[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Idris playing Roland Deschain???? Perfect casting or reddit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 13
File: images (2).jpg (9 KB, 297x170) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
9 KB, 297x170
Idris playing Roland Deschain????

Perfect casting or reddit tier shit?
>>
>>63600874
You know the answer.
>>
>>63600874
perfect casting
under the dome is his only good book anyway
>>
>>63600992
The Stand was excellent.

Some of his Bachman stuff was good. I liked "The Regulators."

Nightmares and Dreamscapes has some excellent short stories.
>>
>>63600874
It makes zero sense. Roland is supposed to look like Clint Eastwood? Does Idris look like Clint Eastwood? No, no he does not.

Wouldn't mind him as the next James Bond though.
>>
>>63600874
He's a very charismatic actor which is good for Roland. But it's fucks up his dynamic with one of the most important supporting characters. Unless Susannah will be a white woman with a black supermacist split-personality
>>
>No Scott Eastwood

ONE
JOB
>>
>>63600874

Honestly, it's good casting. I could see it working. The only downside this has is that the woman (I forget her name, it's been a while since I've read the books) will lose some of her "oomph" as one of her characteristics was her black culture and how interesting it was in stark contrast of the rest of the very common white stories (one being the product of wealth and neglect, the other being a junkie) and how her race and how she thought about it made her almost alien from the rest of the group.

I'm sure it'll be fine.
>>
ooga booga
we wuz cowboys

>>63602725
>her black culture and how interesting it was
fucking redditors
get out
>>
>>63600874
Idris is just a white man trapped in a black body anyway
>>
Roland should be played by the guy from Longmire
>>
>reddit
>reddit
>reddit
STFU! Use a real word, you jackass!
>>
>>63602606
Except that the book says he doesn't look at all like Clint (or his son).

They have the same hard eyes going on, nothing else.
>>
>>63602606
Too young
>>
>>63600874
>reddit tier shit

well the casting would fit with the source material then
>>
>>63600874
Even lower than reddit tier shit.
>>
>>63602912
Faggot.
>>
>>63600992
>this statement

So either you continued to read all of King's books and thinking they were bad or you just read one?
>>
Why is this man forced into white roles so vehemently?

Apart from fucking up Detta Walker, the answer is obvious. Casting is good when the actor matches the character.
>>
>niggers remembering the face of their father
hol up
>>
>>63602929
yes it clearly states his a black guy
>>
>>63603092
Producers don't actively make roles for black men but have no problem shoehorning them when it comes time to actually cast people.

Ideally though, I'd like to see Elba in Lethal Weapon.
>>
>>63600874
Roland is an older grizzled white man with piercing blue eyes.

Literally comparable to Clint Eastwood.

Idris is a good actor in his own right but this would be a horrific miscast and anyone that paid attention to the Dark Tower for 14 seconds knows just how badly it fucks the entire story up.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-13-16-56-51.png (184 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-13-16-56-51.png
184 KB, 1280x720
It's over. King is going full SJW and betraying his fans.
>>
>>63600960

Yeah, perfect casting, I know.
>>
>>63603289
He's gone senile in his old age

doesn't even get large fries.
>>
>>63603289
>betraying his fans
Because he owes his fans a specifically Caucasian gunslinger? How on earth could that be viewed as betrayal?
>>
>>63600874
i dont usually do this but roland literally keks someone in like the 2nd chapter of book 1
>>
>>63603289
>Another crazy American with a gun

The guy lives in a shall-issue state with a violent crime rate that is 1/4th the national average, how does he manage to be so fucking deluded?
>>
I read the first 3 of these and while they had interesting moments (the first book especially seemed like something cool was being set up), things just kept getting too wacky for me. Plus Stephen King is kind of a bad writer when it comes to pop culture references and shit like that.
>>
Is the bad guy a white man?

Are the books worth reading?
>>
>>63603429
Have you read the books you tremendous faggot. Roland is White in the books. The illustrations depict a white man. In fact he is shown as looking similar to Clint Eastwood and Stephen King himself. Does Idris Elba look like fucking Clint Eastwood???!

Jesus christ I read years ago King saying it's a shame Eastwood is too old now because he would be play Roland perfectly. King has been completely kucked by his daughter and political correctness. Bra-fucking-vo!

If Patrick Stewart played Malcome X you would throw a fit! But the difference is so would the rest of TV!

Just fuck off you Reddit cancer. You are literally shitting up everything to do with Western culture.
>>
Do you think leftists feel better about themselves when a white character is turned black?
>>
>>63603429
>Because he owes his fans a specifically Caucasian gunslinger? How on earth could that be viewed as betrayal?
Confirmed for never having read the book.
It's important to the story that Roland looks like Clint Eastwood and Stephen King himself. Idris Elba looks like neither.
>>
>>63603429
Way to contort "staying true to source material" and turning it into a purely racial and irrational thing.

In the descriptions and illustrations Roland is depicted as a white man with piercing blue eyes. Someone like Viggo Mortensen is good casting. This is SJW pandering.
>>
Immersion ruined before it has even begun shooting. Good job neo-milennial cancer
>>
>>63603563
It's just the progressive way
think about how perfect the world will be when all the whites are dead!
>>
>>63600874

Roland is supposed to look like Stephen King
says so rite in the books, Roland and Stephen even meet face to face at one point, and Eddie has some internal dialogue about it

>Matthew Muh con knee hay is the Man in Black

I'm out
>>
>>63603582
>b-b-but bootlickers and bleeding vaginas are consigned only to tumblr guys, they have no impact on real life! We shouldn't care about them!
>>
Can we talk about Rust as Randall Flagg tho
>>
>>63603429
Fans usually expect something of certain artists. Such a change in gears done for the sake of a wider audience may chase away followers. While I wouldn't go as dramatic as "betrayal", it is a shift in direction that may not be profitable.

Also it's clear he's only like this because of his daughter. She's probably spouting that privilege bullshit.
>>
So they either have to cut all the backstory with Roland's parents or have them be black too. In which case the entire kingdom might as well be black.
>>
File: 1434402039357.jpg (124 KB, 660x586) Image search: [Google]
1434402039357.jpg
124 KB, 660x586
>>63600874
>look up who's even doing the adaptation
>it's fucking Sony
>mfw
Of course. Who else would think this is a good idea?

Don't get me wrong, Elba is legit, fantastic actor, talented as fuck, has a spine to not be a complete shill for Marvel, but he ain't muh Roland.

If it's actually happening, I'm out, fuck this shit.
>>
I just want Clancy Brown involved in this somehow, who would he play? I think he'd be a good Blaine the Mono with DAT VOICE. He could also make a good Tick Tock Man or Crimson King.
>>
What do lolberals hope to accomplish by turning white characters unnecessarily into niggers? Do they think it will stop Jamal and Winston looting and robbing and raping?
>>
>>63603680
This.

Liberals and Reddit are salivating at using this to push their agenda but most people like Elba. I think he could probably be a good Bond. But he is not Roland!
>>
>>63603563
Only temporarily. Progressivism is fleeting.

Actual black characters like Shaft, Black Dynamite and Pootie Tang are remembered more fondly. But, y'know, that's racist.
>>
>>63603620

I'm fine with the Matt choice. He'd be a better Stand Flagg than a Tower Flagg though.

Idris, on the other hand, is 100% pandering. Isn't Bradley Cooper an executive producer or something? Even HE would've been better.

How is the Drawing of the Three going to work now? Are they just going to glance over it all?
>>
>>63603729
Reported for attempted trolling

Now go back to your /co/ cesspit
>>
>>63603289
Shit, it's confirmed then. We gonna get Boss Nigga instead of The Man with No Name.
Fuck this world.
>>
I bet the legless nigress will be white
>>
>>63603400
it was the car wreck

it turned him into a closeted alcoholic asshole into a publicly embarrassing self righteous asshole

they may as well have casted Donald Trump
>>
>>63603665
What about his daughter?
>>
Go back to your shed if you think it's decent.
>>
>>63603671
Haven't you read any medieval legends? King Arthur was as black as they come and it all took place in africa, of course the kingdom will be black.
>>
Great. Susan Delgado will get some BBC. Just great.
>>
Idris is a bad actor, fight me.
>>
>>63603875
If he wasn't black, he'd be considered mediocre
>>
File: 1449985621018.jpg (76 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1449985621018.jpg
76 KB, 550x512
>>63600874
>think this is just a meme thread
>google it
>he's actually in the fucking running for the film
After fucking forever of trying to get the goddamned film off the fucking ground, losing Ron Howard as a director, and they're going to cast a fucking meme black guy as Roland?

Who's literally described as being a mix between JFK, King, and Eastwood? Who's a fucking descendant of King Arthur, and has an actual black companion who's race literally matters

Thanks Hollywood for killing my hype for one of the franchises I actually care about.
>>
File: 207bfa5.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
207bfa5.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>63603781
Lesbian, Unitarian Reverend, former gay rights activist.
>>
>black guy pursuing big black tower
This isn't the right kind of subtext.
>>
>>63604021
Hollywood has been dead to me for ages. This just proves that no one who makes these movies gives a modicum of a shit about the people who pay to see them as long as they pay.
>>
i don't understand why the gunslinger has to be white. i'm not trolling, i'm serious

isn't this is based on some kind of fantasy sci fi interdimensional/quasi afterlife kind of quest?

i mean, this isn't based in a specific historical region where there were only anglos, so i don't understand other than someone is racist
>>
>>63604161
Because he's described multiple times in the book as being white, and its central to the conflict between him and one of his very important black companions.
>>
>>63604161
BECAUSE LITERALLY IN THE BOOK
HE'S DESCRIBED AS WHITE
>>
>>63600874
But Anon, S. King is literally reddit the author
>>
>>63603289
What the fuck is wrong with you King.

Is he just scared that if he says something, he'll get reprimanded for criticizing the casting?
>>
>>63604161
Thank God Obama's presidency is nearly over. The whole "black is the new black" trend will hopefully be put to rest.
>>
>>63603631
>anyone but Jamie Sheridan as Randall Flagg

>>
>>63604161
If you haven't read the books you should not have an opinion. His race is matters at several points throughout the story.

That's really beside the point though. The character is depicted as white through description and illustration. There are actors who actually resemble him. Why NOT just stay true to the story and use one of them?
>>
>>63604188
is this a conflict central to the story, ie the central conflict is no longer intelligible if this bit is left out or changed in some way?

i haven't read this, but i remember when lord of the rings came out a bunch of people obsesses with the books were really upset that a character and scene was left out of the first movie that had practically no impact on the plot
>>
>>63602406
Susannah is one of the worst characters King ever created next to Frannie Goldsmith and Stu Redman.
>>
>>63604331
Its not a conflict central to the story, but its central for one of the main characters who without it loses a lot.

And she's central to the main conflict.
>>
File: 1434406767927.jpg (6 KB, 185x149) Image search: [Google]
1434406767927.jpg
6 KB, 185x149
>>63604329
>Why NOT just stay true to the story and use one of them?
THIS
WHY ARE THEY WASTING TIME AND OPPORTUNITY ON THIS
HOLY SHIT KEEP THAT RACE-SWAP CARD FOR SOME OTHER MOVIE
THERE ARE LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF ACTORS AS TALENTED AS IDRIS THAT CAN FILL THE ROLE
>>
HOL UP
(commits grand larceny)
SO YOU BE SAYIN
(slam dunks)
HEY SHAWDY
(shits in the pool)
SO LIKE UMM
(quits the first grade)
SO HOL UP HOL UP
(places Velcro on the ceiling of his kids room so they don't jump on the bed)
WE FIN BE
(forgets the face of his father)
SOM KINE
(rapes)
SOM KINE KA-TET?
>>
>>63600992
here it is, (you) faggot
>>
>>63604161
isn't it funny that liberals literally only support the casting choice because of his skin colour, yet pretend people who want the character to stick to his description are the racists
>>
>>63604331
Yes, it's central to the story.

Detta/Odetta is a racist black cripple who hates and mistrusts Roland simply because SHE HATES ALL WHITE PEOPLE. It's THE core of her character until Eddie - ANOTHER white man - manages to win her over.

The conflict between Detta/Odetta is a core facet of Drawing of the Three and heavily influences literally the rest of the series.
>>
Should be Viggo
>>
>>63604161
>>63604331
One of the 3 main characters is a black women who has a split personality, one of which is racist against white people. Roland being white is important for that dynamic alone.
Nevermind the fact that Roland looking like Clint Eastwood and Stephen King is important to the story and subtext.
>>
>>63604329
this character is not some platonic ideal, he doesn't actually exist in some transcendental plane as a white guy, the character is literally a falsehood. fidelity to a detail of a story, if unimportant to a story, is unnecessary

for example, imagine if someone, on the 100 anniversary of the release of star wars, were to decide to cut out the character of darth vader. this would be a change incompatible with the central conflict of the story. changing luke's character to a woman would not, for example, because the odyssey, parent-child redemption story is still possible
>>
>>63604462
this
>>
File: 1440207347796.jpg (51 KB, 640x628) Image search: [Google]
1440207347796.jpg
51 KB, 640x628
>>63604462
>Viggo
>we will never live in a world where Viggo plays Roland
>>
>>63604488
You haven't even read the book. Roland being white IS important to the story.

Fuck off you literal retard.
>>
>>63604297
It's probably in the contract.
>>
Who fucking cares? The series went to shit after book 5 when King started just pumping them out after getting hit by that van so he didn't die with the series unfinished. Fucking making himself a character, and what he did to Flagg was fucking criminal. Why build up a villain over your rntire body of work only to kill him off to make your new big baddie seem so badass. Bunch of bullshit. And speaking of bullshit, the ending? We waited all those years for THAT? Fucking hack. Dadachoke on my dick, King.
>>
>>63603745
Fun Fact, pootie tang was written and directed by the Kek King himself. Mr Louis CK

All the shit in the movie about what a good lover PT is? That is straight from the Kek Kings head.
>>
File: 1448180559394.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448180559394.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>63604603
>dadachoke on my dick
>>
>>63604466
ok, so the story here is an important character whom, through some dramatic mechanisms, changes from racist to not racist

if you were to have a spread of actors in front of you, say, some relatively handsome nobodies with questionable skills to handle the material, and you judged that based on skill alone idris elba were a better actor - AND - at the same time, were able to re-cast a decent actor for this originally racist black character as white instead, thus preserving the overcoming of racism story important to this character, would you do it, or would you just go with the white guy because king mentioned on page 67 paragraph 3 that this gunslinger has white skin

or, are there other white characters which are important? could the gunslinger change the racist character as between two black people, in the sense that the racist character is still black, but idris-gunslinger-dude does not have prejudice against whites and is crucial to changing the racist characters behavior and actions towards other important white characters?
>>
>>63604620

/tv/ legit makes me hate being a black man
>>
>>63604488
It has been stated many times that his race matters to the story.

>fidelity to a detail of a story
And that's the entire point. An adaptation should remain as true to its source material as possible REGARDLESS. All this nonsense your spouting is irrelevant.
>>
>>63604603
He kills every big bad villain anticlimactically.
>>
>>63604434

lol holy shit

>(places Velcro on the ceiling of his kids room so they don't jump on the bed)

i'm surprised you white guys came up with this one though, that's pretty neato
>>
>>63604328

This.
>>
>>63604690
Hatred shouldn't lie in yourself, but the Racist Progressives and degenerate demigogs.

Focus on bettering yourself. Also stay away from white women, it reinforces the stereotype that noone wants black women.
>>
>>63604689
>page 67 paragraph 3 that this gunslinger has white skin

Again confirmed for not having read the book.

There are competent white actors. This is not being done out of necessity, and you know it.
>>
>>63604689
Do you even read the bullshit you type? Or worse, actually believe it?
You haven't read the books so have no idea what you're even talking about.
It is important to the story and character development that Roland is white.

I wouldn't cast a black person, an asian person, a woman, a mexican, or any minority as someone whose race is important to the plot. I would be equally pissed if they cast a white person as Susannah because her race is important to the character and the story. So fuck off with your pseudo-intellectual SJW pandering rhetoric.
>>
>>63604696
no, i think it is relevant, and it's not nonsense. if the creator of the source material doesn't believe a change in this detail is a betrayal of his material or makes his story unworkable, then there's really no good reason why you should, either
>>
>>63604799
>competent white actors

are there competent white actors vying for the film that are better actors than elba, is the point

if there aren't, then a change in the race of a fantasy character in a fantasy setting doesn't seem unworkable since it's been admitted this isn't crucial to the central conflict
>>
>>63604836
Death of The Author faggot.

An artist's work is independent of him.

It has been argued to death for centuries in literary circles for this very reason.
>>
>>63604891
the ka-tet is central to the plot.

this is central to the ka-tet
>>
>>63604891
There are always starving actors of every race and creed in Hollywood.
>>
>>63604904
a film based on this story is not the novel that king wrote, and is a creation of the screenplays, the director, the actors, the editors, etc
>>
>>63604836
>unworkable

The feasibility of creating a movie is the crux of your argument, then?
They could make an animal adaption of the series and it would "work". What does that even mean to you? It would "work", but would have needlessly departed from its source material, which it will likewise have to do if Idris or any black man gets the role or Roland.
King might not CARE that changes would have to be made, but it will nonetheless mean a deviation from the story and this matters to me because I actually read the series and love it. The characters might be nothing to you, but they and all aspects of them matter to me--and many other fans too.
>>
>>63604979
King's opinion is therefore even more irrelevant, and thus not even a viable argument.

Therefore this concerns the potential clientele, or. The Fans.
>>
>>63603187
>"his a black guy"
>you're a retard
Why is it these /pol/eddit inbreds can never spell?
>>
>>63605057
Lots of international flags on /pol/.
>>
>>63604891
>it's been admitted this isn't crucial to the central conflict
It's been stated multiple times that his race is important to the story and character development. In the 2nd book particularly his being white is important, not just because King described him as white once.

Again, one of the 3 main characters is a black woman and people would be pissed if she got cast as a white person because it isn't the character.

This isn't an issue of any actor's ability, it's about needlessly changing characters whenever the changes directly impact the character, the story and the subtext.
>>
>>63604891

I'll reiterate: This is not being done out of necessity, and you know it.

And I'll state for the last time that the race of Roland matters. You have not read the books; shut up on this point and concede to those who have.

One aspect of what makes an actor "better" for a role is how well they can portray the character they are playing. Sorry, but this automatically gives white actors a leg up on Idris. As for acting, of course there are white actors available who are as good or better than Idris. You know this too.
>>
>>63600874
idris can do grizzly old cunt.

the first book is the only good one
>>
>>63605150
Because the appeal of The Dark Tower hinges entirely upon the racial dynamic between Roland and Odetta in book 2. Right.
>>
>>63603693
Clancy Brown as based Cort.
>>
File: 1443306079928.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1443306079928.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>63600874
>the man in black fled across the desert
>the black man fled across the desert
>>
>>63604696
>And that's the entire point. An adaptation should remain as true to its source material as possible REGARDLESS. All this nonsense your spouting is irrelevant.
You fucking moron. Some of the best films and television series of all time disregard much of their source material.
>>
>>63605183
No the story is just heavily impacted based upon the formation of the ka-term which then heavily influences EVERYTHING ELSE.

Casting Idris Elba as Roland Deschain is no different than trying to cast Halle Barry as 'Catwoman-but-not-that-Catwomam-because-this-is-sassy-black-Catwoman' and expecting your core audience to not want to burn you at the fucking stake afterwards.

If you don't see this you're blatantly gaslight in and should just be disregarded like the trash you are.
>>
File: 4P7xc4X.png (96 KB, 332x333) Image search: [Google]
4P7xc4X.png
96 KB, 332x333
>Idris is cast
>Can't make side character white because racism
>Can't leave her black because the banter won't work and 2 black leads won't sell

Odds are they'll make her white and completely remove the banter.

It'll be bloated in budget, tank and Tmblr yells racism.
>>
>>63605197
Brendan Gleeson for Cort imo.
>>
The casting director was apparently dyslexic.
>>
>>63605119
the your/you're spelling mistakes are more common for native speakers tho
>>
>>63605183
People like banter.

It's Tarantinos whole selling point.
>>
>>63605310
So is capitalization and punctuation apparently.
>>
>>63605366
we have nothing to prove. if i was learning german or whatever i would probably go out of my way to spell everything correctly and nail the grammar to impress the locals
>>
>>63600874

He doesn't have that 1000 yard stare that Roland needs. That said he's a decent actor. I still think that Roland should be white though, he wouldn't fit with the original descriptions and the cowboy/paladin style that he has.
>>
Would be fine if it didn't completely fuck the entire story up by destroying the contrasts between characters: A Quasi-royal, a junkie, a mistreated black woman, and a child.
>>
>>63600874
Neither. Its horrible casting but Idris is a great actor.
>>
cant wait to see who they cast for susan. You know she'll be white.
>>
File: The Long Alimony Home.png (375 KB, 367x567) Image search: [Google]
The Long Alimony Home.png
375 KB, 367x567
>>63600874
>not using Branden Fraser
>>
File: 1428256562917.jpg (145 KB, 820x820) Image search: [Google]
1428256562917.jpg
145 KB, 820x820
>>63602725

>her black culture and how interesting it was in stark contrast of the rest of the very common white stories

You do know that Roland is from an alternate universe that doesn't have "black culture" right?
So the paradigm doesn't shift. At all, you fucking racist.
>>
Doesn't Roland end up with a black woman and there's some issue in the story over their interracial relationship? Would they have to whitewash that black female lead character in casting to make it work?

Isn't a white male paired with a black female rarer in cinema? Why not focus on casting the black female lead?
>>
>>63602251
>Wouldn't mind him as the next James Bond though.
How about we make a new black character like DCI Luther as 'the next James Bond' instead of just recycling James Bond with a black guy?
>>
>>63600874
Why do they have to do this shit? There are plenty of white actors that fit the role better.
>>
>>63606175
yea right. seriously native english speakers are the worst kind of retards when it comes to learning other languages.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.