[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"If I Couldn't Write Comedy Anymore Then I'd Write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: king-hill.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
king-hill.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
-Mike Reiss [former show runner for The Simpsons and co-creator of The Critic]

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63597212
I remember a Simpsons commentary where Reiss basically called Hank Hill a Homer Simpson rip off because he wears a white shirt and blue pants. It always seemed like such a bizarre opinion to me because the two characters couldn't be any less similar.
>>
>>63597319
>both wear white shirt & blue pants
>both drink beer from the can
>both work in energy industry
>both live in suburbs
>both sterile
>two characters couldn't be any less similar
>>
>>63597212
Maybe that King of the HIll isn't funny.
>>
>>63597485
Yeah. I find the characters too pathetic to be funny. Hank is brainwashed, Peggy suffers from unwarranted self importance, Bobby is just a fucking weirdo, Luanne is white trash, Bill is suicidal haha hilarious..
>>
File: Queerduck.png (28 KB, 592x397) Image search: [Google]
Queerduck.png
28 KB, 592x397
well, he did make this
>>
>>63597468
you might as well have listed their gender, nationality and species, anon
>>
>>63597468

So just like millions of middle class white men?
>>
>>63597543
>>63597586
oh come on homer works with nuclear power, hank works with propane gas. homer has lazy sperm and hank has a narrow urethra - that's awfully "coincidental"
>>
>>63597468
I think what makes a person a person is more than their job, their clothes, their favourite beverages etc. When you're talking about a character, referring to superficial/material assets is bad practice as it doesn't tell you anything about who the person is. I wear jeans and occasionally drink beer from a can but I am 100% opposite of either character. So your facetious reply was redundant because you just told us how you externally view each character, but nothing about the characters
>>
KotH was too conservative for his Jewish ass
>>
>>63597606
hank works as assistant manager in a small propane gas shop run as a small business and works honestly, homer works for a big power plant run by a tycoon and has no idea what he's doing

worlds of difference
>>
>>63597319
If anything ripped-off the Simpsons, it was Family Guy, which they even did a cross-over for. Fucking hypocrites.
>>
>>63597212
Probably a bad case of sour grapes.
>>
>>63597685
and the gobots came from gobotron, a planet of humanoids who transferred their consciousness into transforming robot bodies. a world of difference from the transformers coming from cybertron where they upgraded their already robotic bodies to transform
>>
"If I couldn't write good episodes of The Simpsons anymore, I'd still be writing for The Simpsons."-Every writer on Simpsons
>>
>>63597732
how can you not see the huge difference in what i said? literally the only similarity is superficial, that they both run business based around the energy sector, but that's something that has no effect on what we see in the show, unlike all the other factors surrounding their workplaces.
>>
Hes jealous another show is out there.

Seriously though the Humor of King of the Hill is far more subdued. To some people that means it's not funny whatsoever. To others it's the best form of comedy.

I like KotH but i can understand why others might not find it funny.
>>
>>63597758
Caucasian Blue Collar Dad: The Animated Series
>>
File: 1401407553664.png (979 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1401407553664.png
979 KB, 1440x1080
Hank was a younger version of Beavis and Butthead's neighbor Tom Anderson that they were constantly annoying. Mike Judge even used the same voice for both characters.
>>
>>63597529
I liked the movie.
>>
>>63597212
I tell ya' I hate Nancy, it's a beautiful day. Yay.
>>
File: 1231221.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1231221.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>people think Hank Hill and Homer Simpson are similar
>>
King of the hill is more subtle than the Simpsons, I always enjoyed the Simpsons as a kid/teen but I thought KOTH was lame and poorly drawn

Only as you get older do you get KOTH, which is more family oriented and emotional
>>
>Jewish
>Works in Hollywood
>Created a cartoon about a homosexual duck
>Implies that GOAT show beloved by conservatives is not funny

/tv/ was right again.
>>
mike reiss is a jew
>>
>>63597468
>both work in the energy industry
>hank is a propane salesman
>homer is a nuclear safety technician

have to admit i keked a bit
>>
>>63598019
They are.
>first names both begin with H
>both have a son and a wife
>both are American
>their fathers are both alive but not married to their mother any more
>they both live in houses
>both have friends who they drink with
>>
>>63597468
These are all completely superficial. Their personalities are not alike at all.
>>
>>63598446
>Homer's favorite football team = Dallas Cowboys
>Hank's favorite football team = Dallas Cowboys
>>
>>63597319
I've been watching the Simpsons commentaries lately and they call everything under the sun a Simpsons ripoff. They really come off as a bunch of egotistical arseholes.
>>
>>63598540
The only thing The Simpsons did was open the door for more edgy adult animation

If any of them called Duckman a Simpsons rip off they'd be complete faggots

The only legit Simpsons rip off IMO is Family Guy
>>
>>63598562
I don't even like Family Guy but I don't think it's fair to call it a ripoff. It has it's own tone and style of humour that is very different than The Simpsons.
>>
>>63598612
That's one thing, but there have been way too many similar jokes

Simpsons had a joke about Santa's Little Helper banging a race track dog

Family Gay did the exact same joke but with Brian
>>
>>63597319
That reminds me of how when Futurama came out everyone was labeling it as " Just The Simpsons in space" and would claim that Bender was just a rip-off of Homer based on the superficial fact that both characters drank beer.
>>
>>63598645
Seen the Simspons Did It episode of South Park?
>>
>>63598681
That defense only works so far.

I can't name an episode of King of the Hill that explicitly rips off The Simpsons and it's almost as old.
>>
I think we can all agree that Bobby wanting to be a prop comic cemented him as the most obnoxious character in animated television history
>>
>character gets pushed around of taken advantage of for most of the episode
>they, or Hank, finally stand up for themselves
>the end

It was really simple and repetitive.
>>
File: Earl-sneed-sinclair.gif (330 KB, 600x497) Image search: [Google]
Earl-sneed-sinclair.gif
330 KB, 600x497
>>63598540
They also called Jim Henson Studios' DInosaurs quote "a character for character knock off of the Simpsons" Could anyone in the Simpsons spit rhymes like Earl Sinclair? I don't think so bartman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v2mvO7Yq48
>>
>>63598721
Nope. Bobby is adorable. Every true fan agrees that Luann is unbearable.
>>
>le they're the same characters XD
Then why is Hank Hill's life extremely appealing where Homer's is a nightmare?
>>
>>63599018
Luanne was dumb as shit but I'd still hit it

>tfw Britney Murphy will never coo in your ear with a southern accent, why live? ..she didn't
>>
>>63598983

If anything both Earl and Homer are built off of Ralph from Honeymooners, Earl moreso
>>
>>63599073
We've got ourselves a college boy here fellas. Yes you're exactly right. The whole trope of the fat blue collar sitcom husband and his out-of-his-league hot wife trope all started there ..well I suppose it could go back further to Laurel & Hardy or something but The Honeymooners popularized it to the extent that shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of Queens etc used it.
>>
>>63599073
you left out the Flintstones
>>
>>63599144
The Flinstones really is a direct knock off of The Honeymooners though
>>
trolling is off the charts even for /tv/ in this thread
>>
>>63599144

Honeymooners predates it, but you're right.
>>
>>63597750
underrated post
>>
>>63597606
They are two completely different people. You're comparing the wrong thing. It doesn't mean Hank Hill wasn't inspired by Homer, but he definitely isn't a ripoff.
>>
>>63598645
Family Guy have outright stolen jokes from Simpsons word for word.
>Run like the wind!
>>
>>63599229
are you saying Seth MacFarlane is a colossal hack? I am shocked, shocked that /tv/ would ever suggest that he would recycle other people's ideas or even his own ideas ad nausiem.
>>
Literally Reddit: The opinion
>>
>>63597763
King of the Hill gets a lot of its laughs from the subtleties of the characters themselves, it doesn't really have jokes. Which is one of the reasons I don't like it because you have to get invested with the characters and I just find them mundane.
>>
>>63599264
Hi tumblr, don't think that by copypasting stock /tv/ responses to fit in that we'll forget we hate you too.
>>
>They are both straight white men
Not only are they copying Simpsons, they're both shitlords
>>
>>63597485
Ah I remember when I was a kid and didn't understand KotH's humor. Then I finally got it and holy shit, loved it ever since.

"That's a clean burning hell I tell you hwat."
"Mwaahahahahahaaha"
>>
>>63599298
>>
File: hellofag.gif (34 KB, 363x269) Image search: [Google]
hellofag.gif
34 KB, 363x269
>>63599368
>>
>>63598487
Now list 10 more things they have in common
>>
>>63597212
>If I couldn't write comedy anymore
>If
>anymore

Hmmm...
>>
>>63597750

kek
>>
>>63599254

Everyone suggests that. It's not even a /tv/ contrarian belief
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.