[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The matrix
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
Other than 'The Invisibles', which films, novels and comics have influenced The Matrix?
>>
>expecting /tv/ to have read much less heard of the Invisibles
Appreciate your taste mate but I feel like you're wasting your breath.
>>
>>63599849
Ghost in the Shell obviously.
>>
every action movie
every sci fi anime
>>
Ghost in the Shell was one of the major inspirations for the movie, and the project was originally pitched as making a movie like GitS but in live action.
>>
https://web.archive.org/web/19980206045216/http://corona.bc.ca/films/details/matrix.html

>November 10, 1997... "This film may be based in part on a novella called 'Virtual Realities', originally published in the sourcebook of the same name for the 'Shadowrun' role-playing game. Briefly, it's the story of an entity named Renny which lives in the global computer network called the Matrix. Other people, human beings, are able to enter the Matrix and manipulate data, but Renny is much better at it because he's spent his entire life in the Matrix. Eventually, one of the human beings hired to help 'train' Renny discovers that Renny isn't an artificial intelligence at all, but a real human child that has been cut off from all 'real-world' stimuli so that he focuses solely on the Matrix world -- the only world he knows. The story, by Christopher Kubasik, is excellent and well-told.

>"Having spoken with the line developer of the 'Shadowrun' RPG, I know that a film based on this novella is in the works. However, all references to the RPG are being removed in the interest of streamlining the story (and possibly avoiding licensing fees). That would explain some of the plot differences, as well as the fact that the film is set in 2197 rather than 2059 (the date of the game world). It's hard to say what similarities the film will have to the original story, but I'm still looking forward to it."
>>
>>63600148
Appreciate it, thank you.
>>
The film Dark City was definitely the major inspiration for The Matrix. It has a similar story and very similar visuals, including the particularly abundant use of the atmospheric color green. It came out one year before Dark City.

It's suspicious, to say the least.
>>
>>63599849

There's a lot of George Orwell in there.
>>
>>63600365
Sorry, I meant to say Dark City came out one year before The Matrix.
>>
>>63599849
Ghost in the Shell
Hard Boiled
Mamoru Oshii's Kerberos Trilogy
Akira
>>
File: Untitled.png (984 KB, 1412x394) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
984 KB, 1412x394
>>63599849
The entire theme "connecting to some virtual net-space" was lifted from Blame!, as well as the all black attire and drab-colored environments
>>
>>63600365
They reused Dark City props, especially that intro part with Trinity running on rooftops — it was built solely for Dark City.
>>
>>63599849
Neuromancer, can't believe no-one has mentioned it yet
>>
>>63601211
It has little to do with the movie desu. It's classic cyberpunk novel, while Matrix is definetly post-cyberpunk.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.