[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cloud Atlas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15
File: Cloud_Atlas_MTI_FINAL.jpg (2 MB, 1654x2553) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_Atlas_MTI_FINAL.jpg
2 MB, 1654x2553
What does /tv/ think of pic related?
>>
>>63568389
Beaut film. Big fan of the soundtrack.
>>
Asians don't have brow ridges. Women don't have dual cranial bosses. White people don't have Mongoloid craniofacial morphology.
>>
>>63568389
Its a mess imo
>>
>>63568517
This.
>>
I really liked it.
>>
>>63568389
racist af
>>
i liked it first time.

then rewatched and found it to be propagandey as fuck. le magic negro, muh faggots in love, muh revolushon, muh empowered blacc wymyn. only liked the old guys story. its literal teenager core core.
>>
>>63568517
A beautiful mess that will be considered as great one day.
>>
>>63568662
go back to nam, grandpa
>>
>>63568666

i dont think so, satan.
>>
>>63568666
>I think he might be right
>>
>>63568721

it as hamfisted as fuck. le magic negro is a stupid trope that shouldnt be used anymore, yet they still put some slave thats so wise and helpful and polite. really dumb stuff.
>>
File: 1445130106077.png (1 MB, 935x670) Image search: [Google]
1445130106077.png
1 MB, 935x670
>fell for the Cloud Atlas /tv/ meme
What a long, horrible, chaotic piece of shit. You guys are monsters. This is probably the single worst movie I have EVER had to sit through. The entire idea of the film could have been put in a 30 minute Dr Who episode. FFS these threads should be banned
>>
>>63568389
Honestly might be one of my favorite movies. I recognize it's not the best by a long shot, but it's like, the themes and gimmick are tailor-made for me.

I really really like the element repetition in the movie, and in Jazz and in comic-book multiple universes and even the Bioshock franchise. For some reason thinking that one simple change in a familiar thing can help highlight what you like about it so well. I really like this kind of thing.
>>
>>63568662
it's better than most teenager core these days like Hunger games, Divergent, etc
>>
>>63568666
The prince of lies speaks
>>
I could watch it on mute due to the visuals. The narrative? Meh I could take it or leave it.
>>
Libtard oscar bait. If it didn't enable faggots so hard no one would've ever talked about it. Horrible make-up effects too. It is the only film I can unironically say insists upon itself.
>>
It tried for something incredible and it kind of succeeded in a way, but not really.
>>
best movie of the Wachowski sisters after the Matrix.
>>
I liked the audio.
>>
I loved it. Probably the best movie in the last 50 years.
>>
>>63568389
only part worth watching is the cyberpunk subplot
>>
Hawaii > Neo Seoul > London > Pacific Islands > Cambridge >>> San Francisco
>>
>>63568721
it's also as if he doesn't understand that it's the year 2015 , or something !!!
>>
>>63571327
>cambridge
>that low

ARE THERE NO REAL SCOTSMAN HERE
>>
>>63571327
>>63571625
Oh shit, which one is Cambridge again?

I usually call them
>Gay Romance
>Old great escape
>>
This movie is fucking amazing I have no idea why more people don't love it
>>
>>63568389
The farming tribe vs the cannibals storyline was fucking horryfying and great. Still gives me nightmares.
>>
>>63571653
London old people
Cambridge faggots
>>
Decent but the "Same actors play a lot of characters" gimmick is it's greatest weakness.
>>
>>63568389
Good overall. It's a mess but somehow I remembered it well.
>>
File: 1442953734905.jpg (213 KB, 379x531) Image search: [Google]
1442953734905.jpg
213 KB, 379x531
>having to read the book
Jesus christ it's so bad
>>
>>63568389
9/10

one of the most memorable movies I've seen
>>
>>63572001
Isn't that kind of the point of the entire story?
>>
>>63572036
The book is immeasurably worse
>>
>>63568389

i loved it.
>>
>>63572036
>>63572062
Is it seriously? Never read it, only seen the film. I heard that it doesn't cut back and forth like the film though, and those rapid cuts was the best part of the film.
>>
>>63572075
The movie had more focus of multiple souls.
The book just had one sould many bodies
>>
>>63572075
the book is crap.
it goes 1,2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2,1
>>
File: facesofweaving.jpg (49 KB, 550x543) Image search: [Google]
facesofweaving.jpg
49 KB, 550x543
>>63572041
It is but i don't mean it is a weakness in terms of story. It is a weakness in terms of "let's slap some latex on them and pretend it looks great"
>>
>>63572075
The gimmick in the book is that each story is told chronologically but is split in half around the middle story, so the first half of the slave guy on the boat is the first thing you read and its second half is the last thing. It's completely pointless.
>>
Tbh I'd compare it to sense8 in the way I remembered it, although sense8 is far better
>>
File: 1378681363584.jpg (25 KB, 379x214) Image search: [Google]
1378681363584.jpg
25 KB, 379x214
>>63572123
>1,2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2,1

I understand that books cannot cut like films can, but at least changing it chapter by chapter would work, tons of books have done that in the past.
>>
>>63572075
Its a collection of completely unrelated short stories with extremely thin nods to the other stories that were clearly written when the author realized no one gives a fuck about short story compilations.

The bits not in the movie are worthless and the author has no real ideal how language evolves. For if you thought it was rough listening to tom hanks speak in future-tard-eese, imagine trying to read that shit.

The wachowskis took a complete mess and pulled it into a cohesive narrative, where the only flaw was giving halle berry work.
>>
>>63572158
the stories weren't divided into chapters, as I recall.
>>
>>63572145
Whats fun is ewing's journal being torn in half wasn't in the book. its a nod the wachowskis put in to how horribly the book was written.
>>
>>63568389
Wachowskis' last good movie they'll ever make
>>
>>63568389
Horrible. Plebs believe any messy film will be regarded as masterpiece one day. Same thing with The Fountain, also terrible, but at least had some nice visuals.
>>
>>63568662

I found that propoganda the first time. Maybe it's cuz I watched it high in theaters, but it is not a subtle movie in terms of agenda.

I still enjoyed it regardless, but it's not their best work. Better than fucking Jupiter Ascending though.
>>
>>63572226
I agree with this, they're better off in the world of tv and should stay there.
>>
>>63568389
Undoubtedly flawed, but it made me respect the Wachowskis a whole lot more as filmmakers. Pardon the obvious, but they had some serious balls to make a movie like this in the current industry climate. They also have an eye for a certain comic-book-esque feel that I think would actually have suited the Marvel films more than the bland direction they went with. More like Raimi's Spiderman. Excellent casting, the book has long been a favourite of mine and they captured a lot of the characters perfectly. It is practically impossible for a book like that to be adapted well, but they kept most of the thematically important scenes identical to how they appear in the book, word for word, which I think evidences a certain level of respect for the source material. The soundtrack is literally 10/10.

>>63570153
this is about as far from oscarbait as it is possible to get

>>63572075
don't listen to the plebs
it's stylistic, but it's hardly Infinite Jest
>>
The story structure should have been kept as in the book.

The gimmick of having actors play multiple roles was totally unnecessary.

The focus on Somni-451's Story was unjustified because imho that one is the weakest of them all.
>>
>>63572247
>implying The Fountain isn't the perfect film to watch before you die
>>
>>63572125
I don't see anything wrong with the makeup. What most people complain about the most is the asianification of white actors (and the asain to white abomination at the end). What people don't realize is the "pureblood" thing wasn't in the book. So all the natural humans looking like mongrel monstrosities while the fabricants look like pure lineage asians (and are the only pure lineage asians in neo-seoul) just further speaks to the insecurity/insanity of the setting.
>>
>>63572275
Now this I can agree with, also they're far better as writers than directors, they make cliches feel refreshing and have some great original ideas but they need a good mediating force to avoid the final product being too self-indulgent.
>>
>>63572285
>the book has long been a favourite of mine
Opinion literally in the trash
>>
>>63572158

The books is suppose to be a diary of different people all sharing the same soul. It's hard to read because you jump 16th century writing to future ebonicspeak
>>
>>63572353
>but they need a good mediating force to avoid the final product being too self-indulgent.

So you were triggered by the gay segments in sense8 and were unable to view them objectively.

As the LGBT stuff in sense8 was criticizing the LGBT on it's own terms.
>>
>>63572387
The book is much easier to follow than the film.
>>
File: 1439781220236.jpg (107 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1439781220236.jpg
107 KB, 500x400
>>63572387
>It's hard to read
>>
>>63568389

horrible adaptation of the novel.

convoluted, and pretentious.
>>
>>63572416
the future-tard-speak is much impossible to read, as the language follows no real logic or reasoning because the author had no real idea what he was doing. The 16th/18th century segments are pretty bad too, because they're just clumsily aping dickens.
>>
>>63572492
>the future-tard-speak is much impossible to read
It really isn't, there's nothing intelligent about how it's written but it's not hard to understand
>>
>>63572271
This
>>
>>63571948

In the book they rape a kid.
>>
>>63568794
>This is probably the single worst movie I have EVER had to sit through.

Wrong Jupiter Ascending is even worse
>>
>>63572285

Lana please, you can't ride on the success of Matrix forever
>>
>>63571327
London>Cambridge>PAcific Islands>Neo Seoul>Future Tom Hanks> San Fran
>>
>>63571327
The Sorrows of Young Werther> Environmental Thriller>Old Man's escape>Mutiny on the Bounty>Generic Sci-Fi>Future Hawaii
>>
>>63572492
You're just stupid.
>>
File: big guy mad.jpg (46 KB, 614x409) Image search: [Google]
big guy mad.jpg
46 KB, 614x409
>mfw the final chapter of Ghostwritten

wtf was Mitchell thinking
>>
story was a mess and it was pretentious as fuck, just like the book

looked really pretty though, one of the Wachowskis' better movies although that's not saying much
>>
>>63572158
The book was set up with the Diary on the boat as the first part, it was found, torn in half by the fag, his letters to his boyfriend were found by the lady investigator but only the first half, her story was written up as a treatment and given to the old guy in the retirement home but he lost the second half, his story was made into a movie that the asian robot lady saw the first half of, her confession to her sins was watched by the tribal guy in the last bit(the middle of the book).
He saw the start of her confession and then later in his tale he saw the second half just before the end of his story(which was an oral story told out loud, part of the book was the changing nature of storytelling, diary, letters, scripts, movies, brain-reading machine and then back to oral story-telling).
The tribal guy saw the second half of the Asian girls confession, she, when all the chaos was over asked to see the second half of the old-mans movie, the old man when his adventure was done with found the second half of the mystery story, the detective Luisa Rey met up with the gay guys niece at the end of her tale(or daughter? can't remember) who gave her the rest of the letters from the gay musician, the gay musician eventually found the other half of the journal and the journal ended. \
It was an interesting book. I liked it but I was pretty pissed by the time I got to the end because it had been five stories since I was with those characters and I forgot a few details here and there.
Also all the main characters in the book had a birthmark of a comet/shooting star.
>>
Incredible soundtrack that makes me cry evrytiem
>>
Nurse Hugo Weaving was pretty funny.
>>
>>63573792
I get weirdly emotional watching the trailer for this movie. They cut together a fantastic trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s
>>
It's a great movie despite some flaws.

It's such a relief nowadays to watch a movie that is interesting; a little different, or demands more attention than normal.
>>
>>63572410
No, they made Sense8 with the guy who did Babylon 5, if anything it's an excellent example of how they SHOULD work all the time.

>>63572492
>hurr durr better namedrop dickens because he's the only writer I know from that period
also, it's the fucking 19th century, you tard
>>
I've only read the book and it was fairly underwhelming by the end of it, so I never bothered to check out the film. It has a really interesting atmosphere to it that I can understand why the Wachowskis were interested, nearly every second of the story feels like huge cosmic forces are at work and fate is deeply involved with every decision, and that the characters are all in great danger being preyed upon in some way or other. It's kind of like a long form Darwinian evolutionary narrative, but it goes full 'happy ending' too much and sort of kills any of the books rawness for me. The most brutal parts I thought were (and I don't know how this is done in the film) the mincing factory that the fabricant robots are disassembled in, is described absolutely horrifically like it's some grotesque Bosch painting of limbs being ripped apart and such. I feel like he could only make that push because they were robots and not humans. Also the guy's writing style is almost annoyingly showy and ostentatious, like he's really going out on a limb to invent scenarios whereby he has to write in absurd, disjointed and wildly varying styles just to prove his own ability.
>>
>>63574038
>I feel like he could only make that push because they were robots and not humans
Completely wrong, if you read his other stuff you'd know that inserting well-written and grotesque moments as you described out of the blue including stuff like miscarriages and executions is pretty much one of his trademarks, dude has a bizarre gory streak
>>
>>63572175
>if you thought it was rough listening to tom hanks speak in future-tard-eese, imagine trying to read that shit.

Yeah, this was fucking excruciating trying to get through that chapter.

>OLE GEORGIE BIN SLOOSHIN RIGHTWAYS, NAY. OW MANY BIN BABBITS YE SLOSHED UP THA KOA 'NAN?
>>
>>63574038
>Also the guy's writing style is almost annoyingly showy and ostentatious, like he's really going out on a limb to invent scenarios whereby he has to write in absurd, disjointed and wildly varying styles just to prove his own ability.

He was basically trying too hard trying to imitate the writing style of that each era. I hope studios don't shy away from book adaptations because of this film flopped though. I want to see a well done house of leaves sometime in my lifetime.
>>
>>63574278
>I want to see a well done house of leaves sometime in my lifetime.
As brilliant as that could be in theory, it would most likely be shit.
>>
>>63574130
>Liked the movie well enough
>Decide to read the book
>Get to this section
>Force myself through it
>Realize it doesn't go 1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6 but 1,2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2,1
>Couldn't even bring myself to keep reading

Fuck man.
>>
>>63568389
an experiment that succeeded.

But 7.5/10 overall
>>
>>63574546
Holy shit. Never saw a more concise and accurate description in my life.
>>
>>63568389
Meme film for underage faggot memers.
>>
>>63568389
Scattered and silly
>>
File: x332ysqnzukjmryyokkt.jpg (184 KB, 625x508) Image search: [Google]
x332ysqnzukjmryyokkt.jpg
184 KB, 625x508
>>63574716
>>
The only good part was the car crash cinematography-wise. You know, the one where that journalist gets shoved into the river off a bridge in her beetle. The rest I didn't understand the point of. I guess the part with the old fart musician and his bitchboy was alright.
>>
>>63574821
Hi! Want to get some drinks?
>>
>>63574901
> Cuts to sex scene
>>
>>63574488

Same thing happened to me, I put it down for about 6 months after seeing the size of that Sloosha's Crossin' chapter. every line of that chapter was painful.
>>
>>63574035
> they made Sense8 with the guy who did Babylon 5,
Harlan Ellison?
>>
>>63574130
Best part was halle berry's character pretending to be one of the cannibals to rescue za'kary.

WHY THEY CUT THAT FROM THE FILM I HAVE NO IDEA
>>
I enjoyed it due to Hugo Weaving and Tom Hanks. Pretty cool seeing Tom play bad guys for once.
>>
I liked it.

I liked the book too. Neither of them was perfect, but it was interesting.

The fact TIME said this was the worst movie of 2012 was retarded.
>>
>>63576208
Worst movie of the year? Did they only watch like three movies that year?
>>
>>63577084
>Did they only watch like three movies that year?
Apparently so did the critics who said it was in their top 10. I don't know if it was in more top 10 worst or best lists, but it was in a shitload of both.
>>
File: cloud tumblr.jpg (349 KB, 1418x1000) Image search: [Google]
cloud tumblr.jpg
349 KB, 1418x1000
>all the good characters are racial or sexual minorities
>all the bad characters are straight white men

bravo
>>
>>63577151

here's the list

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-arts-lists/slide/one-for-the-money/
>>
>>63568389
gay as fuck and poorly made
>>
File: pol.jpg (334 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
pol.jpg
334 KB, 900x900
>>63577226
>all the bad characters are straight white men
There are some asian bad men. Also there are multiple straight male white heroes like Tom Hanks and Jim Broadbent. Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>63577326
Depicted as an idiot and a barbarian.

The bad asian men are still played by white actors.

Check and mate, tumblr
>>
>>63577379
Broadbent was lovable and courageous. Hanks was the least savage and greatest of all the people on his island, good or evil. Stop looking for reasons to get angry at things bizzaro-tumblr.
>>
File: tumblr_nuk93nfYHI1u0r0dgo1_500.jpg (68 KB, 500x433) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuk93nfYHI1u0r0dgo1_500.jpg
68 KB, 500x433
>>63577444
What a waste of full house dubs
>>
>>63568389
That "what is an ocean but a multitude of drops?" line was so fucking hamfisted it honestly felt like satire.

The movie was already pretty up its own ass but dear god the delivery of that line made me cringe so fucking hard.
>>
File: cloud-atlas.jpg (278 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
cloud-atlas.jpg
278 KB, 1920x816
>>63568480
>Asians don't have brow ridges. Women don't have dual cranial bosses. White people don't have Mongoloid craniofacial morphology.

Of course, but the underlying theme of the movie, is that the souls of all the characters reincarnate throughout history and as movies are a visual medium, they had to use varying levels of makeup on the same actors playing these wildly different characters.

It’s a fantastic book and I think they did a great job of adapting it as a movie.
>>
Liked pretty much everything except for the futuristic setting since that felt like a shitty matrix movie.
>>
its amazing, i really wish sense8 had a fraction of this magic.

its the only reason i watched jupiter ascending, which was horrible,
>>
>>63577680
>souls have physical appearances
bravo
>>
>>63568389
Very left-leaning but entertaining.
>>
File: Tom-Hanks-in-Cloud-Atlas.jpg (75 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
Tom-Hanks-in-Cloud-Atlas.jpg
75 KB, 600x250
>>63577838

Maybe, maybe not but in a _movie_ it becomes necessary to make it clear to the audience (who may have not read the book) that these different characters in different time periods throughout history, are essentially the same individuals being reincarnated again and again.
>>
>>63578007
i see your point but i think it was a dumb idea to represent it that way. the racial and gender makeovers were terrible.

i think they could've have found a better subtler way to show the reincarnation of souls into people of different race and gender.
>>
>>63568662
"le magic negro" is something SJWs oppose m8
>>
>>63577226
>Halle Berry was the little Asian man
>Hugh Grant was the cannibal

WHAT
>>
>>63568389
They made a shitty decision to make choose a diverse cast which made some of the makeup really difficult to handle. You can't make an Asian look like a white woman and think it'll turn out okay. They also made the mistake of making the future setting take place in an Asian country, so they had to make all the cast members look Asian. It's not that the makeup was bad but that they races of the cast and settings they chose made it impossible to make the makeup look spot on.

Other than the makeup though, I honestly love this movie. I've never read the book so it's quite possible it shits on it, but the movie alone is brilliant.
>>
>>63577226

Some of these karmic paths don't make a lot of sense.
>>
I really enjoyed the film. I liked a lot of the themes they played with, and I'm a sucker for anthologies. Plus being a makeup artist, it really hits home for me.
>>
>>63578892
They're meant to make sense?

Or do you mean they don't look correctly aligned?
>>
File: cloud-atlas-670.jpg (88 KB, 670x350) Image search: [Google]
cloud-atlas-670.jpg
88 KB, 670x350
>>63578154

Only the fake Asians were bad, most of the make up work was fantastic.
>>
Cloud Atlas was a nice piece of experimental cinema and the story line about the old man in the retirement home in particular was great.
>>
>>63568389
10/10 easily

one of the seldom times that I thought the RT critics are dumb fucks (I usually more or less agree with the site unless we're talking capeshit)

soundtrack is 10/10, brilliant mix of genres, 10/10 costumes/make-up
>>
>>63580430
Second from the left on the bottom looks like he's so tired of someone's bullshit.
>>
Literally The Fountain: For Redditors
>>
>>63578154
Retards in this thread have already said they found it hard to follow, and you're arguing for more subtlety.
>>
Pros:
Looked Nice
Asian chick got naked

Cons:
Everything else
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.