[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Phantom Menace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: Obi-Wan-Anakin-Meeting.jpg (66 KB, 610x354) Image search: [Google]
Obi-Wan-Anakin-Meeting.jpg
66 KB, 610x354
There's a lot problems with this movie.

Let's start with few with the Trade Federation. What were they getting out of this arrangement with Darth Sidious?

Seems they lost a lot of droids and equipment for nothing. Just what did Sheev promise them?
>>
And why did they have the droids land their invasion force on the other side of Naboo?

The people there are pacifists and didn't have much for weapons. Why not just land in the Capital City?
>>
File: TF_Battleship.png (2 MB, 1920x815) Image search: [Google]
TF_Battleship.png
2 MB, 1920x815
That's some impressive blockade they have there. Too bad they couldn't stop one ship from getting through...
>>
>>63560472
yeah, it's a flawed movie, but i hear people talking about its flaws all the time. what about discussing its good points?
>>
File: SI_Natalie_Portman_010.jpg (56 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
SI_Natalie_Portman_010.jpg
56 KB, 852x480
>>63560951
Only thing good was Padme and Darth Maul
>>
>>63560951
the characters were memorable
you got the feeling that there really was a massive civilization spanning the galaxy
Natalie Portman a cute
that's all I got
>>
RED
>>
The Prophecy of the One Who Will Bring Balance to the Force.

Just where did this come from?
Who was the prophet?
Why do the Jedi believe it?
Did Anakin really bring "balance" to the force?
>>
>>63560472
>>63560738
>>63560925
>guys, I just watched the Plinkett reviews XD
>>
File: 1405391461229.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1405391461229.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>63561949
He brings some really good points on how the prequels don't work. Plot holes and lack of character really bog these films down.

I like how nobody has stepped up to answer those questions here either. STUMPED
>>
>>63560472

>What were they getting out of this arrangement with Darth Sidious?

We actually have no idea, more importantly we have no idea why Sidious needed that treaty signed or what it was supposed to do for him. If you go by the logic that it was his intention to have Padme come to Coruscant to start a process to kick the former chancellor out so that Palp could take over the treaty isn't just a hindrance to his plan, but actively prevents it from happening. So his two goals are contradictory and nothing makes any sense.
>>
>>63562041
Nigger, the Plinkett reviews have been out for fucking YEARS and a lot of the points he brings up were well established plot holes before he ever talked about them.

Yes he does some very insightful analysis, but literally millions of people have watched his reviews and gone over them already. You missed out, nobody is impressed when you quote his reviews.
>>
>>63561949
>>63562041

/tv/ hates the plinkett reviews but can't refute them because as much as people here love being contrarians these movies are generally indefensible beyond "I enjoyed them".
>>
>>63560472
Trade federation put up those embargoes at the suggestion of Darth Sidious to play both the separatist movement and the republic by creating artificial demand, to give rise to tensions, to supply droids to one side and clones and equipment to the other at more and more inflated prices as the war went on. Basically, their aim was to help create a war they would profit from. Good luck gathering that from the movies though, Lucas forgot how to explain that as with so much else.
>Heroes on both sides
Nope, don't see that in the movies. But you do see that in the Clone Wars series, as with so much else that should have been in the movies.
>>
>>63562087

/tv/ hates plinkett reviews because people constantly repeat them near verbatim as if they were their own new ideas
>>
>>63561039

She didn't sell me as 14 at all though.
>>
>>63560925

The only thing I didn't get about the blockade is how exactly it is suppose to block anything.

I mean look at it from that shot, there's clearly no nothing blocking anything to the left, so why not just leave the planet over there and skip the entire blockade mess?
>>
>>63562250
/tv/ hates plinkett reviews because it was unpopular but now its popular
>>
Ham-fisted political commentary by bravo Lucas
>>
>>63560738

First of all, collateral damage. They assumed the senate would send a committee or someone to investigate and if half of Naboo was in ruins by then, someone might smell the smoke.

Secondly, the Trade Federation knew about the Gungans, but assumed they'd be the weakest element and not part of the senate so it'd be wise to strike there first. They didn't know that the Gungans had quite the army ready.
>>
File: max_zorin_by_jam_wah-d3ycnas.jpg (420 KB, 1000x1419) Image search: [Google]
max_zorin_by_jam_wah-d3ycnas.jpg
420 KB, 1000x1419
In what order should I watch the films? Are the newer films worth watching?
>>
File: 1435968759330.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1435968759330.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
Can we all agree that he got a horrible character with a horrible script and horribly underwhelming relation to the other characters, but Hayden did nothing wrong?
>>
>>63562919
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Be prepared for the first 3 being the worst, but if you're preparing for 7, it'd be best to watch them all in order.
>>
>>63562919
>>
>>63562885
If they did investigate wouldn't it be awkward to see the whole city occupied with droids? What about the queen? Wouldn't they care that she went missing?
>>
>>63562924
None of the actors did really, blaming them is something a normie that doesn't know anything about film making and only knows about "stars" and actors does. Blame the script, the direction, the staging methods used and the limits of a newly emerged technology first. And even then, it's also down to casting the right person for the role than the actor himself, Jake Lloyd for example did his best with the stuff he was given and at a level that was expected for someone so young, and Ahmed Best did as he was instructed with Jar Jar in a well acted, professional manner.
>>
>>63562924
>I hate sand

Yeah I don't think anyone could have salvaged that
>>
>>63562924

Hayden is a mediocre actor that was only cast because he's good looking and tall. That said, the prequels weren't his fault, he's only a small cog in the machine.
>>
>>63562995
Imagine Meryl Streep saying it.
>>
>>63562919

Watch them in release order as was intended.

Star Wars (1977)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Return of the Jedi (1983)

You can then watch the prequel trilogy if you really feel like you need more Star Wars but be prepared for a pretty drastic change in tone, story, and aesthetic.
>>
>>63562924

It wasn't Hayden's fault, but if he had been a more seasoned actor he would have realized that the script was garbage and Lucas didn't know how the character should act and he would have worked something out in the same way that Ewan did with Obi-Wan.
>>
>>63562063
Not really, if anything it would prolong the crisis and the queen could tell the senate she signed it under duress. Palpatine would do the same thing of stepping in and appearing to sort it all out, but it would have looked better because the senate would be debating if the invasion was legal rather than if it happened or not.

Also the Nemoidians were afraid of repercussions so it was in their interest to get it signed as well.
>>
>>63563091
>Star Wars
Retard detected
>>
File: 13212132421.gif (1 MB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
13212132421.gif
1 MB, 300x217
>>63563891
>>
>>63560472

The only character in this movie with any struggle, who eventually finds their place in the world, is Jar Jar.

Jar Jar is main protagonist
>>
>>63562924
"wow, this is like that time you did all that cool stuff that made us like each other which will never be shown, haha"
"yes, we have a good relationship"

>go on to be massive cunts to each other the rest of the movie
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.