[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
there will never be a good star wars sequel because the source
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11
File: Star-Wars-Poster.jpg (256 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-Poster.jpg
256 KB, 600x900
there will never be a good star wars sequel because the source material just isn't that good to begin with. the 2000's trilogy is no worse than the original trilogy, it's just that the standards have become impossible to meet. if the original trilogy came out today, everyone would call it mediocre and forgettable. it has black and white morals, below average acting, predictable main characters, the good guys always win and EWOKS. people pretend that they like the original trilogy because they idea of being a "nerd" has become cool.
>>
whatever dude.

wtf is marvel then?
>>
People will praise this new movie as something better than the other six though

It looks and feels like a capeshit by marvel with star wars paint
>>
>>63575658
Wrong. What a thoughtless and empty opinion
>>
File: carrie-fisher.png (112 KB, 286x374) Image search: [Google]
carrie-fisher.png
112 KB, 286x374
>>63575658
D R O P P E D

http://i.4cdn.org/tv/1449950999405.png
>>
>>63575694
Marvel is fine. It's entertaining, but it's not that good.
>>
>>63575790
If your mother isn't jewish you aren't jewish that's their rules.

She's not as jewish as Harrison Ford.
>>
>>63575790
does this mean vader was a jew?
>>
>>63575788
there is not a single thing I said that was wrong though. you just disagree with the conclusion because "star wars is good" is what you've been repeatedly told
>>
>>63576004
Nope. If you can't understand the immediate discernable differences between the prequel and original trilogy you are just a massive retard
>>
Why are star wars fans so insecure?
>>
>>63576506
I like the original trilogy because not liking the original trilogy means one is a retard because the original trilogy is good

>what is circular logic

episode 3 is the best of the series, period. it's certainly not GREAT, but in comparison to the others the acting is better and the characters are not unidimensional automatons
>>
>>63575658
>below average acting
>EWOKS
true but the prequel trilogy had HORRENDOUS acting and Jar Jar who is much more present and annoything than the Ewoks ever were
>>
>>63576658
>He liked unlimited power
>>
>>63575780
shit did you see it already?
>>
>>63576004

It is a movie for kids and it has something about it that makes children love it, even I they haven't seen it or heard about it before, even today. It is a light-hearted adventure, well-paced, decently acted, with archetypical but likable characters, a good cast, and an engaging story, twists and turns and excellent action sequences, and to top it off, a universe full of possibilities.

You're just butthurt because shit's more popular than Coke.
>>
>>63576841
>movie for kids
>lighthearted
>archetypical characters

if a movie like this comes out today, how do you think it will be received?
>>
File: 1413712224471.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1413712224471.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
there will never be a good star wars thread because the source memes just aren't that good to begin with. the 2000's threads are no worse than the original threads, it's just that the standards of memes have become impossible to meet. if the original threads came out today, everyone would call it memestry and reddit. it has black and white morals, below average jokes, predictable main baiters, the good guys never win and ROBOTS. people pretend that they like the original threads because they idea of being an "anon" has become cool.
>>
>>63575658
stop posting.
>>
theory time

>finn starts out as storm trooper but early sees how fucked up they are and their real cause. when he learns about the new "death star" that's built into an ice planet (for cooling, as that was the death stars' weakness) he gtfo and tries to warn the rebels. he steals a tie fighter and gets shot by the star destroyer, crashed on jakku but survived.

>rey is a scavanger on jakku who wants more from life than getting parts from the crashed empire vehicles and selling them; she wants to get off that desert planet (just like luke did)

>rey witnesses finn's crash and helps him. she's intrigued by what finn tells her and they meet solo who happens to be on jakku too. finn tells solo what the fuck is up and han decides that they have to find luke.

>they get attacked by the first order (they're still hunting finn) but manage to escape in the falcon.

>they start their journey to find luke, who has chosen a life in solitude just like obi-wan.

>han meets up with leia when they are about to fight against the first order to tell her what finn said and to find info about luke's whereabouts.

>han, chewie, finn and rey help fight the empire, also fight against kylo ren, are able to escape and then continue their search for luke.

>they find luke at the end of the movie.

~fin(n)~

and if my predictions are correct, it will be a good film
>>
>>63576656
prequels, that's why
>>
>>63575790
Is this a new meme? I'm seeing this in every thread
>>
They really should have done a cross over movie where they encounter the Borg or some shit. Or have 2 hours of Luke in his luxury villa on some planet where he fucks all day long doing death sticks and talking to the walls about good and evil. He throws darts at R2 and collects his own urine. Something fucking different.
>>
>>63575694
Its an action movie. Its predictable and you don't need suprises. You come for the one liners, watching justice unrealistically prevail and watching muscular alpha males dominate betas.
>>
>>63579051
>finns and reys last names and kylo rens true name haven't been revealed yet
>it's been implied by Jar Jar Abrams and some of the actors that this is because the characters last names are highly indicative of their true roles on the story
>it's widely rumored that Rey is Luke's daughter and Kylo is Han and Lea's or they are both Han and Lea's
>Boyega still doesn't know Finn's last name/true name

just who the fuck is Finn?
>>
>>63576656
Because starwars presents the idea that religion can somehow be the dominate force. That us plebs aren't destined to be workhorses and unwanted, that the force will come and save us. Just like Baby Jesus/Anakin
>>
>>63576735
Jar Jar is a fucking God
He's just easy to hate because he's bright orange, speaks funny and is a diff species and seemingly pointless (unless you understand he was a sith).

The kid is far worse than Jar Jar
>>
>>63579439
well who was the only important black guy in star wars?
>>
>>63576656
because they know star wars was never that good to begin with, and they worry their little circle jerk will come to an end when people realize it.
>>
>>63578580

Considering how well the marvel movies fare, I'd say it would be pretty well received, actually. At least critically.

I don't know if today would be a box-office hit like it was back in the seventies, but it hasn't aged badly. At all.

Star Wars has something. A kid sees it today, and gets the same feeling of wonder and amazement they had back when they were first released. It's just not for jaded or cynical audiences.
>>
>>63579537
>>63579439
landos son, for the slow
>>
>>63575658
>the source material just isn't that good to begin with
The sheer abundance of EU material and the cultural impact Star Wars has had (compare it to other popular technologically-impressive franchises like Avatar) says otherwise. You can't spin a million tons of straw unless there's some gold there to begin with.

>it has black and white morals, below average acting, predictable main characters
Irrelevant in an adventure movie. You might as well say Conan the Barbarian is mediocre and forgettable.

>the good guys always win
Watch the second movie, anon. It's the one called "Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back." You might like it.
>>
>>63579123
/pol/ is excited for starwars: the story of white human's dominance over the diverse sub-human species of the universe
>>
>>63579537
>>63579710

Mace?
>>
>>63579788
no, if he was mace's kid, he would be a lot older and not a storm trooper
>>
File: Triggered.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
Triggered.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>watched Cinema Sins on SW ep 1
>read comments
>people are still defending the prequels
>people think the prequels are in any way good
>>
>>63579836
Could be grandson, Mace could have had a child in hiding after being flung out the windu. Mace Could have had illegitimate son.
>>
>>63579123
No its actually a very old one
>>
star wars 7 will make them a lot of money

but yeah, it's going to be pure shit
>>
File: 1430079082827.png (2 MB, 1576x1591) Image search: [Google]
1430079082827.png
2 MB, 1576x1591
>>63580045
>flung out the windu
>>
>>63580103
Can't be as bad as the prequels, the trailer was many times more exciting than the whole trilogy. But damn, did they really have to dust off Harrison Ford ford is? Will he be as grumpy as ever or will he actually act this time around?
>>
>>63575817
I like Marvel, is good to go with your friends on the movie theater and eat some popcorns and soda, but is not to take so serious.
>>
>>63580225
you're acting like movies are on a scale of 1-10 and the prequels were 3 while this will be a 6 or 7.

but actually there's only two kinds of movie - movies you actually want to watch more than once and ones you don't. and the only reason you will want to watch TFA more than once is because of episodes IV and V, not the movie itself.
>>
>>63580225

it's a rehash man

you're better off just watching Star Wars again instead
>>
File: is that so.png (373 KB, 1018x1026) Image search: [Google]
is that so.png
373 KB, 1018x1026
>>63580045
>Mace could have had a child in hiding after being flung out the windu.
>>
File: 1442778476517.png (822 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
1442778476517.png
822 KB, 525x809
>>63579788
>>63579710
>>63580045
>Lando's son
>Mace's son/grandson

I don't buy it

>flung out the windu
>mfw
>>
File: ascientificprinciple.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ascientificprinciple.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
>>63575658
>the 2000's trilogy is no worse than the original trilogy,

You'll have to tell me what it's like living with a anus in your skull instead of a brain.
>>
>>63580045
>flung out the windu
>>
>>63580563
>>63578689
>>63575788

prove me right, bitches. say that I'm wrong but provide zero explanation, because there isn't one. muh nerdom.
>>
File: 1414479956430.gif (2 MB, 268x200) Image search: [Google]
1414479956430.gif
2 MB, 268x200
>>63580855
>OP is a faggot

prove me right, bitches. say that I'm wrong but provide zero explanation, because there isn't one. muh retardation.
>>
>>63580924
nice 3rd grade rebuttal.
>>
>>63581054
>makes shitty b8 thread

Hur dur 3rd grade.
>>
>>63581067
all you've been doing is calling me a retard and dodge the actual subject. you don't have any grounds to call me shit and all star wars fan are like you. it's just an echo chamber of "the original trilogy is good" but there is nothing to actually discuss or compare, and when the new movie comes out and it magically critiqued with modern standards, I wonder how they will keep defending the original. just imagine for a moment that the scene where han solo taps on a strormtrooper shoulders then runs away was not in ep VI, but in the new movie. how would you actually defend this scene
>>
>>63580924
Well it is very intelligent and layered for a scifi adventure movie. The opulent scenarios, peculiar characters, the corny and pop-esoteric take on a timeless story, all of these elements contributed for the creation of a living mythos. Most people like it because watching Star Wars is like immersing in another planet, another universe far away from the mundane earth, it's pretty much a quitessential escapist work within cinematic realms. Star Wars afficionados love talking to exhaustion about each inch of detail put in every scene, extending the Star Wars culture to more analytical debates.
>>
File: 1370300938933.jpg (87 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1370300938933.jpg
87 KB, 550x550
Well, no, none of the six movies are exactly high art, but taking into account their medium, you can't exactly say the original trilogy is anything short of an astounding blockbuster. Of course you aren't getting a Tarkovski or a Bergman from American movies targeted towards kids and teens, and for the limitations of Hollywood, Star Wars really did a lot to stand out back in its day.

And do you really need an explanation as to why? Aren't the charismatic characters, the creative universe and lore that leaves a lot for the imagination of fans and other medium spin-offs alike of varying degrees of quality, the top-notch visuals and soundtrack, etc, enough of a reason? Even under its limitations as a marketing product, the fifth movie in particular tackles some superficially explored but nonetheless interesting oriental philosophy themes.
>>
>>63581465
Plus, think about it from the perspective of a kid in the late seventies. Your choices in science fiction are either cheesy and aesthetically outdated action adventures like Logan's Run and Barbarella or complicated arthouse films like 2001 and Solaris. Enter the first Star Wars, and you get a film with visuals heavily inspired by 2001 and a story that is simple enough for any 4 year old to follow along, while still presenting enough well written characters and memorable moments that keep it intact as a solid sci-fi adventure to this day. Really, it's not hard to see why the source material had such an impact.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.