[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Already forgotten "instant classics" What I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: MAKETHEMONEY.jpg (148 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
MAKETHEMONEY.jpg
148 KB, 800x600
ITT: Already forgotten "instant classics"

What I mean by this is films touted as the next big classic movie either critically, academically or box office performance wise and are then forgotten about within a year
>>
File: jake-gyllenhaal.png (215 KB, 333x634) Image search: [Google]
jake-gyllenhaal.png
215 KB, 333x634
>>63575583
D R O P P E D
>>
>>63575597
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>63575583
It was too edgy
>>
>>63575597
He's Reddit: The Shit Actor anyway

>>63575616
Hello Reddit!
>>
My worst gripe with this movie was the voice over happening in the end when Jake started filming his dying friend. Like, you got the scene just by looking at it but they dumbed it down by adding voice over telling what is happening in the scene. Ruined THE most important moment in the movie.
>>
12 Years a Slave
Lincoln
that movie about Stephen Hawking
that movie about the dude that cracked the German code during WW2
Iron Lady
>>
>>63575583
This movie had a terrible soundtrack
>>
>>63575633
This
It was pretty good, well acted, well made, but not classic
>>
>>63575671
>He was a prime example of someone who could never have what it takes to be a Nightcrawler.
Really?
>>
>>63575730
>oscar bait movies are the same as instant classics
>>
>>63575746
Some Reznor / Ross could really make the whole thing more sleazy
>>
Not a film but Hannibal

It tried too fucking hard
>>
Silver Linings Playbook

Never saw it, but everyone pissed their pants over it until the oscars, then it was immediately forgotten.

Jlaw marketting drones enjoying a holiday.
>>
>>63575583
John Wick
Ex Machina
Whiplash
Snowpiercer
Looper
>>
>>63575730
Oscar-bait =/= "instant classic".

I know someone will say The King's Speech, so I'll get in before and say thats a fantastic movie

>>63575671
I think the film made its point long before that, even from when he assaults the security guard in the opening scene. The whole thing is a satire to say that the younger generations need to be inhumanely ruthless and single-minded to succeed at capitalism today, it makes that very clear in the beginning and everything after that is just an increasignly sensational way to belabor the point
>>
Boyhood
>>
>>63575844

Add American Hustle to that
>>
>>63575583
I remember it so you're wrong.
>>
>>63575821
I agree, the music sounded too upbeat and happy sometimes, a darker more atmospheric soundtrack would've made this movie even better
>>
argo
>>
>>63576016
lmao no, you don't.
>>
>>63575903
>Looper
THIS

>>63576000
>>63575844
I really liked parts of The Fighter and the majority of SLP(especially Cooper's performance) but I think every David O. Russel movie falls under this category. He'll definitely be one of those directors who is big at the time but gets a footnote in history books at best.
>>
>>63575597
Hey goyim can you kill yourself?
>>
I showed this to a girl I was seeing and she got so bored she took my virginity
>>
The Artist was forgotten almost immediately after winning the Oscar.
>>
I really doubt anyone is going to remember Birdman in a couple of years
>>
>>63575583
this is a stupid, contrived thread. all the movies listed were critical hits, but of course withina year theyre forgotten because movies are constantly churned out and you can only watch a movie you like so many times before youre willing to put it away. A YEAR LATER.
>>
File: 1437235282480.png (1 MB, 939x538) Image search: [Google]
1437235282480.png
1 MB, 939x538
slum dog millionare won over the Dark Knight and no one remembers it.

thanks hussan obama
>>

/thread
>>
>>63576374
Nah people still talk about that piece of shit.
>>
>>63575648
>shit actor
He is paid millions because he can do what 100.000 others can't. Believe me, watching any movie audition is an enormous cringefest and there are people that devoted their lives to practice to get any role.
And getting a role in a Hollywood movie is all but easy. There are SO MANY things a person must have to fit in a movie. He is actually well talented and responsible, I've heard many good things about Jake
>>
>>63576241
This.
>>
>>63576422
yeah, but they only talk about it in a negative way, and how it failed to be a classic.
>>
>>63575903
People still talk about Whiplash bruh
>>
File: the-artist-poster-2.jpg (93 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
the-artist-poster-2.jpg
93 KB, 1200x1600
>Us patrician cinephiles mirite Academy?
>>
>>63576552
Besides that i hear people talk about how much money it made and the visual effects.
>>
>>63576669
that's just /tv/.
>>
>>63576695
Nah in real life too, a few weeks ago my neighbor was ranting and raving about how good it was.
>>
>>63576721
Well, your neighbor's a faggot and so are you, you cuntbag dipshit.
>>
>>63576779
I was agreeing with you that it was a shitty movie you fat smelly asshole but people still talk about it.
>>
>>63575597
fuuuuck I was starting to like that guy
>>
>>63576629
Best Jean Dujardin flick is Brice The Nice senpai
>>
>>63576234
god that movie was fucking ASS
literally 100% gimmick
>>
How many times does Life of Pi come up in a casual conversation? 0
How many times does Avengers? 8
>>
>>63576315
Yes and Slumdog Millionaire was the better film. Tons of people remember it. TDK was an overlong borefest for teenagers.
>>
Why do you people have to turn a potentially interesting thread into a sea of bitterness? Every film cited comes like if they somehow raped your sisters and now you want revenge.
>>
File: warhol_32soup.jpg (182 KB, 888x524) Image search: [Google]
warhol_32soup.jpg
182 KB, 888x524
>>63575926
Whenever I have conversations with people who like movies and are fairly well versed in the history, we usually discuss Boyhood. I've only met a few people who don't like it, myself included, but those that do usually argue it as the definitive representation of growing up in America in the present day. Regardless, I think it's a movie people still think about a lot if not for its formal ingenuity, how it represents the "American dream" and growing up in America.
>>
>>63577120
Everybody thinks Avengers are cool shit. The only modern superhero movies worth watching are Christopher Nolan's Batmans.
>>
>>63575597
>Being surprised that an actor is a Jew
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.