>>
Just finished reading Macbeth so it's really fresh in my mind so I hope I'll be able to follow it. Probably my favorite play of his
>>
>>63604973
Movies shouldn't be required to dumb down their content for the uneducated
>>
>>63605536
There's a difference between uneducated and ignorant, I shouldn't have to read the source material to understand the movie, because that's what you're implying, A movie is made to tell the story in a different medium with its own legs and not rely on its source.
>>
File: original.gif (4 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
4 MB, 640x360
>>63604552
>>63604608
>>63605126
>you share /tv/ with these people
>>
>>63605852
Some of us can understand the dialogue fine. This version of Macbeth is heavily cut already.
>>
>>63606686
>Some of us can understand the dialogue fine..
Exactly, you can because you've read Shakespeare.
>>
>>63604552
OP wants the dialogue re-written.

LADY MACBETH: Hey babe, what's up?
MACBETH: These fucking witches told me I was gonna be king.
LADY MACBETH: Duuuude. I knew it. You have to kill that motherfucker, Duncan.
MACBETH: Gee, I dunno.
LADY MACBETH: Oh, for fuck's sake, don't be such a pussy...

And so on...
>>
>>63607069
Well, I've mostly been to a lot of plays.
>>
>>63607069
>588x453
>see a Shakespearean film.
>complain that I can't understand it because Shakespeare

You're a fucking dimbulb, dude.
>>
>>63607239
By this logic I can't understand The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo either because the book is in swedish and i dont speak swedish
>>
>>63607114
MACBETH: Life's like a load of bullshit. Like a guy who don't know what the fuck he's doing. Also it's straight retarded.
>>
This movie would definitely be better with updated dialogue.
>>
>>63607406
Fuck off.

>She should have died hereafter;
>There would have been a time for such a word.
>— To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
>Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
>To the last syllable of recorded time;
>And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
>The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
>Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
>That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
>And then is heard no more. It is a tale
>Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
>Signifying nothing.

Can't beat that.
>>
>>63607474
Yes you can. Quality is something written well and I can understand what the fuck they are saying.
>>
>>63607474
I got that part, that part was beautiful

Its dialogue like this, which throws me off

>Did then adhere, and yet you would make both:
>They have made themselves, and that their fitness now
>Does unmake you. I have given suck, and know
>How tender 'tis to love the babe that milks me:
>I would, while it was smiling in my face,
>Have pluck'd my nipple from his boneless gums,
>And dash'd the brains out, had I so sworn as you
>>
>>63607546
That is written well, you dim twat.
>>
File: doge-mask_1.jpg (70 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
doge-mask_1.jpg
70 KB, 600x500
>>63607474
translate pls
>>
>>63607628
Stick to Tarantino is all I'll say.
>>
>>63607628
Oh, for fuck's sake - she's giving him shit for wanting to back out of the murder, and saying that she would have smashed her own baby's head against the wall if she had sworn an oath to do so.
>>
>>63607883
>>63607883
Yes i can understand, reading it now. When im watchign a movie and this dialouge goes by fast, its hard to keep up
>>
>>63607634
But if I can't understand what's going on then it means shit all.
>>
>>63607924
Yeah, but that's YOUR problem
>>
>>63607944
Not really. The characters are practically speaking another language. The movie would be as enjoyable as watching say a movie in french without subtitles.
>>
>>63608031
If you don't speak french then it is your own fault. They were hardly hiding the fact that the movie wouldn't have a subtitle track so the low IQ viewers could follow along. Why would you even assume that they'd provide one?
>>
>>63608031
a better example would actually be if you were learning french as a 2nd language and watched a french film without subtitles, yes you could understand it if you read it and had the time to process everything at your own pace, but not when people are speaking it fast and you have a story to follow whilst trying to translate everything.
>>
>>63608185
I refer you to the post above, but still, if the movie was said to be in english and then was in french, that would be another thing completely.
>>
>>63605204
And in Canada. Different play every year. Got Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of venice (dirty jews), Macbeth and King Lear. Enjoyed it so much I read Hamlet by myself. Educate yourselves.
>>
>>63604552
Pleb alert
Woop woop
>>
Were you people complaining in the special classes? Did you get the translation on the opposite page when you studied shakespeare? I am blown away at how badly you people have been educated.
>>
"Do not go egntle into that good night"

- Tolstoy
>>
>>63608031
Then whose problem is it? Clearly it's not the film's. And it's not mine either.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>63608518
>>
File: ian.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ian.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>63607474
>>
>>63608385
we got the exact same play order in Australian highschool
>>
>>63607474

>It is a tale
>Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
>Signifying nothing.

Literally /tv/
>>
literately a meme movie
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.