[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What distinguishes deep movies from pretentious movies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1449897734838.jpg (42 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1449897734838.jpg
42 KB, 500x388
What distinguishes deep movies from pretentious movies?
>>
>>63562165
if white millennial males agree with the premise
>>
fat neckbeards
or lonely teenagers who want to fit in on the internet
>>
Whether or not Reddit likes it.
>>
>>63562165
define deep
>>
One is 2deep4u the other only pretends to be deep. That's not so hard
>>
Pretentious = Malick
Deep = Nolan
>>
>>63562197
Deep = huge meaning under the surface, disguised by imagery, metaphors and so on.

I don't know.

I consider movies like Inception or The Fountain pretentious, because they pretend to have a lot of meaning but just fall flat.
But on the other side, movies by Tarkovsky are considered deep although they either have a very straightforward plot (Solaris) or just random elements thrown in (Stalker).
>>
If a movie's really deep, it might not be readily apparent.

If depth is at the forefront of the film, then it's probably pretentious.

A Deep filmmaker is trying to say something with film, a pretentious one is trying to use film to show you how deep he is.
>>
Deep movie = a movie whose visuals and story contain layers of information, each layer forming a coherent idea or theme. A deep movie often cannot be processed by watching it once, it requires rewatching and paying careful attention to details to absorb all the information contained in it. These various layers of information should ideally build on one another to create a single tapestry of meaning that defines the film.

Pretentious movie = a movie which pretends to have creative complexity or some serious message by using obscure allusions or weighty imagery. A pretentious movie, whenever it does not hamfistedly deliver its message with all the subtlety of a soap box speech, will use contrived ambiguity to "let the audience decide" what the meaning is (this is a favorite of lazy hacks who are so devoid of ideas they let the audience fill the blank for them).
>>
>>63562165
Depth.
>>
>>63562267
>>63562274
>>63562329
>>63562353
I need examples. What's a movie that pretends to be deep and one that's actually deep?
>>
>>63562267
>Inception
Never really pretended to have a deep meaning. Wasn't pretentious at all. Non-linear plot doesn't make it pretentious.
>>
>>63562395
If only I knew
>>
Pretentious: made after 1980
Deep: made before 1980

Pretentious: made by a kike or a slave to kikes
Deep: made by a "goy", usually of superior European descent

Pretentious: cited by plebs as deep without them being able to define its inherent qualities
Deep: cited by scholars as genre-defining for the right reasons

saged and hidden.
>>
>>63562533
>Deep: cited by scholars as genre-defining for the right reasons
Never happened.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.