[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever have a new film as revolutionary as LOTR? I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
Will we ever have a new film as revolutionary as LOTR?

I just don't see it being possible. We've hit the ceiling when it comes to special effects - shit looks real, it's not impressive it's just standard. A studio will never again take the risk into making an entire trilogy at one time.

LOTR was the peak of film.
>>
Jackson's LoTR wasn't even good. Gimli isn't comic relief and pipeweed is nicotine not marijuana (Saruman never said pipeweed slows minds in the books and the ROTK appendix says explicitly that pipeweed is nicotiana), miniatures were obvious, weird camera angles to fake height differences dated the movie immediately, poor special effects like the retarded cave troll, gay themes supplanted master/servant relationship, really it was a horror show and I'm here to disabuse you of your notion that Peter Jackson was ever a good director, please watch his earlier movies.

Meet the Feebles director made this. Tolkien hated leftists and hippies and loathed their co-opting of his works in the 60s, he rolled in his grave when this shitshow was released.
>>
>>63599132
>retarded
>gay
Guess the age!
>>
>>63599171
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TusQGmO-5Do
>>
>>63599171
"gay themes" means gay themes, it's not an insulting descriptor, I literally mean that the master/servant relationship from the books was depicted as a homosexual bond and this criticism is perfectly valid.
>>
>>63599132
So you've never seen it? Okay
>>
>>63599239
It's an elf.
You know what elves do in Tolkien's works?
>>
>>63599105
>Will we ever have a new film as revolutionary as LOTR?

The reboot in five years.
>>
>>63599306
They don't shieldboard, same as hobbits don't smoke marijuana.
>>
>>63599347
oh yeah? were you there?
becouse i was there smoking weed and lighting firecrackers with hobbits, and boy do they smoke
>>
>>63599132
"Braindead" and "Frighteners" were awesomely funny. And "Heavenly Creatures" was a superb movie as well.
>>
>>63599421
The Frighteners was OK but if you were awed by any of Jackson's movies you haven't seen enough films. He certainly didn't deserve to direct Tolkien, he's MCU tier.
>>
>>63599239
>bad physics

more like sick choreography.
>>
>>63599465
"awed" is the wrong word. I liked them though. Now stop being a fuckstain.
>>
File: Legolas03.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
Legolas03.webm
3 MB, 960x400
>>63599239

That shit is still nothing compared to Hobbit.
>>
>>63599605
>>63599605
It's just opinions. Chris Tolkien shares mine, because, like me, he respects the work.
>>
>>63599132
This dipshit has no idea what he's talking about. In fact, you can pretty much disregard the opinion of anyone who continues to think that the bond that exists between two guys who take a no-return journey to the end of the world, facing almost certain death every day, is gay.

The LOTR movies are a representation of what happens when you have a film crew that has the passion of an indie director and the funding of a triple-A developer. That's why it looks better than films that are released today, 14 years later. If that's sad, it's only sad in that we should be able to expect better from the entertainment industry in the quality of the movies they've released since.
>>
>>63599616
>>63599239

Why does legolas seem like his characters abilities were written by "that kid" in school who would make their character a god at fighting and immortal and zero weaknesses and also a super hot gf who he would bang 24/7 and could move faster than light and breathe under water as well as in space?
>>
>>63599616
havent seen this one before
>>
>>63599132
>>63599265

>gay themes supplanted master/servant relationship,

>Tolkien literally describes Sam defending Frodo as being akin to a small animal defending its fallen mate

>and yet Jackson was the one who came up with the gay themes
>>
>>63599651
I just didn't like that the master/servant relationship was intentionally given homosexual undertones in the same way pipeweed was made into marijuana. These unnecessary perversions are small, but they serve to promote a hyperleftist agenda and are antithetical to JRR Tolkien's character and the work he produced. It's akin to heresy.
>>
>>63599616

Not sure if this is worst than the slow-mo rock climbing
>>
>>63599760
You know how I can tell you've never employed a servant?

This isn't rhetorical, but I'm not going to answer. I want YOU to answer.
>>
File: oh god why.jpg (26 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
oh god why.jpg
26 KB, 210x230
too much walking
too much talking
not enough fighting

it's a piece of shit
>>
>>63599651
This so much.
>>
File: legolas-gif.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
legolas-gif.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>63599779

I got you covered familia
>>
File: the elder stops scrolling.jpg (93 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
the elder stops scrolling.jpg
93 KB, 640x480
>>63599105
>LotR
>Revolutionary
>Uses the same generic WoW races (humans, elves, dwarves, orcs) as every fantasy film
>>
>>63599858
Tolkien obviously stole from WoW, but so does everyone.
>>
ITT: people masturbating over special effects when what actually determines the peak potential quality of a film is the writing.
>>
>>63599845
I just didn't like that the master/servant relationship was intentionally given homosexual undertones in the same way pipeweed was made into marijuana. These unnecessary perversions are small, but they serve to promote a hyperleftist agenda and are antithetical to JRR Tolkien's character and the work he produced. It's akin to heresy.

If you'd like to respond to me directly, I'm right here, cowardly fuck.
>>
>>63599692
that's what all elves should have been able to do in the movies
hell, they are supposed to be even more skilled and powerful in the books
>>
>>63599798

>he ran to Frodo's side and took his left hand, awkwardly and shyly. He stroked it gently and then he blushed and turned hastily away.
>>
>>63599892
The only ones seeing gay themes there are you, faggot.
It's about a deeper bond between comrades who have been trough some shit together, akin to what soldiers get to eachother in war, it's everything but gay.
>>
File: 1446937654578.gif (308 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
1446937654578.gif
308 KB, 500x326
>>63599132

This man is 100% right.
I give PJ credit for creating a somewhat iconic look (although I personally don't like it too much). The camera work during battles is actually atrocious and a prime example on how not to shoot an action movie (discnnected heroe close ups slashing at the camera so you don't have to keep track of an actual coreography), the CGI was kinda decent back then, is mediocre now.

After all it is just a junk food version of Tolkien's work, which was not an action fest coupled with comical dwarves and a radicool elve, but more like an old epic and thus almost unscreenable. Everything that was subtle in LoTR either didn't make it into the film or was shoved right in your face.
2 and 3 also had horrible pacing...oh damn...the last one was actually hard to sit through.

They succeeded to turn this unscreenable material into a mainstream movie movie, I give you that, but LoTR would have deserved so much more. Let Del Torro direct it and it would have at least been more fairytale like.
>>
>>63599858
>file name
KeKs were had.
>>
>>63599105
>risk into making an entire trilogy at one time

I think a studio would take the risk again due to the over all cost savings.. Just need to have very well known source material that's almost a sure block buster. I'm just not sure there is much of that left out there to mine. Other wise hollywood would of already tapped it.

they where going nuts on young adult fiction after the Hunger Games did so well but given how so many of the newer films based off other books flopped, that's over.

It would take something like a new Harry Potter spin off or maybe Disney shooting 3 films at the same time for a totally new starwars project.
>>
>>63599846
why did they have to put it in slow mo?
this shitty cgi has zero immersion and is so unrealistic that you can tell it could never feasibly happen, even by an asexual elf. slow mo accentuates how shit it is.
>>
>>63600090
Don't forget to have so much bloom that it looks like you smeared vaseline on your glasses
>>
>>63599946
That's the books. In the movies, homosexual undertones were added. War buddies don't gaze longingly into one another's eyes.
>>
>>63599900
Confirmed for never employing a loyal servant.
>>
>>63600227
Whatever you say, homo.
>>
>>63600250
There's nothing wrong with being homosexual or engaging in homosexual relations. That's just not what Tolkien wrote, and perverting his sacred text to service the political agendas of the leftist screenplay writers and directors is heinous.
>>
>>63599265
>>63599760
>>63599900
>>63599171

>literal underaged faggots getting triggered by the word gay
>while other underaged faggots try to force everything as being gay.

Found the gay sissies.

Go back to >>>/t/umblr
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.